FLOWER & Mad World (Short ver. MVs on YouTube) - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 17th June 2016, 08:55 PM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbow View Post
... Yes, she should mess up her real hair for a music video.
Or alternatively an original idea instead of using a tired old trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...portantHaircut
Old 17th June 2016, 08:59 PM
Because of You Initiate

FLOWER: I can feel the mental, psychopath scary part of ayu from the PV. Well done. I have never felt that when I watch her PV

Mad World: I like she used her old videos in the PV. Simple yet meaningful.

I think the only one thing I don't like in this album is Winter Dairy PV.. I don't like that song and PV.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 17th June 2016, 09:01 PM
Because of You Initiate

I've watched the videos at work, and did that now again. I have to say i really like these.

Flower was...how to put it. The first 20 seconds or so she's being so graceful and elegant and stuff, but it looks so...sarcastic. And then she just goes berserk. And that sort of amateurish fillming style. I dunno i love the raw emotion in it. Exagerated and overdid. It works perefectly for the song. And it does remind me of Lico from Helter Skelter.

Mad world, that one wa just beautiful. The subtle atmosphere and simplicity. It goes great with the song. And that Ayu portrayal versus Ayumi Hamasaki is very well done.

I think this whole album is mature but yet still very Ayu in all ways. There are a few details that could have been better, but this is by far the best for me from recent years. A trully solid pack of puzzle that go well together. And i'm actually kind of glad she didn't go the traditional rote. I think everything works really well.
Old 17th June 2016, 09:03 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Why does it need to be original or shocking to be a valid form of expression? I can see why you'd find it tiring, I just don't see why ideas can't be repeated as long as it isn't an absolute replica, especially as a mainstream artist.

Edit: Should also add, why not repeat them when the artist feels it is honest? After all, there's always a new group of people that won't have seen the trope before.

Last edited by TheRainbow; 17th June 2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 17th June 2016, 09:07 PM
Initiate

I like the previews, I don't have a problem with her acting in FLOWER. I think it suits the song and reminds me of her acting in Mirrorcle World like over the top on purpose. I kind of imagined Mad World to be something similar to what she did so I'm happy with it, and I love that she included the older clips in the background.
Old 17th June 2016, 09:08 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbow View Post
Why does it need to be original or shocking to be a valid form of expression? I can see why you'd find it tiring, I just don't see why ideas can't be repeated as long as it isn't an absolute replica, especially as a mainstream artist.
I agree.

I'm nothing but content with these PVs.
Old 17th June 2016, 09:09 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
Lol I don't think these videos are meaningless -- sure, there's meaning and intent behind them -- but I think that they are just lame as fuck. There, I said it.

There's nothing remotely interesting or innovative about the execution, nor does she seem to have anything remotely interesting to say.

For those who say that this era is about doing 'simple' - yea, like how she basically dug deep into the recesses of her complex soul to decide that a clean shot of her smiling at the camera is the most groundbreaking concept ever for the covers of the TA edition of the album, amirite?

There's nothing wrong with a simple, pared down video. I think Utada Hikaru's PV for "Hikari" was simple but beautifully executed (and I am always first and foremost an Ayu fan before I am a Hikki fan).

I honestly feel like she should have just released the album WITHOUT any PVs because the existence of these videos is seriously marring my experience of the album. Flower is such a powerful song, and watching her flail like that just undercuts everything with humour for me. Can't take it seriously at all.

EDIT:

Rewatched the Flower clip again JUST to see if there are any redeeming factors that I might have missed out on and all I can uncover are EVEN more flaws, like the false start to the vocal part just before she starts singing at the start, like she was gonna sing too early and changed her gestures to save it. It's like they couldn't even be arsed to do a new take to rectify that. -_-
thank u

Also, just because she's doing something on purpose doesn't mean it's good LOL. She looks like a 12y/o singing karaoke in front of her webcam. The fact that people defend this let alone genuinely LIKE it makes me feel like I'm on a different planet from AHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post
I can't with the dramatics in this thread Even going as far as saying THEY'RE "embarrassed" for her? As if she gives a fuck lol Never change AHS. The mess is entertaining
I'm embarrassed for you too sweetie

Last edited by koumori; 17th June 2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: edited in the double post
Old 17th June 2016, 09:24 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcika View Post
I've watched the videos at work, and did that now again. I have to say i really like these.

Flower was...how to put it. The first 20 seconds or so she's being so graceful and elegant and stuff, but it looks so...sarcastic. And then she just goes berserk. And that sort of amateurish fillming style. I dunno i love the raw emotion in it. Exagerated and overdid. It works perefectly for the song. And it does remind me of Lico from Helter Skelter.

Mad world, that one wa just beautiful. The subtle atmosphere and simplicity. It goes great with the song. And that Ayu portrayal versus Ayumi Hamasaki is very well done.

I think this whole album is mature but yet still very Ayu in all ways. There are a few details that could have been better, but this is by far the best for me from recent years. A trully solid pack of puzzle that go well together. And i'm actually kind of glad she didn't go the traditional rote. I think everything works really well.
omg yES!!! I was trying to remember who she was reminding me of in the video, and that's totally Lilico! Even the butterflies in her dress give it a Helter Skelter vibe.

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 17th June 2016, 09:28 PM
WE WISH Initiate

But I really don't understand how Hikari is beautifully executed but Mad World isn't? Like, in what universe? Mad World is on par with many of ayus PVs old and new.
It is interesting to me and I really enjoy the vibe of it. It doesn't feel tired at all. I think what she is trying to say is as interesting as any of her other more simplistic PVs.

I can understand with flower because it wasn't executed well and her acting is too much. But Mad World? Hikari? Really?

And for whoever said ayu doesn't care about what anyone thinks so why would she portray legitimate emotions in music videos (and I'm guessing her music)? You sound someone in a relationship making some irrational arguments and connecting things that don't even make sense. Lol, ayu is a still a person, with connections to her music, opinions, emotions, views of the worldworld, etc. Not catering to certain expectations or desires does not equal not putting emotion into artwork. You just sound bitter that she even ever expresses negative emotion anymore because she's so privileged.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 17th June 2016, 11:16 PM
still alone Initiate

FLOWER PV: I thought she looked sooo beautiful in that video. I would say it is one of my favorite Ayu looks, the hair and makeup and dress just looked so good to me. When she started ripping up the dress I was kinda sad. I did not like the acting, I thought it was a little too much, making it awkward. But it's passable. So far not my favorite PV but it has some good qualities. I have to see more first.

MAD WORLD PV: I don't know what to think of this PV to be honest. The preview doesn't give away too much. Just black and white with Ayu standing there with retro footage being shown. Then this black ink like stuff appears. I like it so far but I think we need to see the whole thing first to really understand it.

As for all the negativity in this thread. I can see why some people may not like these videos and some people list valid reasons why. But they are only PVs after all, don't freak out over it. One of the good things about being an Ayu fan is that if you aren't really in love with the current era, the next album is only 1 year away.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:35 PM
Because of You Initiate

I find it ironic that everyone is saying she's overreacting in Flower. I can totally see here going"oh so that's what you want? is this hand graceful enough?no? how about now? Does that profile look good? Is my lipsynching perfect?" in a cutesy voice. And then she goes on and rips everything appart being ridiculously over the top like "Fuck you! I'm no longer taking all of this BS." This video can pretty much be taken as "I am tired of this whole nonsence, i'm just gonna be ME. Take it or leave.". It's like she's kinda laughing in people's faces in it. Kind of trolling everyone, on purpose. LOL Or maybe i'm just looking too much into it. But i like that.

Last edited by BlackSilence; 17th June 2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:41 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

I believe Flower is more about Ayu as a woman than it is about Ayu the superstar... Felt like she breaking down under the pressure of what is expected for a woman in Japan.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 17th June 2016, 11:45 PM
Because of You Initiate

it's kind of the same thing though. She's supposed to be perfection either way and she hasn't been neither of those for the past few years in the eyes of japanese people. Even if you take it as a woman thing, the whole scenario fits just right for that too.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:48 PM
Who... Initiate

Rewatching Flower I can agree that the "amateur-looking" way of filming adds onto the overall rawness she's trying to show us, and that's
really good because thank god it's growing on me, I don't think I dislike any of the videos

Set by YuriChan

Old 18th June 2016, 12:01 AM
Because of You Initiate

As for mad world. With some saying how she was made in japan and destroyed by it. I think the whole song being a methaphor for her own career and life is a very acuraate guess. The whole entertainment industry is. They make these trees grow and bloom aka they let all these people reach for the sun and for their dreams, but if they don't grow in the direction they want, it's done. I mean look at how many idols and entertainment people have had sucess but then one single slip and it was all over because japan doesn't know how to forgive them? That video makes perfect sense. If the black ink is thrown at the "Hamasaki Ayumi" the Ayu that is "hiding" there is smeared up in the whole thing too. And it's not the image of the popstar that has to deal with it, but the human bechind it.
Old 18th June 2016, 01:26 AM
Daybreak Guardian

I thought it was obvious that the overacting in FLOWER was intentional, just like in Don't look back (that's the first example that comes to my mind). I also believe that the "amateurism" in the video makes it even more raw.

I know that people are entitled to their opinions but I find it impossible to understand how Hikari is "beautiful and well-executed" while FLOWER and Mad World are cheap and crappy. I bet y'all didn't find amazing a footage of Utada washing dishes back when the video was released
Old 18th June 2016, 01:28 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
One can be a fan of an artist without having to blindly love everything she does, especially when there are clear deficiencies in the work...
The thing is it's sort of forbidden to criticize any aspects of her work or reveal unpleasant truth on this forum unless you want to be attacked by diehard fans who can't respect opinions different from theirs.
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~ (11.05, 12.05 (Yokohama), 15.05, 16.05 (Osaka)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2013-2014 A (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2014-2015 A, Cirque de Minuit (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2015 Cirque de Minuit ~真夜中のサーカス~(11.04, 12.04 Saitama)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2015-2016 A ~MADE IN TOKYO~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』(29.12, 30.12)
Old 18th June 2016, 01:35 AM
Trauma Initiate

less is more
Old 18th June 2016, 01:48 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
The thing is it's sort of forbidden to criticize any aspects of her work or reveal unpleasant truth on this forum unless you want to be attacked by diehard fans who can't respect opinions different from theirs.
Just gonna say she probably made these songs and videos for a reason and it has to do with a lot of the reactions we see here. I also hate the word blind in conjunction with fandom as if being dissatisfied makes you see things more clearly... Seriously?

As Ayu says in Mad World, tbh....

This era makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 18th June 2016, 02:01 AM
SAKURA Initiate

I, for one, can't stop watching these videos. I hate how they cut off at such exciting moments, when it's all about to get so much better (especially for "Mad World") But anyway...like I've said, I can't stop watching. I just love the concept/theme/style of it all: they may be simple, but I've pretty much gotten used to these kinds of videos within the past two years. It's nice to have a bit of an difference, for a change! I love the scenes of ayu (looking gorgeous! ) in that black dress, while in the ink in "Mad World" - and "FLOWER" has got so much going on with ayu, that I just reeeally want to watch more! I adore her very Japanese-styled dress/make-up, though...at least until it all gets ruined.

I'm seriously hoping the full videos will be available, pretty soon! But for now, it's repeating these short versions, I go~

Lisa on social media @ twitter & tumblr!

Tags
flower, m(a)de in japan, mad world, made in japan