Does Ayu's voice ever hurt your ears? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 7th May 2017, 04:46 PM
Daybreak Initiate

Does Ayu's voice ever hurt your ears?

This isn't meant to be a mean or funny post, but lately I've found her voice to be EXTREMELY difficult to listen to in some songs where she sings high notes.

For example, UNITE and Hello new me have a few parts in the chorus where I literally have to turn down the volume because there's parts in their choruses where her voice creates a sharp pain in my ear.

I'm not sure if this is just bad mixing or bad EQ settings on my part, but it's been a problem for me and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with her voice on some songs?
Old 7th May 2017, 09:59 PM
1 LOVE Initiate

Sometimes If I use cheap lq earphones I can't bear her voice, lol.

TWICE

Old 7th May 2017, 10:34 PM
still alone Initiate

There are a lot of variables that can cause this.
It could be that you are listening to music with the volume too high. It can cause damage to your hearing. It could also be your headphones. If you are using cheap ear buds, they may have a very tinny, sharp, treble heavy sound and Ayu's voice is really pushing the limits. If you are using EQ settings on a music player I would try setting it to Flat and see if that helps. Also mastering/mixing is awful these days. The dynamic range is killed when they create the final version of the song that is released to us. Music is literally louder today.
When I first heard forgiveness I also had to turn the volume down because it was a bit much for my ears.
Old 8th May 2017, 04:22 AM
No way to say Initiate

Her voice hurts my ears since 2006.

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 8th May 2017, 08:27 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

I have it with lots of songs from Love songs (November, Thank U, crossroad, Like A Doll and Virgin Road and some from her older discography, like the ones you said, and SEASONS and Endless Sorrow..

I do not know how most songs from her debut album sound like, because songs like For my dear... have ruined it for me.
imo, her voice is most beautiful during RAINBOW - GUILTY eras. I wish I could say it is even better now, but then I realized songs like Step By Step, NO FUTURE, Mr. Darling, The Show Must Go on, snowy kiss, Missing, petal, Hello New Me, Feel The Love and even Zutto... hurt my ears. Luckily, it does not make me dislike the song, so I still love a lot from the songs I just called out.

Not sure whether I am just becoming deaf, or that the quality or some songs are just... like that. Because to me it does not really matter if I use crappy headphones or when I just listen from my laptop.

Old 9th May 2017, 03:58 AM
Secret Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantatu2 View Post
LOL!

I don't have any issues with her voice tbh. Although I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:19 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

I love For My Dear... but when she specifically sings the ii parts, it hurts my ears

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 9th May 2017, 12:01 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Her voice always hurt my ears... Well except 2006-2010

praying for your souls

Old 9th May 2017, 08:12 PM
appears Initiate

I actually miss her deep vibrato from around the (miss)understood/Secret/GUILTY/NEXT LEVEL era. One of my favorite tracks from her is still Secret.

I wouldn't say Ayu's voice causes any pain for me, but when she sings like she does in You&Me (the baby-ish voice), it actually causes me noticeable physical discomfort. There are other tracks she's done in recent years where this is much more common in her singing, and they all cause some level of physical or mental stress. Songs like The GIFT, Anything for You, Feel the love, where she's singing too much in head voice throughout the song, it's just too much for me.

However, I love songs like Last angel... Jesus. That song still makes the hair on my arms stand. When Ayu shows more versatility in her singing, she blows me away.

On a side note, I have a hard time with Namie's voice in a lot of songs too. She always seems bored of her music, her videos, her dance routines, etc.

-> <-
Old 11th May 2017, 07:44 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

sometimes
Old 11th May 2017, 10:16 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I really enjoy Ayu's voice until 2006. Even the high notes on "Connected", "Kanariya" and even on "UNITE". But I can't bear her vibrato when she ends in "a" vowel since 2008. I dunno. I think it doesn't hurt my ears but my feelings.

rusuke's music Livejournal /// rusuke's music blogspot

Ayumi Hamasaki is my Right wing and GACKT is my Left wing

Loving AYU ~15th AYU-versary~(2002.02.02)

Old 11th May 2017, 04:36 PM
YOU Initiate

no... her voice has never caused any pain. if it did why would I listen to it? this topic however was quite painful lol.
Old 14th May 2017, 01:28 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
[...] I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.
Absolutely. The excessive yelling parts in "Terminal" make it hard to enjoy the song as a whole but I love "Terminal" with passion in terms of its instrumental and the parts where Ayu sings in a more tranquil tone. The "Kimi nii" for instance sounds beautiful and trancy unlike the distorted hyaena-esque screaming.

Imagine Ayu would have yelled like this in "Connected". It'd have destroyed the entire trance vibe. Vocals have to fit that genre perfectly or else it just won't work.

For this very reason my first choice always is the dub mix of "Terminal", a really nice tune. Alas we don't have an instrumental version of the Original mix, though. It sounds quite different from the dub mix and Avex failed to add it to the single for whatever reason.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:38 PM
æternal Initiate

No. Not at all. I actually love her iiiiiii. They're addicting. There were times when they're out of place or not properly done especially when i'm on her lives but generally, her voice dont hurt me

facebook | instagram | twitter

Old 17th May 2017, 02:39 AM
No way to say Initiate

Feel The Love especially.
Old 20th May 2017, 04:49 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Only the chorus of Hello new me. But I think it has to do more with the mixing (the backvocals make it worse, I feel?).

Old 20th May 2017, 07:51 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Talking

I've never experienced that, except her performance of Terminal, she sounds like too much high on minute 2:21 but I know it's not because of her, but because of the sound technician, I guess.

Link: https://youtu.be/EaeqaFlcClY

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantatu2 View Post
LOL memeo x'DDDDD

Last edited by Teiji92; 20th May 2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: YouTube link
Old 20th May 2017, 10:31 PM
starting over Initiate

Ayu is going deaf, she's doing her best. Leave her alone
Old 21st May 2017, 02:06 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
LOL!

I don't have any issues with her voice tbh. Although I personally think she ruined Terminal by trying to hit notes that were well outside her range.
I used that part as an alarm for a while xD it's so sharp that it woke me up (although I did grow to resent the song as a whole because of it lmao)

Signature presented by the amazing majrakun <3 thanks photobucket
MY
Twitter | last.fm | Facebook | Tumblr

Old 22nd May 2017, 05:57 PM
Because of You Initiate

i only have to skip ASFXX and Loveappears albums because i HATE her voice there. I just cannot stand it. But from then on i'm perfectly fine with it.