"Mysterious" lyrics in Ayu songs - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 9th October 2010, 08:48 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: where the Sexy little things Sparkle and sing Love songs (California)
I just know that the voice in Ladies Night is a woman using a vocoder or whatever it is, so it is a bit distorted. I still think that part of the original Sweetbox song remains the same in ayu's version.

♥sweet&simple♥
ღGraphic Junkies, UNITE!ღ
Old 9th October 2010, 03:24 PM
Replace Initiate

It's a distortion filter. (I wish more people knew what a vocoder was >_<)

It sounds like Ayu copying Jade's voice in the original Ladies Night demo. It's definitely not the same voice there as in the Sweetbox version, and Ayu's accent sounds right but you can't tell what she's saying - that screams "copying someone else without a lyric sheet nearby" to me. It sounds very much like her voice.

Someone should just ask Ayu on twitter and put rest to this "mystery" once and for all x_x
Old 7th November 2010, 03:32 PM
forgiveness Initiate

^I'd say it was ayu saying it, but I'm not sure. It really sounds nothing like her at all. The english is too clear imo, which is funny because at the same time, it's so distorted. haha. If you compare the english there to the english in any other song, it doesn't match up. In the booklet, do the credits say that ayu did all vocals for the song?

EDIT: This is what it says in the booklet

Quote:
B.G. Vocal: Gloria Ryann, Chantale Cerisier, Vickie Natale

Vocoder Voice: Jusme
http://ayumi.primenova.com/cdscans/c...arge/mu04b.jpg

vocoder voice? so does that mean the person saying whatever it is, might actually not be ayumi?
Old 7th November 2010, 03:53 PM
Replace Initiate

A vocoder is a voice that doesn't even sound discernably human. It sounds like a computer saying words - it mostly sounds like a strange robotic, buzzing voice, and it's often difficult to understand what's being said. See "Mr. Blue Sky" be Electric Light Orchestra, "Intergalactic" by the Beastie Boys, "Mr. Roboto" by Styx, and the way the Cylons talked in the old Battlestar Galactica.

Yay wikipedia! Here's what it sounds like without a melody. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vocoder_demo.ogg

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 7th November 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 7th November 2010, 05:11 PM
forgiveness Initiate

^ooohh.. :OO

but there were those sounds. dj lose them, can't replace them, yada yada. parts of it were weird roboticy different pitched sounds. and if those where the vocoder voices by jusme, then the rap isn't entirely done by ayu.
Old 7th November 2010, 07:23 PM
Replace Initiate

That isn't vocoder, it's distortion... sorta makes it sound like a person talking on a phone, not a computer imitating a person.

There's vocoder happening BEHIND that, going on at the same time.

Here, I've gone into audacity so you can hear exactly where it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4d1r83qo5cd9jht

Part 1: "Danger" sounds like it COULD be distortion plus autotune, but it could be vocoder too.
Part 2: That "bwa-da, bwa-da" synth instrument in the background here isn't a synth instrument, it's a person "singing" nonsense through a vocoder.
Part 3: Not the rap, the main synth melody in the background. Sounds sorta like it could be words, but i have no clue what they are. By the nature of the vocoder's sound it's very hard to tell what the words are, but it doesn't just sound like a keyboard being played.
Part 4: Same thing as part three, but being played during a verse rather than the rap. Not the "ah-ha." As I mentioned, a vocoder is barely even discernible as a voice.

THAT is vocoder. It's used as an instrument through a good part of the song actually.

The voice saying "I'd like you to watch me until that day, that day" in "until that Day..." is also vocoder, and the voice saying "one two three four you and me" in the instrumental break part of "STEP you" is as well. In those cases no vocoder credit is given probably because it was a mixing/arrangement decision and a vocoder effect was placed onto something already recorded rather than someone actually singing through a vocoder, which seems to be what happened in Ladies Night.

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 7th November 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 7th November 2010, 09:03 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: where the Sexy little things Sparkle and sing Love songs (California)
Yea, the only reason I said a vocoder is because it's in the credits...so I figured that is what they were using for the voice...but I guess not.

♥sweet&simple♥
ღGraphic Junkies, UNITE!ღ
Old 29th April 2013, 03:57 PM
Dolls Initiate

Hmm...very interesting thread. Perhaps there's more lyrics of these kind, especially on the newer albums which were not very analyzed.

Tags
ayumi, english, hamasaki ayumi, lyrics