Ugh, I have to say this. - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Old 19th May 2008, 10:42 PM
still alone Initiate

Ugh, I have to say this.

Please stop using pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ as a shorthand form for Japanese/Japan. It's a racial slur, and my family has suffered the effects from WWII and I take offense to it. So, could you please stop it?
Old 19th May 2008, 10:50 PM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
Using that word on this forum is not allowed. Please report anyone seen using this term so we can tell them to stop.

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 19th May 2008, 11:36 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

I dont understand a thing. what happened?

Strangely, these days I just like things that are easy
generasia
MusicShop Gallery
Utada Hikaru Discography OLIVIA Discography
Base Ball Bear Discographymoumoon DiscographyJUJU Discography

Old 19th May 2008, 11:42 PM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

hmm what did happen? and i haven't seen anyone use that word, it's so offensive
Spoiler:
just like people who call chinese "chinks", not that i've seen anyone use that word here
Old 19th May 2008, 11:44 PM
Initiate

I saw the word pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ used once or twice . I used to use it too , until a friend of mine told me they were really hurt by it so I stopped .

But yeah a lot of people have used it though :O, Searching pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~

Last edited by Bashumaru; 19th May 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:20 AM
immature Initiate

pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ also stands for Jewish American Princess/Prince.

lol

set Yoake

Old 20th May 2008, 12:22 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Space Holiday View Post
pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ also stands for Jewish American Princess/Prince.

lol
Lol, My teacher said that XD, I didn't even know until she told me , she hipper than me XD.

Old 20th May 2008, 12:28 AM
KaoriNeko

I don't think people have been using it here as a slur. At least I haven't seen it. The only times I've seen it was when someone wanted to abbreviate Japanese. I think they'd look pretty dumb posting racial slurs on a forum dedicated to a Japanese singer. O.O

But Huaka, I totally understand where you're coming from. It's a really hurtful word.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:28 AM

oh some1 before has asked if it's rude topic about it
Old 20th May 2008, 12:29 AM
dddaiyamondo

I think using it towards a person is rude, but I don't see it as racist if you're just using it as shorthand for Japanese. My Japanese Literature teacher (who is Japanese-American) refers to our class as pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~-Lit all the time. But yeah, I agree maybe it would be best if it is kept off this forum to prevent anyone getting pissed.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:30 AM
SCAR Initiate

Doesn't it clearly state this in the Japan Forum? Whoever is doing it, go to the Japan forum and read it.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:40 AM
HONEY Protector

Even if you are just referring to shorthand for Japanese, it's not allowed. It's like using the N word, it's inappropriate even if you don't mean offense by it.

Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 20th May 2008, 12:49 AM
SURREAL Initiate

But isn't that a little different since no one uses the N word as an abriviation.

Old 20th May 2008, 02:20 AM
HONEY Protector

It's not different in that it can be used in different situations to not be meant offensively. Here, though, it would be quite inappropriate even if you didn't mean it in a degrading way- it's still offensive to people. The pakistani abbreviation is another good example. Words are powerful, and on this international forum of all ages and cultures, we have to be respectful and use respectful terms. So, do not use that word in any situation on this forum because it is disrespectful.

Old 20th May 2008, 02:44 AM
Startin' Protector

Sometimes I honestly think we (as in the whole darn world) need to be issued a pamphlet on what's considered offensive anymore. I found out the other month that apparently "oriental" is offensive now when regarding people. I don't think I can take it anymore. XD
Old 20th May 2008, 02:48 AM

^ seriously...oriental is offending now? @_@...
Old 20th May 2008, 02:50 AM
SAKURA Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Space Holiday View Post

lol
LOL i hear that in school all the time! i go to a jewish school, so yea.

anyway, i'd never use pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ as in reference to japanese people being low or disgusting. god forbid, that's such a horrible thing to say.

i know how i would feel if i was called a "jew". i mean, my friends use it to joke about themselves everyday (you gotta be in my class to understand ), but it has the same bad meaning as pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~, so i understand where people are coming from. it all depends on HOW you use these kind of slurs.

Lisa on social media @ twitter & tumblr!

Last edited by Beauty4123; 20th May 2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 20th May 2008, 03:04 AM
HONEY Protector

Words and their connotations are always shifting... words that were once not offensive can become, and it can happen the other way around. 'Retarded' is now very offensive, and has been replaced with metally disabled.

It's really not hard, everyone should just try to be aware of who is listening and what words you should use and when. I have a potty mouth sometimes, but there is a certain place for when it comes out

Old 20th May 2008, 03:16 AM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybobory View Post
It's not different in that it can be used in different situations to not be meant offensively. Here, though, it would be quite inappropriate even if you didn't mean it in a degrading way- it's still offensive to people. The pakistani abbreviation is another good example. Words are powerful, and on this international forum of all ages and cultures, we have to be respectful and use respectful terms. So, do not use that word in any situation on this forum because it is disrespectful.
Paki is offensive? There were a few girls in my high school who were Pakistani and they called themselves Paki all the time. Every Pakistani person I've ever met has referred to themselves as Paki at one point or another, I thought it was just an abbreviation like "Flip" for Filipino (please don't tell me that's offensive now too ). But from what I've read, Paki is only offensive in Britain, Australia and Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Sometimes I honestly think we (as in the whole darn world) need to be issued a pamphlet on what's considered offensive anymore. I found out the other month that apparently "oriental" is offensive now when regarding people. I don't think I can take it anymore. XD
From my experience, "Oriental" is offensive in the States, and not at all in the UK.

My mom also yells at me for saying "Muslim" wrong... she says it's offensive and "muslim" is a fabric, while "moo-slim" is a religion. What I think is that these are just words, and they only have power if you let them.

Last edited by dddaiyamondo; 20th May 2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 20th May 2008, 03:20 AM
HONEY Protector

^Actually I find it extremely offensive for Pakistani, because the only situations I have heard it in have been racist ones and the words makes me cringe...