[Ai Otsuka] ✪ the 21st TRiCKY thread ✪ - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2015, 04:42 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopockymaster View Post
Are you seriously saying this when she has a song called Ramen 3-Minute Cooking, which is pretty much exactly what you described and yet couldn't be more different from summer lovely days or Parallel World?
Haha, ok that is THE worst. That song is more like melody of a toddler who just conquered potty training. Melody for summer lovely/parallel world is more like toddler is now heading into their first day of school. For summer lovely days I imagine "Here I sit talking my new classmates, suddenly I need to take a bathroom break. Teacher says I'm gonna have to sit and wait - it's lunch time soon; I hope they serve some cake."

As far as simplicity is concerned - I actually love simplicity, but there's just something about those melodies. (I've also read that apparently whoever worked with her also worked on Ami's Bitter... which I loved back when it was released). I think maybe it's a mix of the rhythm and awkward choice in chord progression underneath the melodies (it's like your just bouncing back and forth, being kept in limbo rather than experiencing a nice give and take in the rising and releasing of tension/anticipation).

It's cool that everyone else is getting into it. I just tried to give it another chance to verify if my first impressions were perhaps deceiving. But the songs I originally gave no stars to definitely are still throwaways for me (summer lovely days, affair, Parallel World).

busy lady is still by far the best track. It's the most catchy (especially those, "ah ah ah aaah, ah ah ahh's") and enjoyable piece to listen to out of the bunch. I think it's the one which is most true to Ai form as well (different without being too different). That's what I'd describe as "easy-listening / chill."

I suppose I would rather hear more material in the vein of Rabbit's "RUNWAY" and "泡ガール," which for me was the best form of an evolution for Ai. It was a clearly updated sound which was still able to evoke the "Ai Otsuka" feeling (not all the Rabbit tracks, but those two in particular, and perhaps even "HoloHolo" as well). Additionally, those tracks are some of the catchiest material in her discography, imo.

Last edited by Zeke.; 23rd April 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 23rd April 2015, 04:50 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

This is off topic but Zeke., what do you think of Bjork's music?
Old 24th April 2015, 10:42 AM
Secret Initiate

The ending instrumental of busy lady reminds me of Mario Kart music lol
Old 24th April 2015, 07:29 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious n Bold View Post
This is off topic but Zeke., what do you think of Bjork's music?
I haven't listened to her a lot but I know one time I referenced some song she had where she had like Ronald McDonald hair in the PV. The song was like supposed to be offbeat and "avant garde" and I thought it was terrible. Some member on AHS got into this whole backstory about the concept of it and I'm just like "I don't give a fuck if it's 'supposed' to sound shit, at the end of the day, it still sounds like shit."
Old 25th April 2015, 06:43 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I haven't listened to her a lot but I know one time I referenced some song she had where she had like Ronald McDonald hair in the PV. The song was like supposed to be offbeat and "avant garde" and I thought it was terrible. Some member on AHS got into this whole backstory about the concept of it and I'm just like "I don't give a fuck if it's 'supposed' to sound shit, at the end of the day, it still sounds like shit."
You don't listen to bjork in general?
Old 25th April 2015, 10:44 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^ oh gosh. Well, you seem happy with your some sounding pure popö-tunes. to each is own.
Old 25th April 2015, 04:04 PM
Secret Initiate

lol you guys can't listen to one Bjork song then go around saying her music is shit. Her album, Homogenic, is amazing.
Old 25th April 2015, 04:36 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

This album is much more fun wasted lol
I'm lonely is a partay anthem
Old 25th April 2015, 06:20 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
^ oh gosh. Well, you seem happy with your some sounding pure popö-tunes. to each is own.
I don't get this attitude that music has to be avant garde and edgy to be good or artistic lol
Old 26th April 2015, 02:15 AM
As if.. Initiate

I'm completely addicted to this album, there is not even a single song that I skip!
Old 26th April 2015, 09:24 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
I don't get this attitude that music has to be avant garde and edgy to be good or artistic lol

you got it wrong.. I love bladn pop tunes but i don't see the point in not evolving - and evolution normaly needs to break with "at the time"-standards
Old 26th April 2015, 02:50 PM
SCAR Initiate

I love this album to bits except for summer lovely days and BUSY LADY. I hate the latter especially. The rest is party jam
Old 26th April 2015, 06:22 PM
As if.. Initiate

I really like this Album. A few years ago I didn't like her that much but with this Album I want to listen more
Old 26th April 2015, 10:02 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

The album is really nice, especially laugh and affair.
Very cohesive. It's even so cohesive, sometimes it's hard to tell, when one songs ends and another one starts.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 26th April 2015, 11:23 PM
Secret Initiate

^ You think so? I feel like every song has it's own distinct flavor that you can instantly tell when the song is over lol.
Old 27th April 2015, 04:46 AM
forgiveness Initiate

I could tell the difference between songs but sometimes the bass beat or base beat(?) share similarities in my ear. I kinda remember hearing a part of bass beat in laugh that also could be heard in end and and, but that's it.
Old 27th April 2015, 03:34 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

One of the things I love most about the album is its consistency, and how well it flows. I still can't get enough of it! (Though now I'm taking regularly scheduled breaks so I don't get sick of it, lol)
Old 27th April 2015, 04:01 PM
Initiate

Maybe it's just me but I've never felt Ai has ever stuck to one genre on any album of hers, which might be why some people are offput by it (at least to what I think, I wouldn't know fully)

Kurayami Monogatari that's my Review site!!
Old 27th April 2015, 05:07 PM
forgiveness Initiate

^She has several genres in each release I think at least 3 imo, I don't really check, that's just my hunch.

Yeah, maybe because LOVE TRiCKY is so cohesive and focus on one genre, some people are surprised by this. But that's how it felt awesome for me because despite sounding similar at a glance, each song is different from each other.
Old 27th April 2015, 05:10 PM
Heartplace Initiate

^ The only people who dislike the album have specifically stated why already. It's not the genre, it's the compositions.
Closed Thread

Tags
ai otsuka, jpop, love tricky