Sig Width - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2004, 10:05 PM
Who... Initiate

Sig Width

Just wondering, has there been a change in the max width of sigs? I don't know if it's just this forum skin that I'm using (kono omoi) but for some reason, the right edge of my sig is cut off.

Also, just a heads up, seems the server had disappeared from the net about 15 min ago for not so long.

Old 9th June 2004, 10:10 PM
Banned

I wonder if it's the same problem The-Eye pointed out here, so my only guess is that perhaps the staff didn't fix the sig widths for all the skins
Old 9th June 2004, 10:15 PM
Who... Initiate

Ah hai, that's the same dealie I have going on. It was ok until today, though. Here's a little shot of it~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip.jpg (231.0 KB, 33 views)

Old 9th June 2004, 11:20 PM
Wishing Guardian

The signature size restrictions are not the same for every layout. These are the limits at the moment:

radius: 350 X 520
Rain: 350 X 519
Child of Peace: 350 X 534
DDR: 350 X 521
kono omoi: 350 X 524
RAINBOW: 350 X 529
rose: 350 X 469
VISEE: 350 X 450
1825: 350 X 556
AHS retro: 350 X 535
Old 9th June 2004, 11:53 PM
Who... Initiate

But if you take a look at the width it is, I haven't changed it yet suddenly it's being cut off. I remember the 520 being a more unique number. Now I have to go in and fix my banner again because of this?

Edit: My banner is 527 x 104, and has been for months. 527 is that "unique number" was thinking of. So when did 350 happen??? (Note: In image sizes, the horizontal always comes first, then the verticle)

Last edited by Luna Saisho; 10th June 2004 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10th June 2004, 12:10 AM
Wishing Guardian

Prior to the upgrade to vB 3.0.1 the maximum signature size was 527 pixels wide x 350 pixels high.

Sorry for listing the sizes the wrong way.

radius: 520 X 350
Rain: 519 X 350
Child of Peace: 534 X 350
DDR: 521 X 350
kono omoi: 524 X 350
RAINBOW: 529 X 350
rose: 469 X 350
VISEE: 450 X 350
1825: 556 X 350
AHS retro: 535 X 350

If you are using the kono omoi layout only 3 pixels should have been cut off. Is this correct?
Old 10th June 2004, 12:33 AM
Who... Initiate

I believe only 3 pixels have been cut off, but I've had to change this before when the restrictions on size came in, and now I have to fix it again. But I might as well just get rid of it because it's all different on every one now and people on rose and visee must have most of it cut off. This is annoying.

Old 10th June 2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

Hmm... I never realized that there were such varied widths for each one, but I assume that it's because of the varying table sizes with each layout which might mess them up if the sigs were any larger. Well, I suppose I'll just keep using this sig, since most people probably use the default layout (Rainbow)
Old 10th June 2004, 12:45 AM
Who... Initiate

Ya know, I don't care about the different skin widths, and I'm annoyed. It was fine up until very recently on the skin I'm using, and all these changes happened without anyone being told how they would effect things.

Look at the attachment, isn't this pretty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip2.jpg (123.9 KB, 25 views)

Old 10th June 2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

I believe it's caused by the table sizes in each layout, as not all of them have the same widths. If you've ever seen someone post a wallpaper, you'd see that it causes things to look kinda messy. I'm pretty sure that there's max widths for each style to keep things looking neat, so what may look good on a certain layout may not be the same on another
Old 10th June 2004, 11:35 PM
Wishing Guardian

The maximum signature widths are exactly that. The tables are distorted when the images are any wider.

If anyone wishes to have a wider signature they can simply switch to another layout, or they can switch to the 'Top' postbit style (do this through your user control panel).
Old 11th June 2004, 12:36 AM
Who... Initiate

Oh I can simply switch to another layout. So then it looks good for me, but lousy for everyone else, how nice.

It is, as Jose said, because of the size of the messages box (It's CSS, so it's kinda a table but well it doesn't matter) but I just wish that we were told about it.

Hmmm, someone read the replies I deleted because I give up. Enjoy my new banner and increased irritation.

Old 11th June 2004, 12:58 AM
independent+ Advisor

The staff has no obligation to notify the initiates about every single solitary setting change we ever make. That's unrealistic and unnecessary. This is not a drastic change that will alter the course of history. With the major changes we do try to notify everyone.

VB3 is still something new to everyone. If the staff does something and it turns out to have unexpected consequences, it's unfair to explode at us. Sometimes the kinks need to be worked out. We're trying to work it out as this hate fest barrels onward. We're trying to fix it to make it work for everyone.
Old 11th June 2004, 02:12 AM
Who... Initiate

Yeah, you do have an obligation. How long has it been screwed up? How long until you people actually follow up and don't hide when you don't want to face the music?

With that rude as hell reply, Grantith, **** off. I'm gone. This place can shove it.

Last edited by Luna Saisho; 11th June 2004 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11th June 2004, 02:33 AM
Connected Initiate

You don't have to? But it is stupid not to...Look what happened when no-one told the users that the board was going to be updated to the new VB3 alot of people were complaining of having no notice.

The signature thing is an important thing to all the users here as the majority have one, don't they? And not being given any notice of that change is annoying..I mean why not alert everyone to it so you don't get people complaining? And also complaining about 'how the staff memebers didn't bother to alert the users, once again?' Why do you want it to go that far when it can be avoided?

And saying 'We don't have to alert the users of every change' is just like saying 'we are too slack to update you guys on the stuff that is going on with this board' because you know what? Ultimately the users make this board RUN the staff don't..they are just there to make sure things work fine..If there weren't any users there would be no use for staff..Get what I mean?

If anyone wishes to have a wider signature they can simply switch to another layout- Uhhh, no..As a user we asume our signature will work on every skin you have up..We don't just have signatures so "only" the creator can look at it..Come on now. Another thing is another user is bound to say 'Oh why doesn't so and so's sig work' and then that can lead to even more trouble. I mean just simply alerting us to this problem is fine and then we'd know that it was all being worked on and leave you guys alone without a complaint.

This isn't mean to come off rude..it's just what I see to Grants and Skal replies.

Last edited by Set_0ne; 11th June 2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11th June 2004, 02:42 AM
Who... Initiate

Wheee! Go ahead and make your sigs this big! It's our limit!
http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showpo...46&postcount=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmskalmn
For signatures we recommend a size of 527x200 or smaller, but 527x350 pixels is the maximum size allowed. The maximum file size 150KB.

Summary of New Restrictions:
Signature: 527x350, 150kb
Guess that doesn't matter. Tell us then, but when nicely asked (as I did in the original post here) you ignore until I finally get vocal.

Oh, but don't worry, it'll look like crap on most of the skins! And we won't tell you about it because that would be too hard for us to do. Instead, we'll ignore and whine and complain when someone mentions it!

With all the staff that logged in over the day this was up, it was sure hard to get a response, and then all I get is "this is the way it is, deal" basically. Get off your high horses. Running a forums does not mean you're gods, you're still people and you should have respect for the members and not just other staff.

Oh, BTW, having to put "created and maintained by forum staff" is stupid. Of COURSE it's maintained and created by the staff. Do most other forums have their pets create and maintain it? I've been holding that back for a long time now.

Last edited by Luna Saisho; 11th June 2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11th June 2004, 03:13 AM
Banned

Here are my thoughts on this. I'm not saying who's right or wrong, and I obviously have no say on any of this, but here's how I see it:

Quote:
For signatures we recommend a size of 527x200 or smaller, but 527x350 pixels is the maximum size allowed. The maximum file size 150KB.

Summary of New Restrictions:
Signature: 527x350, 150kb
Regarding this quote, this was around when AHS was still using VBulletin 2. Now that AHS is using VB3, those rules don't seem to apply to all skins. I was also under the assumption that the 527x350 rule was still in place until recently, but like I said before, the majority of people probably use Rainbow, so it probably won't be noticed by a good majority of the people here.

Regarding the thing about alerting people about certain things, that's kind of a grey area. From how I see it, I think the staff changed the layout as a surprise (kind of like how there's contests here). It'd be like knowing when there'd be a pop quiz or a surprise birthday party, in a sense. I guess it's just me, but I usually like surprises (good ones, of course). When I returned last month, I was quite surprised to see the upgrade here. Sure, not all the old styles are back (most cost $30+ to obtain for VB3), but I see effort in the styles.

Once more, I'm not trying to point fingers here. I'm just saying that not everything needs a forum announcement. I hope I won't get flamed for what I said... I'm just expressing how I see things.
Old 11th June 2004, 03:19 AM
Who... Initiate

Then maybe they could have simply answered me when I asked nicely in the beginning ne?

Old 11th June 2004, 05:07 AM
independent+ Advisor

nmskalmn answered you one hour and 15 minutes after you made your post. That's pretty fast for a forum.
Quote:
The signature size restrictions are not the same for every layout. These are the limits at the moment:

radius: 350 X 520
Rain: 350 X 519
Child of Peace: 350 X 534
DDR: 350 X 521
kono omoi: 350 X 524
RAINBOW: 350 X 529
rose: 350 X 469
VISEE: 350 X 450
1825: 350 X 556
AHS retro: 350 X 535
This topic is not constructive. It's only becoming an uglier fight. The sig limits are not set in stone right now because the staff is working on the issue. Everything will get straightened out once the kinks are worked out.
Old 11th June 2004, 05:42 AM
Who... Initiate

Quoting what it is is not an answer. I just wanted to know what it is, then I realized that this is yet another thing that happened that we couldn't be bothered to know about beforehand. Why is that such a big deal? Why were you so rude? I guess it doesn't matter, because if there is a problem here, even though we're told that we should bring it up and talk about it, the answers are always defensive. Jose replying is helpful, but he's not the final word, and he's the one who replied quickly.

BTW, it was not 1:15 to reply, please check again. I saw so many staff members on just through my normal scans on the board, and no one would answer.

I'm sorry, I am very upset with how poorly this went, and don't find it to be an isolated incident.

Closed Thread