Avatars not working + can't change it - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Old 24th October 2014, 05:45 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Tbh the forum is relatively dead when compared to other forums but isn't it worth saving because it's one of the last 'big' jpop forums? All the other ones are dead anyway and I suppose if worse comes to worse, we could move over to jpopcentral.
Old 24th October 2014, 09:59 PM
GREEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Αyumi View Post
I do have a backup of the forum, and I own the AHS domain.

But I don't own the vBulletin license so installing it wouldn't really work.
And to be honest, as much as I want to see AHS live, there is no way I have that kind of money to save a place already as dead as this.

I tried to contact the founder but he never replied.. last time I talked to him, he told me he wanted to fix everything, update the board version and make me admin so I could deal with issues. But he hasn't, so we're stuck. : (

Haven't seen him online in a few months either so..
do you have any of his contact info? If you're not willing to keep this up I can.
Old 25th October 2014, 05:23 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious n Bold View Post
Tbh the forum is relatively dead when compared to other forums but isn't it worth saving because it's one of the last 'big' jpop forums? All the other ones are dead anyway and I suppose if worse comes to worse, we could move over to jpopcentral.
As I suggested before, we could find another forum software (free) and use that instead, but that means we'd have to start over and who knows how many members would be up for that.. Not sure I would be able to transfer the content (threads/members) to a free software since those are always very limited with features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
do you have any of his contact info? If you're not willing to keep this up I can.
I do, but he stopped coming online there so there's no use to give out his username since you wouldn't be able to talk to him because he isn't there to accept your friend request. We're talking about the founder, btw. I guess it's time I mention that since it doesn't seem to matter anymore. He did have legit reasons to leave, which I can't disclose, but it's a shame he didn't just give me access to take over like he said he would. Then I could at least find a few people from various timezones to help me out with administration stuff.

As it is now..
The forum is still here. The domain still works. And aside from the annoying avatar upload issue, what other things are there that don't work?

We'd never be able to actually renew the place, but we can still be here like it is. I think the forum software license is permanent, and as long as I have the domain, then this place should always be up running.

☆ 何かを信じられる心が残ってるから ☆

Old 25th October 2014, 05:34 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

Moderators are still moderating as usual...luckily all our tools still work. I haven't noticed any issues other than the avatar upload problem.

@Ayumi: Thanks for your ongoing dedication with this. I urge you to keep in touch with the mod team in regards to future decisions, especially since the founder is now temporarily/permanently out of touch.
Old 25th October 2014, 06:12 PM
Initiate

I do like the idea of a new free forum, but yes, a lot of people wouldn't go there. Also, the fact you, Ayumi, paid for this one, makes it kinda mean to use another one. I think, like you said, since the avatar issue is the only bothersome thing, we can learn to live with it Don't worry! <3

Set, courtesy of the always reliable Yoake!
Old 25th October 2014, 06:46 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Restarting would be the kiss of death for this already dying forum, lol. I've never seen a forum really come back from it, they pretty much are only ever a tiny fraction as active as before.
Old 25th October 2014, 08:05 PM
appears Initiate

^Prime example Utada-Online. However, their biggest problem was transitioning. Whenever you start a forum over from scratch, only ever 1/4 of the original members sign up. Utada-Online went "offline" and they started up "UO-Temp" which was a temporary forum for people to join, that was up for about 2 months and then they shut that down and made Hikaru.sc which was supposed to be the permanent replacement. So they made people transition twice, and I think by the time that site died, not even 600 people even signed up. Utada-Online by the end of it's life, had over 8,500 members.

We really should think about it though. Just in case it has to happen. We don't want to be up a creek without a paddle. We need to have something to fall back on.

Yeah I just checked the way back machine that let's you view previous versions of websites. By the end of Utada-Online's life it had 8,586 members, and by the time hikaru.sc was shut down, it had 560 members with 275 of them being active.

This site has over 24,000 members (90% of which aren't active) imagine the small number who would be willing to sign back up.

Last edited by orangeakira; 25th October 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 28th October 2014, 01:46 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koumori View Post
Moderators are still moderating as usual...luckily all our tools still work. I haven't noticed any issues other than the avatar upload problem.

@Ayumi: Thanks for your ongoing dedication with this. I urge you to keep in touch with the mod team in regards to future decisions, especially since the founder is now temporarily/permanently out of touch.
Don't worry, I'm gonna keep the domain alive as long as I can. It's just a matter of when the forum license expires. It isn't mine so I won't be able to renew it..

And also, you're a moderator. I'm not. This isn't my forum.. had I had that kind of access, I would still ask you for advice or suggest stuff. It would be up to you (and the other mods) to implement it. It goes both ways.. if there is anything I can do that you want, just let me know.

If I had that kind of money, I would just buy my own vBulletin license and import the forum backup I got from ZeF. But $249 is too much money for this little activity.. not saying it isn't worth it, but you know what I mean. I can't prioritise it. So we'll just have to stick around and pray for ZeF to return or give someone full administrative access. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFER View Post
I do like the idea of a new free forum, but yes, a lot of people wouldn't go there. Also, the fact you, Ayumi, paid for this one, makes it kinda mean to use another one. I think, like you said, since the avatar issue is the only bothersome thing, we can learn to live with it Don't worry! <3
I didn't pay for it! I was just given the domain before it expired completely. The forum license is something else.. I have 0 access or any kind of power of the forum or the server its running on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
Restarting would be the kiss of death for this already dying forum, lol. I've never seen a forum really come back from it, they pretty much are only ever a tiny fraction as active as before.
Starting over would be VERY bad. The only way it would work, I think, is if we were able to move all the threads and posts.. but that doesn't sound very likely to happen. :v

☆ 何かを信じられる心が残ってるから ☆

Old 28th October 2014, 08:34 PM
GREEN Initiate

If you buy the vBulletin license and use the back it would it eliminate the middle man Zef who isn't really here anymore right? Would we have full access to everything?
Old 29th October 2014, 01:09 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Αyumi View Post
And also, you're a moderator. I'm not. This isn't my forum.. had I had that kind of access, I would still ask you for advice or suggest stuff. It would be up to you (and the other mods) to implement it. It goes both ways.. if there is anything I can do that you want, just let me know.
Thank you. You know the situation - I'll rediscuss things with the others who are still around, and see what we can do to make this communication with you better whilst this is still an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
If you buy the vBulletin license and use the back it would it eliminate the middle man Zef who isn't really here anymore right? Would we have full access to everything?
Correct, but it's quite a bit of money.
Old 9th November 2014, 08:51 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

We could always start a donating/pay-pal like system and send the funds to a trusted member to buy the license. 249 for one person is a lot, but it's only take like 20 people to bring that number down a lot. Just a possibility.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 10th November 2014, 01:48 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Basically $5 each if you can get 50 members, $10 for 25, not unreasonable. Could even do a kick-starter page lol, might get some new forum in the process

Old 9th March 2015, 11:19 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I'm soooo late, i was struggling with my avatar and wanted to make a thread about it and then... I absolutely had no idea of what has been happening with the forum for the past months :c I'd be willing to participate and pay if we happened to have to buy the license

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 23rd March 2015, 01:40 AM
BEST Initiate

^ Same.

I'd be very sad to see this forum go. I've been using it since maybe 2007? Even though I'm not as active as I used to be, and have had a couple of start ups, I still visit this forum. I would help donate as well if it kept it going in the longer run.
Old 23rd March 2015, 06:26 AM
End of the World Initiate

I'd be willing to donate to a Kickstarter for AHS!

久しぶり〜

Old 30th March 2015, 06:14 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

I'd also be willing to donate
Old 30th March 2015, 05:06 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

I'm not ignoring this topic, nor are the other moderators as far as I'm aware. The reason for the silence, however, is that as previously stated... we're completely unable to help the current situation, as moderators do not have access to the administration panel.

Unfortunately donations wouldn't help given that we can only utilise such things in the admin panel, which the AHS member Ayumi has now handed back over details to the original administrator here. The moderators haven't had any updates since then.

I wish I had better news for the forum, but maybe in the future an administrator who knows more can update this thread properly.
Old 8th April 2015, 08:59 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Out of what we could of lost, at least it was just the avatars. I guess it was like getting given a car but without the keys with the ownership of AHS

Old 9th April 2015, 03:48 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

So the only thing that is 'bad' is that we can't select our own avatars?
I remember reading that Ayumi said something about the forum license expiring.... When would something like that happen and is it bad?
Old 11th April 2015, 03:45 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious n Bold View Post
I remember reading that Ayumi said something about the forum license expiring.... When would something like that happen and is it bad?
Unfortunately, we have no idea. When the forum license expires is something only the two main administrators know and both have not commented on the matter.

It is bad, since the license expiring will mean the forum will be taken offline properly by the host. Ayumi didn't have access to the original administration details so would have to buy a whole new license, which wasn't an option for her and nor could she implement it to the original panel. What she would have had to do is buy a whole new license and then import the last back-up of AHS to the new host.

Tags