[Utada Hikaru] Songs of Utada Hikaru | the 52nd thread - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2015, 07:55 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

I only ever heard Passion from her. I would like to check her out tho. What songs do you recommend for a new potential fan? Guide me to the light people.

Set made by Mary-Tina. Thank you!
Old 7th July 2015, 08:13 AM
SCAR Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna7996 View Post
I only ever heard Passion from her. I would like to check her out tho. What songs do you recommend for a new potential fan? Guide me to the light people.
I'll list you my favourites first:

Beautiful World, Sakura Nagashi, EXODUS '04, Tokyo Nights, Be my last, Can't wait till christmas, Hikari (or simple and clean, the english version), dareka no negai ga kanau koro

The must-listen-to are probably:

Prisoner of love, Sakura drops, letters, FINAL DISTANCE, flavour of live, HEART STATION, First Love, Automatic
Old 7th July 2015, 12:50 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna7996 View Post
I recommend downloading her compilation albums from Tomoyo's discography thread for her. Both the single collections have an overview of songs that cover the eras of her career in a nice, varying way without you having to download a bunch of separate songs or albums to get an idea of what she is like as an artist.
Old 7th July 2015, 07:05 PM
Secret Initiate

Listen to everything tbh. But like Koumori said, download the single collection vol. 1 and 2.
Old 7th July 2015, 10:07 PM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
Sakura Drops!
Old 8th July 2015, 06:02 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Thank you for all the suggestions. Donwloading the single collections now. Let's see how it goes. Thanks again.

Set made by Mary-Tina. Thank you!
Old 8th July 2015, 10:21 AM
MY STORY Initiate

^I suggest you download every album. That's what I did, and listened them in release order and was blown away. Especially with Distance, DEEP RIVER and ULTRA BLUE.

You can find me from these too:
~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 8th July 2015, 12:29 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
I suggest you download every album. That's what I did, and listened them in release order and was blown away. Especially with Distance, DEEP RIVER and ULTRA BLUE.
I always feel pretty overwhelmed when I listen to a whole (new) discography in a row, but that's just me. It's as if past the second album my brain switches off and it takes a lot longer to pinpoint songs I like

@Luna: I hope you enjoy something!

Last edited by koumori; 8th July 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 8th July 2015, 12:37 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

A full discography listen is the only way you'll see me listen to Distance LOL
Old 8th July 2015, 09:48 PM
1 LOVE Initiate

I tried her singles before and I didn't like a lot of songs, but I enjoyed Boku wa Kuma or something like that,Goodbye Happiness and Sakura Nagashi (I adore her voice in this one).

Praying for something epic as Sakura Nagashi.

Delicious n Bold, please pray with me.

TWICE

Old 8th July 2015, 10:04 PM
rainy day Initiate

Honestly, Utada is such an exception because there is a clear divide in her style. If someone were to recommend to me anything pre-Ultra Blue as a first listen, I'd almost certainly give up on her. Her r&b/groove days are not enjoyable for me, where-as the ethereal dream-esque world she venture into from Ultra Blue onward is divine. When I think Hikki, I nothing pre-Ultra Blue even comes to mind (with the exception of Simple & Clean and First Love the song) because her artistry was an entirely different vision and concept back then to me. It's a lot of stuff anyone could have released, and a lot of stuff imitating and inspired by other artists/styles. Whereas, I feel the material she began releasing with Ultra Blue was a flavor of music I could only taste from her alone.
Old 8th July 2015, 10:35 PM
Lelio Protector

I would say DEEP RIVER is her best work to date. Followed by ULTRA BLUE.
They would also be the easiest to connect, well mostly.
Old 8th July 2015, 11:33 PM
MY STORY Initiate

I think Distnce is her best album to date but R&B has always been my kind of thing. I do love all of her albums though.

You can find me from these too:
~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 8th July 2015, 11:51 PM
Secret Initiate

It's hard for me to choose a favorite Utada Hikaru album since all her albums possess a unique gem. But I would have to choose HEART STATION.
Old 9th July 2015, 03:29 AM
starting over Initiate

Ultra blue onwards is when I officially declared myself a fan. so I've got special appreciation for ultra blue.
Old 9th July 2015, 03:40 AM
TO BE Initiate

Distance is definitely her best album. Strong writing + production start to finish. I like all her other albums but to me they are a lot more inconsistent internally in terms of quality (I'm looking at you, "Utada Greatest Hits vol. 0.5 + 3-4 fillers" masquerading as an original album called Deep River). There is literally not a single bad song on Distance. Those were the days.
Old 9th July 2015, 04:01 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
Distance is definitely her best album. Strong writing + production start to finish. I like all her other albums but to me they are a lot more inconsistent internally in terms of quality (I'm looking at you, "Utada Greatest Hits vol. 0.5 + 3-4 fillers" masquerading as an original album called Deep River). There is literally not a single bad song on Distance. Those were the days.
I actually always thought Distance was her most inconsistent sounding album (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "inconsistent in terms of quality"). Interesting.
Old 9th July 2015, 04:06 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

I'll have to get the CD out and listen to Distance the oldé fashioned way tbh.

adantatu2, I'll pray with you! we need a prayer circle going lol
Old 9th July 2015, 06:07 AM
from your letter Initiate

I can't believe she had a baby. Here I thought she was barren.

Youtube.
Old 9th July 2015, 07:25 AM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_surrealism View Post
As much as it is great, I don't think that Parody would be an easy listening to someone new to her. I love Parody but it took me years to like it and before it I just felt it was pretty boring, and some other tracks on that album as well, it took time to appreciate Distance (let alone First Love which is a so so album).

Last edited by ayumisrael; 9th July 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
hikki, utada hikaru