(miss)understood 3rd week sales - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 17th January 2006, 10:05 PM
BEST Initiate

^who's Gorie??

anyhow, yeah I also think (and hope) the Arena Tour will boost the sales to some extend
Old 17th January 2006, 10:25 PM
Together When... H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweer
^who's Gorie??
I think Gorie is a comedian/TV host who dresses like a woman. I saw him once when Destiny's Child was on his show and he was dancing like Destiny's Child, haha. Hilarious stuff.
Old 17th January 2006, 10:32 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Gorie is the new queen? LOL... that's really hilarious...

you should download "her" performance at kouhaku this year... it's the best one at red side IMO.
Old 18th January 2006, 02:33 AM
Initiate

*Punches the Kinki Kids outta any number on the Japanese charts*

An Endless Story that keeps on shining
Always, I wanna show you, forever and ever

Endless Story - Yuna Ito
Old 18th January 2006, 02:41 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

So..
then the total sales for (miss)understood is 736.561 in 3 weeks.. and people are speculating a forum name change, and that Ayu is not popular anymore?..
how is selling 736,561 albums in 3 weeks a BAD thing...?
Old 18th January 2006, 02:53 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlize
well, in my opinion, ayu's record label knows what its doing and this album was heavily promoted just like all her other albums.
--my 2c
Just because it is being heavily promoted, does not mean it is being promoted right. B&D should not have been the main song which was performed at all of the end of the year shows and shows in early Jan. I think it's a fun song, but not a good song to promote a new album with, especially since it turns many people off. And yes, those TV performances do have an impact on sales. Then there is the cover art and title which definitely have an impact on casual shoppers when they look on the shelf and both the cover art and title could have been quite a bit better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Petit*
Perhaps it's too much pure rock on this album, sompared to her other albums? Ayu has always been the queen of j-pop remember, and thus her fans must have been appreciating pop first and foremost. O.o
I don't think that is it either. If it had been mostly pure rock on the album, it would be one of my favorite albums from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie
oh yeah... the arena tour... that may help the sales a bit
I would doubt it. Anyone that is willing to fork over $80 for a concert would have likely already bought the CD.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 18th January 2006 at 03:06 AM.
Old 18th January 2006, 03:02 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko-chan
So..
then the total sales for (miss)understood is 736.561 in 3 weeks.. and people are speculating a forum name change, and that Ayu is not popular anymore?..

That's actually pretty damn good in Japan.
An Endless Story that keeps on shining
Always, I wanna show you, forever and ever

Endless Story - Yuna Ito
Old 18th January 2006, 03:09 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko-chan
So..
becuase it is lower than her previous albums, even lower than Memorial Address. then if this fails to reach the million, retirement questions will be asked, then rumours will be made up about avex wanting koda or ai to "replace" her via more promotion on them etc. etc.

Brittany: its not really damn good, its more "average" for an a-list artist to achieve this amount.
Old 18th January 2006, 03:44 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer
Just because it is being heavily promoted, does not mean it is being promoted right. B&D should not have been the main song which was performed at all of the end of the year shows and shows in early Jan.
Well, I really think there's a reason why record labels choose to market things the way they do. They're not complete idiots or else they wouldn't keep their jobs long. Avex is actually really good about finding creative ways to garner fans for all of its artists. I think that's partly why so many popular artists right now are signed on avex or its affiliated labels.

So... you can say (miss)understood didn't outsell MY STORY because she didn't perform criminal at CDTV, but I personally think it's much more possible that some people just decided NOT to buy the CD.

I really think ayu's popularity is fine right now. She can't be expected to outsell her previous albums everytime a new one comes out. She's still very popular, people.

Also keep in mind that in terms of yen generated, she's still up there because (miss)understood was a more expensive album with the photobooks. That's no accident.

Last edited by candlize; 18th January 2006 at 03:46 AM.
Old 18th January 2006, 04:23 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu_fan929
Brittany: its not really damn good, its more "average" for an a-list artist to achieve this amount.
Hmm... I dunno... I'd argue there are very few artists that can consistently achieve these numbers with an original album that is not a best-of single compilation.

Last edited by candlize; 18th January 2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 18th January 2006, 04:40 AM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
popularity is fine right now. She can't be expected to outsell her previous albums everytime a new one comes out. She's still very popular, people.
That's true, considering how back then, people loved to buy CDs. Now it's all about mp3s and whatnot. So she's still popular, just in a different type of sales: Digital sales and not physical ones.

|A|Y|U|M|I| |H|A|M|A|S|A|K|I|
My Anti-Drug

Set made by CK's Vending Machine! The thing works like magic! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingbird
Suddenly she's at a healthy weight and people are talking about her like she's a damn whale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternarist
i wan ayu's balls!

Old 18th January 2006, 04:52 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer
Just because it is being heavily promoted, does not mean it is being promoted right. B&D should not have been the main song which was performed at all of the end of the year shows and shows in early Jan. I think it's a fun song, but not a good song to promote a new album with, especially since it turns many people off. And yes, those TV performances do have an impact on sales. Then there is the cover art and title which definitely have an impact on casual shoppers when they look on the shelf and both the cover art and title could have been quite a bit better IMO.´
Yes, but B&D wasn't the reason the album is selling like it's selling right now.

Quote:
I would doubt it. Anyone that is willing to fork over $80 for a concert would have likely already bought the CD.
Actually, when an artist is touring the sales usually increase.
Old 18th January 2006, 04:55 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel_Grease
That's true, considering how back then, people loved to buy CDs. Now it's all about mp3s and whatnot. So she's still popular, just in a different type of sales: Digital sales and not physical ones.
No, she's not expetionally popular in digital sales. It's just that she's not as popular as she use to. But she's still popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu_fan292
Not true, B'z are a-list artists and they only sell well with singles and best-of albums. Ai Otsuka currently is an a-list artist and she don't sell over 800k.
Old 18th January 2006, 07:01 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Well, I really think there's a reason why record labels choose to market things the way they do. They're not complete idiots or else they wouldn't keep their jobs long. Avex is actually really good about finding creative ways to garner fans for all of its artists. I think that's partly why so many popular artists right now are signed on avex or its affiliated labels.
But record labels aren't always right - the sales for B&D, as well as the general non reaction to it at all of the live performances shows this. Also, it may be Ayu herself who was pushing B&D so much since she does have a large amount of control over her career.

Quote:
So... you can say (miss)understood didn't outsell MY STORY because she didn't perform criminal at CDTV, but I personally think it's much more possible that some people just decided NOT to buy the CD.
Nobody ever said that. But does how an album is promoted effect its sales? Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
I really think ayu's popularity is fine right now. She can't be expected to outsell her previous albums everytime a new one comes out. She's still very popular, people.
I agree completely. My arguement was always against the people that thought this album would easily sell more than My Story, Memorial Address etc. Like that it would be a given that she would sell as much as say Orange Range's last album sold or something and maybe overlooking the reasons why it might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre2907
Yes, but B&D wasn't the reason the album is selling like it's selling right now.

Actually, when an artist is touring the sales usually increase.
I believe it was one of the contributing factors, not the contributing factor.

As for the touring, yes usually in the states an artists sales do increase but I've never really seen much of a correlation between Ayu's tours and her album sales.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 18th January 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 18th January 2006, 12:45 PM
glitter Initiate

Good points. Personally I think she should have released a better single before (miss) understood. Bold & Delicious is a fun song but it does get boring. Why didn't she release a single for "In the Corner", "criminal" or "Ladies Night"? Also the covers took ages to sink in especially that monkey face photo. Honestly it sucks. Why couldn't she at least swap the photobook covers with the normal ones? The New York theme got old at once.

Thirdly she should have performed other songs. Personally I'm sick of Bold & Delicious performances. I really wanted to see some new songs instead of Bold & Delicious.

Also I was disappointed to see that this album and it's booklet seemed without any concept/theme or direction which was pretty disappointing. The songs were excellent but the way they were presented weren't so good imo.

Even if you cannot hear my voice. I'll be right beside you dear.

Set by pepper

Crossover x A Hitomi Shimatani Forum

Old 18th January 2006, 01:06 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

-

Last edited by nick; 3rd January 2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 18th January 2006, 01:22 PM
glitter Initiate

Yes plus let's not forget that Ayu is huge in Japan so bootlegs will probably be more available around than say other not so famous artists.

That is true nick but remember that Japan is more conservative than say USA in the music industry so being sexy is a huge thing there. I remember how people were shocked to see Ayu's LOVEppears cover. I also remember how when she performed at Kohaku and she wore a pair of shorts some guys in the off-stage were hilariously staring at her as if well.. you get me. So yeah Kumi's being sexy is actually getting her attention because few people have actually dared to be sexy over there. Plus let's not forget how avex is hyping her up with all these releases

Set by pepper

Old 18th January 2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demure_Dusk
Yes plus let's not forget that Ayu is huge in Japan so bootlegs will probably be more available around than say other not so famous artists.
Yes, I saw so many copies. And the original ones hasnt arrived yet.
Old 18th January 2006, 04:00 PM
glitter Initiate

Yeah =/ most people prefer buying cheap bootlegs than actual albums unless they're hardcore fans like us

Set by pepper

Old 18th January 2006, 04:23 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Yeah!And i can't hear the word koda kumi more.I don't like her!she have nothing!And i guess Ayu have much more talent.Her songs are from her soul!!!And you can feel how Ayu feel.Koda is only sex sells.And this is not my opinion.so I guess it is not importenet how much the Cd sells.It is importened what you think about the album and i don't think Ayu will stop!She didn't said so.She always said in Countdown mata rainen.And she will make her way.Go Ayu chan^^

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, (miss)understood, ayumi hamasaki