[News] Tokyo Rainbow Pride 2018 Special Live - Page 8 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 10th May 2018, 11:40 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

Anything else on the topic of sexual objectification will have the posts removed, just so we can keep this thread on-topic about the Rainbow Pride Special Live. Let's focus on the performance and anything else related to that.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:18 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Shoot, I just wanted to add something, but I will just suck it up then in order to respect the forum rules.

Anyway, I totally agree with you @Luniverse, nobody could say it better. Ayu totally deserves the postive coverage on the Tokyo Rainbow Pride performance. It looked energetic, genuine and the setlist are all positive songs (well chosen. Ayu!) Surely, Ayu does this mainly to show support to the LGBT culture, her motives are anything but selfish, but I hope the Japanese public will view her differently after this. In a positive way, of course!

Old 15th May 2018, 12:35 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Oh, man, it would be nice if she got some more positive coverage for her coming album release from this. I would love to see that reflecting in some more positive coverage in the future.

Signature presented by the amazing majrakun <3 thanks photobucket
MY
Twitter | last.fm | Facebook | Tumblr

Old 18th May 2018, 02:20 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

late to the party but, is there a translation of what ayu said at the special live?

Old 18th May 2018, 02:51 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Not sure if someone posted it but BuzzFeed Japan uploaded a video with some shorts clips from Ayu's performance!

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedJapan/st...69215625502722
Old 18th May 2018, 04:46 PM
walking proud Initiate

^ General translation of what she said. I know parts have been translated by other people:

Lots of people in the audience she is friends with; lots of acquaintances too. Before her debut, at her lowest point, she went to Ni-Chome (tokyo's gay district) for the first time. The bars, people, etc., felt like a home to her. Felt taken care of and cared about by the bar "mothers" (term for the bar owners of that area). So since then, any time she has something to celebrate, she has gone back to ni-chome. Because of those times in Ni-Chome, she is who she is today.

She said she watched the Pride Parade from her car alone and that seeing everyone so happy, she cried.

Then she gets political, and I really appreciate it because it is still such a taboo subject, particularly in Japan and very few people speak up about it. She says along the lines of, of course, Japan is still very, very conservative. Because of that, in many different ways, anyone that is considered a minority in Japan is considered to be in the wrong just because of the fact that they are the minority opinion (sidenote from me: the downside of Japanese collectivism.) That part of Japanese thinking is not something easily wiped away. But just because it's the majority and because of the majority that means it's right; I definitely think that's wrong.

Go Ayu.
Old 20th May 2018, 12:31 PM
Sky high Protector

^Thanks.

Ayu is wonderful. ♥
Old 24th May 2018, 04:08 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

^^ thank u so much!!

Old 6th June 2018, 05:40 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
*snip* anyone that is considered a minority in Japan is considered to be in the wrong just because of the fact that they are the minority opinion (sidenote from me: the downside of Japanese collectivism.)
Other people in other countries also show that attitude, or rather "the minority won't dictate the majority what to do," and usually they are people who are against minority groups, so I don't think that has much to do with "Japanese collectivism." I'd attribute it more to a seemingly common lack of sympathy and empathy. Because the majority only hates the minority until they themselves become the minority.

On a side note, I came across her speech on youtube and was really moved by it.

「浜崎あゆみ」であること
”歌う”ということ
それは”生きる”ということ

SCawaii May 2008

矛盾だらけの こんな私でも
許されますか 教えてよ

浜崎あゆみ 「I am...」

Old 11th June 2018, 05:13 AM
Over Initiate

I managed to get a ticket and see her from the inside. I was close enough to see her makeup. Was not expecting the entrance she made, which was extra, and I am loving everyone's reactions to it Also, yes, the dust was insane. I wore my TRP towel over my face like it was Burning Man.

I started crying during her speech when she talked about going to Ni-chome to find herself at a time when she was lost, and as she drew strength from the bar mothers there, I realized I was listening to her music in the U.S. as a teenager struggling with my sexuality and drawing strength from her lyrics. It was then that I realized that I was receiving strength from the LGBT community in Japan at a time when I felt lost, through Ayu, and it was as if a circle I that never imagined could exist had become complete in that moment.

Needless to say, I cried the rest of the way through her set. She looked at me bawling my eyes out during BLUE BIRD and quickly glanced away with this look on her face like, "Nope, nope, nope, not gonna cry again!" and Timmy gave me a look, like, "I feel you, boo." I was for sure ugly crying. Even during Boys & Girls. Total. Mess. I loved it.
Old 11th June 2018, 04:00 PM
walking proud Initiate

^ That's a nice story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga-chan View Post
Other people in other countries also show that attitude, or rather "the minority won't dictate the majority what to do," and usually they are people who are against minority groups, so I don't think that has much to do with "Japanese collectivism." I'd attribute it more to a seemingly common lack of sympathy and empathy. Because the majority only hates the minority until they themselves become the minority.

On a side note, I came across her speech on youtube and was really moved by it.
The difference I would say in Japan is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with them being simply "against minority groups" for lack of sympathy or empathy; rather it is literally what the cornerstone of Japanese culture is, ie. the old japanese proverb of don't be the nail that sticks out; conformity and social harmony take precedence over individualism and expression, etc.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 11th June 2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11th June 2018, 06:59 PM
I am... Initiate

^I'm just VERY wary of any of any of such generalisations. I have heard enough about how Japan and the Japanese are supposed to be. Society wants you to conform to norms, or what's seen as a norm, anyway, no matter the country or proverbs. Things could change if not for the all the Nippon Kaigi members in the cabinet, an association the Japanese prime minister himself belongs to. According to wikipedia "Nippon Kaigi fights against feminism, LGBT rights, and the 1999 Gender Equality Law," and that's basically all one needs to know.

「浜崎あゆみ」であること
”歌う”ということ
それは”生きる”ということ

SCawaii May 2008

矛盾だらけの こんな私でも
許されますか 教えてよ

浜崎あゆみ 「I am...」

Old 15th June 2018, 04:38 PM
walking proud Initiate

^ I agree with you. But Ayu's speech did specifically refer to Japan and not world society in general; I was just repeating what she said.
Indeed that is what the norm is in Japan. People like Ayu who openly speak against it are kind of considered "bad" Japanese by a lot of people, but also have many who admire her for it.