[Charts & Rankings] NEXT LEVEL Official Sales & Positions Thread II ~the opening Run~ - Page 8 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 29th March 2009, 06:56 PM
WE WISH Initiate

@njanjayrp: Thats okay, I think their recent merge with J Soul Brothers will hurt them in the long run. All those dudes in one group will work against them imo. Happened that way with Kpop bands.

@SunshineSlayer: I don't compare only because I never expect Ayu to outsell Kuu. Kuu's popularity is still at somewhat of a peak while Ayu's has been at a long-term decline. Before the "All Night Nippon" controversy, she was selling more and more popular. Heck even after the controversy, Kingdom outsold GUILTY.

Last edited by lfe.; 29th March 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 07:03 PM
walking proud Initiate

^ The difference is though is that this time Trick's sales are pretty bad imo. It's one thing if Ayu can't beat another album of Kuu's that has good sales, but not beating one with bad sales is..well, bad too.
Old 29th March 2009, 07:16 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I don't think theres much difference there. Kingdom was considered a failure due to the sales numbers Black Cherry accomplished, and Kingdom still outsold GUILTY. Even for a bad-selling Kuu album, I pretty much expect it to outsell an Ayu album.

Although I am slightly disappointed only because D/G and R/S outsold SWM and Taboo.
Old 29th March 2009, 07:37 PM
Over Initiate

I hope she still gets #1 weekly..

FacebookLast.fm TwitterTumblr

Old 29th March 2009, 07:50 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
^ The difference is though is that this time Trick's sales are pretty bad imo. It's one thing if Ayu can't beat another album of Kuu's that has good sales, but not beating one with bad sales is..well, bad too.
I thought that a drop from 1.3 mil to barely 600k was huge? Considering all the things Kingdom had, the sales were bad imo. But as I said, it's too early to tell if NL is a flop or not. I am pretty sure BoA and Otsuka would kill for 200k in the first week XD And we should also keep in mind that the previous Ayu albums (including AC) have or have almost doubled their first week sales.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 29th March 2009, 09:01 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

200k is great!~~
glad to see that she's past that mark...
Old 29th March 2009, 09:08 PM
YOU Initiate

im hoping that it'll have a long chart life. idk....i think people will wait to see if it is good then decide to buy it. First week sales are like die hard fans....but we'll see....... im hoping it'll surpass 530k though.
Old 29th March 2009, 09:14 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

ahhh being happy for 200k haha I remember when we would be happy for 200k in the first day haha
Old 29th March 2009, 09:32 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Well, I say that because it doesn't look like its going to outsell Trick. I know people are saying don't do the Koda comparison, but I don't see why not. Especially when people don't seem to mind making koda comparisons so long as Ayu is the one on top. DCT will far surpass her sales and I think several other artist have a good shot at overtaking these sales too. The album is also dropping much faster than Guilty - the only day it outsold Guilty was the first day. The year has barely started, and already this album is only #7 on the album chart. Normally her first week sales alone should be able to put her much higher than that.

ehh i guess you're right. i was just saying don't compare ayu and kuu because that usually causes people around here to bash kuu

idk much about the oricon, but don't the sales figures already have the index already multiplied now?
Old 29th March 2009, 09:47 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Well, I say that because it doesn't look like its going to outsell Trick. I know people are saying don't do the Koda comparison, but I don't see why not. Especially when people don't seem to mind making koda comparisons so long as Ayu is the one on top. DCT will far surpass her sales and I think several other artist have a good shot at overtaking these sales too. The album is also dropping much faster than Guilty - the only day it outsold Guilty was the first day. The year has barely started, and already this album is only #7 on the album chart. Normally her first week sales alone should be able to put her much higher than that.
Though you should look on both optimistic realistic side and negative realistic side and not just the latter.

On the Negative realistic side, yeah TRICK is considered by many a flop and it might be dissapointed that NEXT LEVEL might not sell more than it.

On the optimistic realistic side, if you pay attension ayu's drops since her last million album were minor compared ot kumi's (and still are as it seems), (miss)understood around 877,000, Secret around 665,000 (A BEST 2 that both sold over 700,000 but since they are compilations I guess we need to exclude them), GUILTY that sold around 567,000 (A COMPLETE ~AS~ that sold almost 850,000 just last year though it's a compilation too) and now NEXT LEVEL that might end up on the 400,000 more or less and ayu had her peak a long ago and she is a few years old a singer than the time kumi is (also older in age than kumi), but kumi's drops are huge compared to ayu's and kumi just had her peak not so long ago. From BEST ~second session~ that sold around 1,790,000 (if I remember correctly) to around 1,100,000 with Black Cherry to 610,000 with Kingdom and with TRICK around 400,000 also more or less.

It is dissapointing that it won't sell over a past studio album (like the recent years) or close to it but if you look at the whole and not just the -, as you are comparing the two in this case, ayu's drops between albums considering her peak, age, years in the industry, to kumi's drops it's like taking a "trip in heaven" against jumping a "bungee jump". That's why NEXT LEVEL's sales can be considered a normal drop and not an abnormal flop.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 29th March 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:05 PM
Real me Initiate

The same conversations arise at the release of every Ayu album. I'm going to find what I said about (miss)understood and replace the words 'miss(understood)' with 'Next Level' and I'm sure it'll be exactly what everyone is talking about here.

Relax.

Like the album. Don't worry about sales. Relax. Take a break.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:05 PM

that is true ayumisrael, but you'd have to exclude best second session as it was a compilation album too.

plus take into account that ayu has had more time on top (where she basically started on top and you can't really keep going up once you're at a certain level especially in the music industry), while kuu started on the very bottom and worked her way up gradually. also factor in kuu opening her wacky mouth and angering some people.

plus not to mention their different styles of music (ayu has been more pop rockish and kuu more r&b popish) and how the general public views these styles of music. too many things to factor really, so i guess if you look at it from a certain angle, you can't really compare them. it's like comparing britney spears to uhh, avril. :?

Quote:
lol, if ONLY.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:10 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
that is true ayumisrael, but you'd have to exclude best second session as it was a compilation album too.

plus take into account that ayu has had more time on top (where she basically started on top and you can't really keep going up once you're at a certain level especially in the music industry), while kuu started on the very bottom and worked her way up gradually. also factor in kuu opening her wacky mouth and angering some people.

plus not to mention their different styles of music (ayu has been more pop rockish and kuu more r&b popish) and how the general public views these styles of music. too many things to factor really, so i guess if you look at it from a certain angle, you can't really compare them. it's like comparing britney spears to uhh, avril. :?

lol, if ONLY.
That's they are different in styles and everything I highly agree that's why I won't normally compare artists to each other at all, they are both very unique

Btw ayu also build her way up to top, she didn't start from a peak, her first singles sold bad but her first album sold million and than her single sales started to slowly grow and even gained a million seller single that lead into a 2 and a half million selling album and the one after that sold even more and then A BEST that sold over 4 million.
For kumi it just took some years to build it. So both should get props and kudos for going up and not starting high and flop ever since, I love artists like that and those two aren't my two favorites for nothing. ^_^.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:17 PM

oh i never meant ayu shouldn't get props or kudos, LOL she is a very hard worker and didn't reach the top for nothing. i just meant that her career started out less rocky than kuu's and she has spent much more time on top than kuu has, so people have higher expectations for ayu which isn't really possible anymore in the age of piracy and the constantly changing music biz. they are still both top selling female artists.

i hope they both continue to stay on top, and i don't consider either of them flops. if they're flops, think about how poor boa, ai otsuka and the other female jpop singers must feel LOL
Old 29th March 2009, 10:21 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
oh i never meant ayu shouldn't get props or kudos, LOL she is a very hard worker and didn't reach the top for nothing. i just meant that her career started out less rocky than kuu's and she has spent much more time on top than kuu has, so people have higher expectations for ayu which isn't really possible anymore in the age of piracy and the constantly changing music biz. they are still both top selling female artists.

i hope they both continue to stay on top, and i don't consider either of them flops. if they're flops, think about how poor boa, ai otsuka and the other female jpop singers must feel LOL
Yes, I agree with that whole post.
Expectations kill. Also we shouldn't be dissapointed just because of a company called avex trax and their ever changing toppers, promotions & marketings -_-. They replace artists on top like underwear and while giving them good P&M the others will just stay there until they can be used to get popular, or to get back to be their top. I wish they would consist on multiple tops.
ayu's words in alterna are so echoing everywhere thinking about those stuff (and it's a great song too). =D
Old 29th March 2009, 10:32 PM
CAROLS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~X2RADialbomber~ View Post
The same conversations arise at the release of every Ayu album. I'm going to find what I said about (miss)understood and replace the words 'miss(understood)' with 'Next Level' and I'm sure it'll be exactly what everyone is talking about here.

Relax.

Hai Always the same
Old 29th March 2009, 10:37 PM
JEWEL Initiate

I think NEXT LEVEL has a few saving graces left! The encore USBs for one, the tour, and like someone said, maybe people are waiting to see if it's any good and will pick it up later. I think the more mainstream sound helps as well since it's definitely what's in right now. I think this album has a chance at decent longevity.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:52 PM
Lelio Protector

Also the tour might help (Hopefully) and the TV broadcast that ayu will have on WOWOW on April 2nd (that I just posted about). XD
Old 29th March 2009, 11:16 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Yay! And all the magazines she'll be doing! I hope sales increase/stabilize!
Old 29th March 2009, 11:22 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

I know I was one of the people saying no more ayu vs. any female artist. But I would like to say... kuu's Kingdom became a flop not due to her popularity. It's her careless talk incident. It caused her HUGE with just a small mistake (well probly it's big mistake but I dun think it's that serious). Remember that Kingdom's first week sales wasn't bad (I think that incident occurred on the 4th or 5th day of Kingdom's first week). Kingdom managed to sell over 400K on the first week meaning that it might have a strong leg to sell over 700 - 800K in the end. Right after that mistake avex ceased ALL the promotion of Kingdom, banning kuu from public for at least 2 months or so (I forgot how long cuz I'm not a kuu fan). Then her popularity decreased quite sharply. If that incident didn't occur, I think kuu's popularity would decrease eventually, but it would have decrease in a steady pace like what ayu's suffering rite now.

i think they all need a chance to prove themselves that they can shine again. I'm not sure if ayu will have this chance in the future, but I think she may. Right now I feel that she doesn't create any large driving force to affect people's mind. I mean, back then she created lyrics that had common with the youngsters, she made herself super trendy that all the girls wanna follow the trends. At first I thought she couldn't do it anymore since she wanna be so glamorous and distant herself from the public (honestly how many girls can afford branded outfit?). But NL gave me a feeling that she may be able to pull out that force again... if only her music (and music videos) can match that vibe.
Closed Thread

Tags
oricon