[Utada Hikaru] ☆ Goodbye Happiness in Utada Hikaru's 45th Thread ☆ - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·


Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 12th August 2011, 03:50 PM
NintendoHTF1242's Avatar
NintendoHTF1242 NintendoHTF1242 is offline
Secret Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Heartplace
Posts: 11,101
I must be the only one who really enjoyed Exodus and This Is the One the first time I heard them. Exodus was so magical to me lol.
__________________
Tumblr
  #182  
Old 12th August 2011, 03:54 PM
Lady~Deviance's Avatar
Lady~Deviance Lady~Deviance is offline
ever free Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Urban Wonderland
Posts: 1,295
At least this thread is thriving with life. I was worried folks wouldn't come back to the hikki thread until who knows when.

I hope she comes back at least by the end of next year. Just wishful thinking on my part.
__________________

  #183  
Old 12th August 2011, 05:18 PM
koumori's Avatar
koumori koumori is offline
RAINBOW Guardian

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
I must be the only one who really enjoyed Exodus and This Is the One the first time I heard them. Exodus was so magical to me lol.
I enjoy both albums, but I think what fans have a hard time coming to terms with is that TITO wasn't meant to be Exodus Part II, it's a different genre of music and you can tell Utada worked a very different concept for it. So for people expecting more Exodus-like songs, I can see their point to why they'd call TITO 'lazy'. I'm just happy I can listen to both quite happily.
  #184  
Old 12th August 2011, 05:46 PM
CoriKaru's Avatar
CoriKaru CoriKaru is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Behind You, In The Closet, Pushing You Out
Posts: 4,623
Also remember that Utada didn't even produce any of the tracks on "This Is The One" so there was never anyway we would get more Exodus or any of her true sound really.

All of the "laziness" falls on the shoulders of her producers as far as I'm concerned. Although I wish Utada had told them "NO" when she heard the tracks. If she had a choice and STILL said to herself that all of that sounded like a winner well then that's a judgement call we can hold her accountable for. Perhaps Island Def Jam didn't provide her that kind of flexibility though.

Nevertheless, I would have walked away, pulled "my" mac out and made some asian magic. Kay?
__________________

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
  #185  
Old 12th August 2011, 05:52 PM
Minttulatte's Avatar
Minttulatte Minttulatte is offline
MY STORY Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 7,733
I remember that Island Def Jam producers added something on one of her songs on TITO. I don't remember which one it was but I felt really annoyed because they modified a song Hikki had composed herself D:

To me TITO doesn't sound rushed at all. Just different compared to Exodus. I loved TITO the moment I heard first song. It was amazing, and it still is no matter how mainstream it is.
__________________

~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3
~ Twitter

  #186  
Old 12th August 2011, 05:58 PM
Not Fade Away's Avatar
Not Fade Away Not Fade Away is offline
And Then Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 907
Like I said on the last page, I enjoyed both albums. I really loved TITO because it sounded like what First Love would have sounded like if it were made in the year 2009. Plus, it was a pleasant surprise because I didn't really have any high expectations for the album. Utada herself said that she just wanted to make a pop album, so I think it was one of those "I feel like doing this now" moments for her.
__________________


I am forever a proud BlackJack.

  #187  
Old 12th August 2011, 05:59 PM
NintendoHTF1242's Avatar
NintendoHTF1242 NintendoHTF1242 is offline
Secret Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Heartplace
Posts: 11,101
I wish she had chosen better singles and better promoted it. Apples and Cinnamon would have been huge.
__________________
Tumblr
  #188  
Old 12th August 2011, 06:12 PM
Minttulatte's Avatar
Minttulatte Minttulatte is offline
MY STORY Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 7,733
^Yes and This One (Crying Like A Child).
__________________

~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3
~ Twitter

  #189  
Old 12th August 2011, 06:24 PM
koumori's Avatar
koumori koumori is offline
RAINBOW Guardian

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
I wish she had chosen better singles and better promoted it. Apples and Cinnamon would have been huge.
I think that would have been more popular than the leading single..which was Come Back To Me, right?

To be honest, all the songs have a different feel to the songs I usually hear from the RnB genre in America/U.K, so I believe any of them could have been popular. I just never saw any promotion Which is what it comes down to usually. I mean, Exodus was released in the U.K and I live here, and never knew that. I thought it was an America-only release. Maybe it was because they didn't know how she'd be accepted, but I didn't know how they thought she'd get popular without a few promotion shows and appearences on TV. She had Elton John on her side!! Sheesh.
  #190  
Old 12th August 2011, 06:26 PM
Minttulatte's Avatar
Minttulatte Minttulatte is offline
MY STORY Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 7,733
Speaking of Exodus, I really love the UK release cover. Why was American release's cover so boring? D:
__________________

~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3
~ Twitter

  #191  
Old 12th August 2011, 07:59 PM
Not Fade Away's Avatar
Not Fade Away Not Fade Away is offline
And Then Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 907
lol not as boring as TITO's cover though, ;-P
__________________


I am forever a proud BlackJack.

  #192  
Old 12th August 2011, 09:20 PM
CoriKaru's Avatar
CoriKaru CoriKaru is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Behind You, In The Closet, Pushing You Out
Posts: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
Utada herself said that she just wanted to make a pop album, so I think it was one of those "I feel like doing this now" moments for her.
More like Island DEAF Jam called her up and asked her to fulfill the rest of her contract and so she asked, "What'll you give me for it?"

They said "The opportunity to live yo' life and not get sued."

Utada said, "How about you sue me. That'll get me more promotion than you've ever gotten me. I just want promotion.

They said, "Why yes my dear."

Unbeknownst to Utada, by promotion, they meant waiting for her to release Japanese Material to release a Best Of containing all of her English "HITS" in an attempt to piggy back to the bank.

They still failed and didn't piggy back to nothing but a piggy bank with some quarters, dimes and nickels.

Utada said, "I can't mess with ya'll anymore."

Island Def Jam said, "We can't mess up your English Career anymore."

So they parted ways, Utada took a hiatus to go eat at McDonald's and Island Def Jam took a moment to donate all the proceedings of the Best Of to a cause in need: themselves.

Seriously though, they called her up and asked her when she was gonna get busy and she said okay.

She wasn't really inspired to do anything in that moment at all.
__________________

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
  #193  
Old 12th August 2011, 09:38 PM
Zeke.'s Avatar
Zeke. Zeke. is offline
Beautiful Day Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manhattan, NYC
Posts: 9,686
I did not like Exodus overall when I first bought it way back when. I was so disappointed but then I found the magic in it.

For me, well, I do not like much of her older R&B material as it is. To me, Hikki is her etheral, surrealistic style and that's how I like her, the new Utada Hikaru. The old I cannot handle.
  #194  
Old 13th August 2011, 04:26 AM
Zahara's Avatar
Zahara Zahara is offline
monochrome Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 708
"Also remember that Utada didn't even produce any of the tracks on "This Is The One" "

I thought she was credited for a few songs? I don't have my copy with me though...
  #195  
Old 13th August 2011, 05:05 AM
Not Fade Away's Avatar
Not Fade Away Not Fade Away is offline
And Then Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
More like Island DEAF Jam called her up and asked her to fulfill the rest of her contract and so she asked, "What'll you give me for it?"

They said "The opportunity to live yo' life and not get sued."

Utada said, "How about you sue me. That'll get me more promotion than you've ever gotten me. I just want promotion.

They said, "Why yes my dear."

Unbeknownst to Utada, by promotion, they meant waiting for her to release Japanese Material to release a Best Of containing all of her English "HITS" in an attempt to piggy back to the bank.

They still failed and didn't piggy back to nothing but a piggy bank with some quarters, dimes and nickels.

Utada said, "I can't mess with ya'll anymore."

Island Def Jam said, "We can't mess up your English Career anymore."

So they parted ways, Utada took a hiatus to go eat at McDonald's and Island Def Jam took a moment to donate all the proceedings of the Best Of to a cause in need: themselves.

Seriously though, they called her up and asked her when she was gonna get busy and she said okay.

She wasn't really inspired to do anything in that moment at all.


Haha I love when you go into story-telling mode, please do this more often.

It's true though, they probs did coerce her into doing it, but I remember her being like "Yeah I just wanted to do a random, good, pop album this time," as well. Knowing stupid Island Def Jam though they were probably like "If you don't do an English album people understand, we'll kick you in the face"

Well she def got her revengeeeeeeeeeeee!
__________________


I am forever a proud BlackJack.

  #196  
Old 13th August 2011, 05:09 AM
Huaka's Avatar
Huaka Huaka is offline
still alone Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,500
I only like FYI / Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on TITO even though it has atrocious lyrics. I have to admit even though Exodus was pretty bleh to me, the songs are a lot more catchier and I would be willing to listen to them out of the blue. Kremlin Dusk, Devil Inside, and Animato (or was it Hotel Lobby?) were pretty cool songs.
__________________
Want to try something new? Go to the Official Song Review Thread!
- Review songs and try out ones from new artists you've never heard from before! It's fun!
  #197  
Old 13th August 2011, 05:16 AM
Not Fade Away's Avatar
Not Fade Away Not Fade Away is offline
And Then Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 907
Animato is the one that's like "I need someone whose true, someone who does the laundry too..." etc etc lol

Hotel Lobby is "Meet me in the hotel lobby, everybody's looking lonely...ahhhhh...ahhhh..."

The only reason I can't listen to a lot of Exodus is because I listened to it hard-core when I was going through a rough patch in my life so associate a couple of the songs with that bad time :-/. Luckily the live versions of KD, YMMWTBAM, and DI saved them for me.

All this talk about TITO vs Exodus....gosh Precious just gets no credit what-so-ever...hahahaha.

Come on! No one loves 'My Little Lover Boy'? That was Utada GOLD people. :-P
__________________


I am forever a proud BlackJack.

  #198  
Old 13th August 2011, 06:48 AM
Zeke.'s Avatar
Zeke. Zeke. is offline
Beautiful Day Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manhattan, NYC
Posts: 9,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
Animato is the one that's like "I need someone whose true, someone who does the laundry too..." etc etc lol

Hotel Lobby is "Meet me in the hotel lobby, everybody's looking lonely...ahhhhh...ahhhh..."

The only reason I can't listen to a lot of Exodus is because I listened to it hard-core when I was going through a rough patch in my life so associate a couple of the songs with that bad time :-/. Luckily the live versions of KD, YMMWTBAM, and DI saved them for me.

All this talk about TITO vs Exodus....gosh Precious just gets no credit what-so-ever...hahahaha.

Come on! No one loves 'My Little Lover Boy'? That was Utada GOLD people. :-P
I downloaded Precious twice but I don't think I ever listened to it considering I know how different that stuff is from the stuff she does today and the reason I love her. Lol.
  #199  
Old 13th August 2011, 06:54 AM
Not Fade Away's Avatar
Not Fade Away Not Fade Away is offline
And Then Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 907
^ haha I mostly listen to it for laughs. It's not horrible (her voice actually sounds really good for being that young), but you're right, it's super different.
__________________


I am forever a proud BlackJack.

  #200  
Old 13th August 2011, 11:37 AM
bluegie's Avatar
bluegie bluegie is offline
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,884
I wouldn't say TITO sounds lazy. I think it's her intention to make a mainstream album for a slightly better appeal to the American market. Probly a more casual album could attract general listeners? The point is, the sales would not be really good at all if she didn't really promote it hard, no matter what kind of music she was selling.
__________________
...
...
...
.
Closed Thread

Tags
hikki, singles collection 2, utada hikaru

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.