[Translation] ViVi 2017-06 Interview (partial translation) - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Celebrity News

Notices

Old 22nd April 2017, 11:47 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

ViVi 2017-06 Interview (partial translation)

I was only gonna translate a few snippets and somehow ended up with 1000 words…

I translated two chunks of the interview which I liked most. In other words, this isn’t the entire interview.

---

This issue celebrated the end of Ayu’s Deji Deji Diary with a long interview. The 1st diary started in September 2000. Ayu and ViVi take a look back.

---

Q: Everyone was constantly looking forward to seeing a new "ayu". Short blond hair, teardrop sunglasses — You set many fashion and make-up trends.

Ayu: However, when I look back at these photographs now, I realise there were a few times when I only liked something for a second, or I didn’t even like something all that much. I guess that’s also interesting in itself (laughs).

Q: What? Really?

Ayu: I wasn’t lying or anything like that. At the time, the feeling "I absolutely need to keep changing [my look]" was simply stronger than whether I really liked an item or not, I think. This also meant that, whenever I did find something I could like forever, I’d change it eventually, because always looking the same wouldn’t be interesting. I wouldn’t be able to entertain through my appearance? That’s why I would suddenly darken my hair although I preferred bright hair, and I would alternate between a tanned look and white skin. Things like that.

Q: Were you trying too hard?

Ayu: I think it did feel good at the time. Wearing new clothes is fun. And people would tell me "You look great" and imitate me. Seeing everyone match my look made me happy. But, to be honest, I may have been trying a bit too hard at times, huh. I have to do something. I have to change. Before I knew it, it had become "Ayumi Hamasaki’s mission" to do outlandish things — At the time, I truly felt that was right and I threw myself into it. I’m sure I shined brightly.

However, I’ve turned into an adult since then. Nowadays I don’t think that "evolving" and "changing" equal each other. I do think I should always hold on to the need to keep evolving. As humans, all of us have to deal with various things decaying. I think it’s wrong to just give up and put yourself down. That said, I no longer feel the need to change constantly. I’ve undergone various changes and transformations. I now know what truly feels good to me, what’s truly important to me. I think I should let myself continue to evolve, while keeping in touch with the times, so I won’t become too self-satisfied.

[…]

Q: In contrast, are there times when you hate yourself, thinking "I won’t ever turn back into this low version of myself"?

Ayu: I don’t really like the me who blindly did everything what was expected of me. How should I put it… I think it’s rude towards myself, and also to Team Ayu to whom I always try to convey my thoughts. I still think that version of me wasn’t great at all.

Q: Do you also mean musically?

Ayu: Musically, too. There are times when I’m asked to write a heart-breaking ballad when I’m actually feeling really positive. If it’s for work, then I’ll do it, of course. But if such a situation carries on too long, it’s like constantly being told to smile even though you’re not happy. It eats at me to lie to myself like that. It’s not good. Right?

Q: Have you stopped doing such things?

Ayu: Yes. I don’t want to start hating myself. Supposing some of ViVi’s readers hate their current self or don’t know whether they like themselves, I hope they won’t just stop there. Try to find the you that you like. Because she definitely exists —

Don’t leave it to others. Find her inside of you first. What makes you feel good? Try to think of a day when you felt good. Try to think what made you feel that way. Was it because you were wearing a different colour than usual? Was it because you were in a different group than usual? Things like that. There’s no way that every day is exactly the same, so there must’ve been a reason. You simply haven’t noticed it because you weren’t looking for it. It’s a waste to end your life because you hate yourself or because you don’t know what you want to do in the future. You could wait for someone to come along and tell you "You’re wonderful when you do this" or "You’re definitely suited for this job", but there’s no guarantee such a person will appear. Even if you stay passive, no one will find your answer for you. That’s because the answer is something you have to find yourself.

Q: Did you also find it yourself like that?

Ayu: I did. The times change, my age changes, even my surroundings change rapidly. However, I think it’s enough to simply rediscover how to love myself in those times. There might be people who turn the present into a preparatory period, thinking "The good me lies in the future and once I find her, I’ll be stick with her my entire life".

But, life has no preparatory period, right? I especially want ViVi’s reader generation to live in the present. You could worry about the future, but what will you do if something unexpected happens?

Q: That’s very true. I think it also equals living without regrets?

Ayu: I definitely think so. I don’t know how my current circumstances will change. There’s probably not much I can do about it. Asking "What do I want to do?" is more important. I think it’s a waste to turn the present into a preparatory period for turning into who you want to become. You can just do that when that "someday" has actually arrived, can’t you? I think that’s enough, especially for ViVi’s reader generation.

---

Also, Ayu mentioned it was her decision to stop Deji Deji Diary. She reached 200 volumes in her 19th year. She felt this was a nice time to quit. She wants to focus on her 20th anniversary next year.

Last edited by tenshi no hane; 22nd April 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:34 PM
Love song H-Initiate

Thank you!
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:54 PM
No way to say Initiate

thank you! I just received the magazine and I looked through it but I haven't read interview in Japanese. I first read your translation!

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:19 PM
Love song H-Initiate

Surprisingly it was ayu's decision to stop doing diary.

I think lately it didn't take much time. Just choose few photos from instagram, remember what you were wearing on them and write few words to readers
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:33 PM
ourselves Initiate

Thank you so much! Are you planning to somehow make a complete translation or maybe someone else will complete?

I love how she is really really honest and sounded so adult-like here and yes confident too <3

Quote:
Ayu: Musically, too. There are times when I’m asked to write a heart-breaking ballad when I’m actually feeling really positive. If it’s for work, then I’ll do it, of course. But if such a situation carries on too long, it’s like constantly being told to smile even though you’re not happy. It eats at me to lie to myself like that. It’s not good. Right?
Interesting, wonder which song and who asked her to write a sad ballad while shes happy, lol
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:36 PM
ever free Initiate

Wow, that was a very insightful interview. Interesting that she admitted that she changed her appearance just to continue doing something new, even if she didn't fully commit to it. I'm glad she's more comfortable with doing what she likes now

Old 22nd April 2017, 03:14 PM
everlasting dream Initiate

You're welcome, y'all~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuWorld View Post
Thank you so much! Are you planning to somehow make a complete translation or maybe someone else will complete?
Nope, I already spent more time on this than I originally planned lol.

So if any other translator is itching to translate the rest, feel free.
Old 22nd April 2017, 03:19 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuWorld View Post

Interesting, wonder which song and who asked her to write a sad ballad while shes happy, lol
She probably wasn't always happy during summer and sad during winter xD

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 22nd April 2017, 03:21 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Thank you so much tenshi for your translation.
I love the interview, because I have been struggling with some of those issues recently. Her advice is very inspirational and motivating to continue what I do.

Old 22nd April 2017, 11:25 PM
End of the World Initiate

I'm not crying, you are!! Really great interview, thank you so much for translating.
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:09 AM
End roll Initiate

Some great insights there, thank you for translating. There is definitely that idea of fashion trend setter product 'Ayumi Hamasaki' there around 2000-2001 being talked about there.

I think Ayu choosing to stop the Deji Deji diary, though it is a shame/end of that era is right now that she uses Instagram more and has launched the app which should more than replace deji deji.
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:57 AM
And Then Initiate

Thank you so much for translating!! Hope someone translates the rest. It's a very interesting and honest interview

Tsk, I really want this magazine but it's sold out everywhere and I don'k know no one who lives in Japan T_T
Old 23rd April 2017, 01:25 AM
still alone Initiate

So thankful for a translation.
It was interesting. But I always crave more. I wish Ayu would really go in depth one day.
I also think that she was referring to Avex perhaps about being asked to write certain songs.
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:08 AM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

thank you so much for your translation!

I just want to forget it all, without even saying "goodbye."
『Last minute』

Old 23rd April 2017, 02:32 AM
SAKURA Initiate

Quote:
Q: Have you stopped doing such things?

Ayu: Yes. I don’t want to start hating myself. Supposing some of ViVi’s readers hate their current self or don’t know whether they like themselves, I hope they won’t just stop there. Try to find the you that you like. Because she definitely exists —

Don’t leave it to others. Find her inside of you first. What makes you feel good? Try to think of a day when you felt good. Try to think what made you feel that way. Was it because you were wearing a different colour than usual? Was it because you were in a different group than usual? Things like that. There’s no way that every day is exactly the same, so there must’ve been a reason. You simply haven’t noticed it because you weren’t looking for it. It’s a waste to end your life because you hate yourself or because you don’t know what you want to do in the future. You could wait for someone to come along and tell you "You’re wonderful when you do this" or "You’re definitely suited for this job", but there’s no guarantee such a person will appear. Even if you stay passive, no one will find your answer for you. That’s because the answer is something you have to find yourself.
This section really touched me the most... Overall - this seems like such a beautiful interview, so far! Thank you for translating & I hope someone will continue translating the rest of this interview, sometime in the near future.

Lisa on social media @ twitter & tumblr!

Old 23rd April 2017, 02:37 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I totally understand where she is coming from for a lot of these answers.

Thank you~
Old 23rd April 2017, 05:40 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Thanks for the translation.
Old 24th April 2017, 12:37 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Thank you so much!

Her answers are really amazing tho. Girl is so conscious about everything that is happening around her and her career. That's incredible. Slay!!!

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 26th April 2017, 05:21 PM
Greatful days Initiate

You made my life simpler - almost died reading first portion of the interview with reference to dictionary

sig - me

LJ | LastFM | LJ icons | Blog

Old 27th April 2017, 02:54 AM
forgiveness Initiate

Thank you for the translation. That was a great interview. Ayu has such great insight and wisdom regarding life, but sometimes I feel as though there is a disconnect between what she says in interviews and then things she does in terms of musical direction or personal life... lol

Tags
translation, vivi