New song 'We are the QUEENS' scheduled for September 30th release - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 15th September 2016, 05:21 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokani View Post
She looks so hot!
I've always wished for Ayu as a Warrior Queen in an MV. I can't wait to hear the whole song.
I pray hard that avex will make a PV for this song. An extended version of the CM.
Old 15th September 2016, 05:24 PM
Love song H-Initiate

big cover for digital single

Old 15th September 2016, 05:26 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
You have no idea about Japanese commercials.
I was in Japan last July and there was this advertisement going on, showing people literally facing off with one another. There was also a scene of two elderly men playing chess. And as the commercial progressed, all their 'fights' got more intense and dramatic (in a Japanese way) and then it ended off with an app promotion (I think Clash of Clans?). I was literally stunned and how random they can possibly be.

Ayu's CM at least even bothers using her as a figure of a Queen LOL
Lol well at least the cm you are referring to communicates that Clash of Clans (or whatever) is a game that involves intense skill, and being on the edge of your seat while trying to anticipate your opponents next move so you can outwit them (like chess).
Old 15th September 2016, 05:32 PM
Far away Initiate

Mixed feelings about the song. The chorus is nice but the instrumental is just meh and the "wow"s are nothing special. I wonder who composed/arranged it.
Old 15th September 2016, 06:04 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I guess I don't really see the ad as being very clever. The best ads go out on a limb, but in a way that makes you go "ah!" or something to that effect. If I presented this concept to my advertising portfolio development class, I know I would not get high remarks by anyone. To me, it doesn't communicate the message very effectively. The message of the brand or the benefit of using the product should be easily understood.
Of Course you live in Wisconsin... Same thing would happen in the opposite case. I don't get the commercial either... like I don't get most of Japanese commercials, cause it is a different market and culture. But after all... I don't care about the concept of the add... It isn't like Ayu did the marketing plan for the game, she was just picked to figure on the commercial. It gave us a flawless photoshoot and promising new music... I really don't care about not understanding the commercial.

EDIT : i just read myself and realized my message might sound a bit aggressive but I am not ahah! I just have 6 post here but I have been visiting the forum and reading it for yeaaaars and I like the critical aspects you bring into it (even if I don't agree all the time... ahaha but i do sometimes!).

Last edited by AyuCanada; 15th September 2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 15th September 2016, 06:23 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
I guess I don't really see the ad as being very clever. The best ads go out on a limb, but in a way that makes you go "ah!" or something to that effect. If I presented this concept to my advertising portfolio development class, I know I would not get high remarks by anyone. To me, it doesn't communicate the message very effectively. The message of the brand or the benefit of using the product should be easily understood.
Most advertising doen't really work on a different culture.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 15th September 2016, 07:08 PM
Initiate

She looks great and the commercial's bizarrely fun. Not so sure about the song, but it'll grow on me. No petty complaints from me!

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 15th September 2016, 08:17 PM
ayu trance Initiate

It's definitly the most interesting collaboration she has done since years.... it's well done, she looks great and fierce so as the song ! I assume the MV will be a continuation of the CM and tbh I waited for yearrrrrs for something that cool ! GO AYU =)

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Old 15th September 2016, 08:31 PM
Secret Initiate

Sounds like any other Ayu song lol it does nothing for me. Cool concept though, in regards to the art direction with the CM.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:49 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I mean heck, most of Ayu's D-snap advertisements were mostly odd concepts. Fighting with an mp3 player rod? The camera ones at least showed off the anti-shake blur feature.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:50 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I've studied Japanese advertising campaigns from in preparation for an interview with Ogilvy & Mather JP. They had many that inspired me and that were easily graspable.

Or you could take Dentsu for example, Japan's very own #1 award-winning advertising agency. Their campaigns are world-renowned and employ the best practices.

Good advertising is universal. The thing is, there's not a whole lot of good advertising, lol.

And again, the problem isn't outlandish advertising, I think it's just a weird language thing. By definition I took Clash of Queens to mean a coming together of various and multiple powers in a battle for supremacy. Communicating that as "Race Queen (a type of queen)" vs "Clash of Queen (multiple queens in battle, or the games concept itself, )" is a fail in my opinion.

Anyways, this isn't a critique on Ayu (she looks phenomenal in the CM and as mentioned the art direction is on point), but as someone whose been studying advertising for the past 4 years I can't help but analyze the idea itself and critique whether or not I feel the message is being delivered in the best possible way, as well as make an attempt to follow the logic. This is especially important considering my end goal is to work at an advertising agency in Japan. I guess it's good to know that you don't have to come up with particularly smart ideas to do it. Lol.

Last edited by Zeke.; 15th September 2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:56 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
I've studied Japanese advertising campaigns from in preparation for an interview with Ogilvy & Mather JP. They had many that inspired me and that were easily graspable.

Or you could take Dentsu for example, Japan's very own #1 award-winning advertising agency. Their campaigns are world-renowned and employ the best practices.

Good advertising is universal. The thing is, there's not a whole lot of good advertising, lol.
Or some advertising agencies just want to become the hot topic with a meme-like commercial and that works too. I love how Japan works so out of the box when it comes to advertisements. This concept was not that hard to grasp tbh if you know how Japan works with their "wordplay" or thought string logic at times.

If anything, it is a lack of understanding on your part and not really an issue with the ad itself.

Last edited by truehappiness; 15th September 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:28 PM
Voyage Initiate

I'm happy with the cover - glad they're keeping the theme. Love the whole look of the CM and can't wait to hear/see more.

I'm also kinda hoping for a remix looping the "Yes, we are the queens" line too!
Old 15th September 2016, 11:16 PM
SURREAL Initiate

I hope the PV, if that ever happen, will have an epic battle scene, the Lord of the Ring type of battle scene. Not some dull battle thingy in Song 4 U... I want Ayu who can literally slay and kick ass.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:39 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

A NEXT LEVEL-ish album would be neat featuring this.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refix View Post
I hope the PV, if that ever happen, will have an epic battle scene, the Lord of the Ring type of battle scene. Not some dull battle thingy in Song 4 U... I want Ayu who can literally slay and kick ass.
That would be so good, but it will never happen.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:59 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Or some advertising agencies just want to become the hot topic with a meme-like commercial and that works too. I love how Japan works so out of the box when it comes to advertisements. This concept was not that hard to grasp tbh if you know how Japan works with their "wordplay" or thought string logic at times.

If anything, it is a lack of understanding on your part and not really an issue with the ad itself.
I agree with you, I think Japanese advertisements don't work the same way as American or European and that's a known fact. The advertisement is funny because we all know that it's for a "clash of clans game" they've been promoting it quite a lot in Japan or at least Tokyo recently, and then it's funny because it makes ayu look a bit funny stupid like she got things mixed up so easily. The ads in Japan aren't necessarily made to convey to product etc etc it's more to make the audience giggle, be intrigued and remember it. You'll remember super easily the add where ayu got race queen and clash of Queen mixed up. Pop culture in Japan works that way. You remember songs because you heard them in a CM once or because there was something weird about a CM you check out a product. Albeit not the most "intellectual" form of advertisement it's memorable, and funny and it creates awareness for the video game.

set made my me

Old 16th September 2016, 12:08 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
That would be so good, but it will never happen.
They had a completely different team working on this CM but who knows maybe they'll do a PV too~ A lot of freelance people.
Old 16th September 2016, 12:25 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I think it's logic based humor

For example

Bacon is food
Food is necessary to live
Bacon is necessary to live

Clash of queens
Race queen is queen
Clash of race queens

Logically it works. It's just not true.

Also it's a self aware ad. The soldier at the end -literally- says "something's not right *awkward smile*"

It's a humor based commercial with no intention of being literal. Nor is it supposed to show gameplay and express what happens in the game. Thats more or less what the queens song version is for.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 16th September 2016, 01:02 AM
still alone Initiate

I think everyone has a valid point here.
I think that to many people, what makes an advertisement good is if it clearly conveys the product. What it is, what it does, when it is available, how it works, while also making the commercial interesting enough to make you pay attention and remember the ad and product.
For me personally, This ad told me that it is a mobile game called Clash Of Queens, I didn't really learn what it does or how to play but I am just not familiar with these clash games, it gave the release date, and I did find it memorable despite not knowing Japanese or the joke.
From what I understand, the humor is that Ayu shows up to a clash of queens kind of war but she arrives as a racing queen. This is funny because that is a goofy mistake to do? Part of the humor is that it doesn't make sense?
If Zeke has been studying advertising for years then I think there must be some truth to what he says, he might be a better authority on what makes good advertisement.
Overall I don't think it's worth getting mad over. All we wanted was to see Ayu anyway and that they did perfectly.

Last edited by EndOfTheWorld; 16th September 2016 at 01:14 AM.

Tags
clash of queens, we are the queens