[A] MADE IN JAPAN song opinions! - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 11th May 2016, 03:41 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

tasky - 3.5/5

FLOWER - 2.5/5

Mad World - 2.5/5

Breakdown - 3/5

Survivor - 2/5

You are the only one - 4/5

TODAY - 2.5/5

Mr.Darling - 2.5/5

Summer Love - 3/5

Based on my first listen. It seems better than Colours, but on par with A ONE and Sixxxxxx. Ayu needs to experiment more with arrangement for me to be blown away. Everything is original, but nothing sounds *classic* to me.
Old 11th May 2016, 03:54 PM
Because of You Initiate

tasky - that's an interesting intro, i'm in love with that shamisen! 5/5

FLOWER - somehow this is so heavy but at the same time it has that softness in there because of all the other traditional instruments. It's like GACKT melted in with Ayu lol I really love it. 5/5

Mad World - I really am enjoying this one a lot. Her vocals remind me of Klaha, because of the way she sings. I love that deeper range she's giving here. The song it self is really good, too. Really like the chorus, the way everything just melts into one with that occasional piano sneaking in. I actually really would love if this one got a PV. There's just something about it that would give a great visual. 5/5

Breakdown - man..this song is gorgeous. The verses are a bit on the simpler side and a bit more mediocre, but the way that chorus is crafted and the whole melody flows is really lovely. I love the richness in the arrangement in the choruses. She sounds nice too. And that guitar part near the end is a killer. 4/5

Survivor - this is straight up INSPIRE on steroids! I was never a fan of INSPIRE, but this one is LOVE. She sounds really strong and fierce, too. And i love the arrangement! Amazing track! 5/5

You are the only one - oh my this one is such a stunning beauty. The airiness and the smoothness of the arrangement and the flow is gorgeous, the use of that something what sounds like scotch pipes is a very unique addition to the rest of it. The only thing that bothers me a little is Ayu's faked vibrato that she's using in some parts, but her voice sounds so angelic in the higher notes in the chorus that i forgave her instantly for that. Absolutelly breathtaking track. Best ballad since Sweet Scar for me. 6/5

TODAY - this is a very typical Ayu track. It does feel like a great concert ending piece. Rather forgettable but still nice to listen to. She sounds lovely. Does feel like it would work nice on LOVE again. It's not a bad piece whatsoever. 3/5

Mr. Darling - I love the simplicity of the arrangement, but i'm a bit taken aback by her voice. I still do think it's an enjoyable track. Very uplifting. I don't think i'll be listening to this on repeat, but yeah it's not bad. There's still something quite fresh about it. Reminds me of Out of control which i love. So i think i'll be still enjoying this one too. 4/5

Summer Love - I'm not impressed but it does feel like listening to j-pop. Para para anyone? I might be skipping this one though, but only because i am not really an EDM person. It isn't bad, but not my kind of song. 3/5

Overall i think she did deliver, The album has variety yet, it still sounds very Ayu. Definitelly beats the last two for me. It's quite a solid bunch. I am actually surprised that i could say my favourite on this is the "You are the only one". Ballads never make it for me to the top. But this one makes me tear up. Mostly her vocals in the chorus, it's just...ugh.... The second runner up would definitely be FLOWER. I'm so happy she brought back the actual guitars for this. I really missed that too. The album is a solid 4/5. I'm a little disappointed she dragged in yet another cover piece AGAIN into an album of her own, but i can forgive that. Now the only thing they need to nail is the PVs and the covers, cuz musicaly this has quality.. PLEASE, AYU, DO SOMETHING INTERESTING THIS TIME, DON'T GO EASY ON THE VISUALS. PLEASE!

Last edited by BlackSilence; 11th May 2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 04:28 PM
As if.. Initiate

tasky - 5/5 - Amazing intro for the album, love the Pagan Poetry sample, the oriental sound and the progression that turns into an EDM piece.

FLOWER - 5/5 - Loved this song so much, the japanese style that she sings during the chorus. The song gets dark and rock-ish, just perfect!

Mad World - 5/5 - Damn, this song works so well right after FLOWER, love the instrumentals, her vocals, guitars, everething on point.

Breakdown - 5/5 - Song gave me sixxxxxx vibes, and that's great, it's so powerful, the guitars at the end, and how the song ends with a feeling that makes you want more of it is priceless.

Survivor - 5/5 - PURE LOVE. So amazed by this track, it's bold, cirque du solei-esque, it deserves a PV. I can't wait for the performance at the new tour.

You are the only one - 5/5 - What a beautiful song, starts so relaxing and fresh, towards the end it gets so grand and epic, and those are some stunning vocals from ayu.

TODAY - 3.5/5 - Good song, generic jpop, but it works fine, and it's growing on me.

Mr.Darling - 4/5 - Also a grower, just a little repetitive, but I really like the melody and the instrumental, need to listen more!

Summer Love - 2.5/5 - I have to say that I disliked the song on the first listen -and I LOVE all of ayu's EDM songs - but it gets better after a few more plays, I hope it grows ever more on me too.

Overall it's a great album, very solid. It's her most expressive album since Party Queen IMO. It's really good to see ayumi trying new things, exploring new sounds. I wish it had more songs, but I'm happy with Many classic moments as bonus track, it works well with Summer Love.

Last edited by Ruan Borges; 11th May 2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 04:41 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

tasky - Nice interlude. Can't go much wrong with traditional Japanese music for me. 5/5

FLOWER - Great song, seriously, powerful mix of rock and traditional Japanese, but she is screaming in the chorus. Don't like her vocals in the chorus much. Still 4/5

Mad World - Especially compared to FLOWER before, her vocals sound much stronger here. Though at the end there are also some parts that sound strained. Apart from that, it's another very powerful and emotional song. 4/5

Breakdown - Really like the melody in the chorus, which is mostly done with her voice. Nice vocals in this song. Don't like the guitar part here, kind of distorted. Not as good as its predecessors. 3/5

Survivor - Love the beginning - and then I actually had to laugh a little as well. The songs reminds me of stuff TRF would do actually. The chorus sounds quite trashy. But catchy. Screaming at the end again. 2,5/5

You are the only one - Something different for her ballas, like the ethereal feel and the bagpipes surprised me. Nice vocals overall. 4/5

TODAY - A pretty forgettable song. Can't even say much about it. 1/5

Mr. Darling - Such a strange title for a song. And quite repetetive, but I like its catchyness and the guitar. 2,5/5

Summer Love - A song similar to You & Me and Feel the love and therefor, I don't like it, lol. She once was so good with electronic music, but somehow she manages to sound dated (which doesn't have to be bad), although she uses modern EDM elements and Idk, I do find it strange and kind of flat. It's especially obvious as Many Classic Moments is coming right after and it is so much better than Summer Love. Also quite out of place on the album. 1/5

Overall 3/5
Pretty accurate how I feel about the album.
Surprising to find tribal and scottish influences on the album. Guess that's her way to show her ability to incorporate foreign traditional elements and to "make them Japanese", hence made in Japan.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 11th May 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 05:26 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Okay, this album is somehow like Party Queen to me. And I'm not sure if I like it.

FLOWER - Return Road
That one distinctive track that outshines everything else on the album.

Summer Love - Party Queen
That EDM song that is missing something but is still listenable and catchy.
A guilty pleasure. You like it, but don't want anyone else to know.

You are the only one - How beautiful you are
It's pretty much the same song that follows the same pattern.

Survivor - NaNaNa
It has parts you actually like and then there are those really cringy parts...

Breakdown - Tell me why
The melancholic song. A really good track you forget about.

Mad World - Reminds Me
The song you don't care about at first, but will become your favorite in 2 years.

TODAY, Mr.Darling - call, Letter
The devilish duo. Those Last Links, Out of control kind of songs AHS hates, because they're "generic", but they are actually good.

It's a good album and I enjoy it. It's probably better than Party Queen because it is missing the tragic "The next LOVE/ Eyes, Smoke, Magic" section.

TUMBLR ϟ LAST.FM ϟ FACEBOOK

Last edited by SEOHYUN; 11th May 2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 05:53 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

tasky - 5/5 Best interlude EVER

FLOWER - 6/5 o_O *dies*

Mad World - 6/5 o_O *dies again*

Breakdown - 4/5 Nice song, love it!!

Survivor - 4/5 Fuck yeah e_e

You are the only one - 5/5 OMG... T-T

TODAY - 4/5 So sweet <3

Mr.Darling - 3.5/5 Not bad but... Yeah, not bad~

Summer Love - 3.5/5 Not bad~ It makes me wanna dance xD

Overall.. 4.5/5. GOOOOOD JOOOB GIIIIIRL

-Afraid of Tell All chorus-

Old 11th May 2016, 06:20 PM
Who... Initiate

tasky - 5/5
love the japanese sound and instruments

FLOWER - 4/5
Not much of a fan on how she sings the chorus, but I still enjoy the song and the traditional instruments used like in the intro.

Mad World - 5/5
Her vocals are so great in this one.
I can hear her emotions through her voice here.

Breakdown - 5/5
my favorite song on this album for sure.
I just adore how she sings the chorus I somehow tear up listening to it.

Survivor - 5/5
So fierce. And like most people I as well get Inspire vibes from it.

You are the only one - 4/5
Beautiful song. Love it's peaceful feel.

TODAY - 2/5
My least favorite song on the album. There is not much about it that really gets me.

Mr.Darling - 5/5
I love the guitar in the song. Also the chorus is quite catchy.

Summer Love - 4/5
It's a nice and catchy song that does make you want to dance
(but I still prefer songs like Feel the love or You & Me more)

Overall a very nice album
Old 11th May 2016, 06:25 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post

Mad World - Love Love LOVE this. The way she is singing this and vocals have such a plea to it. You can almost hear the desperation in her voice trying to get her message across. Definitely my favourite track on the album.
I used the same words actually. Even the guitar solo sounds like a cry; like her heart opened up and that warbled riff escaped from it. And her voice is clearly pleading after losing all strength to move forward during the stripped down refrain after the chorus. Also, there is this nice little sound effect at like 17 seconds in, that repeats every now and then in the song. Its a nice single touch that tells me they put effort into layering things. It reminds me of like morse code or something.

Last edited by Zeke.; 11th May 2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:34 PM
Dolls Initiate

#teambreakdown (vs Mad World)

Old 11th May 2016, 06:36 PM
Dolls Initiate

I hope the PV is for Survivor, i dont care about the rest.

Last time I felt this way it was BRILLANTE times. This is so good I can't stop.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:37 PM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I used the same words actually. Even the guitar solo sounds like a cry; like her heart opened up and that warbled riff escaped from it. And her voice is clearly pleading after losing all strength to move forward during the stripped down refrain after the chorus. Also, there is this nice little sound effect at like 17 seconds in, that repeats every now and then in the song. Its a nice single touch that tells me they put effort into layering things. It reminds me of like morse code or something.
I know exactly what you're talking about and I agree. It's the little things that brings a song to another level. Mad World is, in my opinion, the standout track of the album and definitely one of my favourites in terms of her recent work.
Old 11th May 2016, 06:42 PM
Dolls Initiate

After listening on the full volume in my house I could tell Breakdown give me "I am..." album vibes. The arragment is so "hippie" Ayu, such as her voice in "FLOWER". Her voice is a little weaker in "Breakdown" but definitely my favorite after FLOWER and Survivor. Mad World is good, but forgetable, Breakdown have such a feminine, soft chorus. I like this combo with the vibratto and strong ending.

Starting to love "You are the only one" more. Such a unique song, isnt it?
Old 11th May 2016, 07:05 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

tasky - It stands out as an intro. Therefore, I am frankly positive about this song. However, it does not do as much as to me as it does to the majority of AHS. 3.5/5

FLOWER - Is everything I ever wanted from Ayu. It is such a gem! There is nothing in here entire discography I could compare with this. It is the best song of this album. 5/5

Mad World - I feel bad for not remembering how the song sounds like, but I enjoy it when I am actually listening to the song. 4/5

Breakdown - This song sounds like she did not figure out the Shape of Love and broke down into despair. The last seconds of the song are really good, musically wise. Therefore it deserves 4/5

Survivor - I did not know if Ayu could have been more diverse, but I really enjoyed the tribal theme in the arrangement. It reminded me of a song from the internship I worked in, which was an South-African musical about Nelson Mandela, which was also about survival. It has so much resemblances. Anyway, I hope it gets a PV and I don't even mind if she is stranded on a faraway beach like Destiny's Child. 4.5/5

You are the only one - It's boring, but it has an arrangement that is so gorgeous I can't stay mad about it. 3.5/5

TODAY - The least innovative song on the album, but still enjoyable in my opinion. Not a hit, but it is nice. 3/5

Mr.Darling - So this song is supposed to be cutesy, and I hear the high-pitch in her voice too. I am not deaf. But it is certainly not bad, I kinda like. 3/5

Summer Love - It took a long time for You & Me and Feel the Love to grow on me (and so will Summer Love) It might be the good weather, but I enjoyed listening to it. The energy is really nice. 3/5

Overall opinion: I really enjoyed the album, I think she made bold decisions in arrangements and I really root for that. The album sounds so diverse and ambitious, I love it. This is a great quality album.

Last edited by xLuna&1LOVE; 11th May 2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:19 PM
Two of us Initiate

tasky - 5/5 Amazing! I don't mind if it was longer.

FLOWER - 5/5 Great song. Start with slow Japanese style then change to powerful Ayu rockish style.

Mad World - 4/5 I quite like it but I don't love it. I quite like the melody but I think it just like Ayu other ballad rock songs.

Breakdown - 3.5/5 Really give me old Ayu vibe. Hope it will grow on me.

Survivor - 5/5 What a unique song. This song is everything in this album. Ayu has to make PV for this song. I LOVE this song so much.

You are the only one - 3.5/5 Very interesting at the beginning then change to pretty okay song.

TODAY - 3.5/5 Another okay song. I can imagine seeing Ayu sing this song as last song of the tour.

Mr.Darling - 3/5 Guitar? I love guitar a lot but I think it's quite off with the MADE IN JAPAN concept. She better use shamisen instead.

Summer Love - 3/5 NOOOOO Another out of concept track. I hope Ayu realize that EDM is not for her. However it's not a bad song. Just not suit for this album.

Overall: tasky, FLOWER and Survivor are everything. Maybe I just expect too much from "MADE IN JAPAN" theme. Kuu "JAPONESQUE" is way better.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:25 PM
End of the World Initiate

Ok, I've listened to the album 5 or 6 times now and I think I can give an opinion.

I really like Flower, the way she sings the whole song is just so good. Her voice becomes part of the song, it gives it more texture too. So so good. Love Song was like that - if it was sung differently it wouldn't work as well. It feels very new for Ayu, but it just feels so Ayu too. I love it. I really would love it if she sung differently to suit songs more often - not all the time, just when it would really suit the song. It totally makes the song here.

Mad World is THE standout song on the album. It's everything Ayu does best executed perfectly, in some ways it's understated but the emotional punch is right there. I think that's when she works best, when her emotion in her vocals and the music come through perfectly together. The instrumental that comes in reminds me of Endless Sorrow - I don't mean that as much in a musical way, but in the way it makes you feel - and I genuinely thought she would NEVER have another song that felt like Endless Sorrow. When you listen to it and you feel the emotions all through you - that is what makes me love Ayu. I agree with the people saying it really feels like a plea. Ugh, just so good!! Other people have praised this song far more articulately than me.

The first time I listened to Breakdown I just thought, 'ah, so this is what Love Again could have sounded like'. After listening a few times that still stands, but it really does have that much more of a punch too it in the chorus. I was thinking too, what makes this so much better than something like Shape of love? It really does feel like everything has been given much more purpose on MIJ - the ending of Breakdown, the way her singing sounds so much more engaged with the songs instead of just feeling like a vocal on top. (That's something that bugged me for a few albums, but it definitely got better with A One, and is back to old Ayu here).

It really don't like the chorus to Survivor, but I do like the verses. So I'm a bit conflicted, maybe whenever we get to see it live it'll be better. I guess from here on I do get a lot less... excited about the album too. I love how You are the only one starts, it's so beautiful but it's not really carried through the song, I like the end more where it reappears... what a disappointment! Overall, it's not a skip but it does get a little cheesy in places for me.

TODAY grows on me with each listen and surprises me, but I can't sing the melody, and I don't really have anything special to say about it? It's just there, and nice. The album is short, so it gets away with it. I prefer Mr Darling, it was such a relief when it started playing because I know I'm not the only one who saw that title and thought the worst lol I feel like this style just really suits her now, and the way she sings now. I don't think it'll be making my favourites anytime soon, but it works to wrap up the main 'meat' of the album. Much like TODAY, I just like listening to it but don't feel much towards it like I do with the first 3 songs.

Summer Love is leftover from Sixxxxxx right? It feels so out of place. It's catchy, better than Feel the Love/You & Me etc... I bet this gets the PV though. It's nice that we got Many Classic Moments too, it's always sounded like it could be an Ayu s ong anyway. I like her cover - it IS Ayu singing Many Classic Moments!! - but I prefer the original.

That was longer than I expected oops, but I have a lot of Ayu feelings....
Old 11th May 2016, 07:39 PM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post
Summer Love - Delete.
really? I really prefer this song over Mr Darling and TODAY. Its best from summer-trancy trio. (You&Me, Feel the love and now this)

And this is something, I really hate those 2 songs XD
Old 11th May 2016, 07:54 PM
As if.. Initiate

^ well I'm generally not into Jpop dance songs anymore lol Songs like this and the ones you mentioned aren't really what I'm into as far as dance songs go. To put in bluntly, if it doesn't make me want to grab some guy and grind on him, it's not for me
Old 11th May 2016, 08:40 PM
walking proud Initiate

tasky- 5/5 Best Intro since Rock n' Roll Circus. Nuff said.

Flower- 5/5 Rock Ayu is usually my favorite and this album is so heavily rock influenced until basically the last 2 songs on it. I think this is the most METAL Ayu has gone and I love it. I also love the incorporation of the traditional Japanese instruments as well.

Mad World- 5/5 This song started as a 4 for me, but after a few listens it has risen to 5. I like the Enka like inflections she puts into her voice on both this and Flower. Her voice actually suits that style quite well (first bits and pieces of it were heard in Love Song) and with the theme of the album it works great. Fantastic melody. My favorite song on the album.

Breakdown- 4/5 The album dips a bit here, but still a solid song. I especially like the instrumental breakdown towards the end.

Survivor - 3.5/5 This is where my opinion really seems to diverge from AHS. So far this is IMO the weakest track on the album. I like the song overall, but the chanting parts sound really amateur imo. It effects the overall quality of the song for me. I like that it is trying different things though. Maybe it will grow on me?

You are the only one - 4.5/5 Another one that I think will probably grow on me and eventually become a 5. I love the softness and falsetto in her voice on this one (a quality that has been missing from a lot of her stuff for years now.) Again, I like the experimenting with other instruments here.

Today - 4.5/5 Underrated thus far. I'm surprised to see all the so-so/low scores for this. Its got a great melody and feel throughout the whole song. Next to Mad World and Flower in fact, I think I've played this the most. GREAT song.

Mr. Darling - 4.5/5 Another song that feels underrated here thus far. I see the comparisons to Call and Letter. I loved both those songs and I actually think this one tops them. Love the guitar solo! Can't wait to see Yoshie doing this live.

Summer Love - 4/5 A bit disappointing, because the build up and verses are soooo good. The chorus fell flat for me on first listen, but on subsequent ones I'm liking it more and more. Could have been a 5/5 if it had a stronger chorus.

Many Classic Moments - 4/5 I hadn't listened to this yet, only saw the CDL live version. I like the song a lot and it works well as a closer for the album. Not spectacular but still really good.

Overall, this is easily my favorite album since probably Love Songs. Party Queen was really disappointing to me and only grew on me several years later, Love Again I feel is the worst album in her discography (Yes, that's including Song For Xx. Only stand out songs are Wake Up and Sakura), Colours I thought was a great step up but still had a few skippable tracks for me and A-One and Sixxxx are still both growing on me lol.

I guess looking at the style of tracks on this album though, I shouldn't be surprised. My favorite two styles on Ayu are Rock and EDM/Dance tracks - so yeah, this is basically perfect for me. I also like her vocals on this album. Instead of trying to fight against her change in vocal ability, she is embracing different ways of using her voice.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 11th May 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 08:50 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think Survivor is overall a love or hate it track. She always tends to have one of them on an album.
Old 11th May 2016, 08:55 PM
GAME Initiate

I'm really enjoying Survivor. Anybody notice the "dueling" guitars in the instrumental break? This is a well-layered track, too. Loving the monkey/safari-esque sounds throughout.

Tags
made in japan