Meaningful Songs - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Asian Music Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think that a meaningfu lyrics has a big role in a song?
Depends on the songs. But if it's a ballad, then I want a good story behind it. 48 37.21%
Nope. Lyrics can go from cheesy to happy to teary for me, as long as the music is good. 37 28.68%
Yes. A song without meaningful lyrics seems to be tasteless to me. 33 25.58%
Other (please elaborate in your post) 11 8.53%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th April 2007, 11:50 PM
A Song for XX Initiate

Of course lyrics matters!! but music does a lot too
Old 8th July 2007, 07:54 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Yes. A song without meaningful lyrics seems to be tasteless to me.

Strangely, these days I just like things that are easy
generasia
MusicShop Gallery
Utada Hikaru Discography OLIVIA Discography
Base Ball Bear Discographymoumoon DiscographyJUJU Discography

Old 8th July 2007, 11:45 PM
ever free Initiate

For me it really depends. If I'm listening to Japanese music, I care about the lyrics, but not as much as I would care about the lyrics in an English song xD It's not like I can understand Japanese anyway I love a lot of songs with meaningless lyrics (WoWa, anyone?) but if a j-pop song has great music AND great lyrics, then I'll love it even more ^-^

So yeah, in the end, I'd prefer to listen to a song with meaningful lyrics, but they're not necessary for me xD

Old 23rd April 2008, 02:07 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Depends.. Depends...

Old 25th April 2008, 12:47 AM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

i care mostly for the music, that's why i like jolin, i like the music..but the lyrics are blah to me, ayu is a special exception, i know she's so talented so i have higher expectations in her songs~
Old 17th May 2008, 01:38 PM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

I like mingful songs

I hear a voice saying "don't give up"
I remember the words
"Your happiness is my happiness"
Old 17th May 2008, 02:01 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I dunno I guess it depends, I love songs that have a good meaning to them,but if it doesnt have a good beat to it, it doesnt matter how meaniful the lyrics are, but I hate song that are about stupid thing like drugs and what not, that is why I dont listen to a lot of american music epescially rap ew... The beat is good and what not the their meanings are dumb
Old 17th May 2008, 05:26 PM
walking proud Initiate

I put the first option even though I don't feel like going into details. But sometimes hearing the translation of the lyrics or (if it's in english) just listening to it then it might change my mind on what I think of the song. I love meaningful lyrics (that's what caught my interest when I discovered Rurutia) but I'll listen to songs that are about completely normal things too.
Old 19th May 2008, 04:25 PM
BRILLANTE Initiate

for me depend on the song.. i dont care about the lyric because usually i prefer dunno know the meaning
Old 21st May 2008, 08:58 PM
Dolls Initiate

i just need a good beat.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:46 PM
ourselves Initiate

I like the explanation from "Music & Lyrics": A melody is like the sexual attraction, it what gets your attention. The lyrics are whats inside, you see it for what it is.
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:21 AM
Initiate

A song without good lyrics is like a person without a soul.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 1st June 2008, 01:23 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Well I actually believe that the lyrics in the song should "go with the flow". They don't have to be meaningful, sad or whatever. If the lyrics match with the genre of the song and if the music is good: then I think the Artist/ Band have a hit in their hands

Last.fm

Old 2nd June 2008, 09:07 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

I don't really care for the lyrics, because to be honest, I rarely read lyrics translations. I don't care if the lyrics are meaningful or super cheesy. As long as the music is good, I'm good with it. Of course beautiful lyrics is a plus. But there's tons of wonderful music that doesn't have Ayu-ish lyrics.

Girls' Generation is .

Last edited by elepop; 2nd June 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:10 PM
still alone Initiate

Of course it does!
Old 4th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Naturally Initiate

Depends on the songs. But if it's a ballad, then I want a good story behind it.

The thing is... ah, I wonder where to start XD
I listen to japanese music, so there are many many many songs I really like & listen too that I don't understand the lyrics, I haven't looked up the translation for every single song in my iTunes. I am capable of liking songs that have no meaning, especially if, as the first option says it, it's not a style of music where the lyrics play a big part.

BUT. The songs I truly love and adore and am addicted to and can't live without and influence me to no end - are, of course the ones with great meaning/lyrics I can relate to. It's just like interludes, you know? You never like inteludes better than full songs, do you? (unless it's a song you seriously loath and can't stand listening) Even if I think The Judgement Day is musically better than GUILTY and untitled ~for her~, I'll obviously listen to the latter two many more times, and they'll be much more memorable. Simply because there's a limit to how much you can love a short instrumental track.

Full song with vocals prevails over a short song without vocals;
Song with good lyrics and deep meaning prevails over a song with no meaning.

If I love a song's lyrics, I'll love the song even if the I dislike the music, as much as it may hurt my ears (like with Ayu's NEVER EVER - the song is so noisy! but great lyrics...). And even if some other song is a lot better musically, I'll still like that song with music I dislike better, simply because it has meaning, it makes me think, it makes me feel. It's a much more personal experience to listen to that sort of song... still, a meaningless song is not completely worthless, so I could not bring myself to vote for the 3rd option ^^

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to say: there are cases though, where the lyrics are SO horrendous that I can not stand to listen to the song, not in a million years. Like, american rap or something. That's the sort of thing that makes me depressed. And angry. Seriously, some songs just make me want to bite a pillow with all my strength or something like that.

チャレンジは馬鹿げたこと リスク 回避するように
愚かな計算して何を守るの?

my graphics shop >> here! <<
last.fm | facebook | twitter

Last edited by apple-pi; 4th June 2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 4th June 2008, 04:10 AM
no more words Initiate

A Gd ballad
Old 4th June 2008, 04:13 AM
Initiate

hmmm...i focus more on the music though...if the melody is bad, i wont really listen to the song even if the lyrics is good
Old 4th June 2008, 04:48 AM
The Judgement Day Guardian

People who love japanese songs and don't know/understand japanese but say lyrics is the most important are seriously being very dishonest in their opinions. Sorry, but if you can't understand crap about japanese, are you going to tell me that you started liking ayu and you actually love every new song of her mainly because of the lyrics? i don't think that's really very real, I dunno. Are you going to say you can only enjoy an ayumi song after masa has posted a translation? Hard to believe....What about all the other japanese songs that you can hardly find a translation elsewhere?

To me a lyric CAN boost a song for the better, but I always care much more for the melody, the arrangements, the vocals, the sound emotion, the composition..this is the reason I like japanese music, I don't understasnd crap of what's being said, but I enjoy the instruments and the vocals emotions. Lyrics usually come later and often just help boost or not my opinion on a song. And seriously, that only happens to me in the case of songs in english or portuguese. Japanese songs lyrics never make me like them more or less, because I can't memorize a lyric and feel something that I seriously don't understand. In rare songs in english/portuguese I actually get to enjoy the lyrics first and then the rest, but that's seriously an exception.

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪

Old 17th July 2008, 01:14 PM
Sky high Protector

I think that a good song is a song with great music and meaningful lyrics^^