BRILLIANTE thoughts/opinions - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 11th September 2011, 04:35 PM
I am... Initiate

As I said, I don't think it's a song telling her fans to completely back off, that she doesn't want to have contact to us anymore, but that we should stop expecting her to do just what we want and give her some space, that she is her own person. I believe she still loves meeting her fans and seeing her fans enjoying her music, but there have been MANY cases of fans being really rude because of things they didn't like especially since she uses twitter. And Ayumi just isn't a person that likes being told what to do at all.
Just imagine trying to have contact to your fans and then whenever you do something, even if you think you did something to make your fans happy, you get mean messages. That's the situation Ayumi is in every day.
And I don't think a-nation having happened after her writing that song is a valid argument because that was really just a peak. More extreme than usual but stuff like that happened to her before, too, she just usually ignored it. Just look at the tweets send to Ayumi. When she releases something new there are many positive ones but there are many negative ones, too. And very rarely are they phrased in a respectful manner.

And it's not the first time Ayumi has done stuff about her fans that is negative. alterna and ourselves had insane fans in the videos for example and most songs commonly believed to be against avex can be interpreted to be about the whole business and/or her fans as well. As jbrat2219 says, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her fans. It means that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and that she is not a machine made to fulfill all our musical desires.
Old 11th September 2011, 07:26 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisLOL? View Post
Where did you get that Memorial Address was about her grandmother? It seems weird to write a song like that - an angry song even, considering she loved her grandmother and grew up with her around - 5 or so years after her death. And the way she so emotionally performed it with teddy bear the first time she sang it just made them being about the same person very clear to me. It was just those two songs blending together almost like one with no show involved and Ayumi doesn't do things that make no sense lyrically - at least not when it involves songs that are obviously meaningful to her.
And I don't think It Was was about her father, I see no indication for that, when she is writing about her father it's a mix of sadness and anger but in It Was there is no anger. There is just a feeling of sadness following the end of a relationship. It's so vague it could be about any type of relationship(romantic, friendly, family...) and seeing how it's a left-over from (miss)understood(or at least I remember something like that from an interview about Secret, so don't hold me to that) I doubt it was very important to her.

And Ayu's fans haven't been like that only around a-nation, that's just when everything peaked and Ayumi showed how pissed she was, she may or may not have worked on FIVE with that in mind, but I am convinced that FIVE is Ayumi's way of saying that she doesn't try to please her fans anymore. Because quite frankly she took just about everything(especially international) fans want and did the opposite on it and to promote it and then even ended it with such a track - and with goodbye in a variety of languages.

The way I see it almost every Ayumi album is arranged so the songs fit lyrically and tell a story first and foremost(how they fit musically comes afterwards, which is why there are some seemingly random transitions on albums like NEXT LEVEL, but they make lots of sense reading the lyrics) and looking at all of FIVE in order it tells a story of having been through alot with your fans, loving your fans(at least beloved is pretty much confirmed to be about fans I think) but needing distance from your fans at the same time. And having to be yourself rather than doing what they want because there is no pleasing them.
I can't find links with proof ATM, but I will look for them. But Ayu said frankly that she wrote the lyrics for "Memorial Address" after the passing of her grandmother. "Memorial Address" is about death and passing, Ayu doesn't know for sure if her father is alive or dead, so in all the songs about her father, it is left open ended, almost hopeful, in case they should meet again. "Monochrome" and "End Roll" are both open ended, without even addressing where the lost person has gone. In "Memorial Address" it is made clear that they will never meet again, and that the person in dedication has gone to a place where she cannot, implying death.

I want to be totally clear, I totally agree with your assessment that "Brillante" is about her fans. The only reason I didn't see that way is because the line about two becoming one, becoming two again through me off because I was seeing it as though being a single entity was the problem, IE it meant she was alone. My boyfriend explained that it also means that two entities became one, much to the same point as "Part of Me".

With that said, however, just because two songs are sung together in sequence at a concert doesn't make them related. I heard a rumor that "Memorial Address" was "Teddy Bear" 2.0, but I never heard Ayu say this, nor did I ever read a credible article that stated she did. She sang "countdown" and "Memorial Address" in her Rock 'n Rock Circus tour nearly the same way as she sung "Teddy Bear" and "Memorial Address" back in her Arena Tour '04. We can agree to disagree about "It Was", but until I see her say otherwise, my impression is was written with her father in mind because it's that same pessimism, reluctant hope, and open ended uncertainty that plagues all the songs we can both agree were written for her father. I still don't understand the idea that the topic of her father is some how now taboo after Memorial Address mini album.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:13 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
As I said, I don't think it's a song telling her fans to completely back off, that she doesn't want to have contact to us anymore, but that we should stop expecting her to do just what we want and give her some space, that she is her own person. I believe she still loves meeting her fans and seeing her fans enjoying her music, but there have been MANY cases of fans being really rude because of things they didn't like especially since she uses twitter. And Ayumi just isn't a person that likes being told what to do at all.
Just imagine trying to have contact to your fans and then whenever you do something, even if you think you did something to make your fans happy, you get mean messages. That's the situation Ayumi is in every day.
And I don't think a-nation having happened after her writing that song is a valid argument because that was really just a peak. More extreme than usual but stuff like that happened to her before, too, she just usually ignored it. Just look at the tweets send to Ayumi. When she releases something new there are many positive ones but there are many negative ones, too. And very rarely are they phrased in a respectful manner.

And it's not the first time Ayumi has done stuff about her fans that is negative. alterna and ourselves had insane fans in the videos for example and most songs commonly believed to be against avex can be interpreted to be about the whole business and/or her fans as well. As jbrat2219 says, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her fans. It means that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and that she is not a machine made to fulfill all our musical desires.
FIVE is IMO pretty much all about this... meeting someone who feels the same as you, the feelings starting to be different after some time, the two parts trying to reach each other again, and the realization that this is not possible anymore...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 16th September 2011, 11:53 AM
Replace Initiate

Memorial adress was about her father, as much as teddy bear
I rememeber the interview about it back in the times
Old 16th September 2011, 11:12 PM
ayu trance Initiate

After reading isthisLOL? and Nessa's theories here I would be happy if ayu confirmed any. Or maybe a totally new one. It's just because both make sense to me, especially the fans' one. (Even though I totally didn't think of fans when I first read the lyircs and saw the PV.)
Since she started twitter, she probably got so much critic from people who don't even think about how to phrase it in a way that isn't totally attacking and inpolite. No matter what she does.
Also, I see fans writing "I miss you" and "Don't you forget about us!" more than once a day, which would annoy me so much. How can you even miss a person that is present so much? And how can you even really miss a person badly that you don't know personally or never met? How can you even complain if she takes time to go to twitter almost everyday just to talk to fans I can't understand this. And I wouldn't be surprised if she stopped twitter all the way.
But this would be really sad because it's a great way to tell her important things.

To return back to topic:
the song itself is brilliant and conveys so much emotion, I really didn't expect such a song. Especially not on a mini album that was made so short after her last full-length one. Timmy really did a good job with this, the song is so unique.
It would be kind of sad if this was about her fans but I could understand. No matter which relationship of ayus it's about especially, it's a great songs for us listeners to emphasize with the feeling of end and goodbye.

"You don't need to think, you just need to feel..."
~POWER of MUSIC~
23.07.2011 & 24.07.2011

Last edited by Luja.; 21st September 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 17th September 2011, 01:49 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
I can't find links with proof ATM, but I will look for them. But Ayu said frankly that she wrote the lyrics for "Memorial Address" after the passing of her grandmother.
The thing about Ayu's grandmother IIRC was when she was in the hospital and Ayu was recording poker face. After the recording session Ayu got a call saying that she had passed away. This was in the "Light and Shadow" interview that SuperTV did in 2004. You might be mixing it up with some other theories...?

Also, Ayu hadn't even conceived of Memorial address until she heard the original song. (Kumo / Spider by LOVER SOUND TRACK composed by Tetsuya Yukumi)

From the beatfreak for Memorial address:
Quote:
08 "Memorial address"
Music: Tetsuya Yukumi / Arrangement: tasuku
This is the title track, but also the bonus track, and the only one of the 8 tracks that was recorded in a band session. Originally I was going to record this song by myself in the studio, but during recording, there wasn't just me, the band and chorus were all around me. When I heard them playing I just wanted to sing, I think. Yo-chan's guitar, Enrique's bass, Shingo's piano. It calmed me down, the sound of all these people who've supported me. I think I really needed it. "Memorial address." In my mind, it's very special, and when I made it, it became important to me in the same way "teddy bear" (from "Duty") is.
Old 18th September 2011, 07:13 PM
Replace Initiate

so in the interview for WWD Ayu & Leslie confirmed that BRILLANTE PV was thanks to Cleopatra's movie with Elizabeth Taylor
Old 18th September 2011, 07:32 PM
No way to say Initiate

Sometimes I think Ayu fans look too deeply into things where there is no meaning, like some people were trying to find meaning in the Sunrise/Sunset PVs...LOL.
Old 18th September 2011, 11:10 PM
ayu trance Initiate

^ I think it depends. For example, I would have never been able to see the deep meanings some of her album titles have (according to her). So sometimes a title is a title and PV storyline might be just what we see, or sometimes more.

~POWER of MUSIC~
23.07.2011 & 24.07.2011

Old 20th September 2011, 05:02 PM
poker face Initiate

Wait.... what happened at a-nation?

Tumblr * Twitter

Old 22nd September 2011, 11:01 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Brilliant? lol - so witty.
Old 23rd September 2011, 03:15 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Looking at BRILLANTE again now (song & PV), I think maybe we took the fans' role too serious I mean, I still think isthisLOL?s interpretaion would make sense, but right now I just can't see our role as that important to write such a song about it.

~POWER of MUSIC~
23.07.2011 & 24.07.2011

Old 20th November 2011, 01:56 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJason View Post
That's not really accurate; I became addicted to ayu's music after I heard all of her uplifting and happy pop and encouraging rock songs, and that is what I want from her. BRILLANTE doesn't contain any of that, instead ayu gives me something I am not familiar with. (speaking for myself of course)
Well I wasn't so much talking about the mood of the song as I was talking about certain qualities of the song that people have been asking for, something reminiscent of Ayu's old songs yet still rather new. I feel like Ayu miss those marks in ANother song and Why... but nailed it with BRILLANTE. Yeah, people aren't going to fancy it if they don't like Ayu's darker music but to outright hate it and call it awful is what baffles me. Like I said, people may not see BRILLANTE the way I do, several people said they find it boring. But what I'm asking is what is it that would satisfy you if you feel BRILLANTE dropped the ball?

A lot of people often say that when Ayu mentions "going back to basics" they automatically assume the album will be MY STORY-esque, which is why some people were disappointed with RnRC. So is THAT the classic Ayu everyone really wants? Is that the blueprint fans want Ayu to follow with her upcoming releases? Is that the essence of classic Ayu that BRILLANTE fails to capture? I don't know... I'm avoiding homework with these discussion topics lmao xD;
Old 20th November 2011, 02:34 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
Well I wasn't so much talking about the mood of the song as I was talking about certain qualities of the song that people have been asking for, something reminiscent of Ayu's old songs yet still rather new. I feel like Ayu miss those marks in ANother song and Why... but nailed it with BRILLANTE. Yeah, people aren't going to fancy it if they don't like Ayu's darker music but to outright hate it and call it awful is what baffles me. Like I said, people may not see BRILLANTE the way I do, several people said they find it boring. But what I'm asking is what is it that would satisfy you if you feel BRILLANTE dropped the ball?

A lot of people often say that when Ayu mentions "going back to basics" they automatically assume the album will be MY STORY-esque, which is why some people were disappointed with RnRC. So is THAT the classic Ayu everyone really wants? Is that the blueprint fans want Ayu to follow with her upcoming releases? Is that the essence of classic Ayu that BRILLANTE fails to capture? I don't know... I'm avoiding homework with these discussion topics lmao xD;
I do not understand it either why people would say that they HATE an song. That's just too much.

And I do understand that BRILLANTE is favored by a lot of people who wanted creativity. I do not understand where that crowd came from. Especially because most people were excited for the full version of progress when FIVE was announced. When it got released it was like progress didn't existed anymore lol. That's what I find weird.

You guys heard this about 100 times but "I do not think BRILLANTE is 100% ayu's style" < I do not have any right of saying this, because this goes further than just an opinion, but I honestly feel like that.

However, BRILLANTE like I said just doesn't do it for me. The theme and concept is rather unappealing to me. I never liked the Egyptian 'influences' so that's for the PV's sake. As far as the lyrics go; I don't like them.

Spoiler:
I decided that this is my last time to write
Thinking of you
I don't tell you the reason
This is the biggest present from me

A human is much stronger
Than I thought, isn't he?
I've stayed in the darkness a little longer
But it's time to go

I coundn't see anything
After that, I saw everything
The road ahead is too narrow
And I have no choice but to walk alone

When the pain becomes
Far beyond the reach of imagination

There is no more energy left
To be able to cry or shout
A human is entirely
Caught in nothingness, isn't he?

What had been two
Became one, and became two
It's no more than that
We've just come full circle, haven't we?

I couldn't see anything
And I can no more walk on, side by side with you

The lyrics are so tragic yet motivational in a way and they confuse me. Maybe that is because of the difficult Japanese to English translation, but they do not make sense to me.

The arrangement is not bad, but I don't like it. Maybe the arrangement makes the whole song so dramatic or tragic sounding.

I surely don't hate it, I dislike it!

lol homework, don't get me started

Last edited by RayJason; 20th November 2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:38 AM
I am... Initiate

The lyrics seem to pretty obviously be the thoughts of a person at the end of a relationship to me. I don't see how they could be confusing.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:43 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
Spoiler:
I decided that this is my last time to write
Thinking of you
I don't tell you the reason
This is the biggest present from me

A human is much stronger
I've stayed in the darkness a little longer
But it's time to go

I coundn't see anything
And I have no choice but to walk alone

When the pain becomes
Far beyond the reach of imagination

There is no more energy left
To be able to cry or shout
A human is entirely

What had been two
Became one, and became two
It's no more than that
We've just come full circle, haven't we?

I couldn't see anything
And I can no more walk on, side by side with you

The lyrics are so tragic yet motivational in a way and they confuse me. Maybe that is because of the difficult Japanese to English translation, but they do not make sense to me.
In my opinion, Japanese lyrics are a lot more understandable if you know the language. No offense to the translators, they do a great service for the Ayu fan community, but I prefer to read and interpret Ayu's lyrics as they are. That could be what is leading to some confusion for you. But the translation for BRILLANTE seems a little straight forward.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:44 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
The lyrics seem to pretty obviously be the thoughts of a person at the end of a relationship to me. I don't see how they could be confusing.
A human is much stronger

A human is entirely

That is particularly what confuses me. The 'he'. I cannot really tell what's going on in those two lines because of the ending 'isn't he'. Maybe I'm not reading the 'message' or something but when I first saw this I was thinking why she directs a human as a 'he' and not also as 'she'.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:48 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
A human is much stronger

A human is entirely

That is particularly what confuses me. The 'he'. I cannot really tell what's going on in those two lines because of the ending 'isn't he'. Maybe I'm not reading the 'message' or something but when I first saw this I was thinking why she directs a human as a 'he' and not also as 'she'.
I think the "he" shows agreement. Not necessarily he or she. Like... "A human is entirely caught in nothingness, don't you think?"

Or other examples:

"The Yankees suck this year, don't they?"

"One doesn't drink expired milk, does he?"

Sorry for the lame examples... But do you get what I mean? xD;

Last edited by jbrat2219; 20th November 2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:52 AM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
A human is much stronger

A human is entirely

It's a typical English rhetoric device that was added to the translations. It's used to directly address the listener, involve him/her and make him/her think about the topic/question in hand. (I don't know if it or something similar existed in the Japanese lyrics, too, or was added for better understanding)
Old 20th November 2011, 02:57 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
It's a typical English rhetoric device that was added to the translations. It's used to directly address the listener, involve him/her and make him/her think about the topic/question in hand. (I don't know if it or something similar existed in the Japanese lyrics, too, or was added for better understanding)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
I think the "he" is a generalization for humans. Not necessarily he or she.
Spoiler:
Excuse me for my ignorance, English is not my first language

Until now I was confused . Thanks for clearing that one out. I never knew that in English you can direct humans as 'he'. Now you say it, I tried formulating an alternate way of putting "A human is entirely Caught in nothingness, isn't he" down put I cannot do it.

To be honest, I have played BRILLANTE again during I first replied to you and I noticed the ending of the song. I completely dislike it. If I had my headset or earphones in I would think that my battery died or something lol. I do not like that effect.

However the arrangement on second thought is kinda nice. It's soothing while it's also slightly giving the reverse effect of calming me down. I can see what you mean that it has something from ayu's older works and newer works.

The chanting is something that ruins it for me in the chorus, not so much in the finale, but in the chorus I do not like hearing it.

edit; @jbrat2219 Yes! It makes so much sense now, I'm pretty sure I got this in school (but already forgot it ). Those were perfect examples!

Last edited by RayJason; 20th November 2011 at 03:01 AM.

Tags
『five』, 浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, brillante