Deep cuts - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 12th July 2022, 09:55 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Deep cuts

For many of us, our favourite tracks may be songs that also released as singles. Perhaps they were chosen as single tracks because they were so exceptionally good, perhaps their relatively greater exposure made for familiarity made for love - I'm not here to debate that, however. I"m curious what some of your favourite 'deep cuts' are. Album tracks that didn't get a single release, that don't get talked about much; perhaps they are neglected on comps or live performances - I'll leave the reasoning to you. What are those underrated Ayu songs we all need to love a bit more?
Old 13th July 2022, 10:45 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I'll kick off and nominate Close to you. It seems a largely neglected track and I barely hear it mentioned in any discussion of favourite tracks, but it recently became one of my staples when I started revisiting RAINBOW and is now probably in my top three tracks of the album (and it has some SOLID competition).
Old 13th July 2022, 01:11 PM
BEST Initiate

SCAR is one of my favorites from Duty. We're lucky that she has at least performed it a few times in concerts. On the other hand, No More Words is a song I wish she would ever perform again (it's only been once if I recall correctly).
Old 13th July 2022, 01:17 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Great choices, no more words was another I was considering listing, SUCH a good song! It was used as the ending theme for the first InuYashu movie (I had to wiki this, I knew it was a theme but not to what) so I wonder if that gave a bit more profile than other deep cuts (it was also included on this ANIME & GAME SELECTION thing for that reason) but it is still criminally underrated!
Old 13th July 2022, 01:30 PM
too late Initiate

Some songs I like that didn't get much attention:
- P.S. II
- still alone
- ever free
- SCAR
- GUILTY
- rollin' (I know she included it in many medleys nowadays, but I think the song didn't get the love it deserved)
- November
- Party Queen as an album (it was criticized so much when released, but it's an incredible album, with a lot of innovative arrangements for her standards and some of her most sincere lyrics to date)
- Sweet scar
- Shape of love
- Breakdown
- W (deserved a PV)

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 13th July 2022, 01:47 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I've not revisited Party Queen in years and have been kind of dreading it, though I remember nothing of it musically. I should try it again. I remember one of my main issues with it was its theme and art direction, but I think I'm in a better place to give it an honest chance now.

Also, some great choices and personal favourites on your list: Still alone, ever free (!!!!!!), SCAR (as also mentioned by voltron) - amazing!
Old 13th July 2022, 04:20 PM
Dolls Initiate

til recently Ever free but she gave mindblowing performance during 20th anniversary and I was able to be there live so I forgive her the 20 years of neglecting it.

Same with Kanariya, boy I want it performed more.

For the rest Hanabi ~episode II~ my all time favourite, I wish she performed it more when her vocal was still good, those three live performances don't give it justice and I don't get why it's so disliked by fans. If I ever got a tattoo with Japanese lyrics it would be last verses of this song.

Sweet Season is an awesome song that had been performed once but with it's lyrics it's more relative now than ever "we've been together in every season" (I'm always tearing thinking about the lyrics)

WHY... I just love it
walk only performed once with not the best vocals, it need a better performance. I was there twice live during |CDL 14-15 both Dec 30th and 31st| so I have this going for me which is nice, her vocals were better Dec 30th

Songs I love that I would like to be performed or I wish were performed when Ayu's vocals were still decent, I'm scared it's too late now
girlish - that one early 2000 live didn't do justice, other one wasn't full song afair
Shape of love
Breakdown
Melody
meaning of love
Liar

Songs that haven't been that neglected but I wish were performed more:
Will
Part of me
(miss)understood with those epic choir from Music for Life
Heartplace
Old 13th July 2022, 04:59 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYia View Post
girlish - that one early 2000 live didn't do justice, other one wasn't full song afair
Omg YES.