Why do you think Guilty only got only number 2 on Oricon? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 7th January 2009, 04:37 PM
Two of us Initiate

Why do you think Guilty only got only number 2 on Oricon?

I don't think there is any thread like that, I have nothing found by search.
But if there are some dicussions about it, excuse me^^

So I was just thaught of something and then I remembered, that Ayu's latest album Guilty only got the position 2 at Oricon. So
Why do you think Guilty didn't sell very well and why did Guilty not peak at number 1?

I think it was a bad time to release it when EXILE released something ago and maybe there were too many singles released from this album?
What do you think?

EDIT: I have seen that I made a mistake in the thread's title xD But I don't know how to edit it^^

Last edited by nEwly; 7th January 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 7th January 2009, 04:58 PM
~ayu-cake~

If I remember rightly, it did enter it's first week at #1.

And too many singles?
There were only two. =S
Old 7th January 2009, 05:00 PM
count down Initiate

^ Well GUILTY's release date (that or the fact that it was purchasable before 01.01.08, can't remember) made its charting on Oricon consist of 2 combined weeks, due to Christmas/New Year.

Technically, in these 2 weeks, GUILTY got #1 in the first one, and dropped in the second week as it lost to Korukuriboh or however you spell their name. Thus, the combined sales, landed GUILTY on #2.

However, that doesn't really matter actually. GUILTY is still an awesome album! Song quality > sales/chart positions, IMO.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 7th January 2009, 05:22 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Maybe because it was bloody awful

Old 7th January 2009, 05:29 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEwly View Post
Why do you think Guilty didn't sell very well and why did Guilty not peak at number 1?
you have one of the two answers you are looking for in your own question :|

AHS:
"BWAAAAAH your siggy made me cry "

Me:

Old 7th January 2009, 10:54 PM
winding road Initiate

It's not that it didn't sell very well per se, it's that it didn't sell well enough in it's second week to get #1 >.>

Old 8th January 2009, 01:02 AM
Far away Initiate

Lol very easy. Because of a certain pop/folk duo known as "Kobukuro". If I remember correctly their album "5296" was released two weeks before (Dec 19?) but managed to outsell GUILTY by 20K something copies. These guys have recently gotten very crazy sales and their releases have some good runs on the charts, especially album. I can only imagine how much their next album will net...no doubt another #1. I think #2 is still pretty good for Ayu considering the competition she's against. It's pretty obvious she's no longer at her peak, but that doesn't mean it's the beginning of the end for her. In the end I think can only think of a few artists/groups that can put her out of #1. Kobukuro would probably be one in this day and age.
Old 8th January 2009, 03:29 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterballoon View Post
^ Well GUILTY's release date (that or the fact that it was purchasable before 01.01.08, can't remember) made its charting on Oricon consist of 2 combined weeks, due to Christmas/New Year.

Technically, in these 2 weeks, GUILTY got #1 in the first one, and dropped in the second week as it lost to Korukuriboh or however you spell their name. Thus, the combined sales, landed GUILTY on #2.

However, that doesn't really matter actually. GUILTY is still an awesome album! Song quality > sales/chart positions, IMO.
it's Kobukuro , Jun Xiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimex289 View Post
Lol very easy. Because of a certain pop/folk duo known as "Kobukuro". If I remember correctly their album "5296" was released two weeks before (Dec 19?) but managed to outsell GUILTY by 20K something copies. These guys have recently gotten very crazy sales and their releases have some good runs on the charts, especially album. I can only imagine how much their next album will net...no doubt another #1. I think #2 is still pretty good for Ayu considering the competition she's against. It's pretty obvious she's no longer at her peak, but that doesn't mean it's the beginning of the end for her. In the end I think can only think of a few artists/groups that can put her out of #1. Kobukuro would probably be one in this day and age.
Kobukuro in recent times has become very strong sellers . Their popularity shoot to the roof after the release of their breakthough single Koko ni Shika Sakanai Hana & also the beautiful Sakura and not to mention their 1st best compliation album ALL SINGLES BEST

Things just went though the roof after they put out the amazing Tsubomi which won the Grand Prix 2 years ago & it helps that Tsubomi was made available in the 5296 album which helped sales of the album to attain million status in due time .

having said that it's unfortunate that GUILTY was pitted against 5296 in that particular week as I guess nobody , not even avex expected the dymanic folk rock duo to have done something unattainable like this

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 8th January 2009, 06:12 AM
count down Initiate

^ Okay Kobukuro. Lol hard name to remember!

In any case, if ever again, that an Ayu release is on the same week/fighting against a boy band... I would never expect a #1 or anything. Boy bands literally RULE the J-Pop charts.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 8th January 2009, 06:39 AM
Far away Initiate

Kuriboh? ...that's a YuGiOh! card LOL.

Right on KarenPang! I actually listen to them. They are so awesome ^^. But yeah very well said. 5296 moved a monstrous amount of copies; apparently so much that, despite the fact that it was released a couple weeks before, was still able to outsell something which just debuted. Would avex really push the date of an album back just so it doesn't get knocked out of #1? A pretty petty reason...I don't think even Ayu would go that far just to get her #1's. Or is it more from a profit standpoint? Also, were there any new releases along with Ayu's GUILTY on New Year's Day or that week? Is it uncommon for artists to release on the first week of the year? I don't know much about these things. I guess if there were, we can look at it another way: Ayu held her own against any other new albums but just didn't get quite enough sales to outsell Kobukuro.

Also, I don't think it could have been foreseen at all considering the circumstances. Kobukuro only started seeing a lot of spotlight around 2005 with that breakthrough single you mentioned. The one before had very good success too in terms of the sales I think; nothing compared to Tsubomi though =). In other words, at that time they were seen as "big" but not as "established big" like B'z or Mr.Children (two other groups I can think of with the selling power and reputation to topple Ayu). It is only now I think they can fully be considered as "established big". There was already a two week gap between the two releases...three weeks was probably unthinkable to them; that they'd need that much of a gap. I don't even know if three weeks would have given her enough leeway for the #1 as I didn't follow the sales of these two closely at the time.

In the end, I think the ranking of an single/album does not reflect how good it is. We should not worry too much about Ayu not getting her #1's. I'm sure sometime in the very near future, it'll happen at least once or twice or even more. Many groups are slowly starting to catch up to her I think, whether it is due to her diminished selling power (I think it's safe to say she definitely is not selling like she used to and it's only natural) or other factors like another group's fame. It's only a matter of what day the releases fall on. If it falls on the same day/week as Misuchiru or B'z or a Johnny's group or a brand new act that saw overnight stardom and is all the rave, then it's quite possible it will fail to take the top spot. With the former, this is what makes the industry so unpredictable. Some things are easier to predict than others given the circumstances.
Old 8th January 2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterballoon View Post
^ Okay Kobukuro. Lol hard name to remember!
T_T , it's not difficult to remember how to spell Kobukuro . I guess it's only if you don't listen to their music

Quote:
Kuriboh? ...that's a YuGiOh! card LOL.

@ jimex289 - Kobukuro debuted/formed way back in '98 , they didn't start to see mainstream success until they put out Koko ni Shika Sakanai Hana . Things just hit though the roof after ALL SINGLES BEST + Tsubomi came into the pic , their popularity just exploded big time & their 2 time duet with label mate ayaka on the fantastic WINDING ROAD & most recently Anata to have helped each artiste's popularity too .

I guess it's because of the type of music & lyrical contents of their stuff which were really well received by the Japanese audience especially since nowadays the JPop market's quite saturated with JE boybands & what not's & for Kobukuro's case , their brand of folk rock music is kinda like a breath of fresh air .

Quote:
In the end, I think the ranking of an single/album does not reflect how good it is. We should not worry too much about Ayu not getting her #1's. I'm sure sometime in the very near future, it'll happen at least once or twice or even more. Many groups are slowly starting to catch up to her I think, whether it is due to her diminished selling power (I think it's safe to say she definitely is not selling like she used to and it's only natural) or other factors like another group's fame. It's only a matter of what day the releases fall on. If it falls on the same day/week as Misuchiru or B'z or a Johnny's group or a brand new act that saw overnight stardom and is all the rave, then it's quite possible it will fail to take the top spot. With the former, this is what makes the industry so unpredictable. Some things are easier to predict than others given the circumstances.
*nods* like what you said before , it's not the end of the world if Ayumi's 'invisible' / non-visible #1 streak been broken , be it albums or singles wise .

I support many other Jpop artistes & not all of them are as lucky as her , some of them are very under-rated & didn't even lodge a single #1 in their discography , be it singles/albums/dvds which's sad .

For ayumi to be able to still standing strong after 11 years , it's commendable . Not everyone is able to do that & enjoy the longevity power that she has

Oh before I forget , I should add that when GUILTY was released last year , everyone should be glad that she wasn't up against a JE band at all as your fate's pretty much known when that happens , be it on the singles/albums/dvd charts .

I know cos I support JE bands so yup & for Kobukuro to be able to kick her butt , it's like woah

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 8th January 2009, 07:06 AM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Oh before I forget , I should add that when GUILTY was released last year , everyone should be glad that she wasn't up against a JE band at all as your fate's pretty much known when that happens , be it on the singles/albums/dvd charts .

I know cos I support JE bands so yup & for Kobukuro to be able to kick her butt , it's like woah
"Your fate is pretty much known." LOLOL.
Old 8th January 2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
"Your fate is pretty much known." LOLOL.
it's true although there're some exceptions like V6 and Tackey & Tsubasa .

Even though both bands are under Johnny & Associates , their music works are produced by avex trax so they're not that 'dangerous' .

Others are pretty much so , I mean I have seen GReeeeN going up against 2 Johnny's bands NEWS & KAT-TUN last year & they're going up against the mother of all KinKi Kids on 28th as both bands will be releasing Ayumi & Yakusoku respectively although it will be interesting to see whether can GReeeeN be able to break KK's 27 #1 consecutive hits since their debut single Glass no Shounen

GReeeN's record label Universal's daring man

Old 8th January 2009, 07:19 AM
Far away Initiate

LOL I was about to mention Kinki Kids. You are right in saying they are the "mother of all" ROFL. I'm going to say...hands down Kinki Kids ^^. Would you like to wager a bet with me KarenPang? Hahahaha. The thing is, if it comes down to it, I'd be totally fine with Ayu going up against Arashi or KAT-TUN, but Kinki Kids...forget about it LOL. It'd be all over for her =(!
Old 8th January 2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
LOL I was about to mention Kinki Kids. You are right in saying they are the "mother of all" ROFL. I'm going to say...hands down Kinki Kids ^^. Would you like to wager a bet with me KarenPang? Hahahaha. The thing is, if it comes down to it, I'd be totally fine with Ayu going up against Arashi or KAT-TUN, but Kinki Kids...forget about it LOL. It'd be all over for her =(!

sorry but if ayumi were to go up against ARASHI or KAT-TUN , she will lose out big time .

Like recently for KAT-TUN's upcoming new single ONE DROP , both the 1st press CD only & CD + DVD are totally outta print on CDJapan .

That's nothing as compared to ARASHI . When the preorder email links for One Love were sent out about 1 1/2 mths prior to the actual release date , the CD + DVD was sold out within a mere 2 hours on CDJapan so I don't think avex will be that stupid for her to go up against both these 2 giant bands & their seniors too

Old 8th January 2009, 07:31 AM
Far away Initiate

Haha I'd think Kinki Kids is bigger than both KAT-TUN and ARASHI no? That way at least she'd have a chance with the latter two...I don't think there'd be a chance if she went up against Kinki to tell you the truth. Simply because they are the "mother of all" as you nicely phrased it lmao. I guess it very much sucks for a label to have to work around releases from these and other groups just so sales don't get stunted big time. I wonder if chart position is even a big worry for the label. I think that'd be more for the artist and the "prestige" you can say that comes with it. All the label cares about to me apparently is the sales, because an album could still be #2 and have good sales. All depends on the chart topper I guess.
Old 8th January 2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Haha I'd think Kinki Kids is bigger than both KAT-TUN and ARASHI no? That way at least she'd have a chance with the latter two...I don't think there'd be a chance if she went up against Kinki to tell you the truth. Simply because they are the "mother of all" as you nicely phrased it lmao.
well KK has been around since '97 & they're still going on strong . Practically all of their singles & albums all debuted at the top .

They are even in the Guinness Book Of Records too :O

The music industry's quite fake to a certain extent . Some labels probably only care about sales & don't place so much emphasis on the chart positions & vice versa .

I guess when GUILTY wasn't able to debut at #1 , people were lamenting that it's the end of the world that sorta thing which I frankly find it silly

They shouldn't see it in that manner , it's not like a gun is being pointed & the trigger is about to be pulled should GUILTY wasn't able to debut at #1

at the end of the day , I place a much bigger emphasis on the quality of the material a single/album has to offer , rather than the chart position . No point giving me something where it's top on the charts but it's not in my music books

Old 8th January 2009, 07:55 AM
Far away Initiate

^Very well said.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:04 AM
walking proud Initiate

As other have said, Kobukuro was riding a wave of popularity. btw, they are not a "boy band" though.

I think what is most disappointing though about Guilty's sales was not that it lost to Kobukuro - but that it lost to Kobukuro's album when that album wasn't even in its first week of release.

Quote:
Actually with Arashi's sales these days, it would be all over for both Ayu and Kinki.... Arashi is definitely the King of JE right now and deservedly so actually because usually Johnny's groups experience their biggest popularity in their first year or two of release but for Arashi it took 10 years to get to that point.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 8th January 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:18 AM
glitter Initiate

many reasons!

-bcose ayu aint as popular as bfore (secret didn't sell that much anyway too, lucky that it got 1st place)
-bcose the album didnt look that promising (the covers were boring for an album, just like any random fashion magazine)
-it didn't have enough songs I think
-maybe the name of the album scared people (who knows lol)
-other singers released in the same date
-the news of her hearing problems
-etc etc etc

but well, lets b positive! her next album must b better ^^

Tags
guilty