[Official Message] Last Minute - full PV - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 26th March 2015, 03:50 AM
And Then Initiate

I share of lot of similar opinions with people- a great idea that ended up not really evolving as the video went on. I wish we had got to see more but ayu thrashing around was interesting at least
Old 26th March 2015, 03:56 AM
Trauma Initiate

better than 'WARNING'
Old 26th March 2015, 04:03 AM
SEASONS Initiate

I eventually have really mixed feelings towards this PV.

I absolutely LOVE its simplicity. No tacky stuff, no bad editing, no stupid acting... I am one of the few who like PVs à la Daybreak...

Yet I don't really know if this PV would have benefited from more staging, or on the contrary, from more simplicity?

I mean it could have been good to have another setting, something that contrasts with the one we have ; while I'm not sure the black ayu, the chair, were necessary, and you can take the exact opposite direction and do something even more simple. Just ayu in front of the camera (no other angles) with the swinging light (like 3/4 of the actual PV) would have worked.

I don't know I feel it's not complete and cohesive in its actual form. The ending may solve this problem.

I'm really glad we had this video though. It's creative, a bit edgy, really unique in her videography! This last quality means a lot to me. Good job! Best PV on this album (hands down) and best PV in a while IMO.

Last edited by hidekirby; 26th March 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old 26th March 2015, 04:18 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbow View Post
How is that a new "low," if I may ask? (Not attacking your opinion, just curious.) There are many videos like this, with very few theatrics/props/etc. Off the top of my head: Duffy's Warwick Avenue, Janelle Monáe's Cold War or Björk's Pagan Poetry. They're great, imo, because they focus on the artist conveying something directly to the viewer but leaving a great deal of space for interpretation. It's nice.

On my first viewing, I would guess she's somewhere in limbo or purgatory. The light is swinging like a clock pendulum to show time and the blackness gives a sense of depression or eternity. With her movements, I think she's either trying to live with herself, put the pieces of her "soul" back together or fighting with someone/something that's tortured her for a long time.

I could be looking too much into it, but at least the video made me intrigued enough to make my own storyline to her video. And there's room for a plot to have been told, just maybe not be explicitly. I prefer that to "Oh look, the buff guy likes the girl because she looks/feels like Ayu now" (FTL) or "She's not that great of a dancer" (Lelio) or "This doesn't fit the song at all" (Melody) at least.
I watched Duffy's video. I've also seen Pagan Poetry and Monae's Cold War. In Warwick Avenue, Duffy is clearly on her way or leaving Warwick Avenue and going through the motions in the backseat of the car. In Pagan Poetry, Bjork is actually shown receiving a corset piercing that's part of the elaborate dress she wears in the final scene.

And Janelle... well, I can't think of a single thing Janelle has done that I thought was interesting. I watched the video and the read the lyrics, and I think that video is intended to just be her without any props or fancy editing because the lyrics talk quite candidly about her feeling put down and told she's not good enough the way she is. (I think it has to do with her being black?) But I honestly can't take her seriously. She is, and I don't intend this to be offensive if you're a fan, but she is quite brutally just another neo-soul/old school singer, and those singers were already a dime a dozen before she debuted. Hell, the UK got Paloma Faith just months before Janelle showed up, and this was only a year or so after Adele and Amy Winehouse showed up and a year after Joss Stone hit #2 on the Billboard with her third first album (because every new Joss Stone record is somehow her new debut... over it.)

I think this would be a reasonably okay video if Ayu weren't singing a song about what's happening between her and another person... to another person. I could see if this were like a "curtain call" type of song, something heartfelt directed to the fans, but these lyrics are actually quite a bit more detailed than The GIFT, the production is honestly better developed as well. And the The GIFT is the PV that clearly got the money to tell a story.

Quote:
Last Minute

Parts of you leave me one by one and I feel cold
It hurts, as if a piece of my body has been ripped from me

Craving someone, hating someone, trusting someone
I live with the scars I caused in the end

You think these are our last words, don't you?
I don't want hear even a second of those
Once you turn into a memory, you exist inside me forever
And that's the cruelest thing there is
Give me myself back

We still smiled sweetly at each other
When we could still see a tomorrow
We knew there is no such thing as forever
But we didn't feel the end was near either

Fading into the night, dissolving at dawn, I lost my heart
I want to forget everything so badly that I can't see even say goodbye

I don't want to know what your last smile looks like
I'll pretend to be sleeping and then disappear
I want to be loved, yet I can't love anyone
I know you have…

You think these are our last words, don't you?
I don't want hear even a second of those
Once you turn into a memory, you exist inside me forever
And that's the cruelest thing there is

I don't want to know what your last smile looks like
I'll pretend to be sleeping and then disappear
I want to be loved, yet I can't love anyone
I know you have noticed
I would've not done a PV than put out this... well, it's trash. It really is. It could've been filmed on an iPhone 6 set up on a mini tripod, and between cuts Ayu could've reached up and knocked the light around to keep it moving. She could've bought the dress at Ross or Marshall's (you can clothe an entire family for less than $100, according to the commercial). It's just really disturbing, and I say this because there's a point where the money could've been better spent... like fixing that mixing problem with the vocals on the chorus that someone else brought up.

I, personally, would've spent the entire budget for this PV on hiring a real drummer for this track, so it didn't sound like synth drums compared to the rest of the rock tracks on the album.

I don't want this to start a trend that later results in Ayumi filming PVs in the bathroom because she can reasonably take a %@#$ and work at the same time. I don't care how pretty her dress is at that point, I'm over it.
Old 26th March 2015, 04:20 AM
until that Day… Initiate

it's definitely Last minute decision to make this PV lol.
it's so simple but at least ayu is gorgeous in the red dress, glad that she didn't wear the same anation n CDL dress again.. she looks so amazingly beautiful even though she moved like madddd in certain parts lol.. but that's her raw emotions..
i like the concept of the PV, it's definitely something different but yeah it could have been better with more of black vs red ayu moments.. how she struggles herself out from the black ayu that has conquered her all this time.. but yeah..
my fave PV are still The Gift and Zutto...
Old 26th March 2015, 04:24 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyUmIXx View Post
it's definitely Last minute decision to make this PV lol.
it's so simple but at least ayu is gorgeous in the red dress, glad that she didn't wear the same anation n CDL dress again.. she looks so amazingly beautiful even though she moved like madddd in certain parts lol.. but that's her raw emotions..
i like the concept of the PV, it's definitely something different but yeah it could have been better with more of black vs red ayu moments.. how she struggles herself out from the black ayu that has conquered her all this time.. but yeah..
my fave PV are still The Gift and Zutto...
And maybe that's the part I'm missing about this PV. That the whole point of it is that it was candidly filmed "last minute". So, she just grabbed a dress and swung a light around and mouthed the words. Maybe that's the whole point I'm missing?
Old 26th March 2015, 04:38 AM
P.S II Initiate

I like the simplicity, but I don't like the swinging light, it makes me headache @@
Old 26th March 2015, 04:39 AM
Curtain call Initiate

HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE AYUMI THAT I LOVE!!
WELCOME BACK AYUMI!
This mv gives me the vibe of Memorial address arena tour 03-04

I thought more people would like this mv more than warning. I'm guessing people like to see ayumi awkwardly trying to
be sexy with no emotions. Last Minute is so raw with some emotions showing. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clover_bali View Post
better than 'WARNING'
WAY MORE
Old 26th March 2015, 04:50 AM
YOU Initiate

Pretty much just her performing the song without a mic and alternate lighting.
Old 26th March 2015, 04:54 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

I love this. More of this style of PVs than, say, "WARNING".
I love her extravagant videos as much as the next person, but this is, like someone mentioned earlier, art.

Switch FC: SW-5149-1993-9785 | Battletag: leafshino#1780
Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | PSN
Old 26th March 2015, 04:58 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeklei View Post
Pretty much just her performing the song without a mic and alternate lighting.
There's such a difference IMO between something like this and say, decision.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:02 AM
until that Day… Initiate

here's the making off video

c: ayuangel and the uploader
Old 26th March 2015, 05:06 AM
As if.. Initiate

Loved it! At first, when the rock part started and nothing outstanding happened, I felt a little disappointed, but after watching the whole thing I get why she decided to make such a simplistic music video, t conveys the emotions pretty well, especially by the end when she's "crying".
Of course they didn't expend a lot of yen shooting this PV but it DOES NOT look cheap, which I appreciate.

I think for me it is: Last minute = WARNING > The GIFT > Zutto...
Old 26th March 2015, 05:11 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think this is the most vulnerable we've ever seen Ayu in a PV.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:11 AM
forgiveness Initiate

I love the PV, yes it is boring in general but it was artistic. And it is the kind of PV I would expect from a deeply personal song. She looks perfect and the dress is gorgeous!

But I think they can do a bit more about it, maybe adding another dress lol
Old 26th March 2015, 05:15 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I watched Duffy's video. I've also seen Pagan Poetry and Monae's Cold War. In Warwick Avenue, Duffy is clearly on her way or leaving Warwick Avenue and going through the motions in the backseat of the car. In Pagan Poetry, Bjork is actually shown receiving a corset piercing that's part of the elaborate dress she wears in the final scene.

And Janelle... well, I can't think of a single thing Janelle has done that I thought was interesting. I watched the video and the read the lyrics, and I think that video is intended to just be her without any props or fancy editing because the lyrics talk quite candidly about her feeling put down and told she's not good enough the way she is. (I think it has to do with her being black?) But I honestly can't take her seriously. She is, and I don't intend this to be offensive if you're a fan, but she is quite brutally just another neo-soul/old school singer, and those singers were already a dime a dozen before she debuted. Hell, the UK got Paloma Faith just months before Janelle showed up, and this was only a year or so after Adele and Amy Winehouse showed up and a year after Joss Stone hit #2 on the Billboard with her third first album (because every new Joss Stone record is somehow her new debut... over it.)

I think this would be a reasonably okay video if Ayu weren't singing a song about what's happening between her and another person... to another person. I could see if this were like a "curtain call" type of song, something heartfelt directed to the fans, but these lyrics are actually quite a bit more detailed than The GIFT, the production is honestly better developed as well. And the The GIFT is the PV that clearly got the money to tell a story.

I would've not done a PV than put out this... well, it's trash. It really is. It could've been filmed on an iPhone 6 set up on a mini tripod, and between cuts Ayu could've reached up and knocked the light around to keep it moving. She could've bought the dress at Ross or Marshall's (you can clothe an entire family for less than $100, according to the commercial). It's just really disturbing, and I say this because there's a point where the money could've been better spent... like fixing that mixing problem with the vocals on the chorus that someone else brought up.

I, personally, would've spent the entire budget for this PV on hiring a real drummer for this track, so it didn't sound like synth drums compared to the rest of the rock tracks on the album.

I don't want this to start a trend that later results in Ayumi filming PVs in the bathroom because she can reasonably take a %@#$ and work at the same time. I don't care how pretty her dress is at that point, I'm over it.
Thanks for responding (and I do mean that)! I'll have to spoiler this because I wrote way more than I intended

Spoiler:
Yes, Duffy's leaving Warwick Avenue in the video, even if that doesn't fit with the song (where she's on her way there). But they decided to capture the emotion, and to the listener, now the lyrics can mean something else. It can now be that Duffy's retelling the story to the viewer in a taxi, for example, though that's not how it was intended when shot.

And yep, I'm a Janelle fan, though no, the video isn't specifically about her being put down for being black, it's part of a concept album theme she's developed. It might be influenced by race, yes, but like any interesting form of art, it doesn't have ONE meaning behind it. That's just taking it at face value as the video itself. You're entitled to that view and it might be partially right, but it won't be the sole correct one.

That being said, I don't understand the point of calling her "another neo-soul/old school singer" (as if it's a bad thing, too) when 1. there are plenty of people in every genre before everyone... ever, 2. you're unaware of what she's expressing, but are quickly judging by the first impression you get, proving my point. I'm not offended, just confused as to why mention all that, really.

As for LM being about someone else... I never dismissed that idea:

"With her movements, I think she's either trying to live with herself, put the pieces of her "soul" back together or fighting with someone/something that's tortured her for a long time."

To me, the lyrics could just be vaguely referring to ~someone else~ while really referring to the other side of her (see: the video). She is still singing to someone, it's just another version of her. It's not like the budget was so little that they couldn't afford a man to sit on that chair, or have a mannequin silhouette or something Or so I hope lmao. Only she knows what she really means in the song and why she expressed it this way, but to dismiss it as "trash" and her "new low" seems like such a gross over exaggeration given her track record with some of her music videos lately. And none of the reasons you gave (iPhone, DIY, cheap dress) make a video trash, especially if the end-product meant something to someone--and while there are people that disliked it, plenty of people really loved it too. It can be trash to you, but it's not "really" trash, like you so definitively say.

I'm happy the video didn't go for the obvious, even if it was because of budget or for a specific reason. I could be wrong about the intentions, but my interpretation/projection won't be, which makes art interesting to me.

However, I'll agree, the most disappointing part of the video for me is that the song wasn't mixed properly. -___- I love the general idea song and it was fine for the single, but what is so hard about getting a real drummer and a good mixer for the album version? That screams budget issues more than the video to me, which was just done spontaneously and didn't go through a huge planning process (that doesn't mean I think it didn't have any thought btw haha.)

Old 26th March 2015, 05:17 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I'd be surprised if tasuku didn't push for a drummer originally... but who knows what happened behind the scenes.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:19 AM
YOU Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
There's such a difference IMO between something like this and say, decision.
Not decision litterally the performance of this song that we've already seen in the past tour. Its pretty much the same. As well as memorial address cause the two of those are also similar. Love this song though and the performance just its all similar.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:20 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeklei View Post
Not decision litterally the performance of this song that we've already seen in the past tour. Its pretty much the same. As well as memorial address cause the two of those are also similar. Love this song though and the performance just its all similar.
I think anything else would have ruined the 'image' of the song. To me, I think if she did a Memorial address PV, it would be extremely similar to the lives like this, but maybe a bit more budget with that room in the album art.

Last edited by truehappiness; 26th March 2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 26th March 2015, 05:21 AM
forgiveness Initiate

And all of my hopes of getting this song remastered better is gone :< Too bad, the guitar sounds too raw and yes, the drum sound is so lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
I think anything else would have ruined the 'image' of the song. To me, I think if she did a Memorial address PV, it would be extremely similar to the lives.
I agree, if Memorial address ever got a PV it'll went sth like this.

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, a one, last minute