Party Queen album thoughts II - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 24th March 2012, 06:38 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

I still play the album, especially Party Queen, Shake It & Return Road.
NaNaNa is still amazing but i've decided to not play it too often, i don't want to get tired of it.

Shake It<3 is definitly the track that has growed on me the most, i found it rather dissapointing at first but it may just be my favorite on the album now. IT'S SO HOT.

And to my surprise some of the tracks i loved the most at first have become my least played lol, Call is great but it got boring quick. And Letter just does nothing to me it seems.
I've found a weak spot for Eyes, Smoke, Magic. i can't help but love it now.

So my opinion on the album is pretty much the same, just with some opinions changing.

DeviantArt | Coverlandia | Flickr | Tumblr

I’m the only one giving my all
and I suppose that’s how it must be..
i’ll push through the smoke and be buried in noise

Old 24th March 2012, 06:53 PM
SURREAL Initiate

Yes! Shake it♥ is awesome. I love bounceback
Old 24th March 2012, 06:57 PM
And Then Initiate

woman could be dangerous woman could be generous IN ORDER TO SURVIVVVEEEEEE
Old 24th March 2012, 07:09 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Shake it is growing on me as well!
Old 24th March 2012, 07:11 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
Does anyone get HANABI vibes from the opening of Return Road and the composition. Both songs' opening have the same melodic progression and that pre-chorus part...where she sings slightly faster and the key is raised halfway during that...it's existant in both songs!

well..no surprise since DAI is involved in both but...just something i felt...
Soooooort of. Not HANABI specifically but I get strong vibes of the albums Duty and RAINBOW with all the tracks on this album

Sounds like it would fit in Duty/GUILTY (sad rock ballads)
reminds me
Return Road
Tell me why
the next LOVE (she's never done jazz but I think Duty would be the closest
Eyes, Smoke, Magic
how beautiful you are

Sounds like it would fit in with RAINBOW/NEXT LEVEL (R&B, electronica)
Party queen
NaNaNa
Shake it <3
call
Letter
how beautiful you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by love in music View Post
Shake It♥ is becoming my favorite on the album now. can't stop listening.
i guess i'm just going to go through a lot of favorites over time since this album is full of so many amazing songs lol
Me too my boyfriend gets it stuck in his head too hahah and he's not a fan maybe he will be in the future... I'll just let him fall into his own trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microphone View Post
woman could be dangerous woman could be generous IN ORDER TO SURVIVVVEEEEEE
YES I get RAINBOW feelings from Party queen -- Letter tracks those first 5 sound so RAINBOW to me
Old 25th March 2012, 04:07 AM
As if.. Initiate

My thoughts on this album:

I still haven’t warmed up to “Party Queen”, and I don’t think I ever will. I haven’t liked this song since hearing it at CDL, so it’s an automatic skip for me.

However, the other two party-ish songs, “NaNaNa, and “Shake It ♥”, I like those a lot. Don’t even mind Timmy taking over most of “NaNaNa”.

“Taskebab” was just meh. Whatever.

Moving on to the rock section, I really like “Call” and I love “Reminds Me”. I’m not sold on “Letter” at the moment, but maybe with a few more listens. “Tell Me Why” was okay, a little boring though. Halfway through the song, I was like meh, next. After listening to “Return Road” in full, I don’t really like it.

I think I like “A Cup of Tea” a little bit…

“The Next LOVE” kinda reminded me of “Giving Him Something He Can Feel” by En Vogue. Not really a fan of this song though, I listened to it twice and I have no desire to ever listen to it again. It wasn’t as bad as “Eyes, Smoke, Magic”. I couldn’t even get through that song once. The part where the music picked up a bit was cool, but after that I was done.

“Serenade in A Minor” is…meh. Pretty, but meh.

I think “How Beautiful You Are” is a nice closing song. Also pretty much the only song composed by Timmy that I actually like.

So to wrap up, I found the album to be pretty average. The first half was nice (except “Party Queen”), but after “Reminds Me”, I found the album pretty dull. To be honest, I wish I hadn’t spent money on this and downloaded it instead. There's just too many skippable tracks here for me.
Old 25th March 2012, 06:26 AM
TO BE Initiate

My first post.
I felt like this album was average overall...

Party Queen: This actually one of the only songs on the album that feels like it had some form of effort put into it to me. Anyway, I think it's kind of like a HONEY; it's not meant to be taken seriously. It serves its purpose nicely.

NaNaNa: I laugh every time this just happens to pop up on my iPod's shuffle. Don't get me wrong, I love the beat, it's great. But Timmy's rap...did Ayu write this, or him? Anyway, it's one of the less generic songs on the album, and I praise Ayu and her composers on their work here.

Shake it <3: I'm not sure how I feel about this. Yeah, it's addictive. But so is 'Lollipop' by Koda Kumi. Anyway, it sounds like Ayu is trying too hard with its erotic lyrics. I'm not going to say its generic, but it's not...I don't know. It's decent I guess.

Taskebab: It reminds me of Ladies Night ~another night~. Instant love.

call: Hey Ayu, Last Links called and wants its guitar back. I just don't like this. It's just so weak. So, so brittle....Ayu could have done so much with this. Maybe Ayu should have put this as the opening track? I mean, Bold & Delicious didn't sound nearly half as terrible as the (miss)understood opener...

Letter: What call should have been. Honestly, call shouldn't be on the album due to the presence of this song. Although Ayu's vocals aren't brilliant here, I think it actually suits the overall mood; she sounds very emotional in it. When she goes for the high notes, she reminds me of the Duty Ayu. Anyway, I think she's going to cry during this song at her tour.

reminds me: I have been waiting the day for another NEVER EVER to come along, and I think this is it. It is absolute desperation coupled with melancholy, and it works so well. I think it will out last every other song on this album in terms of impression, and be the only one that will gain classic status.

Return Road: Epic; but that is all it is. It has been heavily based on M, but unfortunately, I think it'll be a bit like progress and become forgettable in a few months time. That's actually another point; Ayu does this every album. She has this epic song that seemingly blows everything else out of the water, but lately, I feel as if all of them do not have the lasting impression of RAINBOW, Duty, Free & Easy, and Mirrorcle World, and consequently, fail to become classics. Also, I think the choir featured in the instrumental should have been throughout the song, as it just feels so out of place being suddenly featured in the latter of the song.

Tell me why: It's not terrible, but it's definitely generic. This sounds so influenced by Western pop, and I'm not sure if I like Ayu going down that route as Western pop is just so manufactured now (haha, not that I have a choice what she does!) Anyway, it's a filler, but I'm not going to complain as its not a 'meaning of Love' type that has seemed to weasle its way onto every recent Ayu album.

cup of Tea: I'm not really a fan of dubstep, so I don't really like it. But, it seems as if dubstep fans love it, so I'm going to assume that its a great interlude.

the next LOVE: I love Jazz, Ayu has that kind of husky tone that suits seedy saxophones. Anyway, it's probably the most original song on the album, and I am so, SO pleased that it is a jazz based as it stands out in her discography; it'll have its own special place among other devastation based songs such HOPE or PAIN, SCAR, still alone, and Pride. It's a shame that it's been so disapproved by fans, as it has redeemed this album for me.

Eyes, Smoke, Magic: Yeah, yeah; everyone loathes this song. But they're all going to do a 360 when Ayu goes all Chicago and does it justice at her tour this year. I like it, it's different.

Serenade in A minor: Beautiful, but bland.

how beautiful you are: Great message, but its been done before. It's a disappointment. Curtain call is better (Yeah. I went there).

Overall, I give Ayu 3.5 for this album. It's not her greatest, but it's definitely not her worst. It has the best lyrics Ayu has had in YEARS. I mean, I think these lyrics are on par with the ones featured in MY STORY, and (miss)understood. Unfortunately, half the songs have already been done by Ayu before, another quarter are just plain generic, and then there is the remainder that have actually made this album worth listening to.

Best songs:
reminds me, Return Road, the next LOVE, NaNaNa.

Decent:
Shake it <3, Party Queen, cup of Tea, Taskebab.

Good luck next time Ayu:
call, tell me why, Serenade in A minor, how beautiful you are.

Is going to change everybody's minds at her tour:
Eyes, Smoke, Magic, Letter.
Old 25th March 2012, 12:35 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

All the songs grew on me. Repeated the album for 823726291028x times, so I have my new likes and dislikes.

Party Queen: Grew fast on me when the radio rip leaked. Still like the song.
NaNaNa: Had to hear this one four times to know where it was going. Now it's one of my favourites on this album.
Shake it: I hated Shake it from the beginning, but I like it now.
call: Liked this song, but I have kind of heard it now.And I notice I am skipping this song a lot lately.
Letter: It's okay, I guess. Never have been a huge fan of this song. Another skip.
reminds me: My playlist says I listen to this song a lot, apparently.. but I have still no idea how the chorus is going, actually. Allthough, this is that song with that long rock-guitar bridge, right? Well I love that part. Lets say I like it.
Return Road Masterpiece. Loved it from the 15seconds-preview. I am still amazed. The smashing piano-shock is over.
Tell Me Why I like it a lot, but I have been skipping this song a lot as well, lately.
the next LOVE Grew on me. But... still no fan.
Eyes Smoke Magic Oh, how much I hated this song. But it grew on me and I cant help it to sing along with it. It's such a cute song. Deleted it from my iPod though because I think it's not a really good Ayu song.
how beautiful you are That's the thing with singles, right? You have kind of heard it now. But HBYA is beautiful. Even now I am not listening to it as much as before.

I guess my opinions are okay for now. They will not change very much

Old 25th March 2012, 01:36 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

to me.this album is like a combine of next level and rock and roll circus.

the song - 5 star (so many enjoyable songs...esp the first of three one)
the pv - 3 star
the cover - 1 star
the booklet - sorry i really dont like it.

i like it...but (don't) like it.

Woman Could be Dangerous
Man Could be Dangerous
Gay Could be Dangerous
Lesbian Could be Dangerous

You....! Could be Dangerous!!!
Old 25th March 2012, 01:39 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

btw ,where's HAL go? i miss their "dreamy" effect song,like they did on rainbow.i think this album is too far from rainbow.its as close like next level and rock and roll circus.and i dont think this is like guilty.guilty is a very sad/angry/dark atmosphere album.glitter shouldn;t be there

Woman Could be Dangerous
Man Could be Dangerous
Gay Could be Dangerous
Lesbian Could be Dangerous

You....! Could be Dangerous!!!
Old 25th March 2012, 06:00 PM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

I'll never stop expressing my discontent with Eyes, Smoke, Magic, and the next LOVE. MANNNNNN lol

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 26th March 2012, 02:58 AM
YOU Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieces_of_SEVEN View Post
I'll never stop expressing my discontent with Eyes, Smoke, Magic, and the next LOVE. MANNNNNN lol
I feel like these songs were a great use of her voice in it's current state (contrasted with HBYA, where the music and her voice quality just clashed imo), but unfortunately I really hate theatre-style/musical-style music. They are the only tracks on the album where I can say my dislike is entirely a matter of genre-preference.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:17 AM
SCAR Initiate

Ayu should never, ever touch jazz again. period. she's done it. now never do it again.

I'll jump on the bandwagon of people who "shake it" grew on them. Love this track now.
Old 27th March 2012, 04:15 AM
Endless sorrow Guardian

Wow, I really feel like an odd one out here. For me personally, Party Queen-Nanana-Shake It are my least favourite tracks on the whole album... and Eyes, Smoke, Magic is easily one of my favourites.

It's weird, but i really was feeling dissapointed after the first 3 tracks, and almost considered stopping the album until a later time, but once i hit Call, that all changed and i felt it went from strength to strength after that.

Return Road is a true highlight for me, and i absolutely love how beautiful you are. Still though, as mentioned earlier, i really think my standouts for the album are Eyes, Smoke, Magic, and also the next LOVE. I'm not trying to be different, heck i didn't even know what anyone thought about the album until i checked here just now .

I tend to skip passed tracks 1-3 when i listen to this album, maybe they're just not my kinda thing. Sure, they could fit in with the whole Next Level style etc... but i don't think any of these three songs are quite up to the standard of that album.

That said, i'm quite interested to see Nanana live... I've been won over to songs in the past based on live performances (Step you most notably) so anything's possible.

Photobucket
Thanks a lot to xLitax for the great set ^^
I retract my previous statement... Pommy's awesome!
Bulmasman @ AHSforum.com
Old 27th March 2012, 04:29 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieces_of_SEVEN View Post
you dislike jazz music in general lol

Anyway, I can't listen to them cause its just too much cheese.

I really really hope she changes up the arrangments or does something cool musically for them when she does them live...but knowing her, it'll all be about the theatrics.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 27th March 2012, 07:05 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmasman View Post
Wow, I really feel like an odd one out here. For me personally, Party Queen-Nanana-Shake It are my least favourite tracks on the whole album... and Eyes, Smoke, Magic is easily one of my favourites.
You're not alone, I dislike PQ and NaNaNa too. Maybe Shake it♥ will grow on you?
Old 27th March 2012, 12:29 PM
Endless sorrow Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard box View Post
You're not alone, I dislike PQ and NaNaNa too. Maybe Shake it♥ will grow on you?
It may grow on me, but not sure if and when lol. It's probably the best of those three songs, but on a whole it just seems like one of her weaker tracks overall. It's a shame really

Photobucket
Thanks a lot to xLitax for the great set ^^
I retract my previous statement... Pommy's awesome!
Bulmasman @ AHSforum.com
Old 27th March 2012, 06:08 PM
no more words Initiate

Reminds me is such a great song lol, I bet she's gonna own it live
Old 27th March 2012, 08:46 PM
As if.. Initiate

1. Party queen - wasn't too keen on the first listen but it grew on me fast. I like the beat and the chorus sounds amazing. The lyrics themselves appeal to me, too, but I love the club scene (how I miss living in a city rather than this small coastal town) so I find it relatable.

2. NaNaNa - this is possible my favourite track on the album. I've always loved clocks as symbolism, so I was hooked from the "tick tick tick" of the opening. Oh, and I love Timmy. The things people were saying about his contributions made me wary but, somehow, I love his presence on this album (loved him in BRILLANTE too, mind). Also adore the PV! It's perfect.

3. Shake It♥ - brilliant track. It doesn't feel polished, but I think that only adds to it's appeal. I really don't like the PV though.

4. taskebab - from about 50 seconds onwards this interlude is golden.

5. call - beautiful and I love it. It usually takes me a while to warm-up to ballads but I loved this one before she even opened her mouth. On the first listen the quality of her voice bothered me somewhat, but the chorus is perfect!

6. Letter - amazing, but I think I prefer call. However, I will admit that I think her vocals are much stronger here and that, overall, it is technically the better song.

7. reminds me - the lyrics here are so beautiful and honest and I just love how she sounds here. <3 Although the the long instrumental/lalala bit bores me.

8. Return Road - I really like this. As for the PV, I love the concept but can't help but find it a little dull.

9. Tell me why - I like it while it's playing - but once it's over I have trouble recalling how it sounds. I guess it isn't memorable for me. :/

10. a cup of tea - like taskebab, I love it.

11. the next LOVE - not too keen on it! Maybe it'll grow on me.

12. Eyes, Smoke, Magic - wasn't keen on the first few listens but I love it now. The lyrics themselves bother me in relation to the style.

13. Serenade in A minor - another perfect interlude.

14. how beautiful you are - love, love, love it. And the PV is gorgeous - but I wish it were in colour!

last.fm

Old 28th March 2012, 03:33 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJason View Post
The only songs I play are NaNaNa, Party Queen, reminds me and Return Road.

When I listen to NaNaNa I always smile awkwardly out of nowhere because I find it so funny how BAD Timmy sounds LOL. Happened yesterday at the subway. :/
I agree with this. I preorded Party Queen and was really looking forward to it. I enjoyed a few songs at first, namely NaNaNa, reminds me, Return Road (and I actually really like Eyes, Smoke, Magic ), but its only been a week and I am kinda bored of the album already. I was still regularly listening to Love Songs right before Party Queen came out. I quite like Letter, my only problem is I find the vocals to be a little ummm.. raw perhaps? especially towards the end of the song.

I think the the second reason I bought the album was my excitment to watch and hear CLD all polished up. But even then I felt a little underwhelmed, poor do it again I generally prefer listening to live performances but this time I'm going to stick to the studio version, especially near the end!

Like alot of others I found that Timmy's presence in the album really stood out, I don't mind him at all but it was too much all of a sudden for me. While I quite enjoy NaNaNa I feel like I keep it a secret because I would be so embarrassed if people heard Timmy's part. But that's my opinion of the album This is probably my first proper post on the forums after being a member for a few years. I'm not sure what made me want to voice my opinion this time around. Maybe it's my first dose of disappointment since becoming an Ayu fan when Secret was released. Love Songs and GUILTY are still my favourite albums for sure!

Last edited by mosaicbuster; 28th March 2012 at 03:36 AM.