Ugh, I have to say this. - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Old 20th May 2008, 06:10 AM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

ooo i didnt know about that~ i'm not using that word though...

but i'll take note about that

||Youtube||Twitter||

set made by apple-pi

Old 20th May 2008, 07:05 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

I never say it... but i think alot of ppl just don't understand how offensive it really is...

thanks to georgiaannaa on LJ for the gorgeous YamaPi gif from Namie's UNUSUAL PV <3
Old 20th May 2008, 07:18 AM
Startin' Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddaiyamondo View Post
What I think is that these are just words, and they only have power if you let them.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Sadly, many people have found words to be effective weapons against people. Not saying you shouldn't be allowed to be offended by whatever you want, but in the end I think getting offended by just about anything is a waste of good minutes and just asking for a heart attack down the line.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

^What ever happened to people ignoring ignorant people?!

As for the word "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~", I never knew it was so offensive. I mean, I knew it was offensive but not that offensive. I'll admit that I've used the word before but only to abbreviate Japanese. That's what I originally thought it meant. I didn't know it had a history behind it. I apologize if it offended you Huaka. I do know how you feel though. *has learned something new today*
Old 20th May 2008, 07:28 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
The pen is mightier than the sword...

Words have great power to do good or harm. You can choose to not let yourself be offended if someone uses a racial slur against you, but really, if someone made a racist coment about me or said something in an inappropriate way I'd have a pretty good right to be offended.

Someone can say 'just words' to you, but it can have a huge effect of your life: your choices, your feelings...

So yes it's good to have a thick skin and not take everything personally, but I think it's our individual responsibility to use appropriate language so we dont accidentally ruin someone's day when we didn't mean to at all.

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 20th May 2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

^Yea, I agree.

Even though he wasn't particularly talking about me, I was so freakin' offended when this radio talk show host called an all black girl's basketball team "Nappy headed-ho's". I felt so angry about the whole situation. He apologized but I couldn't except even if he wasn't referring to me. It just felt like he was though.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:52 AM
Daybreak Initiate

yea, I used it once before. I never knew it until someone told me the "you know what" word is offensive then i wikied it and realised it was REALLY offensive (wiki definition to it) But i believe people used the word without knowing the offensive history of it i just thought it was a short way to write "Japanese" at first I only seem to see it used in posts about CDs.
eg
"I just bought *WHATEVER CD* j$p version"

oh, btw is "JP" offensive in anyway? just incase
Old 20th May 2008, 08:38 AM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybobory View Post
^Actually I find it extremely offensive for Pakistani, because the only situations I have heard it in have been racist ones and the words makes me cringe...
Well, I looked it up on Wikipedia and I see that it's considered offensive in Canada and the UK... in the States I don't think it has any negative connotations at all. Kind of how "oriental" is considered quite ignorant in America, but it's completely acceptable in Great Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneb View Post
oh, btw is "JP" offensive in anyway? just incase
Nope. Look at the website ending code ".jp" JPN is okay too.

Quote:

Words have great power to do good or harm. You can choose to not let yourself be offended if someone uses a racial slur against you, but really, if someone made a racist coment about me or said something in an inappropriate way I'd have a pretty good right to be offended.

Someone can say 'just words' to you, but it can have a huge effect of your life: your choices, your feelings...

So yes it's good to have a thick skin and not take everything personally, but I think it's our individual responsibility to use appropriate language so we dont accidentally ruin someone's day when we didn't mean to at all.
I understand and agree with what you're saying in day-to-day activities, and this website, but I think that we as a society should stop giving power to these words. There are a great deal of African American thinkers who are trying to start a movement to reclaim the N-word word and strip it of any power, and I think that would be great. If people stop letting simple words hurt them so easily, we could move closer to eliminating racial tensions altogether.

Last edited by dddaiyamondo; 20th May 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:54 AM
appears Initiate

Im sorry if I ever did that, i cant remeber what I type but i try not to type things like that. I might of done it by accident I cant remember. Its not okay to use racial slurs, thank you for speacking up coz it enlightens people. Dont be afraid peoples

credit:pocoyo~po~yo

Old 20th May 2008, 02:16 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:

I certainly agree.

my current jam

Ayumi Hamasaki - GREEN
Old 20th May 2008, 02:35 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Lost...
what word you people are talkin about?

Strangely, these days I just like things that are easy
generasia
MusicShop Gallery
Utada Hikaru Discography OLIVIA Discography
Base Ball Bear Discographymoumoon DiscographyJUJU Discography

Old 20th May 2008, 03:01 PM
The Judgement Day Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy_Fuyumi View Post
Lost...
what word you people are talkin about?
Algumas pessoas no forum, quando vão escrever a palavra "japanese", são relaxadas e escrevem a forma contraída "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~". Contudo, essa palavra "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~" é considerada preconceituosa, porque era utilizada por americanos e outras nações para se referir de forma depreciativa aos japoneses e familiares durante e no pós-II guerra mundial. Por este motivo, a gente orienta aos usuários a não usar a forma contraída, pois é considerada ofensiva para muitos. Huaka justamente criou este tópico para discutir sua insatisafação ao ter visto alguns usuários fazendo uso regular desta palavra.

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪

Old 20th May 2008, 03:30 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Ah obrigada Impact é que nao estava a entender nada =)

Strangely, these days I just like things that are easy
generasia
MusicShop Gallery
Utada Hikaru Discography OLIVIA Discography
Base Ball Bear Discographymoumoon DiscographyJUJU Discography

Old 20th May 2008, 03:45 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

wow I didn't realised the shortened word will offend people even though I must admit it can get lazy on my part & that I just want to shorten this to make life a bit more easily

In anycase , I will also stay clear of doing any of this in case people will get offended accidentally .

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 20th May 2008, 06:25 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: where the Sexy little things Sparkle and sing Love songs (California)
It really doesn't matter whether or not they meant it as a racial slur, it still should not be used. It is very offensive.

♥sweet&simple♥
ღGraphic Junkies, UNITE!ღ
Old 20th May 2008, 07:48 PM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddaiyamondo View Post
I think using it towards a person is rude, but I don't see it as racist if you're just using it as shorthand for Japanese. My Japanese Literature teacher (who is Japanese-American) refers to our class as pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~-Lit all the time. But yeah, I agree maybe it would be best if it is kept off this forum to prevent anyone getting pissed.
wouldn't it be more considerate to right jpn? that's what I try to do. (Ayu opened me up to the idea of using it that way)

--
music.

Old 20th May 2008, 07:52 PM
still alone Initiate

All my teachers have used JPN as an abbreviation, or said the whole word out. O_o. Weird. I took Japanese-Literature too.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:58 PM
winding road Initiate

giiiiiiiiiirl i know just what you mean! it burns me up when people use this, no matter what their reasons. every asian board i know has this word BANNED. i always abbreviate it to JPN if i'm feeling lazy
Old 21st May 2008, 02:15 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4123 View Post
i know how i would feel if i was called a "jew". i mean, my friends use it to joke about themselves everyday (you gotta be in my class to understand ), but it has the same bad meaning as pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~, so i understand where people are coming from. it all depends on HOW you use these kind of slurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I found out the other month that apparently "oriental" is offensive now when regarding people.
I swear, I'm never gonna remember what's offensive as it seems to change every 2 minutes. Never knew "jew" was offensive (honestly I like the word, the way it sounds o.o) or "oriental" (love that word too). Sheesh, I should just call Jewish people Hebrews like the Bible does. LOL Or is that offensive now?
Old 21st May 2008, 02:28 AM
no more words Initiate

^ It's probably just best to never refer to people as a certain group. That's what I've learned.

~ last.fm ~ crochet blog ~ twitter ~