Review Of A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ In Singapore's The Strait Times's Life ! papers - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 3rd October 2008, 06:53 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
That's just stupid. If you're a real critic, you shouldn't let your own opinion i.e. not liking J-Pop interfere with the review.
maybe because japan's music is pretty different with ehmm let's say american or any other asian countries. as a former fan of western music and used to judge a singer by his/her vocal technique, i was wtfthisgirlcantsingatall when i heard ayu's earliest songs.

and i didn't say that he's hatin jpop, and i don't know about it either.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:29 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-fan View Post
maybe because japan's music is pretty different with ehmm let's say american or any other asian countries. as a former fan of western music and used to judge a singer by his/her vocal technique, i was wtfthisgirlcantsingatall when i heard ayu's earliest songs.
Hows that different from other asian countries? Cpop and Kpop are far worse in the category of people that can't sing a tell and music that outsiders will enjoy.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:57 PM
Who... Initiate

i am so going to keep that article. and scan it. cause part of the picture of the a complete cover is cut off D:

3/5 is quite measly even for a single collection manxzxz. helloooo

its like all the hits in one big box?! oh well. D:
Old 3rd October 2008, 08:03 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
you'd wince from time to time from her unsteady , whiny singing . If you survive it and progress to Discs 2 & 3 which gets better and bolder , you realise that her repertoire was skilfully shaped along the way to suit her pipes .
fu<k him.. i hate these lines.. the whole review is like telling us how bad ayumi is as a singer. Damn SPH

The short summer is starting now
How many memories can I make with you?
The sun is just shining bright
And the waves are always rolling on the shore~

My Ayupans Collection

Old 3rd October 2008, 08:10 PM
from your letter Initiate

the review is too short and contain too little info about the songs themselves. even a hater can write a better "review"
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:23 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitkki View Post
How exactly does one review a single collection? The review sounds more like something you'd find on an online blog than anything professional.
I agree. It sounds exactly like the most childish post you'd find on AHS.

That's not to say the guy is wrong for feeling the way he feels about the collection, only that if you write for a professional newspaper you should, you know, be professional and not come off as a whiny teenager with a bone to pick.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 3rd October 2008, 11:31 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

'If survive and progress to Disc 2 & 3' ....
WHAT the ...!! he's a total disgraceful for me!

Old 4th October 2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever*ayu View Post
'If survive and progress to Disc 2 & 3' ....
WHAT the ...!! he's a total disgraceful for me!
He's funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InoriNoUta View Post
I agree. It sounds exactly like the most childish post you'd find on AHS.

That's not to say the guy is wrong for feeling the way he feels about the collection, only that if you write for a professional newspaper you should, you know, be professional and not come off as a whiny teenager with a bone to pick.
That's just how critics are....they give their honest opinion about the topic even if it sounds "childish" or "mean" or "unprofessional". I just wish most of you would just stop wanting every opinion about Ayu to be sugar-coated. =/ I bet if he added, "The Empress of Jpop cover was pretty!" you guys wouldn't have even cared about the rest of what he said. This is the same thing that happened with the top 10 worst people to have in a CM (or something along that lines of that) topic. Everybody got all pissy about that instead of try'n to see it the companies' side of it. The bad thing about this whole thing is that the guy gave it a 3/5 which is average and good, and yet some of you care call'n him a hater. Not everything about ayu has to be perfect. Accept it.

Last edited by Luv ~Venus~; 4th October 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 4th October 2008, 12:49 AM
winding road Initiate

While I don't think he gave the worst review in history, it's evident that he didn't really bother to take a lot of time or care really finding out about the material he was charged to review. He failed to really mention the main selling points of the album: 10th anniversary and the re-recording of Who..., especially since this was an overseas review and the overseas press had the Chinese version =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv ~Venus~ View Post
blah blah blah tl;dr
If he wrote the same review about Hikki, you'd be up in arms and ready to hire a hit man. gtfo, seriously.

Old 4th October 2008, 12:50 AM
Initiate

>I just wish most of you would just stop wanting every opinion about Ayu to be sugar-coated.

Just like I wish you'd stop thinking all Ayu fans are stans that foam at the mouth each time someone talks against her?

The article isn't even an article. Any person with a brain in their head and an idea of how journalism should be conducted can tell that it's unprofessional drivel.

"Yes."

Old 4th October 2008, 12:51 AM
Replace Initiate

Honestly, i'm an ayu fan & I'd say almost exactly the same things about the box set (although I'd elaborate more).

Her singing WAS whiny, unsteady, and unskillful for most of disc 1. And the music did get better as her voice did. Face it, half the reason alot of you like ayu's earlier material is only because you like her more recent material; you're gonna be much more forgiving of higher-pitched, whiny singing than someone who's not a huge ayu fan.

This person obviously thinks her more recent stuff is alright, but had a hard time getting through her earlier stuff. Alot of people would.

And most of the "selling points" of the album (re-recorded "Who...", remastering, ayus 10th anniversary, the cool packaging) is the type of thing only fans would really give a crap about anyway. The review wasn't written for OUR benefit, we already bought the thing. It was written for people more recently interested in ayu, who may or may not possibly get it, they're not sure yet.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:08 AM
winding road Initiate

It's not so much the content or the rating he gave the project, my issue is it looks like he said "Oh crap, I gotta write a review on this album for tomorrow!!!" and half assed it.

Old 4th October 2008, 01:10 AM
Replace Initiate

He honestly was probably familiar enough with her singles (being a music reviewer, he most likely would) and just wrote the review of the songs themselves based on his memory. Given that the review was a small column talking about three releases, I'm not surprised that there's not much to the review.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:13 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv ~Venus~ View Post
^And you obviously misread my whole post as I'm not stating all ayu you fans just some. Your responses lately have only made me think your more of an obsessed fan than th. >_>

But wuteva. I'm not here to start a fight.
Your post seemed aimed at the people in the thread who were complaining about this guy's review and you spoke in pretty broad/generalized terms. If you wanted to make it known that you weren't talking about all fans then I don't know.. maybe rephrase what you say a little bit?

Just because I'm going against the things you say doesn't make me an obsessed fan.

"Yes."

Old 4th October 2008, 01:17 AM
Will Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondingo View Post
I agree with the 3/5 because it's a lazy release
I have to agree with this too. It's just a review, people. Get over it.

Koda Kumi Concert Audio

Old 4th October 2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InoriNoUta View Post
Your post seemed aimed at the people in the thread who were complaining about this guy's review and you spoke in pretty broad/generalized terms. If you wanted to make it known that you weren't talking about all fans then I don't know.. maybe rephrase what you say a little bit?

Just because I'm going against the things you say doesn't make me an obsessed fan.
LOL! Sorry if I did come off strong/mean about it especially the obsess fan part. It's just that he's review wasn't that bad. =/ I mean, that lil part would make some mad or wuteva but it's kinda funny when you reread again. The thing is that some people here didn't really (IMO) read he review all the way through. I mean, he rated it an average. Hasn't ayumi's releases been rated average lately?

Last edited by Luv ~Venus~; 4th October 2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:46 AM
JEWEL Initiate

I wonder what he would have said if he made it longer....
Old 4th October 2008, 01:49 AM
Banned

^Would it have really mattered? I'm pretty sure he's opinion wouldn't have changed. =/

AC is doing well on the charts and that's all that matters right?! Srsly, a 3 outta 5 is nothing to get mad about....especially considering it's a lazy release.

Last edited by Luv ~Venus~; 4th October 2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 4th October 2008, 01:52 AM
JEWEL Initiate

^ At least he could have backed up his statements a bit more =/

Try and explain his point of view more in a way that would not piss off people xD (here or else where lol)
Old 4th October 2008, 01:54 AM
Trauma Initiate

WHERE ARE HIS REFERENCES?! D:

ohaayoo, wutashee noo nahmaeh wa austin desu 8D
luls

flavors.me | last.fm | facebook

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, a complete ~all singles~, ayumi hamasaki