ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary ~ [III] - Page 17 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2018, 07:51 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Does anyone know if the Fukuoka concert was changed from Marine Messe to the Convention Center? Also does anyone know thel location ofthe center I am having trouble with google map.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:53 AM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Why should the Location Change? O.o

Arena Tour 2012 A ~HOTEL Love Songs~ Marine Messe Fukuoka ~ 21.04.2012
Arena Tour 2015 A ~Cirque de Minuit~ Osaka Jo Hall ~ 25.04.2015
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 07.04.2018
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 08.04.2018
25th Anniversary Live Tour ~ Beisia Culture Hall Gunma ~ 04.11.2023
Old 11th May 2018, 12:58 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

“I’m asking because LivePocket mentioned Marine Messe as the location before and now it shows as Fukuoka Convention Center so I don’t know if it changed or if it’s a different name for the same location. If I look them both up, the show in different locations as well.. a couple of streets away from each other.”
Old 11th May 2018, 04:25 PM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Official site still says Marine Messe, and friend posted pics on FB of the truck and booths in front of Marine Messe

Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 07.04.2018
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 08.04.2018
Old 12th May 2018, 05:33 AM
BEST Initiate

I totally would've gone to the convention center today not knowing, thanks for the heads up!

I got B2 arena block...this arena is soooooo small! Every seat is kinda awesome.

Last edited by Yoake; 13th May 2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: double post
Old 12th May 2018, 09:44 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron View Post
I got B2 arena block...this arena is soooooo small! Every seat is kinda awesome.
is the track list same?
Old 12th May 2018, 10:24 AM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinkhew View Post
is the track list same?
The concert isnīt finished yet, itīs only 18.30 in Japan

Old 12th May 2018, 10:58 AM
BEST Initiate

We're at encore break now and the same so far.
Old 12th May 2018, 02:54 PM
BEST Initiate

It was the same for the encore, as well. I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but the performer's interlude was catcher in the light.

She sounded great 95% of the night, with very few exceptions. To her vocal critics - I know she has better and worse performances, but I do think she takes her vocals seriously. I saw Namie, Koda Kumi, and Ayu in this trip and Ayu is really the only one that relies on background singers and doesn't use a significant backing track. Honestly at times you could barely hear Namie over her backing track, and during some songs when it poked through it was sour notes (other slower songs where she used less of a track were great though). Koda Kumi also uses one heavily and while she has really strong belts and a versatile voice, she also has her share of misses. I was really impressed with her overall.

I also think the tracklist was very intentional, with the songs before/after Micce sang diary. Remembering back to her TA post about not singing it and placing it after Secret in another tour because it was like the current her singing to the her that has died. I don't have a full theory baked yet, but I think the songs were pulled for lyrical meaning. It was a really dark tour by and large, for lack of a better explanation.
Old 12th May 2018, 03:02 PM
Far away Initiate

Thank you so much for your review, voltron.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the concert.

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Old 12th May 2018, 05:13 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
She sounded great 95% of the night, with very few exceptions. To her vocal critics - I know she has better and worse performances, but I do think she takes her vocals seriously. I saw Namie, Koda Kumi, and Ayu in this trip and Ayu is really the only one that relies on background singers and doesn't use a significant backing track. Honestly at times you could barely hear Namie over her backing track, and during some songs when it poked through it was sour notes (other slower songs where she used less of a track were great though). Koda Kumi also uses one heavily and while she has really strong belts and a versatile voice, she also has her share of misses. I was really impressed with her overall.
Yep. I always go into Ayu the last several years with measured expectations; I know she isn't going to sound completely amazing anymore, but what I am always impressed with is that she is indeed live most of the time.

We were at the same Namie show. And yeah, the backing track was pretty strong (stronger than usual because I've seen her many times as well), and she did indeed struggle with the higher notes, particularly, of her older songs like Don't Wanna Cry, You're My Sunshine etc.
Old 12th May 2018, 08:59 PM
starting over Initiate

Quote:
It was the same for the encore, as well. I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but the performer's interlude was catcher in the light.

I also think the tracklist was very intentional, with the songs before/after Micce sang diary. Remembering back to her TA post about not singing it and placing it after Secret in another tour because it was like the current her singing to the her that has died. I don't have a full theory baked yet, but I think the songs were pulled for lyrical meaning. It was a really dark tour by and large, for lack of a better explanation.
I have noticed this, but to be fair koda and namie dance and move around on stage more. But ayu is live compared to them.
Old 13th May 2018, 01:02 AM
BEST Initiate

^ Absolutely, I totally get why they do it, and I'm not knocking either of their talents at all! I just think the backing track hides a lot of flaws, and Ayu doesn't always have that level of "safety" (though she has used it more with some recent songs like TSMGO, WARNING, etc.)
Old 13th May 2018, 02:19 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

They use a loud back track so it can cover inevitable vocal fails that will happen during choreography. Ayu doesn't use as much choreo so she doesn't need it.

Sometimes she does have her backing up singers to overpower her voice on purpose for the same reason, like 1Love during Future Classics

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 13th May 2018, 10:39 AM
Sky high Protector

Thanks for your review voltron. I would be interested by your theory if you mature it someday.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:13 PM
Initiate

Quote:

She sounded great 95% of the night, with very few exceptions. To her vocal critics - I know she has better and worse performances, but I do think she takes her vocals seriously. I saw Namie, Koda Kumi, and Ayu in this trip and Ayu is really the only one that relies on background singers and doesn't use a significant backing track.
I agree with this assessment. Just got back from Marine Messe and I was very impressed with her voice tonight. I tried to keep off the thread until I saw her so it wouldn't ruin too much. I did catch posts that some people said she was totally off and the tour was lazily put together. If you're comparing this to Cirque de Minuit, then yes, most of her tours would probably seem somewhat lazy in comparison. To be honest I was a tad disappointed just because she called it power of music and teased the string section. I was so excited to see a redux of the original power of music and then it was revealed to be totally different stage, orchestra-less.

Petty annoyances like that aside, I enjoyed it immensely. As voltron stated she was hitting the notes 95% + of the time. And I noticed she actually went lower on some of the notes for Forgiveness, I'm guessing she either couldn't or didn't think she could hit those particular notes that are regularly very high, but it worked and she did really well with that song, besides a few rough notes at the beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed the arrangements for the songs. Arrangement Highlights for me were evolution and Surreal plus the interlude. I love the classical arrangement of Catcher in the Light (again too bad not with the orchestra), though I really loved the entire setlist, minus one song I'm not familiar enough with to name.

In terms of the actual show, I was just shy of first row A block, so almost as close as one could be. And I mostly had either Princess or Yongae right in front of me (which I loved). Timmy didn't annoy me as much as usual, so that was alright. To be fair I had to leave and come back because I was soaked from the rain, had to go home and change and then rush like crazy to get back in time. Somehow I made it about 5 minutes before the official start time, but once I actually got to my seat I was able to start getting into it and ultimately had a great time, even if I did get hit in the face by the ball thrown by a dancer which the girl behind me got.

(To Voltron' earlier part regarding Namie. I noticed also that the background vocals really swallowed her live ones. Plus I think there was something wrong with the mic for the first third of the show I saw because it was giving weird feedback problems)

Last edited by AJFmzk; 13th May 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 14th May 2018, 06:39 PM
Two of us Initiate

I also managed to see her in Fukuoka. I agree this tour is very scaled back from her usual arena tours. But I still enjoyed it. As mentioned by some the focus is mostly on lyrics of songs that reflects her careers. You really have to get in the mood to feel her emotions. Many people in my block especially girls were in tears throughout the concert. My favourites are ASF XX and HBYA.

She did sound good especially on the 2nd night. Only problem was during TO BE, she really struggles hitting that high notes. The 'fake' crying didnt bother me much. I guess you got used to it and expect for it

Overall this tour seems more intimate and personal from Ayu.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:32 AM
rainy day Initiate

I posted a comment about max matsurra's tweet on ayu and the concerns Japanese fans are having in the social media thread.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:28 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

I wonder how Max possibly talking to Ayu might impact her coming shows?

Signature presented by the amazing majrakun <3 thanks photobucket
MY
Twitter | last.fm | Facebook | Tumblr

Old 15th May 2018, 12:58 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Well I think ayu is trying concepts that are supposed to appear grand. But they look cheap because it seems like she doesnt go full out and I really think it is a budget issue because of the career point she is at. Her more simplistic concepts seem higher quality lately because she can actually execute it without it looking cheaper than it's supposed to be because it's already cheap. I wouldn't mind simplicity but I think this is not what the fans are looking for.

So while there are some things max can discuss with ayu, I think a lot of problems are related to avex as well.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Closed Thread

Tags
20th anniversary, arena tour 2018, power of music