Ayumi in SLT = oh, another GaGa copy? - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 26th March 2010, 04:30 PM
until that Day… Initiate

i don't think Ayu is GAGA-ish on Slt PV..
since she's not that weird, it's the models who're weird..
where GAGA always the one who looks weird, dressing weird in her PVs, where Ayu is not weird at all..
Old 26th March 2010, 10:34 PM
winding road Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
It looks more like copy from Christina Aguilera's outfit in Fighter PV... One bad thing about ourselves PV, unfortunately.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:18 PM
Initiate

^ Funny, those two songs actually came out pretty much the exact same time, Ayumi's single being released one month later than Christina's... It would have to be coincidence, then. (Unless one of the PV's came out a lot earlier than the singles and the other PV?)
But yeah, it does look very similar.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:23 PM
No way to say Initiate

Ayu is her own person! She's been doing this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Gaga And it's not like Gaga doesn't copy other artists' styles (>_<)
Old 28th March 2010, 04:12 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

don't get me wrong, i like gaga's music but in her videos she always looks like a superficial, lost and degenerate prostitute
she is more than a great fashion show..she is the reflection of the decadence of our world, the lost of the values of our specie.
GaGa is like the result of the last and bizzarre days of our civilization.

ayumi obviusly is waaaaay different than that

Last edited by perfectodub; 28th March 2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 28th March 2010, 05:32 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

^Yes, obviously.

Most of Gaga's actions are parodies and full of satire, meant to be reflections of the things in our culture people don't want to pay attention to.

Having said that, I don't think Ayu and Gaga are all that different at all...in fact they're pretty similar. They're just different in how they go about things. Ayu chooses to cloud her intentions through subtle imagery and metaphors. Gaga throws it in your face.

But I guess that's what's most important to people right? Appearances. Forget trying to understand anything...she looks like she's being a ho, she's trashy and a degenerate prostitute and the picture of the lost values of our species.

Grow up. Our species didn't know anything about itself until now. Now is when everyone is finally choosing the right path, the harder path, of looking at ourselves and actually understanding who we are.

All the old rules and traditions are becoming outdated...And rightfully so. However, the ones that should stick...will.

Gaga is only giving you a mirror to look into. I think Ayu does the same a lot as well, and that her PVs would be much more sensational if the tradition in Japan wasn't just to stfu and smile.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 28th March 2010, 06:07 AM
And Then Initiate

emiko, that is a really interesting post.
However, I don't think it is creative to be flamboyant or too easy. Lady gaga tells you her purpose immediately. How boring, to me anyway. Other singers might chose to be subtle so we can think about it for days. This is my preference. of course, you think otherwise.

But, how did you feel about RULE and SPARKLE PV?
I understood her story in one watch... disappointed.
Old 28th March 2010, 06:37 AM

Why isn't it creative? What is creativity? Who gets to decide?

Yeah, it's just preference. I personally, don't mind. Sometimes the symbolism overload in Ayu's PVs is just stupid to me lol Like my friend said about the BALLAD PV, "The trees are cardboard? Are they symbolic of real trees?" lol

I don't really think otherwise, I just think it's important to try to understand things from a point of view that isn't really always my own. I mean, I always try to understand a work of art from the view of the artist, you know, and what is going on inside their heads.

When something is really blatant and in your face, it makes me think about why the artist felt they had to go about it that way. What in our society makes it uncomfortable for all these things to be shoved in our faces? Why can't we just get over it?

Gaga definitely has a flamboyance about her and her messages are really easy to understand...but...they're still really hard for people to accept, and for me, when I look at what she does, that's what's most important...so a lot of other things, I think, I can forgive.

I liked RULE and Sparkle...they were fun lol They had the feel of being just another set of PVs in her repertoire...but I do enjoy her messages. I dont think they were necessarily GREAT...but they werent bad, or average...they were certainly better than some of her other recent PVs lol I wasn't disappointed...

I don't really look at her PVs in that way...like, I want them to be all deep and whatever. I really just want to be entertained. For me, sometimes, being deep all the time and having a message can get boring, especially if you're not entertaining with how you go about presenting it.

Like GREEN...omg that could have had such a monumental message in it...but I was so bored...I really didn't care lol

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

Old 28th March 2010, 07:06 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

About Ayu deep subtle messages... after watching all of her videos, IMO tons of times there wasn't hidden deep messages... only aesthetical choices that people around here found bizarre and tried so hard to "understand" that they give it a "meaning"

I mean, after I saw some people saying JEWEL pv was deep, I lost faith in humanity (and gained faith on ayu fans' creativity xD)

Sometimes, pretty stuff are meant to be just pretty, bizarre stuff are meant to be just bizarre, and that's nothing wrong with it

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 28th March 2010, 07:15 AM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
Ayu chooses to cloud her intentions through subtle imagery and metaphors. Gaga throws it in your face.
this..

really made my day!

thanks emiko!

LOVE ya!

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another...

Old 28th March 2010, 07:29 AM
And Then Initiate

To emiko,

In my view, if someone can tell the purpose of your art immediately, it is not creative. I demand my mind be stressed. I want to imagine and have many different conclusions. Here is the dictionary definition of creativity.

Quote:
the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
It favors both your view and mine, doesn't it? Who really does decide what creativity is? For now, it will just individual opinions, right? :>

I'm sorry, but perhaps your friend should think a bit more... I got an impression she or he is unimaginative and simple but I never want to think that of someone. I challenge him or her to think just a little more ^^ What could artificial trees mean? Trees can represent growth. Better yet, a tree with no leaves can represent death. What could she possibly mean by a leafless tree made of cardboard? Oh! the mind goes wild!!

The reason for her method is a different subject. So, you believe because society is fearful of taboos that are simply a part of human nature, artists like Lady Gaga are inclined to be flamboyant? I strongly agree! However, she will never satisfy people who don't care for "lower" art. This is sensual to you, but uninspiring to me. Of course, you might call my "high" art a "low" art too. Hehe...

I understand. Fun is an important element of life. GREEN was so-so! The purpose was too obvious. If midori (how cute... name of her dancer is green!) and Ayumi didn't do a romantic dance but only shared a few intimate glances, I would have been intrigued. She should have excluded Gomi and Shuya, too. Don't misunderstand me, I am a gay person, but it was so silly. Whatever!

Last edited by microphone; 28th March 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 28th March 2010, 07:58 AM

I don't think it necessarily means they have to be flamboyant, but I think a lot of times it does push people that way...but with all this, I mean, it's really hard to have general statements because, every person is different and every artist has a different way of presenting their art.

I think the fear of taboos are essential for Gaga because it's something she presents herself around.

About high and low art...well, what I've found is that, it's kind of hard to really explain that to people. In painting, a lot of people describe it as the difference between creating illustration, and then someone creating new ideas on a canvas. Example: Thomas Kinkade versus someone like Marcel Duchamp.

I don't really divide art into what's easy and hard to understand, and I don't divide creativity that way either.

In presenting her purpose, I don't really think Gaga is preoccupied with trying to be artistic in a way that it will make people think and interpret what she is trying to say. IMO her main goal is to portray herself and what always made her feel unwelcome and uncomfortable in the world that we live in.

However with Ayu, I think a lot of times, that's exactly what she wants. And a lot of artists are that way. They want you to think, and try to figure it out, or they want you to think and interpret for yourself, and that's cool too.

Both ways for me have their merits, so I don't really mind either one. In this case, person to person, it will always come down to personal preference. But I think it's important for people to realise that neither one is really better than the other, just different.

Just like people and PVs. Some people always want the really deep, hidden meanings, disguised symbol PVs, and other people just want them to be entertaining and fun and stuff. I see this in conventional art too. I work and study in a gallery right now, and it's interesting. We'll have works in, and you always have a mix of opinions, but one thing I noticed is that some people, like to understand what they see like, instantly, and if they don't, they hate the work...and then other people, will love all the mystery and it really amplifies what they see, and makes them like it more.

I find that divide really interesting, and it happens like with every show we have lol

For PVs...I'm a balance person. I like both...I think Ayu has a good balance of deep and not so deep PVs lol and, for me at least, Gaga mixes them those ideas together in her PVs...

and I agree! I think GREEN would have worked better without the dance as well. It was so cheesy too! Or they could have had another scene with the two of them, or something...whatever! lol it failed.

(oh and about my friend...yeah...he's not an artsy person...he likes to see something and understand it immediately lol)

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

Last edited by emi♡; 28th March 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 29th March 2010, 04:48 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
I mean, it's really hard to have general statements because, every person is different and every artist has a different way of presenting their art.
absolutely. I enjoy to hear your thoughts. But it seems like only a conversation between you and me.
You listen to many different thoughts at the art gallery, don't you? How lucky
Old 29th March 2010, 07:38 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

microphone, it's such a delight to have users like you at AHS!

So imaginative! And willing to see beyond that's actually there when it comes to Ayu!

***Sorry if this has nothing to do with Ayu and GaGa, I just feel as though I've already said my piece about the comparisons about Sexy little things and etc. earlier on in the thread.

I love the quote in the post by all.night.raver. -hides-

Last edited by truehappiness; 29th March 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 29th March 2010, 08:26 AM
rainy day Initiate

My friend showed me this and I thought it'd be PERFECT to stick in this thread:

I think that should put a stop to people saying GaGa is not original and rips off fashion/earlier artists (David Bowie or whatever was mentioned).
Old 29th March 2010, 08:33 AM
neverending dream Initiate

^ I love that~
Old 29th March 2010, 09:32 AM
Will Initiate

^^ That's pretty nice to end this thread

I AM ESSITED! Taeyeon Thank you miroro

code:exoaffxtionnanaseven

Old 29th March 2010, 07:35 PM
fairyland Initiate

because of our nature, we're always a copy of something (we're the genetic copy of our relatives, isn't it?). Ideas don't born from nothing, we're everyday influnced by everything. If we don't learn from others we cannot formulate anything new.

Maybe just God created something from anything, right? LOL

It's like every popstar shoul be accused to copy Madonna..the masters are an inspiration, a starting point, a help to find ourselves.

thanks allnightraver for sharing that piece

~thanks pepper for the set~
Old 29th March 2010, 11:57 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.night.raver View Post
My friend showed me this and I thought it'd be PERFECT to stick in this thread:

I think that should put a stop to people saying GaGa is not original and rips off fashion/earlier artists (David Bowie or whatever was mentioned).
And put a stop to those that say Ayumi is copying GaGa, no? It works both ways.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:41 AM
Liar Initiate

Why is everyone so hung up on this? The benefits are mutual for the artists involved here. Lady Gaga is the hot topic now so naturally, Ayu's camp will take notice and be "inspired" by it at least to some extent....Likewise back before Gaga really hit it big, she had some theatrics similar to what Ayu does in her tours...why is it so wrong for two to be inspired by each other?

Tags
ayumi, fashion, hamasaki ayumi, lady gaga, sexy little things