[News] Ayu to perform at Music Station 31 March - Page 22 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 8th April 2017, 04:52 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianghua View Post
Man, I can't tell you how many times people have said the same exact thing to me when I mention I like her.
At least people didn't ask "is she still alive?"

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 8th April 2017, 05:35 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikku1994 View Post
Man... Ya'll are acting like it's the end of the world and some of ya'll are getting on each others nerves. A little criticism is never too bad, but everyone here manages to over analyze a bad performance and post a college essay on how bad she was and denounce fans who liked it.

Like smoke a cigarette, get some d*ck or light up some scented candles. Jesus christ...
Old 8th April 2017, 06:16 AM
still alone Initiate

^I got a kick out of that too.
Old 8th April 2017, 07:29 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotora View Post
At least people didn't ask "is she still alive?"
That would be truly depressing
Old 8th April 2017, 08:07 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaristos View Post

All of her recent released have been rushed, songs being written and recorded in only a couple days, all of her videos being single-shot (this is not an aesthetic decision anymore, it's just lazy). Every single song sounds like something she could have done at any time in her career, every single picture simply shows "Ayumi Hamasaki being pretty in a cute dress while standing in front of a pastel-coloured background."
Unfortunately, the industry has changed to the point where CD+DVD do not sell in volumes anymore. I don't think it's Ayu's fault, as I have not seen ANY visually impressive PVs across any J-pop artists nowadays. There's no money in PV making, and so they pulled back on those investments. People aren't buying albums as much, so booklets also suffer. Since Ayu is such a visual artist, a lot of those arts are now lost due to industry changes
Old 8th April 2017, 08:22 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Maybe it's a thing about different tastes, but some PVs you name it "cheap" are very well planned and executed to me. I could say clips from Last Minute, FLOWER, Mad World, Sayonara, Zutto..., Step by step and Melody are some of her best alongside with her previous works, in terms of aesthetics, concept or both. Even the hated crossroad is one of her most interesting PVs with the theme of public image and self-awareness.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 9th April 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 8th April 2017, 09:19 PM
BEST Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
Maybe it's a thing about different tastes, but some PVs you name it "cheap" are very well planned and executed to me. I could say clips from Last Minute, FLOWER, Mad World, Sayonara, Zutto..., Step by step and Melody are some of her best alongside with her previous works, in terms of aesthetics, concept or both. Even the hated crossroad is one of her most interesting PVs with the theme of public image and self-awareness.
crossroad is one my favourite songs and so the PV is too...
the aesthetics are really good done here...

BTW: I quoted you the 3rd time in a row lol

concerts i've attended:
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.07
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.08
Old 8th April 2017, 09:24 PM
appears Initiate

For me FLOWER is her best PV in years, full of anger and... drama, which I love. I watch that PV at least twice a week.
Old 8th April 2017, 10:31 PM
Daybreak Guardian

FLOWER has a nice concept and she executes it very well, but her look at the end of the video destroyed it for me...
Old 9th April 2017, 03:17 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I actually miss fun videos like BLUE BIRD...

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 9th April 2017, 03:21 AM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
I actually miss fun videos like BLUE BIRD...
I feel you.

I guess if she releases something fun and light it might easily become a hit.

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 9th April 2017, 05:15 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

I really enjoyed the Summer diary PV tbh
Old 9th April 2017, 06:45 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I thought it was a rather good PV (and song as well... same goes for basically all of sixxxxxx IMO) too and a good direction for her videos to go in after Colours.
Old 9th April 2017, 08:26 PM
JEWEL Initiate

The performance was not that bad but it wasn't great either. I have never been the biggest fan of her TV performances anyway. She always seems so constrained.

But is it just me or does she sound sick? She's prone to illness so that could be why she was having any off day.
Old 9th April 2017, 09:07 PM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
^RAINBOW had that special web page about the concept, didn't it?
A Ballads had one too. I wish we could have a page like that with information on all her albums!
Old 11th April 2017, 12:01 AM
A Song for XX Initiate

I've been a fan of hers since 2005, so thinking of her back then and how much simpler her performances tended to be made me want something akin to this. However, I'm also disappointed in how it doesn't seem like she's all in anymore.
I admired Ayumi because even though she didn't plan on being a singer, or wasn't extremely extroverted or as capable as her contemporaries were with vocals she always seemed to put the effort in. She was in control of her image and her lyrics.
The Ayu I saw in this live was just ...floundering. The song choice wasn't the best, the outfit and hair weren't the best, and her voice wasn't the best (which can be attributed to sickness/her deafness but still). But the largest disappointment was how much overacting there was. I just can't connect to the Ayu from today because it tends to feel really forced. I know that we all have changed and I try not to be hard on her, but at the end of the day she's a performer and this performance was really bad. Really bad. While I do like her musical direction from 2005 onwards and beluevebits improved after A One, I just feel like I'm making excuses due to nostalgia.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:03 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The song choice IMO was probably the 'better' part of this. I mean TO BE and ourselves (first time on MS) after years of mostly SEASONS/M/evolution/etc.?
Old 11th April 2017, 12:19 AM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinHamasaki View Post
Unfortunately, the industry has changed to the point where CD+DVD do not sell in volumes anymore. I don't think it's Ayu's fault, as I have not seen ANY visually impressive PVs across any J-pop artists nowadays. There's no money in PV making, and so they pulled back on those investments. People aren't buying albums as much, so booklets also suffer. Since Ayu is such a visual artist, a lot of those arts are now lost due to industry changes
True however even with a small budget one can make a PV work if they want to. Mad world or Zutto turned out well but Angel and XOXO were a total joke. Whether its a PV, album cover or booklet, outfit etc I think its all about being able to look at a final project objectively and I question of Ayu or her team has that ability despite 15+ years in the industry.
I can't blame the industry's changes for the way things are because there are TONS of visual artists without Ayu's resources who are able to put out great work and PVs without compromising their image or vision.
Old 11th April 2017, 01:31 AM
Daybreak Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
I thought it was a rather good PV (and song as well... same goes for basically all of sixxxxxx IMO) too and a good direction for her videos to go in after Colours.
sixxxxxx was amazing, I loved everything about it. It's very diverse but cohesive at the same time. Plus, I love the EP format when it's done properly (unlike LOVE and again ).

"Summer diary" is adorable, and I think "Shape of love" is one of her best songs in recent years (for some reason it reminds me of some of her old songs, like "ever free.")
Old 11th April 2017, 01:36 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
True however even with a small budget one can make a PV work if they want to. Mad world or Zutto turned out well but Angel and XOXO were a total joke. Whether its a PV, album cover or booklet, outfit etc I think its all about being able to look at a final project objectively and I question of Ayu or her team has that ability despite 15+ years in the industry.
I can't blame the industry's changes for the way things are because there are TONS of visual artists without Ayu's resources who are able to put out great work and PVs without compromising their image or vision.
Most of the Colours PV were directed by Ayu herself and her team... We can't really expect much from people trying a new ability for the first time, but this kind of experience changes her perspective and level of understanding while talking to directors in the future. So far the post Colours pvs were pretty much interesting, and this little experience probably has to do with it.

edit: I also find the PVs from Colours to be pretty bad in general too... I just think it's not a testment of anything other than her trying to take more creative control over her work.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 11th April 2017 at 06:47 AM.

Tags
music station, tv show