What's with the hate? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 10th October 2016, 10:29 PM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

What's with the hate?

I just wondered. I read an article about her getting divorced and there were almost all negative comments. I don't get it? I feel really sad for her, because I think she's really a romantic and it must hurt a lot. I don't watch much news stuff about her but from what I have seen she seems genuine and funny, not fake or arrogant, or am I wrong?

I was also just wondering if anyone is like me: I don't really care that her music changed and went a little down hill, it just doesn't matter. If she's doing what she likes I'm happy. I'm also insanely proud of her, just about everything. The way she's survived so much tragedy and pushed on, she's so inspiring and I'm so happy I was born in a time when I could hear her.
Old 19th January 2017, 03:49 AM
PAPER DOLL Initiate

Ayu doesn't deserve any kind of hate. She's a genuine artist. I met her when she visited LA in 2010 and she treated the fans like royalty. I have never seen any celebrity treat their fans as nice as Ayu treats her fans.
Old 19th January 2017, 11:43 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

She built a very diva persona, and in her prime that might not have been a bad thing, but now that she's older, a lot of people have absolutely no sympathy for her.

She's a bit like Mariah Carey now. Constantly being remember for old hits and records, and being torn down about anything new.

She's gone about life very different from a "normal" female entertainer. No steady marriage, no kids, being youth oriented instead of "growing up", still being very public, speaking her mind, etc.

I think that without Max at the head of her career she was left with not a very good group of staff. At least with aiming hey in the progressive direction.

Unfortunately I believe she's beyond "saving"--mostly because what she's best at is traditional J-POP. And that's not really trendy now.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 19th January 2017, 11:43 PM
appears Initiate

To me, she seems like a genuine kind person. I haven't got the pleasure to meet her like the user above (AyuConcertInLosAngelesPlease... lol), but in Youtube there are hundred of videos where Ayumi interacts with fans at the airport, street, etc. and she's really gentle and sweet. That's the impression I have about "Ayu".
As for people hating, I really don't mind them. Like the Twitter user who called her "pig", he/she created a fake account and didn't have the guts to show his/her real face or name. Or like the users who hate her on Girls Channel, cause they can't forgive her for breaking up with Tomoya lol

Last edited by Cahz-; 19th January 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 20th January 2017, 02:16 PM
still alone Initiate

It doesn't make sense to us because most of the strong fans are close to Ayu and follow her and know what she is really like. But some casual fans and people who do not know her see a glamorous diva queen.
The catch is that whenever Ayu tries to tone it down people become disappointed and unsatisfied. They want bigger and better every year. Ayu is somewhat trapped inside her diva pop star persona. She kind of has to keep up appearances. No matter what she does, someone will be unhappy and have something negative to say.
The other problem is that Ayu has decided not to follow trends and make music she is interested in. I believe that once the whole idol group and Kyary trend dies out, there may be a renewed interest in what Ayu is doing.
The best we can do really is just mind our business and enjoy what Ayu does.
Old 22nd January 2017, 04:45 AM
UNITE! Initiate

There wasn't one specific action or event that can be pinpointed as the source of the hate but it was a lot of different things over a long period of time that made people dislike her. But in short she's a self absorbed diva that's difficult to work with.
Old 22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

Is she difficult to work with? Or is she controlling? I remember watching something like 10 years ago that said she has a hand in everything; her image, the performances, what photos anyone uses, etc. That's controlling, but I don't think it makes her difficult, I think it makes her more of an artist to be involved in what is presented about her.

The way she interacts with her dancers/musicians doesn't seem like they hate working with her or anything, they seem close.

On another note, is there any benefit to teamayu membership?
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:48 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

At the time she was more popular she was also at most hated celebrities list

Hate comes with fame, it's natural that the more people know about you, the more people dislike you (and also the more people like you)

The same happened with AKB members, they are no longer famous and no longer on the most hated list

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 23rd January 2017, 04:26 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
The same happened with AKB members, they are no longer famous and no longer on the most hated list
How come they're no longer famous? It's pretty evident (for soloists) they're not racking up #1, but why?
Old 24th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Daybreak Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
She built a very diva persona, and in her prime that might not have been a bad thing, but now that she's older, a lot of people have absolutely no sympathy for her.

She's a bit like Mariah Carey now. Constantly being remember for old hits and records, and being torn down about anything new.
Quote:

Exactly. Especially for Japanese people, I find that it's even harder for them to like and relate to a "diva" persona. I think it's expected from female entertainers to stay as quiet as possible, be polite, never speak up their minds, and age gracefully. I tend to like certain recklessly in artists, but the older Ayu gets the more people think she can't pull off that recklessly anymore. She's a rebel by nature, and while we appreciate her for being herself and standing up for what she believes, the masses will just tear her down anytime they have the opportunity to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
At the time she was more popular she was also at most hated celebrities list

Hate comes with fame, it's natural that the more people know about you, the more people dislike you (and also the more people like you)
Yes! I remember when Kumi was a top-selling artist and she was also hated (even before the scandal). We all have to remember that people love to hate artists--it's like a hobby. Even if you never get involved in any scandal, people will find something about it to write about, especially in social media.
Old 25th January 2017, 12:15 AM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsienko View Post
There wasn't one specific action or event that can be pinpointed as the source of the hate but it was a lot of different things over a long period of time that made people dislike her. But in short she's a self absorbed diva that's difficult to work with.
The only moment I remember seeing her bossy was in A BEST era where she was shown on camera when she was pissed about her and her staff being kept on waiting (can't remember exactly what was the fuss was about that time). The same can be said when she was early on kanariya sets to make sure everything is according to plans.

To be honest, this more gave me the impression that she actually cared for the quality of her work but I can understand, with her diva image nowadays, why she would be "disliked" (seems unfair to me but whatever lol)
Old 27th January 2017, 08:45 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think a lot of people hated Ayu because she was everywhere. And with that came a lot of rumors of her being a diva and so on. As far as I've seen, when people have met her it isn't really the case.

Nowadays it's a combination of being around for so long from the very beginning and the fact that she only seems to get into the news due to 'drama'.
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:03 PM
YOU Initiate

I do not understand why anyone would dislike her or say anything bad about her...

She's a genuine and hard working artist.

She's also a very sweet and sensitive person from what I've seen and heard.

I think 'haters' talking rubbish about ayu says more about what kind of person they are...
Old 24th April 2017, 01:16 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

I don't think many people hate her, they just don't care.

TWICE

Old 25th April 2017, 01:44 PM
ourselves Initiate

Quote:
I think that without Max at the head of her career she was left with not a very good group of staff. At least with aiming hey in the progressive direction.
hmm what do you meant by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahz- View Post
To me, she seems like a genuine kind person. I haven't got the pleasure to meet her like the user above (AyuConcertInLosAngelesPlease... lol), but in Youtube there are hundred of videos where Ayumi interacts with fans at the airport, street, etc. and she's really gentle and sweet. That's the impression I have about "Ayu".
As for people hating, I really don't mind them. Like the Twitter user who called her "pig", he/she created a fake account and didn't have the guts to show his/her real face or name. Or like the users who hate her on Girls Channel, cause they can't forgive her for breaking up with Tomoya lol
I met her in Paris back in 2012 and that was the greatest moment in my life! trust me when I say she is the nicest and down to earth famous celeb that I've met. the first day, we were waiting in front of the hotel and when she got back, she sent her staff, Louis Ishii to tell us that Ayu will meet us later after she got some rest in her room and she did also sent her staff again to to tell us to stay safe and keep warm. she is really excited to meet fans and really treat us nicely The second day, after reading our tweets, she came down in the morning just to meet everyone before we catch our train back for works and school

so yeah, a short story of how nice she was when I met her. I think it is normal when you are super famous you will get a bunch of fans and a bunch of haters

and seriously they hate her for breaking up with Nagase? like we didnt even know the reason why they broke up I honestly believe Ayu was the happiest when they were together?

Miisan I remember that in The 2004 Documentary, during that time Ayu had so many photoshoots scheduled to promote A Best, and that one day she and her staffs had to wait for the magazine staffs (?) before they can begin shooting, Ayu had already her clothe changed,and all her been waiting too, and she didnt get any explanation why they had to wait,Ayu said she many other things to do later. lol that was during her prime and she was really strict and controlling her works, I can imagine that though with the pressure etc
Old 4th May 2017, 09:53 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Putting Ayu into a box and saying shes a diva bitch or an angel is so one dimensional! I'm sure she has moments of both. Shes pretty open about the fact that she is still kind of a child. I'll never forget meeting her in New York. One day she was glamorous and calm and so sweet to all the fans. The next day she was really sick and the fans were very pushy and she ran to her bodyguard like a 5 year old and ran back into the hotel clearly pissed. It just depends on the day!

But yeah the public hate is just basic hate without any real depth. People don't know or get her so of course they are gonna label her as a diva and spew hate because thats the fake image they get of her. Its like people who don't know Lady Gaga and assume she's an alien creature as she portrayed herself exclusively early on in her music videos.

Last edited by Evolution7/4; 4th May 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 29th August 2017, 11:17 AM
I am... Initiate

With fame comes hate. Easy as that.

There're the people who like another artists, mostly artists of the same generation like Hikaru, Namie or Kumi, and because they see them as rivals they don't like Ayu.

Some people don't like her personality. During her early days she was viewed as stupid, because of the way she talks. She comes across as really shy and introverted and isn't a good talker (she says so herself), so some people might view her as slow and stupid.

Also, it seems that she has to pay because she dared to become older (I'm being ironic, by the way). When I watched the interview between GACKT and her, the most recent one, someone was commenting on her awful laughing voice and someone replied that she always laughed like that, only that people "forgave" her because she was young and cute.

Then there're the former fans. Because former fans are often the worst haters. To sum it up she probably doesn't fit into the scheme some people want to put "Hamasaki Ayumi" in, so they hate on her.
Or the haters who never liked her, but have to comment on everything she's doing. I swear some haters are more passionate than some fans. lol

There's also the fact that her release schedules and everything changed dramatically. Could you imagine such a large break like between We are the QUEENS and now 15 years ago? lol So it's kind of like someone mentioned, these days when she's in the news it's mostly because of "scandals". Some people might see her as someone who doesn't make any music anymore and has to live of scandals to have anyone talking about her.

That should be the main points.

「浜崎あゆみ」であること
”歌う”ということ
それは”生きる”ということ

SCawaii May 2008

矛盾だらけの こんな私でも
許されますか 教えてよ

浜崎あゆみ 「I am...」