[Charts & Rankings] Recochoku 2009 Yearly Ranking - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 9th December 2009, 11:52 PM
from your letter Initiate

as usual SSS always be doubtfull bout ayu's popularity..
LOL..

if u only look u'll never get it.....

if u only look it'll never be urs.......

Old 9th December 2009, 11:55 PM
walking proud Initiate

^I'm just posting readily available facts. I didn't even say anything bad or draw any conclusions. People are free to look at the data and draw whatever conclusion they want or just choose to ignore it.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:56 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

When you look at all of the songs/videos that are available, I highly doubt that many people are really purchasing all of those remix/remix instrumentals/video clips...
Old 10th December 2009, 12:00 AM
walking proud Initiate

^ What then do you use to explain the disparity between those that placed higher than her this year in Chaku Uta and Chaku Uta Full, but did not place as highly on the overall chart? (not just other female artists either, but in general) Shouldn't that mean that her position on the overall chart is in fact mostly due to all of those extra things plus her older discography?

And as I state again, that doesn't mean it is a bad thing at all, just that it does give her a distinct advantage.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:00 AM
TO BE Initiate

Why is that impressive for everyone else but not ayu?

Every song of hers has like +10 versions in the chaku uta. And it's not like 1355 of those songs are released at the same time. -_-

Her position is 100% due to Days and Sunrise with a little to Rule this past year. It's not like everyone downloaded all 1355 times from ayu this past year either.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:04 AM
walking proud Initiate

^ I guess my question would be, why wouldn't it be impressive for them?

Imagine if Ayu was the one with only 30 songs available for download and someone else had 1,000+ wouldn't we all be saying "look how awesome Ayu did beating someone with a gazillion more songs than her available for download!" Isn't that natural?

And then my answer to you is the same as above: Yes, Days did pretty excellent this year; but there is no doubt that other things sold better than it did, yet those artists are not in the top of the overall chart. So that makes it clear (at least to me), that yes, the large amount of stuff she has available does play a role in her overall ranking.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 10th December 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:09 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
What then do you use to explain the disparity between those that placed higher than her this year in Chaku Uta and Chaku Uta Full, but did not place as highly on the overall chart?
Songs that perhaps didn't make the top 100 on the charts like Sparkle/NEXT LEVEL/etc.? All Recochoku says is that they take the sales of her Chaku-Uta/Chaku-Uta Full from 12/1/2008 -> 11/30/2009... I know she has a lot of songs in her discography there, but I doubt that people were buying those, as the daily top 100 in that span of time had barely any signs of old Ayu tracks.

Quote:
I'm just posting readily available facts. I didn't even say anything bad or draw any conclusions. People are free to look at the data and draw whatever conclusion they want or just choose to ignore it.
Just the fact that you're posting them seems to suggest that you don't feel that Ayu should be praised when she does well... why else would someone feel that they need to point out that Ayu's entire discography is so much larger and then not mention how the bulk of her total amount is actually made up of remixes and portions of her concerts?

Quote:
Imagine if Ayu was the one with only 30 songs available for download and someone else had 1,000+ wouldn't we all be saying "look how awesome Ayu did beating someone with a gazillion more songs than her available for download!" Isn't that natural?
I wouldn't even think about the total amount of songs/video clips available since for the most part, Ayu's discography of 1300+ didn't come from 2008-2009. It's basically a level playing field [for the most part] since Ayu released about the same amount of new material as everyone else in the same period. Browsing through the 120+ pages of material she has on Recochoku, only 1-2 tracks per page aren't remixes/video clips after all...

Last edited by truehappiness; 10th December 2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:16 AM
walking proud Initiate

^ Yes, and for the singles released 2008-2009 period she was out of the top 20. But when you count in those 1300+ she is in the top 5.... Is my logic really totally off here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Songs that perhaps didn't make the top 100 on the charts like Sparkle/NEXT LEVEL/etc.?
Isn't the same true for every other artist though?

Quote:
Just the fact that you're posting them seems to suggest that you don't feel that Ayu should be praised when she does well... why else would someone feel that they need to point out that Ayu's entire discography is so much larger and then not mention how the bulk of her total amount is actually made up of remixes and portions of her concerts?
Didn't I already praise her saying that Days did extremely well? I'm also not the only one that pointed out the difference in the discographies. And whether it is remixes or concerts or whatever is completely irrelevant, its still there for people to buy isn't it?

I feel like I can't say anything even if I'm not saying something even bad or wrong.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 10th December 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:17 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

if 30% of Ayu's old songs were responsable for her being on that position, that still is a lot...
-
Was 2009 an amazing year for Ayu? Pretty much... Is she popular on Japan? Sure... Is she the most popular? Not really... Most popular female? Not even close...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 10th December 2009, 12:21 AM
TO BE Initiate

No, what I'm saying what constitutes ayu placing so high this past year? It's not evolution or M.

Well that didn't happen so I can't say. But I wouldn't do that. I do see the advantage you speak, but honestly, I don't think songs like Sparkle boost her sales that much.

Well sorry for rambling on and such.

Relatively speaking Ayu released 1 album & 3 singles this year that are being counted. There is a normal chart for who's had the best selling single and this is overall. Thus the more she has, it's her advantage.

Last edited by TeddyGrahams; 10th December 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:24 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
if 30% of Ayu's old songs were responsable for her being on that position, that still is a lot...
-
Was 2009 an amazing year for Ayu? Pretty much... Is she popular on Japan? Sure... Is she the most popular? Not really... Most popular female? Not even close...

Yes, thank you. I agree with your post. And its not a bad thing either because it at least means that people still have a yearning for her old material.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 10th December 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:32 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
I'm also not the only one that pointed out the difference in the discographies. And whether it is remixes or concerts or whatever is completely irrelevant, its still there for people to buy isn't it?
She does have more to buy, but most people who do buy Chaku-Uta are not likely to think of purchasing even 10% of what she has to offer... you take away the remixes and the clips, and have you a number that's more reasonable and closer to the other artists' numbers and probably a truer amount of the ringtones that people actually purchased. [Speaking of which, the video clips have nothing to do with her Chaku-Uta/Full rankings so they shouldn't be counted anyway, haha.]

As for other artists, the separation of their collaborations probably hurt them in the end, since Miliyah Kato and JUJU had big songs that were counted as being from another group. Without a doubt, both of them would've probably ranked higher than Ayu in both rankings had their collaborations been counted, which would account for the two artists ranking lower than Ayu despite having higher rankings on the individual charts.

Last edited by truehappiness; 10th December 2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:44 AM
walking proud Initiate

^ You are right collaborations could account for at least some of the disparity, but in the overall chart, all artists count - not just women and there were a number of artists ahead of Ayu in the Chaku Uta and Chaku Uta full and not all of them were collaborations. So I don't really see that as a fully adequate explanation of why the disparity exists. So I definitely think the large number of things she has plays a fairly significant role (or at least significant enough to put her in the top 5 overall) But its obvious what my viewpoint is by now I guess, lol.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 10th December 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:52 AM
Liar Initiate

Oh well it just means its avex and their evil marketing strategies! I mean exile has quite a few more songs than others too and they're avex. Sure it doesn't really say that she had a whole bunch of hits this year or anything. But at least people are still buying her stuff

FlavorsCD CollectionNana Mizuki Forum
Old 10th December 2009, 12:57 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
but in the overall chart, all artists count - not just women and there were somewhere around 15 or so ahead of Ayu in the Chaku Uta and Chaku Uta full and not all of them were collaborations.
True, but most of the artists that are ahead of her that aren't already ahead of her are female for the most part, haha.

It seems likely to me that the cumulative total of her sales [NEXT LEVEL/new singles only] on Recochoku outdid the other artists' totals and that's what placed her ahead of the rest. I feel as though the 20 or so tracks she had in the past year might've been downloaded more than we expect, but not enough to make the top 100, you know? And then there's the small percentage of people who buy the older material. I guess we'd need to see what the ranking looked like last year to know for sure.

In the 2007 yearly chart though, she was #6 overall, with few tracks in the top 100. JEWEL ranked highest at #50/#46. But that was just "overall"... probably everything counted at once? That was a bit strange, hm. And to add, her half year rankings for this year were pretty similar to the final tally... it doesn't look as though she was featured much on the 2008 yearly chart since she pretty much only had Together When... representing everything, so overall she had a much better year this year than any year before. I wonder if Japan liked the songs more this year? It's sort of sad how Thelma was topping every single chart last year, and now she's barely anywhere to be seen, haha.

http://recochoku.jp/recochoku_rankin...ber/index.html

Find all the yearly rankings near the bottom of the page.

So perhaps we are underestimating the strength of her older material... but if that were the case, her older tracks should at least chart during a daily ranking at some point, so what gives for her to be ranking so highly in the overall Chaku-Uta/Full charts? Hm...

Quote:
Yes, and for the singles released 2008-2009 period she was out of the top 20. But when you count in those 1300+ she is in the top 5.... Is my logic really totally off here?
Perhaps, but having two songs that are in the top 25 might've helped her more than having one song in the top 20... [even if some of those songs did sell a million in Chaku-Uta totals]

Last edited by truehappiness; 10th December 2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 03:39 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Like Sunshine said, even if her old stuff is contributing to this spike, it's not a bad thing. It shows people still have an interest in her after all these years. And as someone pointed out, that 1,300+ Ayu material didn't just appear over night. Many of her songs have been available for years. It's impressive that people with less can hold their own against her, but it's even more impressive (to me at least) that she can hold her own after all these years. Old songs or not, people are still interested enough to buy them. And that's just digital sales. And in Aoyama Thelma's case, she had one (or more?) super big hit and now where is she? All in all, GOOD JOB AYU!
Old 10th December 2009, 04:22 AM
Initiate

Lol, all this talk about Ayumi's popularity again... And what's all this, 'she's not even close to being the most popular female artist in Japan' crap?? The only recent ladies who have been able to ever compare (and really, ever, there's only been one older female artist who could compare, either...) are Hikaru Utada, Kumi Koda and Namie Amuro. Hikki only stands up against her because of how damn likable she is, and the fact that she's a huge icon in general; Namie only stands a chance because she's a sellout with probable connections and amazingly loyal fans. And Kuu, I love her, but, she could only "compare" for two years now. :\ Not to mention, Ayumi has sold much more than any of them. Sure, she's had a lot more songs, but that's beside the point right now. The point is, no matter how much she puts out, in general it's always good and people still want it. (Yes, this was directed towards that ridiculous comment, Andre.)

Last edited by Crystal_Ageha; 10th December 2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 04:26 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Like Sunshine said, even if her old stuff is contributing to this spike, it's not a bad thing. It shows people still have an interest in her after all these years.
That's how I thought of it, but some might twist it to mean that because Ayu has such a large amount of material available via Recochoku, that somehow negates the fact that she's done so well as opposed to someone with only 60-70 tracks on Recochoku. She's done better this year than any other year on this chart, so I think she deserves to rank so high on the overall charts. I wish we knew the certifications of the tracks that we don't know any numbers for though... it'd certainly paint a clearer picture anyway.
Old 10th December 2009, 04:58 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Ageha View Post
Lol, all this talk about Ayumi's popularity again... And what's all this, 'she's not even close to being the most popular female artist in Japan' crap?? The only recent ladies who have been able to ever compare (and really, ever, there's only been one older female artist who could compare, either...) are Hikaru Utada, Kumi Koda and Namie Amuro. Hikki only stands up against her because of how damn likable she is, and the fact that she's a huge icon in general; Namie only stands a chance because she's a sellout with probable connections and amazingly loyal fans. And Kuu, I love her, but, she could only "compare" for two years now. :\ Not to mention, Ayumi has sold much more than any of them. Sure, she's had a lot more songs, but that's beside the point right now. The point is, no matter how much she puts out, in general it's always good and people still want it. (Yes, this was directed towards that ridiculous comment, Andre.)
I love you too dear... wanna have dinner sometime?

--
Ayu was never the most popular singer in Japan... when she was at her peak, so was Hikki, who was (and still is) more popular =)

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 10th December 2009, 04:59 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
That's how I thought of it, but some might twist it to mean that because Ayu has such a large amount of material available via Recochoku, that somehow negates the fact that she's done so well as opposed to someone with only 60-70 tracks on Recochoku. She's done better this year than any other year on this chart, so I think she deserves to rank so high on the overall charts. I wish we knew the certifications of the tracks that we don't know any numbers for though... it'd certainly paint a clearer picture anyway.
Yeah if we had numbers we'd know for sure, because even if someone has 60-70 songs, who's to say Ayu didn't sell 60-70 songs out of her 1,300?

Tags
ayumi, ayumi hamasaki, days, ranking, recochoku