[Article] [Billboard] Japanese Physical Market Declines 3.9% - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 5th February 2009, 02:24 AM
P.S II Initiate

[Billboard] Japanese Physical Market Declines 3.9%

Ayu's record label, Avex Trax came out at No. #1 with 16.1% of the total market share last year.
--------------------------------

Japanese Physical Market Declines 3.9%
February 04, 2009 - Global | Retail

SoundScan Japan released figures for the recorded music market in Japan in 2008 and the results showed a market continuing to decline overall, despite rising sales of domestic repertoire. The figures also put Avex in pole position again based on market share.

SoundScan Japan bases its methodology on data retrieved from 3,300 points-of-sale (via barcode scanning at stores), including sales of international and domestic repertoire. However, the figures do not includes sales of digital downloads or imported discs.

The overall sales totaled 325 billion yen ($3.6 billion) and this was a 3.9% decline on the previous year. The peak of the market in 1998 saw sales generate 586 billion yen ($6.5 billion at present exchange rates).

However, when broken down into totals for international and domestic repertoire, the latter showed a slight improvement from 2007 - up 0.4%. But international repertoire slumped by 19.7% compared to last year's figures. This was the third consecutive year of decline for international repertoire.

As for market share by individual labels, Avex Group Holdings Inc., with its big sellers Exile, Namie Amuro and Ayumi Hamasaki, came out at No. 1 with 16.1% of the total market share (up from 15.4% last year).

This is the second year in a row that Avex has topped the chart and displaced traditional powerhouse Sony Music Entertainment Japan, which tied for second place with Universal Music Japan at 13.9%. This represents a small gain for Universal, up from 13.6%, and a more significant loss in market share for Sony, which had 15% last year.

The 2.2% gap between Avex and its next competitors is a significant gain for the company from last year, when Avex was just 0.4% above Sony.

Source
Old 5th February 2009, 02:26 AM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

haha awesome! ayu have always been a huge seller for avex :luv1
thanks for sharing!
Old 5th February 2009, 02:27 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

oooh interesting. wonder if the physical sales will ever get really high again...those were the days xD thanks for posting this ^^

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 5th February 2009, 02:38 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

... Wow..

Ayu label...

Amazing.... Well, is AVEX good with digital?

Poor Sony... Heh.

Who's in Universal though? I know Utada's album is going to be released under Universal... but, other than that...
Old 5th February 2009, 02:38 AM
Over Initiate

Heh..Ayu and Namie are the huge sellers..that's nice..

FacebookLast.fm TwitterTumblr

Old 5th February 2009, 02:40 AM
rainy day Initiate

Seems like avex's marketing strategies are working extremely well for them. So I guess the multiple versions of singles/albums are here to stay.
Old 5th February 2009, 02:42 AM
count down Initiate

avex are definitely smart with their marketing strategies, and thus maintaining this #1 position. But it's still sad to know the physical CD sales have fallen... I'll learn not to expect too much from sales anymore.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 5th February 2009, 02:45 AM
SURREAL Initiate

I think we're finally entering the digital age...It's kind of sad too because to me, there's nothing more precious than having a physical CD/DVD in my hands. There's just something about unwrapping it and putting in a CD or DVD player for the very first time that's so much more significant than downloading it onto my MP3 player, or streaming it via the Wii.

By 2020, I predict that avex will probably stop releasing physical albums altogether and go completely digital. Hopefully by that time I'll have every single original Ayu-album in my possession, cuz once that happens you can kiss YesAsia's overstock of overseas versions goodbye.
Old 5th February 2009, 02:47 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Thanks for the article Very interesting read.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 5th February 2009, 03:38 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Interesting article! Thanks for sharing... It figures Avex is #1 considering what a big year all three of those artists had...
Old 5th February 2009, 05:25 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Thumbs down [Billboard Business News] Japanese Physical Market Declines 3.9%

Japanese Physical Market Declines 3.9%
February 04, 2009 - Global | Retail

By Rob Schwartz, Tokyo

SoundScan Japan released figures for the recorded music market in Japan in 2008 and the results showed a market continuing to decline overall, despite rising sales of domestic repertoire. The figures also put Avex in pole position again based on market share.

SoundScan Japan bases its methodology on data retrieved from 3,300 points-of-sale (via barcode scanning at stores), including sales of international and domestic repertoire. However, the figures do not includes sales of digital downloads or imported discs.

The overall sales totaled 325 billion yen ($3.6 billion) and this was a 3.9% decline on the previous year. The peak of the market in 1998 saw sales generate 586 billion yen ($6.5 billion at present exchange rates).

However, when broken down into totals for international and domestic repertoire, the latter showed a slight improvement from 2007 - up 0.4%. But international repertoire slumped by 19.7% compared to last year's figures. This was the third consecutive year of decline for international repertoire.

As for market share by individual labels, Avex Group Holdings Inc., with its big sellers Exile, Namie Amuro and Ayumi Hamasaki, came out at No. 1 with 16.1% of the total market share (up from 15.4% last year).

This is the second year in a row that Avex has topped the chart and displaced traditional powerhouse Sony Music Entertainment Japan, which tied for second place with Universal Music Japan at 13.9%. This represents a small gain for Universal, up from 13.6%, and a more significant loss in market share for Sony, which had 15% last year.

The 2.2% gap between Avex and its next competitors is a significant gain for the company from last year, when Avex was just 0.4% above Sony.

Source:

My Facebook: Rocky Raven

Please come and join Amuro-Namie New Forum

Last edited by Rocky Raven; 5th February 2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 5th February 2009, 05:54 AM
Virgin Road Initiate

thanks for the article...

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Old 5th February 2009, 06:35 AM
End of the World Initiate

Thanks for translation the article.
Old 5th February 2009, 06:41 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

thanks for the article

I hear a voice saying "don't give up"
I remember the words
"Your happiness is my happiness"
Old 5th February 2009, 06:44 AM
Because of You Initiate

Of course Avex can top in the market. Look at how this company squeezes milk from its singers / actresses / actors ?

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 5th February 2009, 06:48 AM
Far away Initiate

Ayu's one of their big hitters but definitely not the biggest anymore like she used to be. avex is no longer putting all of their eggs into one basket. EXILE was clearly the artist that gave them the edge over competitors, moving such ridiculous sales and generating ridiculous amounts of revenue. I guess it was a given with that whole 3 best album strategy...on top of that they will go out with a bang by releasing a "best" best albums which includes all 3. Clearly avex was milking EXILE the past year. In '06 and '07 it was Kuu. I wonder what this year will bring.
Old 5th February 2009, 08:00 AM
neverending dream Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisha_Angel View Post
By 2020, I predict that avex will probably stop releasing physical albums altogether and go completely digital. Hopefully by that time I'll have every single original Ayu-album in my possession, cuz once that happens you can kiss YesAsia's overstock of overseas versions goodbye.
That's so depressing

Old 5th February 2009, 08:05 AM
glitter Initiate

hard times for the music industry...

i miss the old good times T_____T

thank u for this article!
Old 5th February 2009, 08:41 AM
ayu trance Initiate

10x
Old 5th February 2009, 10:14 AM
forgiveness Initiate

Ah maaan, cool for avex.

[Video] Key ~eternal tie ver.~_______LJ Blog________[Video] A History
[BIG SALE! Ayu CDs/DVDs/Goods/Ayupans and more!]
AHS married to Maro
~13/1-2010~

Spoiler:
We had such a nice time. We started dating in t2m PV, took it slow you know, let our love grow. Then it got really serious in 2008. Then after AT2009 we moved in together. It was lovely. Then on AT2010 he asked me to marry him. He was such a sweet. And Ayu gave us our blessings. She was also such a sweet. Now me and Maro are such a sweets together. Aaaw, how time flies.

Tags
avex, billboard