Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 19th December 2010, 04:36 AM
Initiate

I had the same feeling. This is pure Ayu, this album -- and yet it's so different! It's so new! The only thing I can think of, as a comparison, is how Dir en grey's "Uroboros" album is so UNIQUE and fascinatingly complex for them as a band, and for music in general -- and yet it's an album that is quintessentially Dir en grey. Love songs is Ayu's Uroboros, in that it's unique and intriguing, but it's not a ridiculous departure that makes it feel forced, risky, or even a flop.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 19th December 2010, 04:52 AM
I am... Initiate

I'm not gonna write a full-length review either, but I still want to voice my opinion

Honestly, I feel like this is definitely her wor...welll, I'll say WEAKEST album. I don't believe Ayu releases anything "bad", so "worst" isn't an appropriate adjective in this discussion. However, I'm a bit disappointed by this album as a whole...the album tracks do little to make up for the weak singles (save for Blossom). Here lately, her songs have seemed to operate around a formula..ever since NEXT LEVEL, the overal genre/arrangements have been bland...not "bland" in a boring sense, but "bland" in a lackluster light.

My favorite tracks on this album were the Interludes, as usual. I've treasured the album interludes since RAINBOW. I just miss the days when emotion poured out of every note. That's why I love Secret so much (easily, my favorite album). To me, outstanding music is something whose meaning can be felt regardless of language barriers...with Secret, I could understand each song without fully understanding the Japanese language. With this album, many of the songs run together, and I'm not able to sense the emotion behind her lyrics. I still think the "L" songs are her weakest single tracks of her entire career...

If I were to rank her albums, my opinion would place this release at the bottom of the totem pole, overshadowed by (miss) Understood and I Am... My album ranking would be something like this..

Secret>RAINBOW>A Song for XX>Rock'n'Roll Circus>LOVEppears>My Story>NEXT LEVEL>Duty>GUILTY>(miss)Understood>I Am..>Love Songs
Old 19th December 2010, 06:15 AM
Dolls Initiate

^ it's hard to pleased a person with that unique taste (: I would never place I am, Duty and (miss)understood in that low place But it's nothing bad, it's amazing how every Ayu fan have diffrent tastes only in her discography!
Old 19th December 2010, 06:20 AM
Don't look back Initiate

^you know what, though I havent heard the album proper, but I think...I get what you mean by emotion. But to each individual, emotions can feel different. It's something so varied And intangible. For me, her most emotional albums were GUILTY, Rock'n'Roll Circus, Duty, Secret...there's something very raw in these albums altogether.

While, I really don't sense more emotion in NEXT LEVEL than in GUILTY haha..

And I have to disagree about songs in L not having the special touch. yes Sweet Season may be plain and simple, Last angel may be full of orchestra and electro (somewhat), Virgin Road is one of her more endearing and emotional ballads imo.

Love how this album has such varied opinions Hahah...not gonna judge it yet because I still don't know what to expect!
Old 19th December 2010, 06:51 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I like the album, but most of the songs sounded the same: mellow or ballad-y. I kinda feel like the only songs that stuck out to me were Sending mail and Love song and do it again; the interludes were nice too. But then again, I was listening to them while on a plane flight with only 4 hours of sleep and slept through the album. LOL. fail. Lyrically the album's great though. Interested in seeing the full versions of the PVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComatoseBunnySnatcher View Post
^ Hey, if I went deaf and broke my leg for a company you'd bet your ass i'd get my money's worth! Ayu is a smart HBIC!
Spoiler:

Godly.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:52 AM
neverending dream Initiate

I'm too lazy to write a full review.

When Rock'n'Roll Circus came out I thought it was one of her best but when the anticipation and excitement died down, I thought there's really nothing new and it's not as special as I thought it was and well I don't listen to it anymore. Anyway what I'm saying is I might say that I adore Love songs now but after a month who knew, I might think it's a disaster so as of now here's what I think.

It's really great and I love it. Each track is unique yet the album is cohesive.

I love the interludes.

THANK U is probably the most repetitive song I've ever heard. It's like one long interlude.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:01 AM
Initiate

I'll give it a month and most of you won't be as nice about the album.
Every new Ayu album is always OMG AMAZING for the first few weeks.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:08 AM
End roll Initiate

^ I will, but I'm not nitpicky and overly critical like a lot of the people here. Plus this album has really touched me...

Anyway, I can see this is an album people are either going to find really boring and bland, or something new and wonderful.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:13 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilaryDuffFanboy View Post
I'll give it a month and most of you won't be as nice about the album.
Every new Ayu album is always OMG AMAZING for the first few weeks.
That never really happens with me. If I love it at first, I'll usually stay loving it and thinking it's amazing.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:18 AM
Initiate

Arent u guys giving too high notes?.
I mean, its been about 20 hours since we have the album.... I understand if u love some songs, but giving them a 10 is a too much. In my opinion is necesary to listen about one month to an album to discover if you really like it. Im quite disappointed with the album, but i won't be giving any 0 until i have listened to it more times
Old 19th December 2010, 07:30 AM
Don't look back Initiate

And isn't 0 very drastic either?

And yea, EVERY new release is gonna face the same fate. There's nothing wrong with falling in love head over heels over a track now and gradually losing the like for it because either you've gotten sick or it, or that there is new music. And it ALWAYS happens. Be it album or artiste. It's just how long this love will last. If you don't even bother giving it a good listen on the first time then...in one months time, you would have deemed you didnt like it in the first place.

I created a thread in the chartroom. Whether old songs have caught up to members' likings. It proves that clearly you can still hate it over the next month and in a few years, then only you may start liking the track. Vice versa - loving it in 1 months time After deciding you like it then losing the like after the next few years. So, while some can say, "don't be too quick to say you like it", I will say "don't be too quick to dislike and hate it either"

And lol Heavenly_Zerase, you seem deemed to give songs 0 after listening to it more.
Old 19th December 2010, 08:31 AM
And Then Initiate

Please realize that this is MY interpretation of what I'm hearing and reading, and it may or may not be "accurate" of what the album really is.
-------------------------
Today Ayumi's Love songs album finally leaked! It was love at first listen (lol), and I must have played the whole album three times over. Then I decided I would gather up the English lyric translations, print them out, and then listen to the album while reading the lyrics.

I already thought that the songs were quite emotional and touching from the *sound* alone, but--wow--reading the lyrics *with* the music...This is such an emotional and meaningful album. I admit that this may be due in large part to the fact that I find the songs "speak" to me at my current place in life. A couple of years ago, I lost a person/relationship and have spent the time since making many changes and growing personally. I even tried to convince myself for a long time that perhaps I had never really loved this person, but that was just a way of distraction. (This is probably why "like a doll" is my absolute favorite track on this album. wow!)

In the end, I'd have to say that this album was a great big hug and a gentle push from Ayu.

So while this is a review of the album, I will quote lyrics that really stood out to me. I highly recommend listening to the songs and reading the lyrics, if you can. Someone (kogepan?) mentioned that TK is quite purposeful with his music, and that really shows as you read along.

1) Love song - She's telling us that she can't compromise on love, dreams, and music, so what is it we can't live without? (0:44) "Life is boring if you don't have anything that you can't compromise on". If we don't know what we must have, how can we guard it? (0:52) "Do you have anything you want to protect?" I love all of the questions she poses to us. (3:25) "Can you become honest? Why won't the tears stop?"

2) crossroad - The music at the beginning is a bit formal and elegant (imo), and switches ("I wonder if I made the right choice) for the questions (0:40). Then "I'm still going forward"~ the music switches to a hopeful, rising (imo) sound (0:59). Finally, a more steady sound (1:09) "pretending to be strong to not get hurt..." So beautiful...

3) MOON - I can't help but think of the pv when listening to this song as it fits so well with the song. Sad memories that won't leave her alone... (1:20) "I thought I'd be able to forget you" (2:06) "Please don't ask me anymore..."do you love me?". No wonder she cries so much in the pv! A song of regrets and sad memories...

4) Sending Mail - This song, after listening closely, reminds a bit of Malize Mizer with the dark vocals and music at the beginning (0:20) "The sun has left me again today", the organs (0:33) "I hate myself when I'm like this". She still has regrets and wishes she could change things...She wants to write an email but keeps erasing it....eventually not sending it at all.

5) Last Angel - This song sounds like it could be the message she wanted to write in Sending Mail. It's like the last wishes and words before moving on. (1:08) "I believe you can hear me, I want to tell you" (1:22) "This bell sound announcing the end bear no sad tone at all." Even though she wishes things had been different, she is ready to move forward. (1:49) "I don't regret or look back anymore, it's the only way for me to go forward."

6) Insomnia - A dark and slightly creepy interlude...I really love this..It makes me feel a bit alone, like in a haunted house. lol

Here the tone changes from her regrets to almost as if she is admonishing and giving someone advice to move on.

7) Like A Doll - The music here is like Eurythmics and Kanon Wakeshima had a child song together. I LOVE IT! The somewhat stately, clockwork feel goes completely with the concept of a person locking their heart up and trying to live while ignoring their emotions (much like the guy in crossroad--to not be hurt, he pretended to be strong). (1:31) "Forgetting what is love, forgetting what is respect" (1:54) "If you ignore all your feelings, you won't feel hurt" It's almost like she's begging for the person to realize what is happening. (2:03) "but you won't feel any happiness either" (3:33) "Don't live like you are dead"

Basically this song is part of that "gentle push" I mentioned.

8) Aria - A very sweet, achingly beautiful interlude. All of the interludes on this album are terrific, imo. Honestly, it sounds a bit like an intermission in a conversation because Ayu continues her little talk from Like A Doll into blossom.

9) blossom - [I have not seen the blossom pv, so I'm not even considering it here.] (0:17) "Within your heart, you've actually been crying for awhile, haven't you?" blossom, imo, is Like A Doll ~part 2~. (0:43) "I'm sure it was your sweet lie and the pretension to be strong with all your might" (1:10) "we started to talk and we don't need a reason for that" (1:19) "we certainly know at least that we are simply OK, we are OK now" Basically, this song is saying, "You've been hiding your pain, and it's difficult, but we can move forward together."

Here's a little break in all the seriousness...

10) Thank U - I don't know when this song was written, but...I want to say that while RED LINE may have been for TA, I think that Thank U might be for the US/overseas fans. (0:57) "Today was another day we shared precious moments together, you just being yourself made me happy" (1:19) "I want to say Thank U for everything" I could be completely wrong...That's just the feeling I get from the song, especially since you have to know this song is perfect audience singing material at concerts. It sounds like something she might say to her fans.

11) Sweet Season - I don't dislike this track at all...Some have said it reminds them of 70's era light pop, and I like that type of music (lol). The lyrics are very sweet, and I kind of wonder how it relates to the ending of the music video. I love the tracing of time and love with the seasons. (2:21) "In the winter days, when our fingertips were trembling in the freezing cold/We warmed each other's hearts, didn't we?"

12) Overture - I've said it before, but this song reminds me of a sci-fi theme, particularly Stargate SG-1 (in spots XD). It's a dramatic interlude to prepare us for a dramatic song...

And we transition back to Ayu talking to that someone...

13) Do It Again - I think the "dance" and "sing" parts here refer back to Like A Doll (Like A Doll's music gave me a picture of a ballet type doll dancing.) This is my third favorite song...I'm not certain, but it seems like Ayu might be referencing the song, Naturally, with (1:28) "'What's sad is giving up' That hasn't changed one bit". [She could just as easily be referencing earlier songs in this album though.] She then says, (1:40) [paraphrasing] "not only that, but it's even more true now!" The part that leaped out at me was (2:49) "'Letting go is also courage' That is something we know as we become adults" Again, the talk of growing up and also remembering our important dreams (as she talks about in Love song). I think in this song Ayu is again talking about moving forward and growing with the "dance" and "sing". Don't stay still and give up--dance and sing!

To point out a little music bit, check (3:13) "what would the you now [do], think about this..." and then the music hesitates, almost as if to give you a moment right now to think.

14) November - Ok, second favorite song on the album, and the one that turned on the waterworks for me. I know people are saying this is about Mannie, but I'm not so sure of that. It retains the feel of Ayu trying to help someone. This time she is saying to not be afraid of taking a risk to find love again. The "we" she talks about--(0:55) "but we often can't find the right one"--sounds more like a general "we as people" and not "we as in some guy & I". (1:13) "though we believe, we are so afraid of being hurt that we walk past each other and continue on".

There are three choruses in this song, each one having the same first three lines [except for the last chorus] but different last two lines. It's really a very sweet picture of Ayu wishing to comfort someone and help them move forward. The first two lines (1:31 & 3:38), "If I could grow one wing, so that I could fly freely in the sky like a bird, I would gently land aflutter your shoulder". The last line in the first chorus, (1:58) "And fall asleep, while whispering to you about love". The last line in the second chorus, (4:05) "And let the tears which I have been holding back fall". The last two lines of the third chorus, (4:41) "I want to give you both of these wings so that you can fly to the place you want to go." IMO, the chorus music really does give a feel of flying.

15) Virgin Road - I think someone said this song is about Ayu's mom? It really does sound like it, imo. Ayu's saying that even though she & her mom had some rough times, now Ayu can finally say thank you to her. (Can someone remind me if A Song for xx was written about her mother? Might be interesting to compare the two songs.)

Coming from listening to November, now Virgin Road has switched to first person. (1:47) "I met a person who said, 'I love you and want to protect you.' We start to walk together now." Again the reference to walking together, going forward. It's like a fulfillment of November.

Then (4:23) "I feel that the person you once met and love is somehow like the person I love". I think the sweet part of this song is the fact she reviews her relationship with her mother [I suppose?], thanks her, and then tells her mom that she has now found someone else who loves her. Not only that, this person is like someone her mother once loved (Ayu's father?).
Even if it isn't Ayu's mother, it's definitely someone she looks up to. It's like "Thank you for all the love and support, but now I have someone else who loves me too."

16) SEVEN DAYS WAR - Another great song, I'm so glad that Ayu covered it. It really does fit with the theme of this album of healing and growing up. (0:54) "I don't want to destroy everything, I just want to search for something" (5:07) "Seven days war, I'll fight so I can just be myself" It's almost like a last notes of "I'm moving on, here I go, I'm fighting."

(thank you tenshi no hane and masa for your lyric posts!!)

I REALLY like this album apparently because usually all I can say is a few sentences about this kind of thing.

And if you read all of this, then have a cookie. And some sleep.

Adding: The first part of the album is Ayu talking in first person, the second part is Ayu talking in third person. I think it's possible that she is talking to herself in this second section. Then the third section of [seemingly] unrelated songs, and the last second of first person Ayu again. Maybe this album is a bit autobiographical? *shrug*

Last edited by lumieregrl; 19th December 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 19th December 2010, 08:56 AM
until that Day… Initiate

lumieregrl, WOWWWW ur review is AWESOMEEE!!
it makes me love the album even more!!!
i can't stop looping the whole album now... thanks so much for the review!
Old 19th December 2010, 08:58 AM
no more words Initiate

I must agree with those who think the album flows well, because it REALLY does.

Cohesively as an album, this is one of her best studio albums in her career; the sound shifts from one track to another, each being individually great yet still part of a whole. That's a hard line to walk—shifting sounds too drastically to make for a varied album or not shifting enough to make a bland album—but she pulls off being able to create different songs which all work well together.

Overall, my favorite stand out album tracks are "Love Song," "Sending mail," and "November." Her single tracks were all very strong; added with these album tracks and a few really well-placed instrumentals and you have arguably the easiest flowing album. (For the record, I felt GIRL NEXT DOOR's debut album was great with the non-stop feel, but "Love Songs" totally dusts its butt.)

"Like a doll" feels like she dropped the ball there for a little while, since this is my weakest track on the album (even more than "Sweet Season," if you're wondering), but even the weakest song on the album offers something we haven't really seen before. I don't know what, but something separates this album from the rest of the lineup.

In response to the "lack of album ballads," we didn't need any to begin with. I think we've had enough single ballads (MOON, crossroad, SEVEN DAYS WAR, Virgin Road, and Sweet Season) to make up for any album ballads we may have encountered. I think it was smart of her not to include any ballad-ish album tracks because those would have made the album bland.

And to be quite honest, until I read Komuro Tetsuya composed most of this album, he was the furthest thing from my mind; kudos to him because he has this distinct sound one can't really take their ears off from even if they wanted to, and he was able to break out of that for the most part. (What I mean is most of his compositions could be seen as just revamps of his older material or one could very well replace vocals with other TK-related artists and would basically sound the same. I think Ayu's work here is actually unique without too much TK-flair.)

-----

Wow, following lumieregrl makes me feel not too bright. Haha. I didn't do what she did, but rather went off of sound alone. Maybe when I read the full translations of these songs rather than pull from the song directly as much as I can, the review will become better. Hahaha.

Last edited by DA1SUK1DAY01691; 19th December 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 19th December 2010, 08:58 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

I don't like Thank U with all its lalala's, but I love the other album tracks

like a doll + do it again are my favorites, but November and sending mail are really good as well <3

I'm happy I like them, because I wasn't expecting much at first XD

The tracks are a bit repetitive but I think it's not that bad if you actually know Japanese (or at least read a translation).

And, the lyrics are beautiful <3

November's arrangement reminds me of a Final Fantasy tune though XD I just can't remember which

And insomnia's first 15 seconds instantly reminded me of tune played in FFX-2 when you meet Shuyin in that cave (I'm not saying it's ripped off or anything, it's just interesting to me)
Old 19th December 2010, 09:14 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1SUK1DAY01691 View Post

And to be quite honest, until I read Komuro Tetsuya composed most of this album, he was the furthest thing from my mind; kudos to him because he has this distinct sound one can't really take their ears off from even if they wanted to, and he was able to break out of that for the most part. (What I mean is most of his compositions could be seen as just revamps of his older material or one could very well replace vocals with other TK-related artists and would basically sound the same. I think Ayu's work here is actually unique without too much TK-flair.)
I actually had the opposite reaction, I can hear TK's influence distinctively throughout this album. I would only classify his mid 90s produced singles as sounding similar, but his album work has always been quite varied and experimental I've thought. Watching the PV short versions, I didn't know that basically all of the album tracks were done by him but as I listened I though, "OK, so she must have used TK some more." Because it really doesn't sound like the kind of material the composers that she usually uses would put out.

I'm going to hold off on giving my album review yet as I want to give the tracks sometime to settle in first. But I can already say that overall on first listen I have a stronger reaction to it than I did to my first listens of Next Level and RNRC.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 19th December 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 09:25 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumieregrl View Post
7) Like A Doll - The music here is like Eurythmics and Kanon Wakeshima had a child song together.
You're officially AWESOME lol

About the ratings...I mean, no offense to people and their opinions, but I do have a hard time seeing this as the best album she's ever had...

but whatever. If people believe that, then they believe it. There are worse things they could believe lol

I do think it's the most cohesive album she's ever had, probably since A song for XX lol

But then again, I never really cared for cohesive-ness, because for me, that usually means, a bunch of songs that are really similar...and as easily bored as I get...that is just, album killer for me.

And tbh, I never really understood why it was so bad for her to have albums like (m)u, secret, guilty, RcRC, etc, where she's got the rock songs, and the pop up beat songs, and then the ballads.

That's waaayyy more diverse and entertaining imo, and the songs always went together for me.

But I do think what DaisukiDayo said is true, I think this album manages to do it without being boring...so, that's cool.

Oh, and I'm extremely happy there was a lack of album ballads. omg. I would have died if she threw more sweet sappy ballads. yeah, the singles were killing me.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 19th December 2010, 09:28 AM
End roll Initiate

Huh? None of the singles were sweet sappy ballads...
Old 19th December 2010, 09:31 AM
Dolls Initiate

I want another HEAVEN / Together When... / You Were... or JEWEL.

Virgin Road alone was not enough for me for 2010 cus I'm greedy lol. And I wonder when CREA will make a comeback. Have you guys tweeted Ayu about this????

Folie à Deux
Old 19th December 2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

This whole album just screams STORY for me. It's heavily influenced by classical music this time~!

Love Song - Although the melody of kind-of easy; the vocals are BEYOND amazing, and it feels like it's Ayu's first country-like song. She really rocks the vocals

Sending mail - This song sounds like it tells a story, and therefore would have a GREAT arena tour performance. It's not as good as some of her past rocksongs, but it's nice enough to scream along to, especially in her concerts. The vocals are quite good

Like a doll - My favourite from this album. It REALLY tells a story. After listening closely to the lyrics, I feel everything is connected. I could have done without the high notes in this song, but yes it's like a 'scream' in the lyrics aswell. It's dark and happy at the same time; I feel it's irony; and the classical influences are fantastic! Yes, my #1 here

Thank u - Not as bad as a thought. A mix between a lot of old songs, with her typical cutesy vocals. Gets annoying real fast, but it will be like RED LINE, good for concerts.

Do it again- The arrangment is one of the best arrangements in ANY Ayusong. The chorus is just a bit too poppy, composition-wise. could've been MORE epic with a better chorus.

November- NOOO!!! Why?? A VERY good arrangement, with a VERY good melody; but not with the best vocals~!! it sounds like Ayu strains her voice in the high notes. They could've used a lot more echo and bass on the voice to make it sound better. Ayu is a fantastic singer, I dun get why this track sounds so strained. At any rate, the song is a true masterpiece, I hope that Ayu sings is better Live ^_^

Tags
love songs