[Official Message] ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』 - Page 11 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 27th February 2017, 08:20 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
And I LOVE her current voice, much more mature.
If it's it on cd, then I agree. There are some strong vocals in a lot of her newer songs, but live? Pls no. She sounds so terrible now live.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:03 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyGrahams View Post
If it's it on cd, then I agree. There are some strong vocals in a lot of her newer songs, but live? Pls no. She sounds so terrible now live.
She does not. Just depends on the song.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 28th February 2017, 12:54 AM
SURREAL Initiate

^Agree, actually Arena Tour 15 and 16 were amazing imo.
Old 28th February 2017, 02:36 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
I wouldn't say terrible, but bad? Yeah, definitely bad most of the time. If pitch correction wasn't invented, she'd be in a serious trouble, she would probably have to rerecord vocals for DVDs.
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~ (11.05, 12.05 (Yokohama), 15.05, 16.05 (Osaka)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2013-2014 A (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2014-2015 A, Cirque de Minuit (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
ARENA TOUR 2015 Cirque de Minuit ~真夜中のサーカス~(11.04, 12.04 Saitama)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2015-2016 A ~MADE IN TOKYO~ (29.12, 30.12, 31.12)
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』(29.12, 30.12)
Old 28th February 2017, 10:21 AM
BEST Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Odinson View Post
^Agree, actually Arena Tour 15 and 16 were amazing imo.
Yeah... 2015 was amazing, but for me 2016 sounds a bit off...
Both ARENAs weren't as bad as the CDLs (15-16 / 16-17) were...

concerts i've attended:
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.07
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.08
Old 28th February 2017, 09:40 PM
Because of You Initiate

I have a love and hate moment about her current voice.

She can perform certain songs with her current voice very well. On the other hand, some songs like M sounds awful with her current voice, especially at the beginning when she sings "Maria"...

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 28th February 2017, 10:43 PM
appears Initiate

I think M is one of the old songs that she should keep singing, for me her current voice suits this song very well.
One thing I don't like about her current voice is that in the past what you got on the cds will most likely sound almost the same on live, nowadays her voice on live doesn't match the studio versions of the songs (i.e FLOWER, Mad World, Summer love, Out of control etc)

Old 1st March 2017, 05:22 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahz- View Post
I think M is one of the old songs that she should keep singing, for me her current voice suits this song very well.
One thing I don't like about her current voice is that in the past what you got on the cds will most likely sound almost the same on live, nowadays her voice on live doesn't match the studio versions of the songs (i.e FLOWER, Mad World, Summer love, Out of control etc)

I think her current voice for FLOWER is very good, but IMO, not M.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 1st March 2017, 08:58 AM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
I wouldn't say terrible, but bad? Yeah, definitely bad most of the time. If pitch correction wasn't invented, she'd be in a serious trouble, she would probably have to rerecord vocals for DVDs.
They are definitely bad. It's pretty telling nowadays one of the first post for her lives is her voice being okay/decent/listenable. Lol. When has this become a norm? She used to kill it so often.

I will stand by my statements of terrible, because I compared to her past and what she's capable of singing. I just feel like she's just shouting all the time now.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:28 AM
LIMIT Initiate

Quote:
They are definitely bad. It's pretty telling nowadays one of the first post for her lives is her voice being okay/decent/listenable. Lol. When has this become a norm? She used to kill it so often.

I will stand by my statements of terrible, because I compared to her past and what she's capable of singing. I just feel like she's just shouting all the time now.
You...understand that for a live, there's only so much control the sound people have over the mixing of the various channels, right?
Old 1st March 2017, 10:08 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

For me personally she usually sounds much better live irl that on the TV broadcast/DVD
Old 1st March 2017, 12:09 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Please fill me in on technicalities, but does this have something to do with her basically screaming the songs out loud during her live performances? With pitch correction, this scream-singing sounds fantastic (it makes her already strong voice sounds so much more powerful, e.g. do it again in CDL 11-12), but I don't think it's good in the long run. If this is true, then it's probably due to the fact that she can't really hear as well as before, so she had to scream-sing just in order to hear her own voice amidst what I suspect must be pretty loud music.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:31 PM
ever free Initiate

I can't stand the scream-singing. For some songs it works very well, but for others, like ballads, it's just... eh. I also feel like she enunciates her words strangely a lot of the time when she sings live now. Hard to explain, but maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about lol

Old 1st March 2017, 01:02 PM

Ayu always had a bad vocal technique, but back then she simply sung like most jpop singers do. Today she screams and screams and screams. It's no excuse that she performs in big arenas, a lot of people do. They still don't scream.
I don't care what exatly she does to stop screaming, but she should do something. Otherwise she ruins her voice/vocal cords completely.
Old 1st March 2017, 02:17 PM
No way to say Initiate

some people really enjoy her current voice. they say it's deeper and not so high-pitched as it used to be.

I'm glad that I'm not alone thinking she screams sometimes and goes off-tune so obviously.

well, I guess it's all because of her Minniere disease.

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 1st March 2017, 03:53 PM
walking proud Initiate

I don't think there is any question that her vocals this past year have been pretty off and down right bad for a fairly significant portion of time.

But we also have to remember that this is nothing new AT ALL. Her voice has been declining since 2006 and was really bad in 07/08, because it seems her hearing got worse, but by 2010 it seems that she learned how to work around that and her vocals go better. Since then she has definitely had peaks and valleys with the quality of her voice. 14/15 I thought she sounded pretty great. And I do agree that overall her voice is much more powerful now and sounds great in particular on the newer ballads.

'16 though, I feel was overall a bad vocal year every TV live that we got was subpar imo. I saw her live at the end of November and I would have classified her vocals as okay -- she did do significantly better during the accoustic section. From there till the end of December they obviously got worse though. The CDL is definitely cringeworthy and it's not because of the mixing, editing etc. She has had plenty of tv broadcasts before that did not sound that bad. Sure better mixing can help you sound better, but it's not going to change the quality of your actual voice.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:05 PM
GREEN Initiate

Every time I have heard her live she has been fine. I enjoyed it very much.
I think the main problem now a days is that there is so much mixing and computers involved with music that we don't really know anyones true voice till we hear them life and its just NOTHING like what we are used to (via radio, cd, tv broadcast) and it messes with our perception of their voice.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:21 PM
Depend on you Initiate

I've seen her twice in live and her vocals were amazing.
I really don't think her voice is always edited and autotuned. I've studied a bit of sound design and when you use too much filters on a voice, it's getting almost robotic (Cher for example... Or worse, Madonna when she tries to sing live). .
And sometimes, you just can't sing right. It happens.

I also think that Ayu re-recorded her vocals for the CDL 2015-2016 and that's why it took so long to come out on DVD. The best example is "Many Classic Moments". They couldn't edit her vocals that well. It would have sound robotic.
But that's a theory. I'm maybe wrong.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:47 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:

Oh, I don't like to even remember how bad her cutesy voice destroyed a super strong song like walk

愛されたいと願うあたしが誰のことも
愛せないことにあなたはきっと
気付いたのね

Old 1st March 2017, 05:56 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Eternam View Post
I've seen her twice in live and her vocals were amazing.
I don't know, I think the only vocals that I saw live that I would put in the amazing category were AT 05, AT 06, and AT 10. Even when her vocals aren't amazing though, I still think her shows are great to go to and can be enjoyed even when her vocals are off, I just wish she would take better care of her voice.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 1st March 2017 at 06:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
just the beginning -20-, tour 2017