「Party Queen」 Thoughts on album? - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2012, 09:41 PM
Pray H-Initiate

I'm also confused about the 'concept' thing. I guess we need proper lyrics to better understand where they were coming from with that one. So far, I'm not hearing it. DOESN'T MATTER, album is still full of WIN.

Koumori has been wifed by me

Old 13th March 2012, 09:43 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzaki88 View Post
I'm also confused about the 'concept' thing. I guess we need proper lyrics to better understand where they were coming from with that one. So far, I'm not hearing it. DOESN'T MATTER, album is still full of WIN.
Well I know it was said to be a "concept" album, but then in the interview of SCawaii, it says when recording the album she didn't have a concept but then one "fell" together. I think it's just ayu's way of interpreting her work. The concept is whatever the Hell she is thinking I guess, lol. Every album's concept is basically "This is Hamasaki Ayumi at present. This is Hamasaki Ayumi at this very moment." That's all there is to it.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:43 PM
Initiate

It's a really nice album!

Party Queen: pretty flat, I prefer this song in live! 4/10
NaNaNa: Yeah flawless! I don't really like Tim's part but the song is amazing! 8/10
Shake it: I don't know what to think, not good, not bad 6/10
taskebab: I dont care of interlude, lol. Taskebab is nice.
call & letter: these songs are the same loool. Reminds me of Last Links/life, nice songs but nothing new. 6/10 for both
Reminds me: Great instrumental, I love the chorus the most! 8/10
Return Road: One of my favorite! Just awesome 9/10
Tell me why: another one of my favorite! Simple but beautiful, I love Ayu's voice 9/10
a cup of tea: it's okay for an interlude
the next LOVE: Just surprising! Wow! I really love it! 8/10
Eyes, Smoke, Magic: It's weird because it's the same kind of song than the next LOVE but here, I don't really like it. Maybe too much kawaii 4/10
Serenade in a Minor: pretty boring.
how beautiful you are: I'm not in love with Ayu's ballads (except 2 or 3) so, hbya is pretty boring to me, nothing new. 3/10
Old 13th March 2012, 09:48 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorcle_Star View Post
i'm the only one who didn't like the album? i feel lonely lol
I mean, there are like 3 or 4 songs that are ok but i didn't really love any of them. I hope it will grow on me
I felt the same with her last 3 records (except FIVE) : didn't like them at the first listening, but they grew on me faster than I expected ^^

Old 13th March 2012, 09:51 PM
monochrome Initiate

THE ALBUM IS JUST TOO AMAZING FROM START TO END!!!!

Such a nice change!!

Old 13th March 2012, 09:53 PM
I am... Initiate

I'm so glad it doesn't sound like MY STORY.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:53 PM
Replace Initiate

I'm not glad that 50% of album has horrible vocals
Old 13th March 2012, 09:57 PM
appears Initiate

The album is quite interesting.
The passage from reminds me to Tell me why is epic! Return Road is totally amazing.
I'm not into the end of the album and Party queen is an horrible opening song imo...

Not sure if i'll like it more than Love songs but it's definitely better than RnRC and FIVE.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:58 PM
I am... Initiate

Party Queen has the best vocals of Ayumi's career seen technically. It has her best vocal control, her clearest tone, her best support and her smoothest range-work. It's just very different from her vocals before so people comparing it to Ayumi's old vocals will think she got worse. I'm not the most experienced singer but I had enough vocal training and learned enough vocal theory to objectively judge that.

I don't care if people like it or not but it's far from horrible. If 50% of this album has horrible vocals 100% of every other Ayumi album has horrible vocals.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:58 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu_ready? View Post
lol troll moar

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 13th March 2012, 09:59 PM
Two of us Initiate

i wonder if one of the shows ayu saw that inspired her showtune songs was chicago. i hear a lot of chicago reference in eyes, smoke, magic.

i still can't get over how amazing this album is.

my youtube account~

Last edited by starlett; 13th March 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:02 PM
SURREAL Initiate

I agree that she has more vocal control and technique, but it's just the "tone","timber" or "color of her voice" which is sounds sometimes very dry and different what she used to have. I think her best vocals were 2003-2006.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:05 PM
I am... Initiate

I would only call it dry from 2006-2010 really, I think she recovered from that. Of course, as I said, I'm fine with people disliking her tone or even her vocals overall, it's just simply a false claim to call her vocals horrible on any song on this album.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:07 PM
monochrome Initiate

I like it more than Love songs, and I love Love songs to death!!! IMAGINE Party Queen!!!

Can't get over it... it's just too much awesomeness right now xDDDDDDD

Old 13th March 2012, 10:08 PM
SURREAL Initiate

I don't think her vocals are horrible on PQ, she sings way better now than on Lovesongs
Old 13th March 2012, 10:10 PM
ayu trance Initiate

How can anyone tell what's studio magic and real skills whatsoever since her live vocals never sound exactly like her studio versions. I am fine with both by the way
Old 13th March 2012, 10:11 PM
ayu trance Initiate

so busy, but skimming through................. I AM STUCK ON REPLAYING 'RETURN ROAD' THE MOST.

i'll get back to the reviewing the rest. overall, i like the sound... but i can't connect the songs to the album theme of 'party queen'. *scratches head*.... she'll never revert to her older genius, but for the ayu she is today, this is pretty good. and she's accommodating to her voice now and utilizing it in a complementing way. *thumbs up*
Old 13th March 2012, 10:12 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by channy View Post
How can anyone tell what's studio magic and real skills whatsoever since her live vocals never sound exactly like her studio versions. I am fine with both by the way
Actually you can tell from listening if you are somewhat experienced with the techniques used in studio. Some aspect of a voice cannot be altered properly in studio, while some(like pitch) can. And autotuning for example is NEVER completely hidden, if you know what it sounds like you can hear it on a song even when it's used to correct small mistakes
Of course a live performance always says more than a studio recording, but this album is rather in line with PoM and CDL1112.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:13 PM
End of the World Initiate

Whole album thoughts:

Party Queen - this is a grower, I've been humming that "I am your party queen" part a lot.
NaNaNa - I LOVE it. It's so trashy, but kinda edgy - for Ayu that is. I like the sirens at the start. I thought I'd hate the rap/talking bit, but it really makes the song stand out. It's so good. My favourite song I think.
Shake It♥ - like a lighter version of NaNaNa, I like it, but not as much as PQ or NaNaNa
call - this is where the problems start. I like this song, I like this light midtempo rock sound. Problem is, Ayu has better songs like this, and really, so do other artists. I like it, but I don't love it. I won't skip when I listen to the album, but it won't make it onto Ayu playlists or my regular one.
Letter - same as call really, the songs are too close in style that they fade together.
reminds me - this is very very Ayu, again though, it's like call and letter but with a heavier rock song. It's has a really nice melody though, just a shame that by the time I get to it I'm a bit bored with the style.
Return Road - this song is interesting. I really like the verses, they have the same feel as Virgin Road - I wonder if that was intentional? I like the light arrangement, and then how it gets heavier, not a huge fan of how the chorus sounds though.

This is a general thing of mine, I like dramatic and grand arrangements, I think the orchestra and almost funeral march sound works nicely until that big.... thing in the middle. It adds nothing :S It's the same problem I have with Microphone. Anyway...

tell me why - I like this, but I prefer the lighter pop arrangement of the Greek version we heard. That's because I'm not a big fan of Ayu rock though. I don't know if I'd think differently if I hadn't listened to the Greek one, I don't think so.
the next Love - I like this, it's so different! It's very sensual.
Eyes, Smoke, Magic - This is different, I enjoy it when I listen to it, I don't know when I'd be in the mood for it though! Her cute voice works here. Can't unhear Chicago in it though!
How Beautiful You Are - Meh, bland ballad. Ayu, you made Virgin Road, I know you still have it in you. Thanks, bye.

This album is odd. NaNaNa is probably the only song I'd listen to out of the album, aside from HBYA I like them all - which is only the case on ONE other album (I am...)! Thing is, I just "like" them. I only love NaNaNa, and maybe Return Road and the next Love will grow.

Makes it hard to say what it's her best since... I like it more than GUILTY and FIVE for sure (her worst 2 imo), I think I like it more than RnC and maybe NEXT LEVEL. More than Love Songs? No way. Some of my favourite Ayu songs ever on there, even if one of her worst is too.

On vocals - she doesn't even sound like Ayu anymore to me :S Even compared to her MY STORY days she sounds SO different now. I don't know when she stopped sounding like Ayu to me, it's been going on slowly since GUILTY I think, because she still has that high pitched tinge in Secret. Then again, she sounded as close as she can to "old Ayu" on Love Songs to me.

I know, and can tell, her technique is better. I just loved her imperfection in her old work, the way her voice went all over the place and just made stuff sound like an emotional breakdown.

Last edited by relmy; 13th March 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:17 PM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu_ready? View Post
I agree, for example I can't stand her voice in Shake It<3. And I fail to realize how people actually compare this album to older ones... omfg.

I love Return Road, so EPIC! Gonna keep that one on repeat for a while! I'm very pleased with this album

Quote:
Originally Posted by channy View Post
I guess that some people are just born with that skill. Or they make up their own facts.
Closed Thread

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, party queen