『A BALLADS 2』on sale 2021.03.12 - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2021, 12:21 PM
SCAR Initiate

I like Days, not my favourite song/ballad but that FNS TV performance in 2008 was just so beautiful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280301 View Post
Moments, walking proud, and CAROLS
My ultimate holy trinity of Ayu's ballads haha xD
CAROLS will definitely make it on the tracklist, crossing fingers now for Moments & walking proud (but this being a 2 CDs release, chances are kinda high hopefully)
I will love MY STORY for ever just because of these 3 gems.

Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017 - Chapter 2 ~sacrifice~ @ Chiba [2017/11/21]
Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017 - Chapter 3 @ Nara [2017/12/03]
21st anniversary ~POWER of A^3~ @ Saitama [2019/04/06]
21st anniversary ~POWER of A^3~ @ Saitama [2019/04/07]
MUSIC for LIFE ~return~ @ mu-mo LIVE digital streaming [2021/07/01]
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:36 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim' View Post

CAROLS will definitely make it on the tracklist, crossing fingers now for Moments & walking proud (but this being a 2 CDs release, chances are kinda high hopefully)
Couldn’t agree more!
walking proud and Moments were performed few times in the last decade, I believe it’s safe to consider they will be included.

I hope she will put Together When... and fated as well. Love GUILTY ballads

Instagram

Old 22nd January 2021, 12:50 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

I've been a fan for so many years but I still struggle af to remember her songs even though there's only a handful of her releases that I dislike or skip. I've tried for years to train myself to remember them with little success.

Days is one of the songs I know from the instrumental

Signature presented by the amazing majrakun <3 thanks photobucket
MY
Twitter | last.fm | Facebook | Tumblr

Old 22nd January 2021, 01:37 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post
Days was her largest ballad hit post-Jewel, so I don't see any way that it's not on here.
Yeah, sadly Together When... didn't come even close. The Japanese fan base does love Days, there is a huge commotion every time she sing days live during the concerts.

I could never appreciate the song on the same level I could appreciate You were..., CAROLS or No Way To Say if we are talking about the winter ballads. I guess it was a lot different because it was sappier and somehow positive and that's what set it apart + the somewhat cheesy lyrics.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 22nd January 2021, 04:59 PM
July 1st Initiate

I really hope fucking Pray gets in this album, but chances are slim, if any.

I love this grand orchestral ballad but the single (it was a single!) did not get an ounce of promotion. apart from it being a soundtrack for Buddha 2, I doubt it ever gained any popularity among her Japanese fans to warrant inclusion for this compilation. I feel about Pray the way some of y'all zealots feel about Days!

#JusticeForPray #JudgementDayForPray

Last edited by Deep snow; 22nd January 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:42 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post
I will NOT tolerate this Days slander going on in this thread It's one of her best ballads and that's that on that. And the music video is also stellar. That pink outfit? Adorable. And the setting of the PV looking like she lives in the slums of FFVII. ICONIC.
Amen to that! I love Days, it's easily my favourite ballad of hers, apart from HEAVEN which holds a special place in my heart.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:11 PM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Days isn't my favorite ballad of hers but it's not bad. The acoustic orchestra version is a lot more interesting and beautiful in my opinion.

I really hope she will do some new recordings on this album like she did with the first a ballads. YOU "Northern Breeze" is my favorite version of the song. I know that not many ballads from A song for XX were that popular but I'd love to hear new vocals/arrangements of any of them that she hasn't re recorded yet.
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:55 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by love in music View Post
Days isn't my favorite ballad of hers but it's not bad. The acoustic orchestra version is a lot more interesting and beautiful in my opinion.

I really hope she will do some new recordings on this album like she did with the first a ballads. YOU "Northern Breeze" is my favorite version of the song. I know that not many ballads from A song for XX were that popular but I'd love to hear new vocals/arrangements of any of them that she hasn't re recorded yet.
ASFXX has some of my favorite songs of hers. A new version of Present would be wonderful.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:49 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I wish she hasn`t announced it so early. i hate that and yes, i'm spoiled by korean music where it is mostly just two or three weeks apart.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:50 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I love the divide on Days, really illustrates what we were saying in the Pray for you thread!!

I personally cannot stand Days, I don't mind it in her tours because she really sells it well but boy the studio version is not for me. I can't see it not being on A BALLADS though, it's a classic now!

Really interested to see the tracklist, the only locks I can think of are No Way to Say, HEAVEN, Jewel and Days, but I might be completely wrong!

If she is going to re-arrange some of them I would love love love something acoustic, like the beginning of Mr. Darling, or a complete curveball, like a really dynamic song turned into a ballad (like she did with GAME on the first A CLASSICAL, what a tune!!)

I don't expect more than one new song (Pray for You) but I'm fine with it, if she has anything else in stock I guess I'd prefer if she kept it for a future mini/full album!

EDIT: found the curveball I didn’t know I wanted: criminal -orchestra ver., which would get rid of whatever that sound is on the bridge.

Last edited by !Lawi!; 22nd January 2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:02 PM
rainy day Initiate

I’ve advocated for Days so much on this forum that people started mocking me for it, lol. I could go all “thesis” on why it’s amazing but I’ve done it so many times already, I’d rather just look up my old posts and bring them back into the mix here.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:20 PM
Paper Doll Protector

^I didn't like Days when I first heard it. But, very quickly it became one of my favorites of hers and I find it to be one of her most listenable.

I think what won me over really were the lyrics because of my ten years of unrequited feelings in RL. That song hit me harddd when I took the time to listen. I guess it was a quick reminder of how relatable some of her lyrics can be. It has a very good build up, and has an innately nostalgic feeling when I hear it. It really lingers with me, and even before I enjoyed it so well, I found myself singing the melody to it more than just about any other song of hers. I had a similar experience with Who..., which I never gave much consideration to until I couldn't get the words or melody out of my head and I had to go back and listen to it to discover I really enjoyed it.

I've always felt that she sings Days very well live, too, which I think is great.

Please post your "thesis" sometime because I wanna read it. I love digging in deep about music but I don't always have the words for it XD

Last edited by DonkeyKongRemix; 22nd January 2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:10 AM
SEASONS Initiate

I'm part of the "I don't like Days" team.
I felt it was generic when it came out, and it didn't grow on me at all. This is really the kind of sound I don't find interesting at all. I don't want to listen to.
On the contrary I absolutely loved GREEN when it came out and it's still one of her best ballads for me. The arrangements are creative and stand out from her discography. This song is quite unique. That is what I'm looking for the most. Creativity, passion, commitment. GREEN checks all.
The PV has some really cringe acting moments but didn't ruin the song at all (and compared to Days... haha). The "backstage" scenes with the dancers resting and smoking are really well done.
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:27 AM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidekirby View Post
I'm part of the "I don't like Days" team.
I felt it was generic when it came out, and it didn't grow on me at all. This is really the kind of sound I don't find interesting at all. I don't want to listen to.
On the contrary I absolutely loved GREEN when it came out and it's still one of her best ballads for me. The arrangements are creative and stand out from her discography. This song is quite unique. That is what I'm looking for the most. Creativity, passion, commitment. GREEN checks all.
The PV has some really cringe acting moments but didn't ruin the song at all (and compared to Days... haha). The "backstage" scenes with the dancers resting and smoking are really well done.
Actually, Green has probably my favorite Ayu PV ever. The opening when the men wearing suits outside start dancing to the song just gets me everytime!

I think GREEN was the reason I didn't like Days at first because I was on "team GREEN." I thought one was 100% more interesting than the other. But, at the time I also couldn't fathom why anyone bothered listening to her ballads. I don't even kind of feel that way now, it's funny to me when I realize this too.

GREEN is majestic, and I remember when I went on gaia online back when and met a stranger who was really into music and we talked about Ayu, who he didn't really listen to much and he told me he liked her song GREEN because of it's more traditional sound. I pointed him to Theme of A Nation '03 and he was sold.

I think the thing I've learned to like about Days is that it has a lot of motion to it, like I feel as though I could be walking through memory-filled streets thinking about days that have passed by.
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:47 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Yeah, but no one in their right mind listened to Days as much as we obsessed over SHUYA looking all adorable and cuddle-snuffly in the PV... Ayu was kinda OK in it. But by the end I was like, "Well, yeah, duh you were daydreaming he could be yours..." And then I was like, "Oh wait, at least she knows him. And they work together. And she can have him play her love interest like 50 times. And he'll do it. And he'll even do it wearing little to nothing. And he'll do it again on stage..." And then I just felt like the song, "life," you know? It's like that one song in Ayu's discography that tried to be something and never really got any attention because it was so outrageously outshined by the A-side on that single, which was only released because fans were so voracious about getting a full version of the interlude.

I agree though. GREEN was the track I wanted, but I mostly loved the promo CM of Ayu spinning in that cup and smiling. It was one in a series of CMs she'd done in 2008-2009, where she kind of recaptured that magic she had from years prior. Nothing beats that Honda Spark CM featuring Sparkle though. All of those are etched in my memory pretty hard.
I LOVE this post. don't know why but the "I mostly loved the promo CM of Ayu spinning in that cup and smiling" sends me! lmaoooo
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:52 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I stand by the fact that everytime Days comes on I roll my eyes. The song is a staple for her and a hit and I will never doubt that. But to me it has no ballad quality at all - it’s a flat emotion that is neither warm nor cold nor anything. It’s just annoyingly cutesy and GREEN was more the sound I expected from her age (as an artist). I left out the PV so far because it does not ruin a song for me, but it also is just a cutesy Kana Nishino cringefest. What makes me dislike Days even more is the fact, that a song like that gets to be a hit while 10 other songs that surround it deserved it much more.

In the end, it boils down to what you look for in music. But to deny Days is probably one of the most uninspired tracks in her later discography is a flat out lie. It’s Jpop that a lot of other artist could have done and that’s clearly what they went for - and it being a hit reflects how generic japanese music taste is.

That said , as stated above, I don’t mind it in concerts and maybe compilations- but I do on mind it on Next Level.

Last edited by thinkingoutloud89; 23rd January 2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 23rd January 2021, 01:51 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
I stand by the fact that everytime Days comes on I roll my eyes. The song is a staple for her and a hit and I will never doubt that. But to me it has no ballad quality at all - it’s a flat emotion that is neither warm nor cold nor anything. It’s just annoyingly cutesy and GREEN was more the sound I expected from her age (as an artist). I left out the PV so far because it does not ruin a song for me, but it also is just a cutesy Kana Nishino cringefest. What makes me dislike Days even more is the fact, that a song like that gets to be a hit while 10 other songs that surround it deserved it much more.
first of all, your entire post is like music to my ears

there's so much I agree strongly with but I want to highlight that last part. I don't hate Days but so many of her other ballads sound much better to me, and I'm so sad/pissed that they get overshadowed by other songs. I mentioned Pray a few posts before and that is just one example out of many.

Quote:
That said , as stated above, I don’t mind it in concerts and maybe compilations- but I do on mind it on Next Level.
my problem with Days in NEXT LEVEL is its placement after Pieces of SEVEN. so jarring. after a very heavy and upbeat interlude (which I love), then suddenly ...Days? I never got used to this, and since ARENA TOUR 2009 I became convinced that Rule is the one that should have followed this interlude. sadly this isn't the only time I find the listing of her songs weird.
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:07 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:

In the end, it boils down to what you look for in music. But to deny Days is probably one of the most uninspired tracks in her later discography is a flat out lie. It’s Jpop that a lot of other artist could have done and that’s clearly what they went for - and it being a hit reflects how generic japanese music taste is.

Absolutely agreed and the Nishino comparison is so on-point. The song was too much of a cute-desperate fest for me. It will for sure be included even though she probably had enough awesome ballads to fill 3-4 cds and not include it still! I’ve learned to tolerate it, I don’t hate it, but it’s out of my top 150 for sure!

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 23rd January 2021, 02:19 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Days isn't my favourite either, but I can totally understand why people like it - I freaking love LOVE ~Destiny~, which is also one of Ayu's most 'generic' ballads. Sometimes a message and melody just resonates. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim' View Post
I like Days, not my favourite song/ballad but that FNS TV performance in 2008 was just so beautiful...

Yes! It's one of my favourites too, they flow so well from one another. I think CAROLS and walking proud will make it, Moments less so (though I hope it does).

I hope Story from A ONE makes it also. It's such an underappreciated little gem that has always given me MY STORY vibes.
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:01 PM
Initiate

All these debates on Days made me go back to watch the PV again

OMG when at the end Maro shows up in the group of friends that cheer her up, hahahaha so ironic
Closed Thread

Tags
a ballads 2