[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~again~ - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2012, 01:19 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogepan_19 View Post
You were referring to my post, as you responded to ever_free with "^ yall."

Party Queen did have a single, which was hbya, although only released digitally. It's nothing against your ideas of what you want Ayu to release, but I think you missed the main points of my posts, which is that the sales for again are not good indicators of how she'd sell for a real album. And also that even though these minis are penned as "gifts for fans," the reality is that most domestic fans are irritated that they'd have to pay more for extra photos of Ayu with Maro, on top of the news they're bombarded with.
Actually, I disagree. If we took the same concept and applied it to FIVE (127,000 FW Sales), we would see that the sales from FIVE were a good indicator of where Party Queen (98,000 FW Sales) ended up falling on the charts. Ayu's sales have been steadily declining, and "again" honestly is a good indicator of where Ayumi's next LP may end up on the charts. Hell, we saw the same shift in sales after Memorial Address going into MY STORY. The only thing we could honestly look at and say wouldn't be a good indicator is a single vs. an album.

I honestly doubt that the Japanese listeners are irritated because of Maro. They're probably uninterested because Ayumi isn't a 96,000-Member Girl Group, isn't a shirtless Korean boy band, and hasn't made a coherent and lasting shift in the style of her music. Like with Mariah Carey in the US, people get really tired of hearing the same thing over and over again and simply stop buying the records.

They choose to not buy the albums because Ayu is old, she's not a young idol anymore, she hasn't really changed her style (unlike Namie, for example), and she really doesn't put as much effort into her newer releases (unlike Namie, for example). One of the first things I noticed about the videos for Wake me up and snowy kiss was how god-awful boring they are, just like You&Me, just like Song 4 u, Missing... I'm tired of seeing Ayu stand around and fake cry while over-lip-syncing a song. Worse, I'm really tired of seeing everything be about a fight or a break up or something with some guy from somewhere. I want to see songs like evolution, M, and WE WISH, or AUDIENCE. I'd like to see Ayu do more than stand or sit or lay in a video for 70% of the time she's on camera. What happened to THE SHOW? The ARTIST? The PERFORMER? Do you see what I kind of mean here...?
Old 10th December 2012, 01:23 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

She's there, just at the concerts and all that. And the Namie argument is pretty out there imo considering that Namie doesn't really change all that much from release to release. She does have catchy tracks going for her but IMO that doesn't really mean she puts all that much effort into them compared to Ayu. It's funny to see someone say Ayu hasn't 'changed her style' when she's pretty much one who has changed her style the most compared to most other acts, just not so much recently since she's been buried in a sea of medium temponess. again seems to be breaking away from that with actually-uptempo catchy tracks and Ayu working with a western/UK producer for the 'main track' which is something she hasn't done before. I think people are way too negative when it comes to Ayu releases if they don't for some reason check all of the 'required wants' on a list (amazing PV, awesome compositions/arrangement, great lyrics, memorable covers, and so on) and just aren't happy if it lacks one or more of the above.

I also wish she had more dynamic PVs more often but there's not really much we can do about it. I just look forward to future releases since we can usually expect something new eventually.

Last edited by truehappiness; 10th December 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:26 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Actually, I disagree. If we took the same concept and applied it to FIVE (127,000 FW Sales), we would see that the sales from FIVE were a good indicator of where Party Queen (98,000 FW Sales) ended up falling on the charts. Ayu's sales have been steadily declining, and "again" honestly is a good indicator of where Ayumi's next LP may end up on the charts. Hell, we saw the same shift in sales after Memorial Address going into MY STORY. The only thing we could honestly look at and say wouldn't be a good indicator is a single vs. an album.

I honestly doubt that the Japanese listeners are irritated because of Maro. They're probably uninterested because Ayumi isn't a 96,000-Member Girl Group, isn't a shirtless Korean boy band, and hasn't made a coherent and lasting shift in the style of her music. Like with Mariah Carey in the US, people get really tired of hearing the same thing over and over again and simply stop buying the records.

They choose to not buy the albums because Ayu is old, she's not a young idol anymore, she hasn't really changed her style (unlike Namie, for example), and she really doesn't put as much effort into her newer releases (unlike Namie, for example). One of the first things I noticed about the videos for Wake me up and snowy kiss was how god-awful boring they are, just like You&Me, just like Song 4 u, Missing... I'm tired of seeing Ayu stand around and fake cry while over-lip-syncing a song. Worse, I'm really tired of seeing everything be about a fight or a break up or something with some guy from somewhere. I want to see songs like evolution, M, and WE WISH, or AUDIENCE. I'd like to see Ayu do more than stand or sit or lay in a video for 70% of the time she's on camera. What happened to THE SHOW? The ARTIST? The PERFORMER? Do you see what I kind of mean here...?
1st bolded:
PREACH

2nd bolded:
namie promoted Uncontrolled by going to the crub in taiwan, or whatever country. I don't remember.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:39 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
She's there, just at the concerts and all that. And the Namie argument is pretty out there imo considering that Namie doesn't really change all that much from release to release. She does have catchy tracks going for her but IMO that doesn't really mean she puts all that much effort into them compared to Ayu. It's funny to see someone say Ayu hasn't 'changed her style' when she's pretty much one who has changed her style the most compared to most other acts, just not so much recently since she's been buried in a sea of medium temponess. again seems to be breaking away from that with actually-uptempo catchy tracks and Ayu working with a western/UK producer for the 'main track' which is something she hasn't done before. I think people are way too negative when it comes to Ayu releases if they don't for some reason check all of the 'required wants' on a list (amazing PV, awesome compositions/arrangement, great lyrics, memorable covers, and so on) and just aren't happy if it lacks one or more of the above.

I also wish she had more dynamic PVs more often but there's not really much we can do about it. I just look forward to future releases since we can usually expect something new eventually.
apparently the composer from UK had make some songs for Namie Amuro and Koda Kumi~just so you know~~
Old 10th December 2012, 01:47 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:

So you want Ayu to release fast paced but interchangeable PVs with songs that sound like generic western music from different genres like Namie? Ok, them...

Let's hope the February release sounds like some Jennifer Lopez left over and that the video feature Ayumi dancing in front of a car with a bored face...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 10th December 2012, 01:55 AM
GREEN Initiate

Move your body, move your body,
Dance for your papi

lol.

by the way, did they ever say who the UK dude was?

Last edited by TeamAyu2004; 10th December 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:24 AM
TO BE Initiate

Sales are disappointing, but it's always been this way since I am... so, it's not a huge deal.
Gosh, I remember back in 2007 when GUILTY only sold 400K or so in its first week, and AHS was going into meltdown mode.
If only Ayu could sell that now!!!

Perhaps Ayu should create another I am.../RAINBOW, in the sense of writing lyrics about the external environment and its effect on Ayumi Hamasaki, rather than her discombobulated love life. I mean, the songs on these two albums are some of the most popular in her discography...they allow a greater form of relation from Ayu to her audience. I feel that I can no longer properly relate to Ayu's newer work, but songs from that 2001/2002 era like WE WISH, Everywhere Nowhere, evolution, UNITE, etc. resonate so well. Even beautiful songs like Sweet scar seem to only scratch the surface; they don't reach out to you...

Of course, this is a personal opinion undeniably bias as I love Ayu from 2000 to 2005.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:33 AM
GREEN Initiate

I really wonder how sales would be if they just went all out.
like they did during A best.
the 40 odd covers.
All the Lives, the 5+ cms, add a PV for every single song... A huge track list and 2cd remix, plus AO (like ayum-mi-x 1-4 were)

Lol... i would die and love it.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:42 AM
monochrome Initiate

well, Ayu is promoting waaay less than she used to do. She doesn't appear on TV Shows as she used to, the stupid short ver. PVs policy... we used to have the PVs before the releases, they used to be shown on TV and that would promote more. It seems that she is only paying attention to her fans since tracklists, covers and all that stuff is only cared by her fans, not the general public.

Old 10th December 2012, 02:52 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
So you want Ayu to release fast paced but interchangeable PVs with songs that sound like generic western music from different genres like Namie? Ok, them...

Let's hope the February release sounds like some Jennifer Lopez left over and that the video feature Ayumi dancing in front of a car with a bored face...
I don't think thats what he is referring to, For example she released a really sad song like part of Me and that involved more than just one scene, the PV was ARTISTICALLY shot, and had various scenes and a plot of some sort. OR pv for 1love or startin or (don't) leave alone they have movement, or a sense of effort or artistic attempt. recently i feel like thats lacking in her PVs as well, I'm not excited to see them anymore, the last time i felt something of the sort was for BRILLANTE. Or even something like ourselves, as an upbeat song, I don't know ayu in PVS just always looks the same now a days >.> even HBYA pv was terribly dull even if it had a "meaning" party queen and Nanana PV's just were terribly normal and cheap in my opinion. REturn Road was a bit more eventufull but once again it had nothing clear happening, it was like a watered down and not as good Microphone PV It doenst mean she has to do JLO stuff

set made my me

Old 10th December 2012, 02:55 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Maybe we should accept that Ayumi Hamasaki the commercial artist doesn't really exist anymore? There are many artists out there who don't sell a lot, but they continue to make music regardless. If Ayu stopped caring about the general public, it's about time we did too. It's not devastating to see low numbers on the charts for as long as she's still singing. How it's affecting her personally we don't know, but she hasn't retired yet for this reason. I trust that if Avex denies her the appropriate funds to produce music, she'll take matters into her own hands.

Old 10th December 2012, 02:57 AM
GREEN Initiate

i don;t know... I thought the videos from Guilty to RocknRoll were completely dreadful.
to each their own.
there were a few gems here and there, but most diffidently not the ones 'most' people seem to like.

I dont think a lot of people have accepted the fact that she is no longer on top.
This is what happens, look at Seiko and that other old chick (), they are no where near the top but still make music.
their budget is down, but they still do PV's, concerts, albums...
Ayumi is here to stay for many many years, even if she is reduced to just 10-20K per album.

Last edited by TeamAyu2004; 10th December 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:57 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyumiAi View Post
I don't think thats what he is referring to, For example she released a really sad song like part of Me and that involved more than just one scene, the PV was ARTISTICALLY shot, and had various scenes and a plot of some sort. OR pv for 1love or startin or (don't) leave alone they have movement, or a sense of effort or artistic attempt. recently i feel like thats lacking in her PVs as well, I'm not excited to see them anymore, the last time i felt something of the sort was for BRILLANTE. Or even something like ourselves, as an upbeat song, I don't know ayu in PVS just always looks the same now a days >.> even HBYA pv was terribly dull even if it had a "meaning" party queen and Nanana PV's just were terribly normal and cheap in my opinion. REturn Road was a bit more eventufull but once again it had nothing clear happening, it was like a watered down and not as good Microphone PV It doenst mean she has to do JLO stuff
Brillante is so old! It was released like... a decade ago!

Nops, actually that was just last year.

Among everything that annoys me on AHS when Ayu is releasing stuff, the capacity some of her fans have of having the most bizarre time perception of any fanbase is easily on top of the list.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 10th December 2012, 03:03 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:

Among everything that annoys me on AHS when Ayu is releasing stuff, the capacity some of her fans have of having the most bizarre time perception of any fanbase is easily on top of the list.
Lmfao, I agree. I always see comments like "I haven't felt this way since Missing", "Best song released so far this year!" (out of like 4 releases in past month). Lol.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:17 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:

im not saying its old at all, i'm just saying that she's released an album and two mini's and a summer best in between, thats about 10+ pvs i didn't do the math, but to not feel excited about a pv in 10 consecutive pvs is kind of... you know?

set made my me

Old 10th December 2012, 04:30 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post

The problem is you can be there with all the concerts and still not be doing anything refreshing. This isn't really about me finding a point of criticism in everything Ayu does. I'm well aware that she doesn't need my criticism on top of her history with avex. She's been an amazing artist but she's now just a singer. I don't know why she doesn't try anymore? Maybe she's just tired from being awesome and on top of everything for so long that she can finally take a break?

And Namie differs a lot from Ayumi, just like Koda does (though Koda is horrible example to use here because she sells horribly too). Namie today sounds nothing like Namie 10 years ago. And it's not like she did this for one record. It's been a consistent improvement and effort to forge a new sound/new style for herself to maintain her career. That's why she's still selling. It's not because she uses cheap western music, it's because Namie actually does some interesting things, she still does a crap ton of choreography, and her music is genuinely different from what it was in the earlier part of her career. Ayumi has only tried on a new sound for approximately one record before ditching it for a new sound on the next record, which makes it difficult to keep up and stay interested if there's not a smooth transition from the style of one album to another. Good examples are going from GUILTY to NEXT LEVEL... two VERY different records.

again has some decent songs on it. I like Wake me up and snowy kiss, Sweet scar and Ivy are also great tracks. However, I absolutely despise how poorly they've been presented. She spent 1/5th of the video of snowy kiss sitting on a car hood lip-syncing. And about 2/3rds of the video was her fighting/shoving/being shoved/kicking/throwing stuff in slow motion. I've never seen so much action-packed spontaneity gloriousness in a video!!!

And Sweet scar, as nice as that is, was almost a Copy & Paste of Don't look back. Wake me up... for a video with such an amazing dance beat, for something that really gets you out of your chair, she spent over half of the damn video sitting down.

I know it sounds super critical, and I really don't mean to be a jerk. But she really isn't trying here. It's not like I'm making this up. Just look back at videos like 1 LOVE, then look at videos like Sparkle... then look at Wake me up, then at You&Me. Look at videos like ourselves, or like Free&Easy, then look at Song 4 u. There isn't an attempt to put on a show anymore.

It's like Ayu goes in a room and tells the directors, "For this video, I'd like to sit on a futon instead of on a rocking chair." And they all turn around and go "BRILLANTE Ayu! What pure artistry!" Nowadays, it's like "Who can I have a breakup in this video with?" And then she grabs the nearest dancer and kicks **** at him and throws him around in the video for 5 minutes, interspersed with cuts of her sitting with messed up hair on a car, or on a motel bed, or on a sink, or at a table, crying and lip-syncing with her mouth so wide it's like she's eating the air around her. And if that's not it, then she looks like an AYU-BOT in the video.

I'm genuinely not trying to be an ******* about it. But it's very disappointing that she's heading down Seiko Matsuda road. In 5 years, THIS could VERY likely be our dear Ayu:

Do you want that? I don't. I really don't want Ayu playing with herself on an album cover.

Quote:

Sure. If she did it for more than one album in a row, I'd be happy. Read the above ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyumiAi View Post
Thank you. This is very much what I am trying to say, but you're saying it without the jerk attitude that I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf King View Post
Maybe we should accept that Ayumi Hamasaki the commercial artist doesn't really exist anymore? There are many artists out there who don't sell a lot, but they continue to make music regardless. If Ayu stopped caring about the general public, it's about time we did too. It's not devastating to see low numbers on the charts for as long as she's still singing. How it's affecting her personally we don't know, but she hasn't retired yet for this reason. I trust that if Avex denies her the appropriate funds to produce music, she'll take matters into her own hands.
I don't want to. Ayu started this thing years ago where she decided to be Ayu and stop being a product. She's managed to be an amazing artist through those years, why is it asking too much for her to continue being an artist today? Being commercial doesn't mean you have to be like Jolin Tsai and make every dang album a comeback, but it doesn't mean all of your videos for the last year should show you in the same outfit with the same guys doing the same things in the same parts of the world just to different soundtracks. It's not trying. And I don't have to have perfect from Ayumi, but I want effort.

The mini-albums have been like waiting up all night to see Santa Clause and after he puts the presents under your tree, he gets completely drunk and destroys the house before peeing on the Christmas tree then storming out the front door hollering that no one ever appreciates what he does for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAyu2004 View Post
i don;t know... I thought the videos from Guilty to RocknRoll were completely dreadful.
to each their own.
there were a few gems here and there, but most diffidently not the ones 'most' people seem to like.

I dont think a lot of people have accepted the fact that she is no longer on top.
This is what happens, look at Seiko and that other old chick (), they are no where near the top but still make music.
their budget is down, but they still do PV's, concerts, albums...
Ayumi is here to stay for many many years, even if she is reduced to just 10-20K per album.

That's Ayumi's future if she doesn't change. ^^ THAT.

Quote:

I think you're mistaken. I didn't see any mention of distorted time perception. They very clearly stated that the last video that piqued their interest was BRILLANTE. Not that it's been over 20 years since they last saw an interesting video.

And be aware, time is relatively different for all of us. For me, it's a lot faster because I'm going on 26 than it is for someone who is 18. A year makes up a much smaller percentage of my overall life so it doesn't feel as long to me as it does to someone younger than me. Keep that in mind in the future.

EDIT: I totally get that this is just a rant and wouldn't change anything. But still, my feelings on Ayu right now are that I get my hopes up for a new release only to feel like she really didn't make an effort to make it a gift at all.

Last edited by orbitalaspect; 10th December 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:33 AM
still alone Initiate

^hihi glad u understood what i mean :3

set made my me

Old 10th December 2012, 04:45 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
oh god.
i would die of laughter if ayu had a cover like that.

sunrise/sunset was just crap photoshop

A summer best was also just crap photoshop.

But a cover like seiko's would be SO BAD THAT IT WOULD BE AMAZING/HILARIOUS.
granted, I'm probably the only fan that would truly love an ayu cover like that....
just SO BAD, its amazing.
decomposed mcdonalds french fries aint got nothin' on that kinda cover.

Id be crying and laughing:
"what has she been reduced to? LOL thats hilarious! I can't believe she's doing this! Oh I'm gonna pee myself! just look at it, she's touching herself"

oh thanks for the image XD
Old 10th December 2012, 04:53 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
I know it sounds super critical, and I really don't mean to be a jerk. But she really isn't trying here. It's not like I'm making this up. Just look back at videos like 1 LOVE, then look at videos like Sparkle... then look at Wake me up, then at You&Me. Look at videos like ourselves, or like Free&Easy, then look at Song 4 u. There isn't an attempt to put on a show anymore.
Oh my God, 1LOVE's video is so epic! I was thinking the other day how that is a prime example of a great, entertaining PV by her with a well-spent budget. Not to mention, Ayu looks the hottest she has ever looked in a video and she plays the part extremely well!

I don't think she has a true vision for her career right now. In the past it has been "I want to do THIS next" and now it has become "what can I do next..."

Last edited by Zeke.; 10th December 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10th December 2012, 05:06 AM
GREEN Initiate

^ i think its a little different then that.. I think she has a true sense of who she is and she is showing us through her PV's... I just think people don't like who she is. lol

Quote:
Ayumi has only tried on a new sound for approximately one record before ditching it for a new sound on the next record, which makes it difficult to keep up and stay interested if there's not a smooth transition from the style of one album to another. Good examples are going from GUILTY to NEXT LEVEL... two VERY different records.

I'm genuinely not trying to be an ******* about it. But it's very disappointing that she's heading down Seiko Matsuda road. In 5 years, THIS could VERY likely be our dear Ayu:

Do you want that? I don't. I really don't want Ayu playing with herself on an album cover.

That's Ayumi's future if she doesn't change. ^^ THAT.
The bolded is because she does change and this is way I like her... i dont know if it was you or someone else, but they were complaining about staying stale like Mariah Carry, well there you have it, you cant ask for change then complain that she changes too much.

As for Seiko... all you are is comparing one picture... you mention nothing about the music. Quite frankly if ayumi looked like that at 24 (yes Seiko was 42 when she took that picture) then she can pose any damn way she feels like, because the woman looks amazing. (Even today she looks amazing, almost 10 years later).
EDIT: I also forgot to mention confident at this age to do something like this.

But going to the music, which is what I was comparing to ayumi and seiko... This IS what she is doing... the singles stop or slow down (right now she has stopped, it doesnt mean she is never coming out with one though). The albums come about once to (sometimes) twice a year.

this happens to all artist... and any artist that doesnt change their sounds with the times, dies, musically. Ayumi has changed her sound over and over again, and she has started to go her own way... also I think she has had about the same type of sound since Love Songs... with a few differences here and there (party queen being the biggest)

Last edited by TeamAyu2004; 10th December 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
『again』, 浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, oricon