m-flo loves ayu in new album 『FUTURE IS WOW』 - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 5th March 2014, 08:14 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Ayu isn't really known for just doing one thing. If anything, she's known for playing with everything. She has things that remain consistent but there are also things that are pretty far beyond her usual sound.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:16 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
I don't think it's bad to dislike change, especially big change. Say if you like a certain artist because of they style of music they make, it's not illogical that you won't like it when they cease to make that style.

For example, if you're a fan if a country music or folk music star, and then all of a sudden that artist makes an all out club-banger, you aren't going to like it.

I'm fine with the release myself. But urban is not something I ever want her to pursue continually. That's what Namie and Kumi are for. And they own it way better than ayu can or ever will.
Actually, on recent years they do more electro rather than urban (and it's understandable since it's more popular on recent years), but ayu pretty much owns in the electro, and that's just thinking on Sparkle alone. It's just that ayu doesn't do enough of it... Most of ayu's recent stuff were rock, mid tempo and ballads with an electronic song occassionly. I think she needs an album with more up beat or electro stuff, or not necessarily electro, but I actually like this m-flo song so I wouldn't mind some songs of that style. And Feel the love, personally for me, is a slayer as well.

Oh and Wake me up. Yes, ayu slays on the j-electronic pop scene. Even if she does it less than the peers and differently from yasutaka nakata and perfume or even a bit different than western usual electro club hit. The "problem" is that her albums are not full of these stuff.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 5th March 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:16 PM
Initiate

I love her vocals here, but the rap part sounds so cute I can't help laughing every time. I hope on her next album her signing vocals sounds as smooth.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:20 PM
YOU Initiate

Her actual singing is really good and she's hitting some high notes without sounding like she's in discomfort. So that's awesome. But I can't take her seriously when she raps. She just sounds too cute. Haha! Hopefully, I can warm up to this.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:26 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
Actually, on recent years they do more electro rather than urban (and it's understandable since it's more popular on recent years), but ayu pretty much owns in the electro, and that's just thinking on Sparkle alone. It's just that ayu doesn't do enough of it... Most of ayu's recent stuff were rock, mid tempo and ballads with an electronic song occassionly. I think she needs an album with more up beat or electro stuff, or not necessarily electro, but I actually like this m-flo song so I wouldn't mind some songs of that style. And Feel the love, personally for me, is a slayer as well.

Oh and Wake me up. Yes, ayu slays on the j-electronic pop scene. Even if she does it less than the peers and differently from yasutaka nakata and perfume or even a bit different than western usual electro club hit. The "problem" is that her albums are not full of these stuff.
The problem is Ayu's attempts at EDM are always 5 years late. Every EDM track she tries is dated long before she even releases it... Wake me up is so 2008 it's almost painful.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:31 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Wake me up was done for a while before they actually released it.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:59 PM
LIMIT Initiate

i really don't like the m-flo part. ayu's part is nice, but m-flo's just sounds really dumb to me
Old 5th March 2014, 09:03 PM
appears Initiate

I like it. It's something new for her
Old 5th March 2014, 09:10 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
The problem is Ayu's attempts at EDM are always 5 years late. Every EDM track she tries is dated long before she even releases it... Wake me up is so 2008 it's almost painful.
It doesn't matter if it still sounds that good! It's like you will stop listening to music that was released before 2014. The dated thing is overrated. People still love A Song for xx and that was "dated" even at the time as well.

As long as the song are slayers, from what year the style is, doesn't really matter. She can release an 80s EDM for all I care. If it sounds good it's welcome in my book.

Besides, I wouldn't exaggerate with Wake me up, it doesn't sound that old. With Feel the love, it has beats that I'm sure that even David Guetta still uses nowadays. It's just that they don't make it sound like what are on the radios, or Rihanna-style. And maybe it's better, since maybe it's a sound ayu wants for herself, for others it can sound dated, or whatever. Dunno. Feel the love doesn't sound like JLO's Waiting for tonight.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 5th March 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:20 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
It doesn't matter if it still sounds that good! It's like you will stop listening to music that was released before 2014. The dated thing is overrated. People still love A Song for xx and that was "dated" even at the time as well.

As long as the song are slayers, from what year the style is, doesn't really matter. She can release an 80s EDM for all I care. If it sounds good it's welcome in my book.

Besides, I wouldn't exaggerate with Wake me up, it doesn't sound that old. With Feel the love, it has beats that I'm sure that even David Guetta still uses nowadays. It's just that they don't make it sound like what are on the radios, or Rihanna-style. And maybe it's better, since maybe it's a sound ayu wants for herself, for others it can sound dated, or whatever. Dunno. Feel the love doesn't sound like JLO's Waiting for tonight.
I actually don't mind music sounding dated generally. LOL I love the production on my name's WOMEN for example even though it too was 5-6 years behind in a lot of respects. Wake me up is just too generic for my taste, coupled with the fact that it was a leftover from 5 years prior makes it being dated somewhat unforgivable to me. I'd love if Ayu did an 80s throwback song, though. I'd kill for it tbh.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:22 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think Ayu's main thing is that she needs to push the arrangers harder or demand something else from them, because the lyrics are there... the compositions are there... but then the 'sound' could probably use some freshness. I think that's probably why a lot of people enjoyed Love songs since it was a fusion of her usual Ayu sound and the Komuro feel.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:36 PM
Voyage Initiate

I'm really liking what I'm hearing! Her voice sounds great on the chorus - can't wait to hear the full version. And maybe we'll get a PV?
Old 5th March 2014, 09:38 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The most likely scenario is a lyric video, I think.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:54 PM
rainy day Initiate

She does jump around genres and always has, but it's more like incorporating elements into the Hamasaki ayumi sound.

Namie and Ku have been doing electro, but they still sprinkle in a little ghetto in the mix now and then.

Wake me up I do not believe was finished or "leftover" entirely. I believe the composition was lying around for a while and she finally decided to bring light to it. Not like it was set to go on a harddrive somewhere. I do believe she said that was the case with another track on LOVE again though...?

That being said, I feel Wake me up is one of her best songs. It's has the attitude of Sparkle, that Hamasaki Ayumi powerhouse fierceness, while still managing to sound innovative. She's had electronic elements in many of her songs, but Eake me up was just slightly different enough to set it apart.

=> It certainly was the most modern sounding production she's released in a LONG time that still sounded like her persona of classic material. The rest of LOVE again had very flat and stale arrangements.

Last edited by Zeke.; 5th March 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 5th March 2014, 10:18 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Ugh, let Ayu do new things, this is "Party Queen" all over again. >.< Ya'll just a bunch negative bitches loljk

If Ayu does something out of ordinary people complain. If Ayu stick to her usual style, people complain. For short, she's f***ed either way.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:02 PM
End of the World Initiate

It has to grow on me but I'm glad she's trying something different.

Find my works here: twitter | tumblr

Old 5th March 2014, 11:04 PM
Because of You Initiate

am i the only one that thinks she sounds absolutelly stunning during chorus. Her voice is so...easy on the ears and light. I love it. The song is not my cup of tea for sure, but i am hoping to hear more of her voice like that. Stunning. I might just be cutting of the chorus and the singing parts out & playing that on repeat xD

also i don't want her to stick to ballads or rock songs or whatever, i want her to stick to being epic and awesome.PERIOD.

Last edited by BlackSilence; 5th March 2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 5th March 2014, 11:48 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Oh my goodness...

When she's singing, she sounds heavenly. Her vocals are really good here. But, when she starts to rap... I can deny that an uncontrollable burst of laughter escapes me every single time. It's just so weird to hear! I like it though! I love it when she tries new things.
Old 6th March 2014, 03:45 AM
No way to say Initiate

LOL the people that dictate what genres Ayu should be doing are totally missing the message of the song~ she will always be the queen and she'll do it her own way~
Old 6th March 2014, 04:17 AM
from your letter Initiate

About the "dated" sounding: let's put Xtina's Back to Basics into the trash then...

Geez, music doesn't really have a date if it's good enough to stand out.

Tags
future is wow, m-flo, my way