[romaji & translation] Lady Dynamite - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 5th April 2010, 08:03 PM
still alone Initiate

thanks masa.

Quote:
Your story is way too long
I'm tired from glancing up
is this supposed to mean like, "rolling my eyes"?

♫set by ownsarai♫
☆We are One, A World is One☆
♥ayu i love you with MY ALL♥

Old 5th April 2010, 11:23 PM
Replace Initiate

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm also curious about the last two lines. Is Ayu implying that she'd be happy to re-introduce herself to the "boys" when they get to the same destination? Or is she saying she's going to pretend she doesn't know them? Does she want unity with them, or does she want to distance herself?
Old 6th April 2010, 12:05 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

thanks masa! I like this song!

IG | YT | PR

Old 6th April 2010, 01:12 AM
Depend on you Initiate

I suggested "coquettish glance" in #15 but it seems masa-san chose "glancing up".

Regarding "How do you do", I think she wants to distance herself.
I thought
> Say to me "How do you do", boys.
might be able to convey it but I'm not very sure.

Anyway I know it's a hard job to translate the lyrics with confidence and I thank masa-san a lot!!
Old 6th April 2010, 09:54 AM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oji-i-san View Post
I suggested "coquettish glance" in #15 but it seems masa-san chose "glancing up".

Regarding "How do you do", I think she wants to distance herself.
I thought
> Say to me "How do you do", boys.
might be able to convey it but I'm not very sure.
"Uwamezukai" is "looking at someone from under one's brows", and not "rolling one's eyes". Sometimes it means "coquettish glance" as oji-i-san said. But I think it doesn't so in this case. She is listening to the man's talking. She is fed up with it and she doesn't feel like looking at his face. So she is glancing him up occasionally.

Regarding "How do you do", I agree with oji-i-san. But I think "Say to us" is better than "Say to me", if some more words are necessary to clear the meaning.
Old 6th April 2010, 01:29 PM
independent Initiate

Haha I love lyrics. Reminds me of Jade Valerie's Uh Lala & Superstar.

Thanks masa!

Koda Kumi Fan since 2003 * ~ * ~ * ~ * Instagram

Old 6th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
"Uwamezukai" is "looking at someone from under one's brows", and not "rolling one's eyes". Sometimes it means "coquettish glance" as oji-i-san said. But I think it doesn't so in this case. She is listening to the man's talking. She is fed up with it and she doesn't feel like looking at his face. So she is glancing him up occasionally.

Regarding "How do you do", I agree with oji-i-san. But I think "Say to us" is better than "Say to me", if some more words are necessary to clear the meaning.
I agree that "uwamezukai" is "looking at someone from under one's brows".

The question is how to interpret it and how to say it in English.

According to your interpretation, she is fed up with men's talks and so (i.e. as a result) she sometimes does "glancing up". Do I understand you correctly? In that case, I'm afraid your translation "I'm tired from glancing up" is not saying what you think, unfortunatelly.

"男達の話に fed up した結果として uwamezukai をしている" ということと "uwamezukai をすることに疲れた" とでは論理が異なっていると思います。 (話に fed up して、相手の顔をちゃんと見ないようになって、それさえも長く続けているうちに疲れてしまった、と長めに説 明すれば論理は通りますが。 あと、次に出てくる相槌を打ってあげている行為を考えてみても、その前の上目 遣いは同様の行為と感じるのが普通だと思います。)

I think "uwamezukai mo tukareta shi" is "I'm tired from doing uwamezukai", and it means she has been trying to do "uwamezukai" while she's listening to men's talks.

I believe Ayu is saying here that women do "uwamezukai" as a kind of service when they listen to men's talks.

(and I guess the listeners of this album can feel the similar idea when they hear Sexy little things because there are expressions such as "urunda hitomi", "kakko tsukerareru kankyou teikyou shiteru no", and "anata wa kono te no ue".)

Last edited by oji-i-san; 6th April 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 6th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

Quote:
According to your interpretation, she is fed up with men's talks and she sometimes does "glancing up". Do I understand you correctly?
話に fed up して、相手の顔をちゃんと見ないようになって、それさえも長く続けているうちに疲れてしまった、と長めに説 明すれば論理は通りますが。
Yes, that's what I mean. So it seems I should change back the part to "I'm tired of". And how about the idea of adding "you"? That is...

I'm tired of glancing you up

And this song and "Sexy little thing" are different songs. I don't agree with the idea of linking these two songs.

Last edited by masa; 6th April 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:25 PM
No way to say Initiate

Thanks for the translation! These lyrics are so sassy Ayu XD
Old 7th April 2010, 12:19 AM
Two of us Initiate

Thanks for the translation! Wow ayu isn't afraid to say how she feels in this song lol
Old 7th April 2010, 01:21 AM
Depend on you Initiate

^
^
^
well, I couldn't imagine that you really interpret the line in that way.

(and I'm not saying Lady Dynamite and Sexy little things are linked. I just thought members here in AHS would feel interesting when they noticed some of common/similar things in different ayu's songs.)

EDIT: I would translate the related lines as follows but as always this is just my idea.

> It's enough, your story is too long, you know
> I've got tired from giving you a coquettish glance
> My voice to nod at you has toned down by two-pitch
> Unfortunately

hmm, after making this translation, I realized this might be a little too sexy. But my basic idea is that she sings that women do "uwamezukai" and a nod as a kind of service/manner to men when they listen to men's talks. Women do so if men's talks are ok. (and when the talks are too ridiculous or long, she says "tell it to your mamas, boys!" haha)

Last edited by oji-i-san; 7th April 2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

I wrote previously that sometimes "uwamezukai" means "coquettish glance". But after thinking again, I correct my previous words. "Uwamezukai" may be used as the coquettish means, but it doesn't have coquettish nuance itself. Maybe you are confusing this word with "nagashime" or something like that, aren't you?
Old 7th April 2010, 01:05 PM
Depend on you Initiate

^
haha, may I restate your idea to confirm?

Do you mean that ...

(1) the original meaning(意味) of the word "uwamezukai" is "looking at someone/something from below". In other words, the original meaning of "uwamezukai" doesn't have the meaning of "coquettish".

(2) but the action of "uwamezukai" can be used by a woman as a way/means(手段) to attract a man. In other words, "uwamezukai" can be used for a coquettish purpose.

... ???

Then, yes, I agree. So, what's your point? This means we can translate "uwamezukai" as "looking at someone from below", "coquettish glance", etc. I believe we are discussing based on this understanding. ^^;

And of course I know the difference of "uwamezukai" and "nagashime" and I know that these two words can be used in similar situations.

Anyway I'm happy that members in AHS see this thread and get interested in what ayu sings when we (masa-san and I) bring up this thread.
Old 7th April 2010, 02:22 PM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

Quote:
Do you mean that ...

(1) the original meaning(意味) of the word "uwamezukai" is "looking at someone/something from below". In other words, the original meaning of "uwamezukai" doesn't have the meaning of "coquettish".

(2) but the action of "uwamezukai" can be used by a woman as a way/means(手段) to attract a man. In other words, "uwamezukai" can be used for a coquettish purpose.
That's right. So you think "uwamezukai" is used for a coquettish purpose in this song, and I don't think so. I think "uwamezukai" shows her disliking and disgust. I have to say this is the difference of our interpretations.
Old 7th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Depend on you Initiate

^
yep, i agree that we have different interpretations of the original Japanese line. ^^
I tried to explain why I believe it has the coquettish meaning at the #67 and #71 posts, but I couldn't, unfortunately.

I thank you for your work as always and hope your explanation/translation satisfies the members who asked about the line !!

Last edited by oji-i-san; 7th April 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 7th April 2010, 07:20 PM
WE WISH Initiate

wow... was she angry when she wrote this?
Old 7th April 2010, 07:53 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
And you restart your glib and flat speech
In a loud voice
This feels a bit strange to me... since this song is very "fierce" and this phrase doesn't have the attitude that I feel from it.

Maybe it could be like this:
Quote:
And you keep chattering on
In a loud voice
http://japanese.about.com/blqow16.htm

Just a suggestion.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:24 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa View Post
That's right. So you think "uwamezukai" is used for a coquettish purpose in this song, and I don't think so. I think "uwamezukai" shows her disliking and disgust. I have to say this is the difference of our interpretations.
あのね、漢字の歌詞載せてくれませんかな?~ローマ字読みにくいんですけどね。。。

Also 上目...

I think this is very simple. We all know Ayu is short, and she has to continuously looking up to listen to the guy's story, so it's getting tiring.

あゆは男の子と話しててね、それであゆの身長は低いんで、ずっと 上目で話してて、その男の子の話すごい長くて、疲れたわけじゃない?あゆより男の子はたいてい背が高いから こそ。

EDIT:

Also, I don't think "Hajimemashite" is how do you do...
I think it's "Get going." "Just start it."
How do you do really doesn't make sense,
Because first she says "even though our destinations might be the same"
and she keeps talking about how boys are so tiresome, so why would she suddenly say such a thing?

日本語で説明すると、「はじめまして」って「How do you do」っておかしくない?この場合だったら?この曲は「男に疲れた」とか「男は邪魔」の意味があっ て、
でそういうことについて歌い続けたんだけど、最後に、「はじめまして」って「How do you do」って絶対おかしい。つまり、「How do you do」より「はじめよう」っていう感じがある気がする。

Last edited by maikaru; 7th April 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 05:37 AM
Depend on you Initiate

wow, several topics are attractive but I'd like to focus myself on one (or two ^^ ).

To maikaru-san,
In this situation of the song, a guy tells her his story taking a long time. I think it's natural to have a picture that they are seated. Besides, in a situation you imagined, she could turn her whole face upward. She wouldn't need to lift only her eyes. In that situation, she wouldn't need to use the word "uwamezukai", I believe.

To masa-san (maybe this is my last attempt),
Could you imagine the situation just, like 10 minutes, before the current situation of this song? Your idea is that she wasn't looking straight at the guy. Then, how could she keep nodding ("aizuchi wo utsu") at him positively (with high tone) at the same time?

My interpretaion is that in a general situation she tries to be like (haha, too exaggerating, though) and (nodding) as a manner/service to men when she hears men's talk. But unfortunately in the situation of the song the guy's talk is too long and she gets tired from listening to it, and she's stating such facts in this part of the song. Of course her feeling in this situation is like "you are hopeless" (in other words, she's giving the guy her eye-rolling at heart) but it's not written directly in this part of the lyrics.

Let me bring my translation again. This is just a suggestion.:
Quote:
It's enough, your story is too long, you know
I've got tired from giving you a coquettish glance
My voice to nod at you has toned down by two-pitch
Unfortunately

Regarding truehappiness's point, I'd like to wait for the official lyrics. (Do we have a HQ scan already?)

Last edited by oji-i-san; 8th April 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:24 AM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikaru View Post
あのね、漢字の歌詞載せてくれませんかな?~ローマ字読みにくいんですけどね。。。

Also 上目...

I think this is very simple. We all know Ayu is short, and she has to continuously looking up to listen to the guy's story, so it's getting tiring.

あゆは男の子と話しててね、それであゆの身長は低いんで、ずっと 上目で話してて、その男の子の話すごい長くて、疲れたわけじゃない?あゆより男の子はたいてい背が高いから こそ。

EDIT:

Also, I don't think "Hajimemashite" is how do you do...
I think it's "Get going." "Just start it."
How do you do really doesn't make sense,
Because first she says "even though our destinations might be the same"
and she keeps talking about how boys are so tiresome, so why would she suddenly say such a thing?

日本語で説明すると、「はじめまして」って「How do you do」っておかしくない?この場合だったら?この曲は「男に疲れた」とか「男は邪魔」の意味があっ て、
でそういうことについて歌い続けたんだけど、最後に、「はじめまして」って「How do you do」って絶対おかしい。つまり、「How do you do」より「はじめよう」っていう感じがある気がする。
最近ちょっと って最近じゃない
前から気づいてたけど
支配欲とか独占欲が
強いのはわかる だけど

ほら昔からよく聞くじゃない
寝言なら寝て言うものよって
起きてるんなら もう少しましな
あくびのでない話にして

だってその武勇伝って
尾びれも背びれも
ついてもはや原形
留めてないとかなんでしょう

悪いけど黙っててくれる
あたし達の声が聞こえない
どうしても喋りたいんなら
ママに言ってね坊やたち

いい加減話長いんだけど
上目遣いも疲れたし
相槌を打つ声も2トーン
下がってきたわ 残念ながら

ほら昔からよく聞くじゃない
男のロマンだとかってね
だけどそれって言葉にできない
想いを本来指すものよ

なのに首を縦にしか
振らない群れ成して
大きな声でペラペラの
薄っぺらい演説大会

悪いけど道開けてくれる
あたし達そこ通りたいの
行き先がもしも一緒でも
はじめましてよ 坊やたち

Regarding "Uwamezukai", I think the reason you say is possible. In other wods, she is doing "uwamezukai" because she dislike him or because she is shorter than him.

Regarding "Hajimemashite", I think it's better to wait fir the official lyrics to be out.

Last edited by masa; 15th April 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Tags
hamasaki ayumi, lady dynamite, lyrics, masa, rock'n'roll circus, translation