Ugh, I have to say this. - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Old 21st May 2008, 03:04 AM
Rule Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzi View Post
^ It's probably just best to never refer to people as a certain group. That's what I've learned.
That would be the easiest way out
Old 21st May 2008, 04:06 AM
SAKURA Initiate

i never even knew of the word oriental until now, lol. guess you learn something new everyday.

Lisa on social media @ twitter & tumblr!

Old 21st May 2008, 04:09 AM
Banned

^I thought it meant a person who was of a different ethnicity than you. Yea, you do learn something new everyday.
Old 21st May 2008, 04:10 AM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

umm i asked my mom..and she said it's just an adjective, that oriental isn't insulting @_@ i don't think any one called me that before, but i wouldn't be mad...
isn't oriental asian!? chinese?
Old 21st May 2008, 04:38 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy408 View Post
umm i asked my mom..and she said it's just an adjective, that oriental isn't insulting @_@ i don't think any one called me that before, but i wouldn't be mad...
isn't oriental asian!? chinese?
I think oriental is meant to mean asian but if someone called me oriental I would be like o_o, Honestly I don't find oriental offensive at all .

Old 21st May 2008, 04:46 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
It's very old fashioned term I believe, that's where some of the negative associations might come from...

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 21st May 2008, 05:47 AM
Startin' Protector

My anthro prof (who is an ethnic Korean) wouldn't tell us why, but my friend who got quite heated by the idea said it was because you're saying their region is inferior to yours. @_@ (she said it in a lot angrier way towards me, but eh, we won't go there).

Then there's the term "American" which goes every which way these days.
Old 21st May 2008, 06:23 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

To me, "oriental" seems more suited for objects like vases, but I wouldn't be offended if someone referred to me as "oriental." Asian is more common and politically correct, but I know some people who use "oriental" to refer to east Asian populations (China, Japan, Korea).
Old 21st May 2008, 06:28 AM
Rule Protector

I have no idea how oriental is offensive, it simply means "of the Orient" which is the countries of Asia/East Asia. Some people just look for insults, it's ridiculous. Sounds more like a way of getting attention to me.
Old 21st May 2008, 07:23 AM
Sexy little things Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My anthro prof (who is an ethnic Korean) wouldn't tell us why, but my friend who got quite heated by the idea said it was because you're saying their region is inferior to yours. @_@ (she said it in a lot angrier way towards me, but eh, we won't go there).

Then there's the term "American" which goes every which way these days.
I don't even understand how that could mean your region is better than theirs. O_o Could you explain more what they said? I just don't get it. I don't understand how that came about. I always thought that the word oriental made them sound more...I dunno...intelligent? Advanced? Mysterious? Wise? Worldly? That's how I always interpreted it.

I took a class on what oriental means, and I still don't know.

But I agree with whoever said it, I always associate objects like vases more with oriental than people. O_o
Old 21st May 2008, 07:36 AM
dddaiyamondo

Okay, for everyone who doesn't understand "Oriental" and its negative connotations...

Quote:
One reason for its perceived offensiveness has to do with the meaning
of the root word, Orient. This term is derived from the Latin word
oriens, referring to where the sun rises in the east. Since oriental
is used to describe places (and people) that are to the East only in
relation to Europe, the term is considered by some to be Eurocentric.

But more likely, the real issue is its connotations stemming from the
times when Europeans viewed the Orient as “exotic lands full of
romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable
customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated
feel
, and as a noun in contemporary contexts … it is now widely taken
to be offensive.”
Everything I've ever heard leads me to believe that the word sounds a bit dated and possibly referring to imperialism in Asia, but there are no real racist connotations. I think "Oriental" sounds antiquated, but not necessarily offensive. Like "colored" for a black person. It was once a proper term, but it has since been replaced by other, more accurate and PC words.

I think the strangest thing that I've heard someone find offensive was "White" or "Caucasian". One of my ethnic studies professors was deeply offended whenever anyone used those words, and insisted that they had negative connotations. He made us say "European American" instead lol.

I also heard from him that putting a hyphen in "Asian-American" or "African-American" was offensive. So confusing!

Last edited by dddaiyamondo; 21st May 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 21st May 2008, 07:41 AM
Banned

^I still don't see how they can get offended by that so easily. It just seems like a word that could be brushed off and forgotten about. =/
Old 21st May 2008, 08:17 AM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv ~Venus~ View Post
^I still don't see how they can get offended by that so easily. It just seems like a word that could be brushed off and forgotten about. =/
I try to stay as PC as possible, but sometimes I think people get offended by stuff that they necessarily do not need to be. I agree with you, but that's just the way it is right now, so I always avoid using it
Old 21st May 2008, 12:07 PM
Startin' Protector

I stay PC just to not cause unncessary drama. (The woes of being a Libra born in the year of the Hare - but that's another thread, ha) However, I often feel that our society is becoming really PC to the point it's kinda ridiculous. Like I said before, seems like we should be issued a newsletter once a month just to learn what to say/not say since it's always changing - probably why I don't pay it much heed.
Old 21st May 2008, 07:56 PM
Because of You Initiate

There are plenty of people on this board who don't speak English well and use "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~" as a shorter way of saying "Japanese". From all the posts I've seen where people use the word it has not been used in offense, rather by people who don't understand the connotation that that specific shortening has in the United States.

Honestly though, all the talk of what's PC and what isn't is extremely irritating. People get offended by absolutely everything nowadays. If someone says, "you're gay, right?", that certainly wouldn't offend me because the denoation behind that specific word refers to my sexuality. If someone says something is oriental, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be talking about a person. Usually that word is only used to describe rugs and such. The Orient was what they referred to that region as and using oriental to describe something just does not seem offensive to me. At least the word "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~" has a known history behind it, as does the n-word and the f-word used to insult homosexuals.

Quote:
our society is becoming really PC to the point it's kinda ridiculous

Last edited by bondingo; 21st May 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 22nd May 2008, 03:07 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

yeah, uh well, different things are going to offend different people.

I think that, here in the forum, it's very easy to see when someone is trying to be offensive or not. I think that, like in all aspects of life, you should pay attention more to what people mean, instead of what they say. Sometimes it's difficult, in this situation, I don't quite think so.

I think most people use it as an abbreviation. I've used it once because I was referring to something my father said and I wanted to get his tone across. Either way, it's been banned at this forum.

As for "orient" I think it's meaning, is "east", or anything referring to the "East." At least that's how we read it in literature. For me it's simply the opposite of "occidental" which is west.

It's hard for me sometimes to understand people's offense at what seems a trivial matter to me...but I guess I can understand. For some reason, I don't like being called puerto rican...though I don't really know anything about the culture or about them...I think it was just what I grew up with, it was always offensive to call a mexican "puerto rican"...and something I try to now just dismiss.

I don't know. Like someone said before, words only have power when you let them. Knowledge is the way to overcome that.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 22nd May 2008, 03:10 AM
ever free Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondingo View Post
There are plenty of people on this board who don't speak English well and use "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~" as a shorter way of saying "Japanese". From all the posts I've seen where people use the word it has not been used in offense, rather by people who don't understand the connotation that that specific shortening has in the United States.

Honestly though, all the talk of what's PC and what isn't is extremely irritating. People get offended by absolutely everything nowadays. If someone says, "you're gay, right?", that certainly wouldn't offend me because the denoation behind that specific word refers to my sexuality. If someone says something is oriental, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be talking about a person. Usually that word is only used to describe rugs and such. The Orient was what they referred to that region as and using oriental to describe something just does not seem offensive to me. At least the word "pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~" has a known history behind it, as does the n-word and the f-word used to insult homosexuals.
OMGOSH I SO AGREE. People need to stop this PC crap. XD I know some words can be offsensive but oriental is not offensive =_= honestly I call myself that, I let other people call me that, I didn't even know it was offensive. Some words are offensive like the N word, but words like oriental shouldn't be taken offensively....

"Isn't it ironic that more people are interested in the maid rather than the queen of J-pop? Someone's losing their touch in the industry"
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:00 AM
Rule Protector

Quote:
However, I often feel that our society is becoming really PC to the point it's kinda ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondingo View Post
People get offended by absolutely everything nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
Like someone said before, words only have power when you let them. Knowledge is the way to overcome that.
Quoted for truth. Political correctness today has passed being considerate of other people and cultures and is far ahead of it. You can't say anything, it will be twisted into an insult, racism or whatever.
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:16 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybobory View Post
It's very old fashioned term I believe, that's where some of the negative associations might come from...
Yeah, I think it was back in the day when Asian countries were considered ~quirky foreign places~ (re: "uncivilized oddities") and people just referred to a certain section as "The Orient." I don't think this was all *that* long ago, actually, which is pretty scary.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 22nd May 2008, 10:25 AM
Initiate

I am getting annoyed at the Americans in the War who made pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ into a racist term in the first place. Now even if people use it for an abbreviation it'll be considered offensive @___@

I feel if such slurs are used as a joke between friends or in a way thats not meaning to be offensive then it should be okay. At my school we all call each others pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~, curries and bogans and I hear African people every calling each other the n word every day at the train station. Again everyones probably still not okay with using these terms.

i really hate that pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ is an insult, cause unlike other racial slurs it can be an abbreviation of it, whereas curries doesn't exactly equal indians/sri lankans. Before I knew 'pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~' offensive I had been using it for like over half my life. Damn WWII ;____;

Last edited by baka-ranger; 24th May 2008 at 06:23 AM.