1 LOVE lyric questions - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 4th December 2010, 03:32 AM
Who... Initiate

Question 1 LOVE lyric questions

I'm working on doing my own translations of Ayu lyrics for both Japanese practice and my collection, and I have a few questions about 1 LOVE.

I get that the song is basically about dealing with bull****, but these two statements confuse me:

"soko ni ireba hana wa kareru koto naku sakitsuzukeru sa" tte
("as long as you’re there, the flowers will bloom and never wither," they say)

"soko ni ikeba itsumo kirei na hana ga kazatte aru n deshō" tte
("there are always beautiful flowers around, if you care to go," they say [masa might have put it better on DivineAyu though])

I know Japanese metaphors often deal with nature, but these statements sound so out-of-place among the rest of the lyrics when translated to English. Are these quotes a reference to something cultural that I don't understand? Any thoughts? I'm not done with my own translation (which I'm doing from scratch, not based on an established translation), but here's masa's version for reference.

Also, I'm assuming Ayu's stated "1 LOVE" is making music, but I wanted to see if there were other interpretations of that too.
Old 4th December 2010, 08:17 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

I'm not sure about any cultural references, but the 1st one seems to be about people sucking up to her. "You're so perfect, that flowers will keep blooming just for you if you're here." Kinda like that. It fits with the next line ('An insured sleep talking with no adventure nor excitement') --> False compliments are boring and without excitement to her.

And the 2nd one seems to be about people looking at her as being a spoiled brat. "The place has to be decorated with flower or you won't show up." Like the way some artists won't show up to a concert unless the dressing room has scented candles or something. It also fits with the next line ('They look at me with their eyes with no mercy nor doubt') --> without doubt they automatically assume she is a spoiled brat.

Tags
1 love, lyrics, translation