[CHARTS + SALES] GUILTY - ORICON STYLE Thread 5 - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 20th June 2008, 07:51 AM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOyumi View Post
I agree with you, that's what happened with this album.. We all know her sales are decreasing, but the fact that this album didn't have any major single (like BLUE BIRD for Secret, it wasn't THAT big, but it was very successful). People in Japan didn't like t2m that much, and g/f wasn't a big hit as well.

And I don't like the overall visual concept of the album, it seems just lots of different themes thrown together. I think it's her worst album in these terms. But I like it anyway and I agree with the one who said the album seemed rushed; I already found Secret a rushed album, this one seemed even more. But anyway, it's probably not her fault, she always has so much to do, and create an album must be really difficult >__<
Just cuz we're used to bigger ayu sales, doesn't mean t2m and g/f weren't hits, remember that Ami's Delightful was considered a hit and it sold around 97 k. Same goes for Ku's Butterfly (125) and BoA's Winter Love, Shimatani's Garnet Moon and so on. Just the fact that the single sold over 100k means that the song was a pretty good/big hit. Even Ku's LOVE & HONEY only sold 150 k, and Ai Otsuka only ever had one single to sell more than 200 k. The good thing about Ayu's single sales is that they either go up or down, and not just down ^^ As for the albums, I am glad to see that GUILTY sold so well, as it wasn't as main stream as PLAY and it outsold it, and it even sold damn close to Kingdom with less singles, PVs, extras and less commercial/mainstream songs.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 20th June 2008, 12:11 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
Just cuz we're used to bigger ayu sales, doesn't mean t2m and g/f weren't hits, remember that Ami's Delightful was considered a hit and it sold around 97 k. Same goes for Ku's Butterfly (125) and BoA's Winter Love, Shimatani's Garnet Moon and so on. Just the fact that the single sold over 100k means that the song was a pretty good/big hit. Even Ku's LOVE & HONEY only sold 150 k, and Ai Otsuka only ever had one single to sell more than 200 k. The good thing about Ayu's single sales is that they either go up or down, and not just down ^^ As for the albums, I am glad to see that GUILTY sold so well, as it wasn't as main stream as PLAY and it outsold it, and it even sold damn close to Kingdom with less singles, PVs, extras and less commercial/mainstream songs.
I agree with all that.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:45 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^yup..great view about how the sales is GREAT !!

Old 20th June 2008, 04:11 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that they weren't big hits to push the album to great sales. And I don't think t2m was a hit.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:35 PM
ourselves Initiate

^
I agree t2m was not a hit. I was jut a song that ayu's regular fanbase enjoyed, a hit goes beyond that. Ayu just has a big number of regular fanatics/fans..
Old 20th June 2008, 06:55 PM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Ai Otsuka has had 3 singles sell more than 200k.
And I think it's wrong to say just 'cos those Ayu singles sold more than 100k they were 'hits'. Even by Ayu's current standards, t2m sort of bombed. Lowest selling Ayu single EVER (apart from her debut year).

Ayumi Hamasaki

Old 20th June 2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.night.raver View Post
Poor GUILTY. Everytime I forget that she didn't hit #1 it pops up out of nowhere and I have to be angered all over again.

Why would u get angry over that? *blinks* I mean, this isn't exactly the first time one of Ayumi's albums (overall) didn't hit #1 on the weekly charts.

As for sales or whatever, I have to say that t2m did bomb as well. It had a low debut week as well as a short charting week. If it by any chance did well digitally then I said say it was a hit.
Old 20th June 2008, 10:50 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
And I think it's wrong to say just 'cos those Ayu singles sold more than 100k they were 'hits'. Even by Ayu's current standards, t2m sort of bombed. Lowest selling Ayu single EVER (apart from her debut year).
My bad, Ai had 3 singles to sell over 200 k out of 19 ^^ but that wasn't the point, what I was trying to say is that, SOME ARTISTS would be happy to have a low selling single of 110 k or whatever t2m had.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 21st June 2008, 12:22 AM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv ~Venus~ View Post

Why would u get angry over that? *blinks* I mean, this isn't exactly the first time one of Ayumi's albums (overall) didn't hit #1 on the weekly charts.

As for sales or whatever, I have to say that t2m did bomb as well. It had a low debut week as well as a short charting week. If it by any chance did well digitally then I said say it was a hit.
But the albums that didn't get #1 were only remix albums and A BEST 2 -BLACK- which didn't get #1 because of A BEST 2 -WHITE-, that's why I think no one really cared much =P

Last edited by ayumisrael; 21st June 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 21st June 2008, 02:40 AM
Naturally Initiate

^Well, it's impossible for both A BEST 2 albums to be #1, so I don't think anyone was bothered at all. Lol XD
I think I'm not that bothered by GUILTY not reaching #1 anymore. I mean... the sales are good, it's not like the album was badly received, and it's not like Ayu suddenly lost a bunch of popularity, it was totally random. Bad luck. She lost her album streak, but oh well... life goes on XD So yeah, I think I've accepted it already.
Oh, but I have to agree T2M wasn't really a hit... they are good sales, but very "average" for Ayu's case. Like *Petit* said, Ayu has a strong fanbase, and they'll probably buy anything she releases, except maybe in case it totally sucks. I think you have to take the rest of the potential buyers in account when saying whether it was a hit or not. For some unknown artists, selling 50k means a lot, but I don't think that applies in this case...

チャレンジは馬鹿げたこと リスク 回避するように
愚かな計算して何を守るの?

my graphics shop >> here! <<
last.fm | facebook | twitter

Old 21st June 2008, 02:52 AM
Lelio Protector

Well ayu-mi-x 6 GOLD & SILVER sold 36,000 and 34,000 cut some thousands and those are the hardcore fans who will buy anything =P
t2m sold 110,000, it did average but still not bad for its state.
Old 21st June 2008, 04:06 AM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not really, you also have to take into consideration the amount of promotion it was given.

So by those standards, either glitter/fated or Mirrocle World have been her biggest bombs.

t2m had the usual promotion but nothing that big, and it was released in a month no one was selling good too.
Old 21st June 2008, 04:33 AM
Don't look back Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-pi View Post
Yep, I love WONDERLAND sooo much as well. And that's another one people seem to dislike, isn't it weird? o____O Well, with WONDERLAND at least, what I hear people say is that they don't like it because "it's creepy", which I guess makes sense, if you don't like creepy things XD (which I do) But with Marionette -prelude-, most people I see complaining about it say it's boring, and that's something I find very very bizarre hahaha.

And now that you mention it, yeah, MY STORY was quite balanced. And it's good how it managed it balance all the different things without sounding messy and "pointless", it has a good flow... mm. But the albums I can see Ayu's thoughts the most are the 3 first, maybe because from I am... onwards she started minding the listener more ("I didn't have the mental space to think of the listener..." and all that lol) I get a feeling that she starting trying to "translate" her lyrics to make them understandable for everyone, where her first writings were more "raw". But maybe that's just me, haha XD

Anyway, MW was a good start for the year, I've even seen some people who are not usually Ayu fans impressed by it, and that's always a good thing XD If she keeps this quality up, I'll really be looking forward to the next album. And if she keeps these SALES up (since MW is doing great right now) who knows what we can expect haha XD (though I still hope MW won't be included on the next album! XD)
MY STORY was the first album I bought!! haha..and yes, It was really gd. The ballads and the rock. EVERYTHING!
Wonderland is ok though i prefer Marionette -prelude- because I've been listening to the latter more hahaha...
(in those days, couldnt appreciate interludes...heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-pi View Post
Aww, I care about sales. I want good music to be recognized. It pisses me off when an artist releases a bunch of great albums that sell like crap, and then a crap album that sells great. And I'm always really really happy when an artist releases lame music and doesn't sell, and when they come up with something awesome, people start buying<3 Or like, when these really unknown underrated artists who make great music suddenly get recognized and become famous<3 Hahaha... and since I'm so used to Ayu's current status in the music industry, it's hard to think that one day she just won't be as famous anymore. But of course, sales are just a detail in the end ^^
Yea i agree. Good songs deserve to be bought and kept. Apparently, people don't see it like us though. They probably download Ayu's songs and buy someone elses...and no idea why that happens..