Are there any solo Jpop female artist who are active and worth following? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 21st February 2019, 01:06 AM
still alone Initiate

Are there any solo Jpop female artist who are active and worth following?

The title says it.

I feel like basically Jpop died for me and there are no artists I like who are active anymore. Everyone I was following has either retired or went on a hiatus, or simply isn't releasing anything anymore.
Old 21st February 2019, 04:59 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I'm assuming you don't need recommendations for active established artists like ayaka, BENI, Miliyah Kato, MISIA, miwa, Leo Ieiri (not that I would recommend her anyway, I haven't liked a song of hers in a few years)... I don't know what kind of music you're into, but I'll try to list any slightly less prolific female artists I think are worth checking out.

Aimer
She's really blown up over the last few years, so you've probably heard of her already. She's a versatile artist who mostly does different flavors of pop-rock, and she has a pretty extensive discography already, so I'm sure you'd find something you like.
Sailing
ONE
us

eill
She's indie, and she only has one album out, but I would recommend checking that album out! She's a promising modern pop artist.
MAKUAKE
FUTURE WAVE

iri
A low-voiced singer-songwriter who makes hip-hop influenced R&B/pop music. She's going to release her third album, Shade, in two weeks!
Shade
Corner
Watashi
rhythm

KIRA
She's an hip-hop/reggae-influenced singer-producer.
SPACEY LOVE
Nadeshiko SOUL
JEALOUSY

Mirei Touyama / MIREI
She's an amazingly talented young R&B singer.
Negai ~Ano Koro no Kimi e~
My Way

NakamuraEmi
She makes acoustic hip-hop-pop. She's a really fun artist, one of my favourites to follow in the last few years! And she just released her fourth major-label album, NIPPONNO ONNAWO UTAU Vol. 6, today! (Though if you're going to listen to more of her, I'd recommend starting with NIPPONNO ONNAWO UTAU Vol. 4 or NIPPONNO ONNAWO UTAU BEST).
Ame no you ni Naiteyare
Major Debut
YAMABIKO

RIRI
Another young R&B-pop singer, she has a more modern and global take on the genre (she kinda seems to want to be the Japanese Ariana Grande).
HONEY
Maybe One Day

Seiko Oomori
I've seen her labeled an "anti-idol"; I'd probably describe her as a successor of Shiina Ringo, bringing an intense, challenging, unpolished rock edge to mainstream pop.
Shinigami
TOKYO BLACK HOLE

Shishido Kavka
She's not the most active artist, but she's been releasing albums steadily since 2013. She's a singer-drummer who makes energetic pop-rock music.
Bane no Uta
Love Corrida

yanaginagi
She's a soft-voiced singer-songwriter who came up through the utaite scene on NicoNico. She is currently signed on NBCUniversal and is firmly in the anison ghetto, so you may not have heard of her though she's been releasing her sweet pop-rock (and occasionally some off-the-wall stuff) on a major label since 2012. She just released two best-ofs, LIBRARY and MUSEUM, at the beginning of this year.
Meimoku no Kanata
Sweet Track
Tokohana
Mitsuba no Musubime

And if you feel like branching out to female duos/acts with a female frontwoman...

Haruka to Miyuki
They're a female alt-rock duo who have made some varied and powerful rock music.
(Most of their stuff is blocked from YouTube because Sony Music Japan is a hateful entity that plagues us international J-pop fans.)
Kiseki wo Inoru Koto wa mou Shinai
Vanilla

Inshow-ha
They're a female indie pop-rock duo. Their style is really cool and a little quirky.
Lemon
Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! One More Kiss!!
BEAM!

Suiyoubi no Campanella
They're a trio where the female singer, KOM_I, is the only member who really appears in public, so it might as well be her solo act. They make cutting-edge genre-blending music mainly influenced by electronica, dance pop and hip-hop, and they are famous for their quirky lyrics, interesting videos and unorthodox live performances. Please please please check them out.
Kaguya-hime
Melos
Aladdin
Unico
Medusa
Diablo
Old 21st February 2019, 05:16 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Aimyon is popular right now. I love her song Ai wo Tsutaetaidatoka

tumblr

Old 21st February 2019, 05:57 AM
GREEN Initiate

Depending on your style,
Mizuki, Nana is amazing. Shes been around since forever and I dont think she is leaving anytime soon.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:09 AM
still alone Initiate

Leo Ieiri

Very popular, started off as a miwa/YUI type and moving and changing as time goes by. Writes her own lyrics as far as I know and has a very unique sound and voice.

SHINE
Relax
Digest of her latest live tour TIME

KOKIA

Old school, been active since the '90s, never really been on top of the Oricon chart but she is still touring and releasing regularly. Writes her own lyrics, has a very unique style.

Ai no Melody
Hontou no Oto
sing+

Seriously, she has so much stuff from so many different albums I can't suggest her highly enough!

Aimer

She's already mentioned but that's how awesome she is!

Kachou Fugetsu
Ref:rain
Anata ni Deawanakereba
Old 21st February 2019, 08:58 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Besides those who others already mentioned , I would recommend Renka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q8T5qsHF8Y

Renka released her debut album Hoshi no Habataku Yoru wa just last month & I like her voice . She duet with AKIHIDE in My Little Clock which's 1 of the best songs in AKIHIDE's Kikai Jikake no Yuenchi -Electric Wonderland- album

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 21st February 2019, 02:24 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Another new female solo is milet, another singer-songwriter type.
She just debuted (successfully) under Sony with her single inside you digitally.
Her first EP called the same is released 03/06.

If you're not into singer-songwriter or anime song singers like Aimer or Aimyon you will have it hard finding somebody new. Cause that's what's popular right now.
Not another Namie.
Or else you'll have to look for the old ones, still enough very regularly active (ayu, Kuu, Miliyah Kato, Mika Nakashima, Ai Otsuka, Nana Mizuki, Mai Kuraki, miwa...)

The closest new one probably is Chanmina, an urban JPop artist.
She made some waves with her two debut minis, Miseinen and Chocolate.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 21st February 2019, 06:55 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

If you want an unique solo JPop female artiste , you can give Wakeshima Kanon a try , she has been in the business since 2008 and is still active

Kanon is unique in the sense that she plays a cello . But music wise , Kanon's older works are still the best as back then her music was produced by Malice Mizer/Moi dix Mois's Mana so it had a very dark eerie gothic vibe

Kanon's subsequent music became less darker as she had more control in creating her music but in the process , I feel they weren't able to match what Mana did for her

Another female artiste to consider is Ayasa , she plays the violin . While she doesn't sing , she plays a lot of very prominent anime songs . She opened for last Nov's C3 I Love Anisong here & she was really good onstage

Other female artistes who performed at last year's C3 I Love Anisong that I attended the showcase that worth to see if you like their music or not :

- Nishizawa Shiena ; she does rock music
- SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Tielle & Gemie ; Tielle & Gemie are the 2 female vocalists while SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] is a stage name of a DJ (I think) . If my memory didn't failed me , 1 of the ladies is bilingual as I remembered 1 of them singing a song that's almost 95% English

Lastly , another few more more you probably should check out

- Aoi Eir
- Fujita Maiko
- Sakamoto Maaya

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Last edited by KarenPang; 21st February 2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:38 PM
Sky high Protector

There are already a lot of artists I follow who were listed here. I'll just add :

Beverly : She has an amazing powerful voice. All her songs aren't great but as she has only 2 albums you should give her try because some tracks are worth.

Ai Shinozaki also have some good songs.

Anly is a singer-songwriter. If her first album is quite generic without being bad LOOP has more edgy songs.

If you want an artist with a more experimental sound you should try Annabel. she released some anime songs that are generic but her self-produced album are better.

If you like ballad and beautiful voice, you can try Uru.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:34 PM
Because of You Initiate

Dream Ami
Former member of E-Girls
Spotify Playlist

Hitomi Shimatani
Another veteran from the 90s
Spotify Playlist

DAOKO
A singer and rapper she's gaining a lot of popularity and has a lot of collabs
Spotify Playlist

Crystal Kay
Yet Another Veteran she's a japanese american she has great style
Spotify Playlist

MINMI
If you want a very upbeat and fun sound
Spotify Playlist

Thelma Aoyama
A pop and R&B singer. She is part Afro-Trinidadian and Japanese.
Spotify Playlist

BENI
I believe she's another japanese american artist, she has several albums with english covers of japanese songs and she just released her album CINEMATIC
Spotify Playlist

JUJU
Jazzy and Ballad artist with pop elements as well.
Spotify PLaylist

Mika Nakashima
I almost forgot about my beloved Mika, she has a mellow style like juju but she also does rock and pop.
Spotify Playlist

CHARA
Yet Yet Yet Another Veteran, chara just released a very nice album titled Baby Bump she's a cool style
Spotify Playlist

YUKI
Like Chara she has a very distinctive voice, she's more pop but she has some nice songs
Youtube TOP 30 best songs (previews)

Celeina Ann
Upcoming singer, she just released her debut album titled Departures
Spotify Playlist

Of course you need to listen to Utada Hikaru, Koda Kumi and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu but that's a given

Also I recommend these Playlist in Spotify, they update it regularly with great artist not just ladies, you should subscribe:

TOKYO RISING playlist

And even if you didn't ask for it I follow this Indie K-pop playlist that has a lot of great female singers since now I'm more into Indie Kpop:
K-Indie Picks

"Being part of a group like this, with you guys! is awesome! so I salute you all." (1st July 2010, 11:17 PM)
"Adiós." (8th May 2011, 02:13 PM)

Last edited by minkAYuko; 21st February 2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:43 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

iri ♥