Ayu's usage of "boku" in her lyrics - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 2nd June 2003, 10:22 AM
SEASONS Initiate

theres lots of ways to say "i" in korean too...depending on what ur trying to say... u can say na neun or juh neun (i am...) or if ur saying "my ..." it would be jae ... it could also be nuh i think...

Hold on to this moment...the only thing you can be sure of.
Old 2nd June 2003, 11:06 AM
Initiate

theres not many ways of saying " I " in french... actually theres none, I always has to go with a verb ^-^

if you wanted to say i buy, u say

" je achete " cant use Je buy itself, ^-^

All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last
All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be
And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby
And we are, we are, we are, we are
Free
In our love
We are free in our love...

Nelly Furtado ~~ TRY

Old 2nd June 2003, 11:55 AM
YOU Initiate

BUt you can use MOI, and J'ai...well...no...j'ai doesn't work...hm...french is mean to me.
Old 2nd June 2003, 12:01 PM
Initiate

yea, moi means " ME " not i lol it sounds silly if u use it, it cant be used much anyways! i been taught not to use it >,<

All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last
All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be
And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby
And we are, we are, we are, we are
Free
In our love
We are free in our love...

Nelly Furtado ~~ TRY

Old 2nd June 2003, 12:05 PM
YOU Initiate

moi...i use that a lot WITH my english.
Old 2nd June 2003, 02:13 PM
Connected Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by mimika
i wonder....why would there be sooooo many different ways of saying just "I" and "you" in one single language!!!
there are loads of different words for snow in eskimo's language... maybe its just a clutural difference...
Old 11th June 2003, 02:03 AM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

btw does anyone know why some words datz supposed to be in hiragana are written in katakana instead? like hikaru as in hikki's name..why does she use katakana instead of hiragana??

Thanks Omega Prime for the ava!!! And Delirium-Zer0 for reviving it!!
Old 11th June 2003, 04:58 PM
independent+ Advisor

From what I understand (I once asked this question at a Hikki forum before) it's just something to make her name look different and unusual and "cool." So intead of right "Hikaru" in Kanji like it would traditionally be written, she writes it in Katakana just to make it unusual and different. Just like Ayu writes "Ayumi" in Hiragana instead of Kanji. It also could possibly be a personal expression of her's since she did partially grow up in America and she goes to college in America so she uses the foreign loan word syllabary (sp, lol) because she's kinda sorta foreign, but not really. Just my personal guess. I don't know for sure.
Old 12th June 2003, 03:30 AM
A BALLADS Initiate

Whoah... such a complicated language, how am I going to learn this, hahaha !!
Old 12th June 2003, 05:33 AM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

haha...funny
so itz just like how some ppl call themselves Cyndi instead of Cindy???

Thanks Omega Prime for the ava!!! And Delirium-Zer0 for reviving it!!
Old 18th October 2003, 08:29 PM
BEST Initiate

Quick question about "Boku"

Hi, I'm just beginning to learn Japanese at college, and I had a question. In my recent vocab list, I saw the word "boku" defined as a word that only males use. So why does Ayu use it in some of her songs? An empowerment thing? Thanks in advance.
Old 18th October 2003, 08:34 PM
Banned

I don't have a definate answer for that, but I'd imagine it in the same way that people call boys with "chan" (usually used for girls). I think it's more of a familiarity with friends and such, vs. an "empowerment" over guys, although it may or may not be the case. Also, Ayu may use something like "bokutachi", which I think means "we", so perhaps that could also be where you heard it from
Old 18th October 2003, 08:42 PM
//hikari

You're exactly right. Its a female empowerment statement.

BoA and other artists are now starting to use it as well if I'm correct.
Old 18th October 2003, 10:36 PM
End roll Initiate

I'm a little late to throw in my thoughts, but here they are anyway. LOL These are all things taught to me by Japanese relatives and friends, so they should be pretty accurate. Although, everyone's got a different opinion, I would think.

Ayu may use boku as a form of empowerment and this is probably the most likely case. It's not like saying, "I am woman; hear me roar" however. I think it's more her explaining to the person in the song that she can be strong as well.

When she says bokutachi, it's often used in a very wide range. "Bokutachi ha shiawase ni naru tame..." She may well be talking about humans here, right?

Kimi is used very much these days as a term of endearment between lovers. Umm... I have heard everything from, "That's nice" to "That's a stupidity created by today's generation" in response to this trend. Some poeple think this sounds very unnatural because people used to use it talking to a subordinate. But it's two syllables, not as formal-sounding as anata (and it doesn't carry the connotation of "dear" from a wife to husband either). It's a nice-sounding word from a purely aesthetic view (judging from the sound of it alone). These days, I would say that the connotation in pop music and even in movies (?) is more of a term of endearment. Utada Hikaru uses it almost exlusively doesn't she?

Atashi as opposed to watashi is merely a femininization. Ayu usually used boku or watashi in her old songs, but switched to atashi when she began using it in her speech! I thought this was quite interesting. She stopped using "Ayu wa... nani nani" It now appears to be her habit to use "Atashi wa..." So I think that's really interesting.

What about songs like Free&Easy when she uses anata, kimi, boku, and atashi all in the same song? That's what I'm wondering. Where's Masa-san? We need his input. ^^
And I could walk that way...
Old 19th October 2003, 06:27 AM
BEST Initiate

Wait, what the---? I started this topic with my question. Why did my actual post get rammed all the way to the second page and then it says Mimika started the thread? That's not really cool....
Old 19th October 2003, 08:28 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by SheFliesHigher
Wait, what the---? I started this topic with my question. Why did my actual post get rammed all the way to the second page and then it says Mimika started the thread? That's not really cool....
That's because it's exactly the same topic. 2 threads to 1, saves visual space. ^^

Does anyone have the kanji of all those terms? I think usually they are written in kanji so knowing these words in hiragana doesn't really help...

Last edited by gakkun; 19th October 2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 19th October 2003, 02:18 PM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

1. The first person pronouns

There are many first person pronouns in Japanese, but those we commonly speak and hear are just four words --- boku, ore, watashi, atashi.
boku --- Usually used by a male only. Friendly (frank) word.
ore --- Usually used by a male only. Vulgar word.
watashi --- Formal word for both sex. But a boy usually never uses it.
atashi --- Usually used by a female only. Friendly (frank) word.
In other words,
Commonly a boy uses boku or ore and never use watashi.
Commonly a girl uses atashi or watashi.
Commonly a man uses watashi in his working places and uses boku or ore in his private life.
Commonly a woman uses watashi in her working places and uses atashi or watashi in her private life.
We must choose the right first person pronoun depending on the situations, which is rather bothersome even to Japanese people. Actually what I feel most envious with English language is that you can use "I" and "you" any time in every situation.

And as for the topic why Ayumi uses "boku" in some of her songs, I had already written my opinion in my article when I had touched the song, "Boys & Girls".

"She used the first person word "boku" (usually for male) for the first time in this song. I think it shows that this song is personal and, at the same time, for many contemporaries. There are only two songs in which she calls herself "boku" in this album, this song and "Fly high"." (from my article)

I'll write about second person pronouns tomorrow.

Last edited by masa; 20th October 2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 19th October 2003, 08:21 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by gakkun
Does anyone have the kanji of all those terms? I think usually they are written in kanji so knowing these words in hiragana doesn't really help...
In everyday speech, usually only watashi and kimi are written in kanji because it's just simpler to write the hiragana for the others since it can be determined through context.

@(킽)(watashi) - general way of saying "I" or "me", can be used by males or females, usually in a more formal settings. Girls can use "atashi", old people have a greater tendency of using "watakushi" (increased formality), and men in a commanding or "military" setting would used "ware" (and wareware for "we"). Plural: watashitachi, atashitachi
M/M@(_Ȃ)(anata) - general way of saying "you", mostly feminine. If you read manga, you'll see that they use _ (anta) for casual conversational speech like "suimasen" is used instead of sumimasen. Plural: anatagata
l@(ڂ_)(boku) - "I" or "me" for males. Though Ayu uses this a lot in her lyrics, I don't think women use this often in everyday conversational speech. Plural: bokutachi
N@()(kimi) - masculine "you", [can be] used by males towars females. Again, not used often by women in everyday speech. Plural: kimitachi
O@(܂)(omae) - masculine "you" indicating respect to a higher personage or use among males. Sometimes can be rough.
@()(ore) - a cool way of saying "I" or "me" for males, but only used with self-confident speech, like you wouldn't say "ore wa baka desu!" Plural: oretachi
Old 19th October 2003, 09:45 PM
No way to say Initiate

haha..everytime i hear "kimi" i automatically think of the chorus of hanabi -_- kimi woooo toko..lallala....and when i hear "anata" i automatically flash back to "key ~eternal tie ver~..haha i'm weird...anata ka...
Old 20th October 2003, 02:46 AM
-BOKU-

lol for a min i thought this was about me since my old username was boku ::relaxes::