Critique: 23rd Monster - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 22nd June 2021, 12:55 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I’m not asking anything of her, but that doesn’t mean I don’t hope for things. I’m just stating that she either doesn’t pay attention to recent trends, or she just doesn’t care. It wasn’t meant to be a negative, just an observation.

In the end, 23rd isn’t a commercial (on trend) song. If you’re into the 2007 era jpop songs, it’s a great track. If not, then maybe next time. For me, I prefer poppier songs and hope she returns to that sort of sound soon.

In terms of her deafness, I’d still hope that as a musician she still enjoys music and the music scene as much as she can… and it seems that for awhile she was uninspired by her own admission. Now that she’s stated that she’s back, I look forward to what she brings us.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 22nd June 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 22nd June 2021, 01:02 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

^ Just out of curiosity: if it were up to you, what kind of trend or sound would you like Ayu to follow/inspire her?

Old 22nd June 2021, 01:49 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

Oh if I had my dream album I don’t know it it would necessarily be on trend lol, but it would be a sound Ayu hasn’t revisited in a while, which is the more dreamy, ethereal sounds of RAINBOW. A nice album to escape too, something that’s light and poppy. Colorful visuals. Heck she could even have a “nightmare” portion of the album if it’s a full dream concept.

We often get quite heavy albums / videos / visuals / lyrics from Ayu, and sometimes I don’t want that. You can still be very thoughtful and interesting and insightful while being happy or fun or light in sound. Fairyland is a rather deep song but sonically it’s poppy and light, for example.

I miss those sorts of sounds, so I long for them most I suppose.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 22nd June 2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:36 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLuna&1LOVE View Post
I am not sure what we are really asking of her? Maybe I have read it incorrectly, but I interpret some of these posts pointing out that Ayu is not up to date, to whatever is 'latest music evolution' . But is that really what we need from her? We all loved her because of certain hits she released about 20 years ago, and it is amazing how long she is able to continue her career after that. Why reinvent the wheel while doing something great already that fits your sound and is recognizable for the fanbase?
With 23rd Monster, she takes us back to memory lane, some of us already pointed out it reminds them of GAME or About You... Idk man, but to me it seems like she cares about whatever her fanbase likes.

On another and more lighter note...
I can't imagine Ayu doin' a "WAP" but I am actually very intrigued if she takes inspiration of my chick Cardi
Not this.

Or this.

But I am ok with this.

And this

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 22nd June 2021, 07:56 PM
SEASONS Initiate

^please no. (Although I’ll take anything from her at this point lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
Oh if I had my dream album I don’t know it it would necessarily be on trend lol, but it would be a sound Ayu hasn’t revisited in a while, which is the more dreamy, ethereal sounds of RAINBOW. A nice album to escape too, something that’s light and poppy. Colorful visuals. Heck she could even have a “nightmare” portion of the album if it’s a full dream concept.

We often get quite heavy albums / videos / visuals / lyrics from Ayu, and sometimes I don’t want that. You can still be very thoughtful and interesting and insightful while being happy or fun or light in sound. Fairyland is a rather deep song but sonically it’s poppy and light, for example.

I miss those sorts of sounds, so I long for them most I suppose.
Y.E.S

What I would really like is her to do more stripped down music at some point. I wouldn’t mind at all an album with less instruments and arrangements (yes, I’m looking at yuta nakano) in which she can focus more on her voice. I’m sure if she went to the slower-mid tempo route paired with her lower register, we could get some interesting creations here. On another side note, her over dramatic intonations could make this unlistenable too tho I’m thinking about rainbow (the song) while writing this, but Lana del rey’s recent style comes to mind as well.

Last edited by Toniayu123; 22nd June 2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:05 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotora View Post
Not this.

Or this.

But I am ok with this.

And this
I only see a queen in all the gifs you posted Let's not start going down the lane of shaming women for their style now... we're better than that.

I'd love a dream-pop style album again from Ayu, yeah. She does that sound very well when she's aiming for it.
Old 24th June 2021, 02:49 AM
SEASONS Initiate

I personally really don't want her to follow the trends. It would be worse than doing her signature sounds all over again for me. Yet, there is a whole world between doing this and relying on the same sounds again and again. I crave for something bold, new. I wish her and her whole team would explore new horizons, being creative and passionate again like they used to be during so many years. I hope this is definitely not behind her.
Old 24th June 2021, 05:26 AM
July 1st Initiate

I don't have much to 'critique' 23rd Monster with, because at this point I was just thirsty for some fierce song with a cool-looking video, and I got them both

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
Rock'n'Roll Circus just called and it wants a word with you.
thank you for saying this. while I agree that her 'peak', whatever that means, was reached long before, I cannot help but look at Rock'n'Roll Circus with such marvel and fondness.

the whole medley style for Sexy little things—Microphone PVs? iconic. her LOOKS alone in these two videos are mind-blowing to 2010-me, even now. plus the concepts are so cool.

and, please, Don't look back? it's such a simple video but I still get chills. I love the song, and the video is so well done. the cheeky showing-only-one-side-of-the-face, the reveal of the disheveled side, her haunting devastated look, and the whole symbolism with the huge scratched up A BEST 2 -BLACK- poster behind her as she smiles sweetly throughout the video. this video is an MA thesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koumori View Post
I only see a queen in all the gifs you posted Let's not start going down the lane of shaming women for their style now... we're better than that.
thank you for saying this
Old 24th June 2021, 09:14 AM
Love song H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotora View Post
Not this.

Or this.
I'll stop following her
Old 24th June 2021, 10:27 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aderianu View Post
I'll stop following her
I love Cardi B because she can have this unique style.

However, I love ayu because she has another style that fits her.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 27th June 2021, 06:32 AM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

I prefer not to comment and just read, but i found this thread to be quite interesting and i enjoyed reading the many different perspectives of the members.

To stay on topic: I love the song, i’m a rock-ayu fan so i am biased but i really do enjoy it and think it’s one of the best she’s done recently.

But to comment on the grander and bigger topic regarding the artistic direction of Ayu, i’m just gonna be honest. She’s in a state where it’s impossible to please everybody.

If she sticks to what she knows best and her signature sounds. People will complain it’s nothing new and something they’ve already heard from her.

If she does branch out and try new and different things, people will still complain that she’s doing something that they’re not used to from her and that she’s abandoning her core style and sound. We’ve seen the reception to Party Queen, COLOURS and to some extent.. NEXT LEVEL. It would be a lie to say that I myself have also not liked some of her recent work and have been disappointed by the musical direction and lyrical content in comparison to what she’s put out previously.

But beyond all of that, I have no doubt in my heart that she is aware of those issues above and at this point, she really doesn’t care, she stopped caring about sales and relevance a long time ago and at this point she only cares about doing whatever feels good to her. And to be honest i respect her for that, she really has nothing to prove at this point and considering her health issues that are definitely affecting her creativity and performance (directly and indirectly).. i’m just happy she’s doing what she likes. Of course i do have my concerns and wish she would take it easier on herself. But i am just amazed at the level of dedication she continues to pour into her career, even when she’s recently given birth! regardless of her sound currently. I have an enormous respect for her as a person and as an artist and i will continue to follow her.

Tags
2021, 23rd monster, ayumi hamasaki, critique