New song:『Pray for you』 - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·


Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 16th January 2021, 06:51 PM
njanjayrp's Avatar
njanjayrp njanjayrp is offline
winding road Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
^Let's normalise using Ayu gifs and this one in particular!

As much as I think the statement is too extreme, I think I understand where Akutenshi is coming from because I had the exact same reaction - bored to death thinking 'welp, that's an Ayu ballad all right' and when the horns came in I actually started paying attention.

Obviously it's all a matter of taste and I am in NO WAY qualified as a musician, but to me Pray for you does sound like Pray, Anything for you, Zutto, WORDS or Walk to quote a few. And apart from Walk, none of those actually appeal to me unfortunately.

While being of... varying quality let's say, I feel like the other ones in njanjyarp's list have something 'special' that made me remember them - the dry guitar in Shape of love, the 'etheral' instruments in You are the only one + break at the end, the relative simplicity of Sweet Scar, the change of tone in Last minute, ...

So yeah, while I disagree that Pray for you sounds like all her ballads in the last 7 years because she's had some KILLER ballads, I can't see it becoming one of my favourite based on the instrumental version. But then again, I would have said the same listening to the instrumental version of Walk and yet I was obsessed when it came out.

I guess I'm just secretly hoping for November part II
The issue I have in particular is with the 7-year and “almost every other”, as while you could say there is something that defines a generic ayu ballad i.e. Close to you, meaning of Love, Days, Anything for you, Winter diary, The Way I am and Ohia no Ki for example those are definitely in minority and even the majority of those while not shining brightest arrangement/composition-wise have at least had meaningful and well/written lyrics. Not every ballad will sound as grand as BRILLANTE. I have a feeling we tend to plaster the “generic” sticker to everything plain-sounding.

You did mention WORDS and while musically it’s kind of a simpler song I think the way it progresses and the lyrics just separate it from the batch.
__________________




Follow me @njanjayrp

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 16th January 2021, 07:32 PM
Deep snow Deep snow is offline
Daybreak Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURREAL__RAINBOW View Post
I like the instrumental, although nothing could beat RAINBOW, ever!
RAINBOW really is one of her undisputed best songs, for me. it would be near-impossible to come up with this kind of perfection in this album (a CREA+D•A•I collaboration? that really builds to a satisfying climax?? in THIS economy???) but I do hope we get a great new song!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 16th January 2021, 07:39 PM
summerain's Avatar
summerain summerain is offline
POWDER SNOW Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 387
What I think about her "generic" ballads is that they are generic based on her own standards. She has a lot of songs with similar sounding / arrangement (and it's Ayu's fault, cause she is stuck with Yuta Nakano, an excellent composer and arranger, but it's up to her asking or picking up melodies and arrangements who sounds similar), but they all sound very "oh, that's an Ayu song". Even if some of them aren't remarkable, she has a solid music identity and for me it's super positive.
__________________


no rain, can't get the rainbow
(ayumi hamasaki - RAINBOW)

Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 17th January 2021, 01:15 AM
!Lawi!'s Avatar
!Lawi! !Lawi! is offline
Endless sorrow Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: France
Posts: 1,870
Yeah I definitely agree with most of the points made above - first off the generic argument is really nitpicking at this point : the girl been singing for two decades and has covered so many styles that grouping a handful of similar sounding sounds is quite preposterous!

And to be honest I love that about her discography, first because it brings people with different tastes, I'm glad to know people enjoy songs I don't find particularly special, but also just on a personal level I'm glad she has a song for pretty much every mood I'm in! I might not be the biggest fan of her classic sounding ballads but I'd be lying if I said I have never played beloved or the way I am on repeat! And I loved loved loved BRILLANTE when it came out but sometimes it starts playing and I just can't be bothered with it. It's just nice to have such variety, it's something I haven't really found in any other artist I'm interested in.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 17th January 2021, 05:53 AM
summerain's Avatar
summerain summerain is offline
POWDER SNOW Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
Yeah I definitely agree with most of the points made above - first off the generic argument is really nitpicking at this point : the girl been singing for two decades and has covered so many styles that grouping a handful of similar sounding sounds is quite preposterous!

And to be honest I love that about her discography, first because it brings people with different tastes, I'm glad to know people enjoy songs I don't find particularly special, but also just on a personal level I'm glad she has a song for pretty much every mood I'm in! I might not be the biggest fan of her classic sounding ballads but I'd be lying if I said I have never played beloved or the way I am on repeat! And I loved loved loved BRILLANTE when it came out but sometimes it starts playing and I just can't be bothered with it. It's just nice to have such variety, it's something I haven't really found in any other artist I'm interested in.
I think she is my favorite artist specially because of that. If we are talking about music crafting (melodies, arrangement, harmonies) we have some artists in J-Pop who are technically above her (like Utada or Shiina Ringo), but her production in general is way above the average and she is experimenting a lot during all these almost 23 years. Yeah, during the last years she has an specific taste for ballads, but she has given us some unique sounding like We are the QUEENS (a mix with epic orchestra, rock and dance track), W and FLOWER (two rock songs, but with a complete different route for each one), Mad World (also rock-influenced, but a very "current" and elegant rock ballad) and Dreamed a Dream (a 90s electronica and pop blaster).

Also, I always remember a thing Andrenekoi has been saying from a long time: when she wants to make her listeners paying attention to the lyrics (actually, she is a lyric-driven artist per se, but still), she downsize the music production to a basic level to avoid any distraction. The most "meaningful" ballads (in a personal level) of TROUBLE are like that and so is Ohia no Ki (I almost cried the first time I read the translation, so I wonder what would be the lyrics impact in a japanese native speaker who could relate to the motherhood situation).
__________________


no rain, can't get the rainbow
(ayumi hamasaki - RAINBOW)


Last edited by summerain; 17th January 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 21st January 2021, 01:47 AM
orbitalaspect's Avatar
orbitalaspect orbitalaspect is offline
appears Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakewood, WA (AKA The Real Hell on Earth)
Posts: 1,076
So, this is 'Ayu' -- which is expected -- but it's like getting more of the same thing when you're fivehead deep in a pool filled with that thing already, and you've spent so long in that pool wading around -- fivehead deep -- believing that initial feel-good experience will come back once more while increasingly pendulous with frustration and apathy over it, you being it, and you wanting to want to be in it but not getting any closer to that ideal.

My initial impressions were that the song sounds like Seiko Matsuda's Baby's breath records sound to fans who were there for albums like 9th Wave. It sounds new and dated at the same time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you've heard Seiko's Bara no You ni..., it's impossible to look back on the last 15 years of new Seiko releases and feel remotely as welcoming of them anymore.

I think it's obvious Ayu doesn't want to be pushing out new records/sounds/etc. She may have a big resurgence at some point with one song like Seiko did, or like Nakamori did some years back, but that's going to come out of nowhere and it won't be her working with anyone she's ever worked with. It'll be someone who's figured out some production that rises to the level of BRILLANTE, et. al., but in some way we've never heard Ayu do before.

I'm mostly disappointed with Ayu not writing about this to her fans. I know it's not typical, but Ayu's entire career has emphasized shared loneliness between her and her fans -- that's the point of songs like "curtain call," which was Ayu acknowledging that even as we move on, she has never stopped listening just in case we needed her to let us know so.

I'd really appreciate a letter about this. Even if it reads, "I'm really bored with all of this, and I just want to do tours until I'm completely done." Because again, her commitment in 2007-2008 was that "as a professional" she would never just let things go. If that's changed for one reason or another, from one human being to another, I'd just like to know that I shouldn't wait or come back and check every now and then.

A part of me sees A BALLADS II and thinks, maaaaybe she'll pick it up again?... maybe??. And I can't help that as a fan going back to 2005-2006. But if she's ready to go forward like Amuro was in 2018, I'd just like to see a full finale, a thank you, best wishes, and a final curtain call on the legendary 'A' symbol. I feel like 20+ years deserves a formal farewell. And then she can do her Fukushima residency and spend her days off in rubber boots fishing at the nearest wharf. She can do her own Ayu tees, like, "Ayu-ready A-hole?!!" and "I sold 70 million records and all I got left is a bunch of leftover boxes of these t-shirts."

Anyway, it's OK. But I'd rather not hear stuff like this personally, as it feels like she's "playing" Ayu in a song now. And the whole Ayu brand runs far deeper for most of us than this is willing to acknowledge with effort.

That sounds rude, but it does sound really like the last saltine of a box of saltines for me, personally. If everyone likes it, that's great. I just know that if I were Ayu, I'd have spent the last 9 months revisiting what all of this meant 15-20 years ago -- for all of us, including Ayu -- and I'd be up day and night, exhausted and worked to the bone, to get something like that again given how easily we forgot that it could all so quickly be swept away with no possibility of ever even having the means to do it if we ever wanted to do it again.
__________________

-> <-
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 21st January 2021, 09:49 AM
Kanasake's Avatar
Kanasake Kanasake is offline
poker face Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hungary
Posts: 92
Ayumi is a mother now and and we all know there's the coronavirus. So stop talking like that! All of you!
__________________
Kanasake Komachi

Last edited by Kanasake; 21st January 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 21st January 2021, 06:08 PM
Mikytaryan's Avatar
Mikytaryan Mikytaryan is offline
Gut it-pez Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Romania
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
So, this is 'Ayu' -- which is expected -- but it's like getting more of the same thing when you're fivehead deep in a pool filled with that thing already, and you've spent so long in that pool wading around -- fivehead deep -- believing that initial feel-good experience will come back once more while increasingly pendulous with frustration and apathy over it, you being it, and you wanting to want to be in it but not getting any closer to that ideal.

I'm mostly disappointed with Ayu not writing about this to her fans. I know it's not typical, but Ayu's entire career has emphasized shared loneliness between her and her fans -- that's the point of songs like "curtain call," which was Ayu acknowledging that even as we move on, she has never stopped listening just in case we needed her to let us know so.

I'd really appreciate a letter about this. Even if it reads, "I'm really bored with all of this, and I just want to do tours until I'm completely done." Because again, her commitment in 2007-2008 was that "as a professional" she would never just let things go. If that's changed for one reason or another, from one human being to another, I'd just like to know that I shouldn't wait or come back and check every now and then.

A part of me sees A BALLADS II and thinks, maaaaybe she'll pick it up again?... maybe??. And I can't help that as a fan going back to 2005-2006. But if she's ready to go forward like Amuro was in 2018, I'd just like to see a full finale, a thank you, best wishes, and a final curtain call on the legendary 'A' symbol. I feel like 20+ years deserves a formal farewell. And then she can do her Fukushima residency and spend her days off in rubber boots fishing at the nearest wharf. She can do her own Ayu tees, like, "Ayu-ready A-hole?!!" and "I sold 70 million records and all I got left is a bunch of leftover boxes of these t-shirts."

Anyway, it's OK. But I'd rather not hear stuff like this personally, as it feels like she's "playing" Ayu in a song now. And the whole Ayu brand runs far deeper for most of us than this is willing to acknowledge with effort.

That sounds rude, but it does sound really like the last saltine of a box of saltines for me, personally. If everyone likes it, that's great. I just know that if I were Ayu, I'd have spent the last 9 months revisiting what all of this meant 15-20 years ago -- for all of us, including Ayu -- and I'd be up day and night, exhausted and worked to the bone, to get something like that again given how easily we forgot that it could all so quickly be swept away with no possibility of ever even having the means to do it if we ever wanted to do it again.
I can understand from where you're coming from, but you said something interesting: "if I were Ayu".

The thing is, while we would all do stuff if we were in someone's shoes (I could sing better, I could work better, I could draw better, etc. etc.), we can't actually know what's going on through a person's mind to even say that. No, you cannot know what you would do if you were Ayu, you can only imagine and that would still be one of 48728573845 possibilities.

I understand, people are tired, we are all tired, but this pandemic affects people in different ways! She may be hurting, and we cannot know for sure how and how much and she doesn't have to tell us. She has so many things going on in her life, so there's no way she would deliver at the same pace. BUT from this, to thinking that she is on a retiring path and that's that, is sad to think...

People can be inconsistent, people can get tired...this doesn't mean that she will stop. In this era, she felt the need to give us a soothing present in the form of a very "Ayu" ballad and a compilation of ballads to heal our souls and this can be more powerful than anything new she would release because it channels the spirit of familiarity, it channels that feeling that you are home.

I hope this can be heard in her new ballad, and I hope people can see that even if she referred to her artist persona as a product, this doesn't give us the right to treat her that way or to expect that she should be in a certain way for us to feel connected to her.

The truth is, things have changed, she's a mother now, has many other priorities - but please don't dismiss her only because of that! She can still work and deliver powerful music, just that this is at her own pace, and I respect that.

Looking forward to this new song and I am certain her feelings will be delivered in full, because it's her song and her lyrics - those things that redefined an era and a genre.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:41 AM
love in music's Avatar
love in music love in music is offline
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikytaryan View Post
I can understand from where you're coming from, but you said something interesting: "if I were Ayu".

The thing is, while we would all do stuff if we were in someone's shoes (I could sing better, I could work better, I could draw better, etc. etc.), we can't actually know what's going on through a person's mind to even say that. No, you cannot know what you would do if you were Ayu, you can only imagine and that would still be one of 48728573845 possibilities.
This..

Also I'm pretty sure commenting on how you would live someone's life is a pretty intrusive and rude thing to do, especially when you try to make it a point to say you'd live it better than they are living it. Very disrespectful.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:41 PM
njanjayrp's Avatar
njanjayrp njanjayrp is offline
winding road Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by love in music View Post
This..

Also I'm pretty sure commenting on how you would live someone's life is a pretty intrusive and rude thing to do, especially when you try to make it a point to say you'd live it better than they are living it. Very disrespectful.
And also it's super easy to say this when you have limited information, but the fact is at some point we all get tired of whatever we are doing. I've been in the IT industry for 10 years and boy am I tired. Priorities and people change. People get sick and tired of things.
__________________




Follow me @njanjayrp

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cdl 20-21, music for life, pray for you

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.