[Official Message] Countdown Live 2013-2014 DVD&Blu-Ray on 30.04.2014 - Page 20 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 20th May 2014, 09:58 PM
Replace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by November4 View Post
Lol because she's a vocalist and lip syncing is basically cheating? I'm fine with heavy back tracks with some real vocals thrown in like Koda Kumi always does, but full lip syncing is gross, especially for ballads.
But she's not a vocalist, she's a performer. And that's completely different.

What makes a pop show "good" versus what makes a rock concert or vocal performance "good" are different things. Ayu's opinion on "good" is clean, rehearsed, precise, and perfect. (At least for the part of the show before the encore). She has a vision for that show and she wants to see it happen. That means there's no room for screwing up lyrics or running out of breath when dancing, so lip-sync.

When a pop artist is trying to put on a good show, they're gonna lip-sync. It happens so often I don't know why people still make a big deal out of it. They record one-take live versions of it to lip-sync to, so it's different form the CD still, and they ARE lip-syncing to themselves, so it's not a lie.

During songs where there's dancing, a pop singer - as opposed to an operatically trained vocalist - is going to run out of air and be unable to sing. (As a general rule, if Ayu is wearing the headset & dancing with her dancers, she's lip-syncing... just as almost every single pop star has done for the last 35 years). During tender, sweet pop ballads, a fudged lyric could kill the mood of the performance completely, and in the artist or producers eyes (and some fans' eyes) might ruin the show. So sometimes pop artists will lip-sync to a ballad too (CAROLS is a good example).

It's not dishonest or cheating, it's an insurance policy.

Singing is hard. Truth. Breath control, projection, enunciation, etc. are all very, very easy to screw up. With alot of singers, sure, you're not gonna really care - their target audience wants "feeling" more than perfection, so the occasional breathless moment or voice crack or incorrect lyric actually enhances the experience of seeing them live. Then there are some people are REALLY truly talented vocalists and have mastered that stuff. Annie Haslam, Pat Benatar, and Ann Wilson of Heart all come to mind - THOSE are vocalists. Always on pitch, never faltering. Because they were at it for their entire lives before becoming professionals.

Ayu isn't a vocalist, just as most pop stars aren't. She's just a charismatic woman with great lyrics, cool clothes, and an artistic vision for her shows - one that she wants to see polished before anyone in the public sees it.

Not that I'm defending this - I disagree fundamentally with her approach to live shows and I find her much more fun to watch when she's moving naturally & awkwardly and rocking out, and find it endearing when she messes up. But nevermind
Old 20th May 2014, 10:24 PM
No way to say Initiate

Ummm...when has Ayu ever been considered a vocalist? If anything she's a singer-songwriter.
Old 20th May 2014, 10:29 PM
WE WISH Initiate

^Deli makes a good point.

Anyway, if people are actually upset with her lip synching, they can go send her plenty of nice tweets telling her not to do it anymore and how she's cheating. She replied to that one tweet for feel the love lol.

And then you can just complain about her messed up vocals when she actually sings those songs live instead of playback and editing lol. A lot of fans have problems with her voice and it really has been struggling.

Ayu has never been some amazing technical singer or musician in general. She isn't Hikki.

But whatever. Everyone is allowed to have expectations.

Personally, if I was at the concert and couldn't tell she was lip synching, I would probably still be in tears seeing her live.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 20th May 2014, 10:57 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
Anyway, if people are actually upset with her lip synching, they can go send her plenty of nice tweets telling her not to do it anymore and how she's cheating. She replied to that one tweet for feel the love lol.
She replied to a lip-synch complain? What did she say?
Old 20th May 2014, 11:06 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Now i read those comments on this cdl but has she really sung in playback? O.O
Old 20th May 2014, 11:13 PM
Replace Initiate

For years and years and years. Same as every pop star ever.
Old 21st May 2014, 03:32 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
^Deli makes a good point.

And then you can just complain about her messed up vocals when she actually sings those songs live instead of playback and editing lol. A lot of fans have problems with her voice and it really has been struggling.

Ayu has never been some amazing technical singer or musician in general. She isn't Hikki.

But whatever. Everyone is allowed to have expectations.

Personally, if I was at the concert and couldn't tell she was lip synching, I would probably still be in tears seeing her live.
Hikki is an amazing musician and have a huge feeling for music, but she isn't that much of a technical vocalist either... She herself said she feels more confortable crafting her music in studio than singing it live, and that a lot of her compositions don't fit her voice range.

People like Hitomi Shimatani, Ayaka Hirahara, Akina Nakamori, etc. are really good vocalists, but most jpop stars with a relevant western fanbase are pretty much passable singers.

But I agree with what Deli said, but I would say Ayu's intention on the performance depends a lot on the song... There are some stuff clearly thought to be perfect, usually the most theatrical parts, but all of her concerts has moments when she is pretty much just singing, no matter how good it ends up being, and I'm not saying that about the encore.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 21st May 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 21st May 2014, 04:22 AM
too late Initiate

I can see how good the vocalists you mentioned are. With me, the good singers, vocalists are also the feeling bringer to the audiences. Hikki can do it and so ayu can...
ayu is the only artists makes me enjoy her whole concert ...
although ayu lipped so much in this show, we can tell it to her and hope for the another good concert
Old 21st May 2014, 05:17 AM
from your letter Initiate

I'm late, but I just want to say that this CDL was one of her best concerts to date.
Old 21st May 2014, 06:30 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I think that strive for perfection of Ayu is more a thing she had in the past.
Now, while not being sloppy or anything, she just plans things out and then has fun on stage. Or so it seems to me.

Hello new me...

Old 9th June 2014, 08:49 PM
Who... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_arrow View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just realized I downloaded this MC a long time ago from this link, but I couldn't understand half of what she was saying. There was this part in the end when she spoke about something and I'm just very curious to know. Can anyone translate the MC? Thank you very much

Set by YuriChan

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, cdl13-14, countdown live 2013-2014