Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 19th December 2010, 12:02 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Yeah, the TK-ness is soooo big lol But I like it, because it's moving Ayu away from the formula she's been in...and it's so much better than the crap she put in NL, like Energize.

Sending Mail
Yeah...sending mail needs to choose a tempo and a vocal style and just keep with it. I don't like her vocals in the verses at all.
I like the part right after the first verses, right before the chorus. Theres two notes where it's just awesome. Makes the whole song better lol
As much as I probably won't listen to this song, because it IS messy...composition is all over the damn place, I think it will be MUCH better live....if she can keep her vocals strong for it.
That ending was REALLY unnecessary and out of place though lol

Insomnia
Love it. This is going to be soooo cool live. Please dont ruin it's potential ayu!

Like a Doll
Wow, this composition at the beginning is so perfect for the song title. Oh, upbeat now okay. Her saying "Like a doll" is so annoying lol Please stop speaking in english.
oh interesting arrangement stuff happening....
So, at this point in the album, this is my favorite song.

Aria
very pretty. and it's happy....which, it probably should be, and is supposed to be, but somehow after like a doll, I feel like it should be darker lol
Wow the ending chaos is wonderful!

Thank U
Beginning is pretty. I like the arrangement here, the strings with the electro thing....and then ew, she built it up into a sunrise thing. Gross. Is this seriously a full song. Oh hello cute ayu voice and horrible vibrato. I really HATE that build up sound that goes into the chorus....but oh well. I guess this is a pretty, and happy, song....but it really feels like one big interlude to me, and it's really cliche.

It's soo ayu though lol I imagine this to be in the encore section at concerts. If it's anywhere else I'll go up on stage and protest.

Overture
pretty openings she's got on this album. Oh I love the little stuff happening in the background. Very nicely composed little orchestra piece.

Do It Again
omg ambitious beginning that is awesome. DANCE DANCE DANCE DO IT AGAIN lol As cliche and unoriginal as this is...it's building up REALLY nicely.
This is one of the best songs on the album, easily. I'm tying it with Love Song actually. I cant wait to see this live. I don't really know how I feel about the song taking this turn after the bridge.
Interesting stuff happening in the arrangement again~ cool. Nice backing vocals.
I really like how they blend the electro bits with all the strings in this album, it's very nice.
There's a little too much happening for me here towards the end...everything is getting lost in itself...but maybe thats what they want.
Very good song.

November
Oh pretty instruments at the beginning! omg yes using stuff she hasnt used before. Nice little composition here in the verses. I like this song because, it's like, "bare" and it's got serious personality lol
It's got one of the better compositions in the whole album too. I LOVE IT omg. I love the instrumental parts...arent they cute? They make me feel like I'm walking through a forest on a journey in a video game lol

Her vocals are interesting towards the end of the song. She gets really into it. This is a good song, and it's going to be amazing live too.

So...I still don't feel like this compares to a lot of her stuff, but I think it is a good album. I give it an 8/10.

The songs all blend together really nicely, and I feel like the feelings that she wanted to portray get expressed really well, both in the individual songs, and in the album as a whole.

The covers for this album are sooo fitting too lol

I don't know if this album is better than RnRC...or NL...but...meh, I dont really want to think about it. I'll figure it out later.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 19th December 2010, 12:10 AM
from your letter Initiate

@ emiko - I pretty much forget that Thank U is part of the album actually...I think I would prefer the song more if it was the speculated Ayu solo version of THX A LOT lol.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:20 AM
Initiate

For me, I'm still...not sure.

I felt that listening to most of the tracks, especially sending mail and like a doll that it wasn't complete. I really felt like "Oh my god It's about to be SOOO COOOL" And then it was like "um...ok?" Something was missing to make the songs totally awesome. I feel that there was such strong potential and it just failed.....

My favorite track is Do it again by FAR. IT has the potential to be one of my favorite Ayu songs ever. It is so EPIC and I don't mind the English. Say it's awful, but I listen to Namie on a regular basis. The girl is queen of ENGRISH, so it almost sounds normal LOL.

Overall, this album is very very very very forgettable. Disappointing. What's even worse is I found the album tracks to be a lot better than single tracks. I didn't like any of the single tracks but Last Angel.

IDK I MAY CHANGE MY MIND! I DID WITH CROSSROAD!

Old 19th December 2010, 12:32 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

@Kogepan: I wish it was just a bonus song lol

@Kashoku: I kind of feel like there is something missing from the songs that is stopping them from being awesome...but then, idk, it's hard to say.

I definitely like the album tracks over the single tracks though as well.

The singles have been not great at all.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 19th December 2010, 12:36 AM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

I don't feel like writing out long reviews, but I'll just say that I love every single track (big surprise for me).

I know what's gonna be on repeat for the next week or more...lol

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/
Old 19th December 2010, 12:36 AM
GAME Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashoku View Post

I felt that listening to most of the tracks, especially sending mail and like a doll that it wasn't complete. I really felt like "Oh my god It's about to be SOOO COOOL" And then it was like "um...ok?" Something was missing to make the songs totally awesome. I feel that there was such strong potential and it just failed.....
I get what you're saying completely. Get the feeling with pretty much all the TK compositions (besides crossroad, SDW, and Virgin Road). I do enjoy the songs, but yeah I know what you mean...
Old 19th December 2010, 12:42 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:

That's exactly how I felt with every single new song on R'n'R, minus Microphone.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:07 AM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:

I'm not surprised. For me many of her recent songs from 2008~Current had potential (nice verse and build up + awesome instrumental) but for some reasons Ayu just did not ace it (songs just fall flat towards the end)

Some examples:

Name / Reason for fail

Curtain Call - Had potential to be as awesome as jewel, but too repetitive
Microphone - Cool chorus and bridge, but what was she mumbling/murmuring about during the verses? :|
Don't Look Back - She really missed this big chance as she made it TOO repetitive
Meaning of Love - Nice title but sounds like a filler track
Blossom - Awesome chorus but verses = fail, and abit too repetitive.

Folie à Deux

Last edited by Jwiz; 19th December 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:29 AM
Because of You Initiate

I cant review each track so fast, but what I know is.. this album is so emotional, strong and awsome I started to cry. I feel every inch of the album. *keepsoncrying*
Old 19th December 2010, 01:31 AM
Don't look back Initiate

^you could add a lot of NEXT LEVEL songs with that list too for me.
And I think Curtain Call was never meant to be another JEWEL. I found it interesting that it had no chorus and it was really kinda like...idk how to describe the structure but yea, it was cool.
blossom is amazing actually..lol. the soft and hard are all in this song. and Microphone..wel, the verses may have been a lil anticlimatic but the progression is still there. and making a full blown out rck song may have beem disastrous for the listener (and most here are probably gonna call it noisy and messy)

lol..i see a lot of disappointment in this thread.
whats the general reason?
-doesnt like single tracks?
-album tracks didnt live up EVEN better?
Old 19th December 2010, 01:42 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiz View Post
I'm not surprised. For me many of her recent songs from 2008~Current had potential (nice verse and build up + awesome instrumental) but for some reasons Ayu just did not ace it (songs just fall flat towards the end)

Some examples:

Name / Reason for fail

Microphone - Cool chorus and bridge, but what was she mumbling/murmuring about during the verses? :|
Don't Look Back - She really missed this big chance as she made it TOO repetitive
Disagree with Microphone and blossom. They are both perfect on their own!
Old 19th December 2010, 01:44 AM
And Then Initiate

Quote:

Some examples:

Name / Reason for fail

It is the repetition that really makes Don't Look Back for me. But the same can be said for the new album, imo. It seems to communicate sadness and emptiness in a way...
Old 19th December 2010, 01:52 AM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
^you could add a lot of NEXT LEVEL songs with that list too for me.
And I think Curtain Call was never meant to be another JEWEL. I found it interesting that it had no chorus and it was really kinda like...idk how to describe the structure but yea, it was cool.
blossom is amazing actually..lol. the soft and hard are all in this song. and Microphone..wel, the verses may have been a lil anticlimatic but the progression is still there. and making a full blown out rck song may have beem disastrous for the listener (and most here are probably gonna call it noisy and messy)
I don't mean JEWEL ll, but because both uses piano and Curtain Call seemed so....empty compared to JEWEL, and not to mention the pv (urrghh complete Pride rip off >< )

Blossom, yeah it's amazing but I have to emphasize that it was too repetitive and lack the element of suprise. And microphone for me I don't really like any smooth progression from verses to chorus..very abrupt. Listen to Show Me Love (not a dream) by Utada, it's not a full blown rock track but the whole song flows like a masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumieregrl View Post
It is the repetition that really makes Don't Look Back for me. But the same can be said for the new album, imo. It seems to communicate sadness and emptiness in a way...
I see. However it does't really work well for me because I kept hearing the same thing over and over again. The instrumental (esp. the bridge) was awesome, so it's quite a waste imo.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Anyway imo I must say Do It Again is considered the breakthough song of this album. I enjoyed the whole 5:52 of it and it's definitely something new Ayu had put out in a longggg while. Sending Mail, THANK U and Like a doll was okay and it seems like November will be the only filler track in the album. Overall Love Songs is a great album with quality single (except blossom) and album tracks, and I don't really place much emphasis on interludes but they were great so yeah

Folie à Deux

Last edited by Jwiz; 19th December 2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:52 AM
Startin' Protector

I'm actually surprised that not more people like this album. First listen through and I was just just so amazingly touched in a way that one of my top favorite albums NEXT LEVEL even couldn't do. I already loved the singles (minus Sweet Season, which is still a weak link in the album for me). I won't do a track by track review, but the new songs are amazing. I already loved "do it again" and now I also really love "sending mail" and "Thank U". "Like A Doll" was a little messy for me but still really charming in its way. And the interludes are her best in a really long time.

I've realized since Secret that my tastes in her albums tend to alternate years. Loved Secret, did not like GUILTY, loved NEXT LEVEL, was underwhelmed with RnRC, and was expecting that I would also like this album based on the singles, and I was right. This is probably the absolute most cohesive album I've heard from her since her earlier years.

Oh well, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I do think it's an amazing album though.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:53 AM
End roll Initiate

I'm not marking yet because I think it is too early for me to do that! Not doing interludes because I tend not to listen to them until I get the physical album and can listen to the whole thing through. I had quite high hopes, then I put them down a bit in case I was disappointed

Love Song. Really love the fresh sound and use of strong verse and chorus. Like the different use of verse and chorus that isn't exactly standard. Great lyrics, been listening on repeat until the rest of the album leaked!

Crossroad: I loved this since the single release and still listen regularly. A good, solid Ayu song

MOON: A beautiful Ayu ballad. I feel the singles this time have had the solid standard Ayu tracks with a slight fresh, new feeling to them and they have all come together with the new album tracks which I love.

sending mail: The tempo is this is amazing! I love it! Music is wonderful and builds up. Wonderful lyrics again but not what I expected from having read the lyrics in advance!

Last angel: I love love love this! So unexpected for me again. I love how Ayu is moving away from the typical verse, chorus, verse, chorus, repeat chorus, repeat chorus songs a bit more again. The whole album sounds like she was a lot more inspired recently, especially coming up with a new album so quickly

Like a Doll: Again, not expected but I think that is what I love. Love the beat and lyrics again. Such a catchy chorus with thoughtful verses. Refreshing change to marionette or my name's women which is what the title seemed to allude to (I love both of those songs, but something new is even better)

blossom: Not my favourite of the single tracks but I think that was because I was so in love with MOON instead! Still a good track nonetheless.

Thank U: Reminds me of catcher in the light a bit at the beginning, but I love that song! And yes, it is like replace and honey, but when I am in the right mood I like those songs a lot, so this is a nice happy song to have to balance everything on the album. I think I will love this come Spring...it has a Springy feel to it

Sweet Season: A good typical Ayu song. I like the kira kiras.

Do it Again: I do love the build up in this. Not so keen on the english, but it works with the song better than some of Ayu's other english parts. Loving the beat too!

November: Wasn't sure when I first heard the opening, but it flows into a wonderful song. I nearly cried reading the lyrics while listening. That last chorus is so beautiful and powerful.

Virgin Road: A lovely slow ballad from Ayu. I don't sound as enthusiastic about the single songs but I think that is because I have had longer with them and I enjoy them as and when I want, rather than listening greedily to them as I did when they were newer. I have all these album tracks to do that with now!

Seven Days War: I actually wanted this on the album as a bonus track. I like that this makes the album back to 16 tracks because some albums previously have felt a bit filler-y. The live version is a great addition. SDW sounds like an Ayu song. It fits with her voice well for a cover but I feel like she makes it her own and really poured her emotions into it for the seven day final of the tour. You can tell that she is on the verge of crying in the track which does affect her voice, but boosts her emotion- can't have everything!

Oh Ayu, I don't know why I doubt you every album because you have been on an up since Next Level. This is above NL, Secret and Guilty for me, probably RNRC too...Really didn't expect it! Overall an improved voice as well. Ayu just keeps pushing past what I expect! The instrumentation and melodies seem new rather than rehashed as some songs can sometimes feel. I don't listen and think "Oh, this is like such a song had a child with such a song" which is good I think. RNRC was a step up, and this is even better. I thought Ayu wouldn't get back up to such high standards that she had set herself with albums like MY STORY. The variety is good here, but it all still flows. The lyrics are uh-may-zing.

This is far longer than I ever intended! Oh dear >.< I just hope that lots of people get the beautiful feelings I have gotten from this album too
Old 19th December 2010, 01:55 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:

Some examples:

Name / Reason for fail

I have to disagree with you about Curtain call, any other song I think you'd be right but I think it's the repetitiveness that makes this song powerful. It's one of my favorite ballads!
Old 19th December 2010, 01:58 AM
until that Day… Initiate

I can't really make a review, so i won't haha..
but I really in love with the album, all the new songs in here are totally so unexpected!
specially " do it again", it's my most favorite track on this album!
the interludes flow perfectly with the next songs, it feels nice!
this album feels more like 80s-90s type of music..
i just love the album so much
Old 19th December 2010, 01:58 AM
End roll Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I'm actually surprised that not more people like this album. First listen through and I was just just so amazingly touched in a way that one of my top favorite albums NEXT LEVEL even couldn't do. I already loved the singles (minus Sweet Season, which is still a weak link in the album for me). I won't do a track by track review, but the new songs are amazing. I already loved "do it again" and now I also really love "sending mail" and "Thank U". "Like A Doll" was a little messy for me but still really charming in its way. And the interludes are her best in a really long time.

Oh well, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I do think it's an amazing album though.
Me too. Obviously you can't always please everyone (Ayu fans especially) but this album seems to have a lot of what many people have wanted to see from Ayu.
I don't really think it's right to judge an album straigh after listening to it either....but whatever.
Old 19th December 2010, 02:01 AM
monochrome Initiate

hahahah..
everybody praised this album alot when the preview leaked,,
then complaining it to hell when full album leaked...
that's it,,,
always do the same thing on this forum,,
complaining,,,complaining,,complaining
lol,,,,
i enjoy this album,,

tough it's a weak album in my opinion,,
but it isnt that bad,,,

Old 19th December 2010, 02:02 AM
End roll Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
I have to disagree with you about Curtain call, any other song I think you'd be right but I think it's the repetitiveness that makes this song powerful. It's one of my favorite ballads!
I agree! I love the cut back simplicity of it. I don't think it was meant to be as elborate as JEWEL at all, but I can see how it could annoy people. I can easily listen to one song all day for a week and still love it, but I know other people prefer variety, but different things for different people!

I just hope this album does well because it feels like it deserves it. It feels like Ayu has really poured herself into this album as she used to. RNRC and NL had good songs, but not this cohesion and they didn't feel quite full of Ayu as she had previously done (to me anyway) Love Songs also has some of the most beautiful lyrical themes to date which may touch on previous songs and allude to them, but they don't feel as repetitive as some have before. Gah, I've rambled again! I hope someone actually manages to read all these posts!

Tags
love songs