CDL 11/12 opinions thread - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy the CDL?
Yes, alot! 77 47.24%
It was good but not amazing. 52 31.90%
Meh, was ok I guess. 21 12.88%
Didn't like it at all. 13 7.98%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd January 2012, 11:22 AM
rainy day Initiate

I'm pretty impressed with the concert. To be honest I feel like the dynamics of this concert isn't FULLY Ayu-ish, but it's kinda refreshing and entertaining. I thought the amount of dancers were really too much though, and the choreography's a mess at times. But, her vocals, the theatrics, and the stage was pretty good! And Ayu really need to stop using the clowns. They are not working for me, and it's getting pretty annoying. It's not like the clowns fit the whole theme of HOTEL Love songs too. I could understand for Rock'n'Roll Circus (even though I didn't like them from there either).
Spoiler:
01.do it again
LOOOOOOOOOVE the opening video. The entrance pretty cool, but Ayu's outfittfit was kinda bleh. The whole mask thing was really interesting until the dancers took off the cloak and revealed their PJs. What.

02.Happening Here
Thought the studio recording was a mess, but it's a really great song for a live performance and it showed in the performance. So much fun and energy!

-insomnia
Hookers! Like tasking, I kinda expected NEVER EVER to open this segment because of the scantily clad dancers.

03.MOON
Not bad. I kinda like the slanted bed idea, and Ayu did a bit of contemporary dance! It was... Okay I guess.

04.fated
And the hookers are back, but why are they back? Wanting Maro, then pushing him around, then Ayu's on a couch, and what really happened to the girl from MOON? Pretty confusing. Not a fan of her vocals.

-feedback

05.NEVER EVER
The dancers were SO ANNOYING. Ayu sounded pretty good.

06.sending mail
Her vocals kinda fell short for me. The story there and Ayu's acting was pretty good though. Subaru with eyeliner is a no-no.

-machine

07.Sparkle
Pretty random choice imo. But it was cool since she sounded pretty good (though not as good as AT09). I loved the glow-in-the-dark parts of the outfit heh.

08.Humming7/4
09.evolution

Typical Humming/evo performance.

11.RAINBOW(COUNTDOWN)

Pretty good, until the end. The outfit kinda looks like the beloved dress in PoM except that they've cut the skirt to a shorter length. Even though I didn't understand what Ayu was saying, I felt pretty touched during the countdown. Especially when she's giving a shoutout to the audience from different areas of Japan!

12.November
Would've LOVED it if not for Shu-ya. It would've been the show stopper for me. Her vocals were fantastic, the whole water fountain thing was great. But Shu-ya. Bleah. Still waiting for a CAROLS @ AT05 moment and this was really close.

-music

13.Ladies Night
The cutesy voice... D: It's kinda worst than her usual cutesy voice imo lol. I really liked the chair in mid-air thing. And also the whole set up and outfit. Reminded me of a Vegas show.

14.Party queen~Happening Here
I LOVE Party queen (except the cutesy voice) though it kinda sounds like a drag queen theme song

15.Love song

Left no impression. Weird.

ENCORE
16.how beautiful you are
BEAUTIFUL song. Her vocals were really great too.

17.Trauma

If only she hadn't cut the song.

18.Boys&Girls
Hahaha the second verse moment was funny.

19.MY ALL
Typical. I miss her whole shouting thanks to a silent audience routine though.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:45 AM
I am... Initiate

About the back-up singers overpowering Ayumi thing: This was a live broadcast, the sound wasn't properly mixed. Actually this year Ayumi's voice was louder and clearer than in the live broadcasts of CDL0910 and CDL1011, we heard her better despite more back-up singers.
4 back-up singers are, given they have the right voice types and it seems they do, the perfect support for a singer and I think we will notice that on the DVD/Bluray, they won't overpower her anymore when properly mixed, instead she will sound a million times better by finally having some male harmonies thrown in.(The deepest harmonies support high voices best and Ayumi as mezzo-soprano is quite high - it's the reason Peco was a very good back-up singer, her voice went very well with Ayumi's no matter if people like her or not)
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:51 PM
LIMIT Initiate

I've seen CDL and I have contradictory feelings about it
- Although do it again is one of my favorites songs in Love Songs, the performance os it seemed boring and toooooo much repetitive for me
- Happening Here (so crazy XD), NEVER EVER and sending mail were my favorite ones.
- Ladies Night's concept were good, but I didn't like her voice there.
- Why Timmy in Sparkle? Sparkle is one of my favorite songs of all time and I don't understand the performance. Ayu is seated too much time... And it seems a performance of the dancers rather than Ayu's!
- Rainbow was so emotive, I loved it. At least one Rainbow performance that I love!
- The new songs are so good! Speacilly Hbya is one of the best ballads since Curtain Call IMO.
- I saw more the dancers and backup singers than Ayumi. That annoys me XDDD

To sum up, a really good CDL (ayu's voice is improving and a lot of my favorite songs) but too much presence of dancers!
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:02 PM
ever free Initiate

I must say it was ok but it didn't shock me.

I think that in some parts of the show there were too many people on stage. Too many dancers that I couldn't see and pay attention to Ayu.

Her outfits are not the same as previous years. I think she may consider hire another designer. She used to have better outfits. (Have a look at CDL 2005-2006 for example)

I really LOVE "PARTY QUEEN". She needed a techno song. I think that was the climax of the show.

All in all, I liked it but I think she can do better shows.

LOVE YOU AYU!!!
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:04 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperatriz Ayumi View Post
Her outfits are not the same as previous years. I think she may consider hire another designer. She used to have better outfits. (Have a look at CDL 2005-2006 for example)
...violet fur was better than this? *dead*
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:29 PM
Replace Initiate

I didn't like CDL10-11 at all
I wonder if this one is better?
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:01 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Compared to last year's CDL, PoM and RnRC Tour, this one lacked so many things.
The focus on the dancers was too much, her voice wasn't as strong as I thought it would be... But I really liked it. The setlist is really good, lots of great songs! I must say I cried during how beautiful you are! I didn't like the NEVER EVER performance (well, vocally it was good, but the dancing...), but that acapella part with the new backing vocal, WOW! And the new backing vocal looks sooooo much like Aika from Momusu. LOL
The Love Song performance was so out of place to me. It should've been on the encore imo.
Timmy... What can I say about him? With make-up, he looks really bizarre (in a very good way), but without make-up... HE'S SO CUTE! I think I'm in love. xD I also liked Michi (is it his name?) and Peco was missed.
The fountain on November was one of the highlights of the show! Soooo pretty. And Shu-ya didn't annoy me this time.
I just forgot to say... Boys & Girls was soooo great, those moments she forgets the lyrics... Always the best parts of her shows! XD

Last edited by LEOyumi; 2nd January 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:48 PM
Because of You Initiate

I just finished watching it.

I have to agree its too much sitting, I felt like something is wrong when third song came up and she's still sitting. I dont like the flow of the setlist either nor how Love song is kinda ruined. Its such an incredible song...you can't do that!

I was very pleased with her vocals and outfits. My fav performances were MOON, fated, November and how beautiful you are.
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:26 PM
SURREAL Initiate

I watched the CDL again and I found Timmy's appearance to be less annoying. He's actually a little bit cool! It was nice having someone on stage talking English XD. Though, I feel bad for the awkward introduction he gave.

Voted for 2 btw.
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:00 PM
A Song for XX Initiate

I pretty enjoy with this show the first thing came into my mind is, It was like after the tsunami she has PoM that start with nothing it's like everyone start from 0 including Ayu too. And then CDL2011-2012 when I saw it, It was like I see a next step from the zero thing it's remind me of "Ayumi Hamasaki Concert Tour 2000 Vol.1" the moving circle stage, the colorful outfit, the weird show, etc. So IMO maybe It's just the beginning the Arena tour 2012 Hotel Love songs would be "Ayumi Hamasaki Concert Tour 2000 Vol.2" because If it go this way it's really makes sense that why she makes songs like her earlier year. I would be glad to see that again cuz it mean the WOW thing will coming back by little to little.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:24 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiarongisme View Post

13.Ladies Night
The cutesy voice... D: It's kinda worst than her usual cutesy voice imo lol.

Yeah...using it in a song about (presumably) adult women going out and having fun REALLY didn't work.
I liked the cutesy voice...way back when HONEY came out, but HONEY is the ONLY song the cutesy voice actually fits. In anything else, it just sounds terrible.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:40 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think Ladies Night will never be a 'cool' song to Ayu. She's NEVER going to sing it in a non-cutesy voice because in her head, the song is just like HONEY or something. Think about all of the performances of the song... they're ALL very 'adorable' and she uses that nasal voice for all of them. The best performance of the song was the first one she did at AT06 which IMO should've been the last. UNLESS she starts performing ~another night~ which would be amazing.

Also... I don't think people are being overwhelmingly positive because of negative reviews. And who is to say that people who said nice things about the concert even read other comments before watching the show? If you take the reviews from the first show or two out of the equation, I don't think it would have affected opinions in the slightest.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:09 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Violet fur is awesome.

I don't think people are being crazy positive either. I'm actually surprised we had negative reviews at all from anyone who's never seen her before.

The positive reactions are how AHS normally loves all her crap

The show might be crappy, but people are still going to love it, because of Ayu and all the theatrics. And if the stage is elaborate enough, which apparently it is.

It's not rocket science. Ayu + Good visuals = A good show for most people around here.

Feel free to not agree.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 2nd January 2012, 10:11 PM
I am... Initiate

^ Well this show also features what probably are the best vocals we have heard in Ayumi's live broadcasts.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:14 PM
Initiate

I'm normally pretty ambivalent about her CDLs. I get excited but once I watch them they usually impress me but then when they're done, I shrug them off -- no big deal. Even PCDL wasn't that interesting to me save for a few performances. Same with Future Classics: just a few songs. But this CDL impressed me from start to end. I almost forgot that it *wasn't* a show from a tour. The production for it was all very sleek and carefully done.

Plus Timmy's voice blends in so well with Princess and Ayu's. The combination of Princess, Ayu and Peco creates this stagnant sound to my ears -- Timmy was a nice change of pace. I hope she cycles between back up singers.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 2nd January 2012, 10:16 PM

^^Then the positive reviews should be even more anticipated, I'd think.

I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not going to throw any opinions on the show around. But I like reading opinions before, and peoples' conclusions about the show.

Like, now I think I'll pay more attention to the choreography, and feel less wtf about Ayu sitting down a lot.

Or I won't be so off put by Ayu's cutesy voice in Ladies Night, because maybe she sees it as one of those songs...idk.

The show certainly looks and sounds interesting.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

Old 2nd January 2012, 11:27 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

I loved it.. her vocals were way better, the setlist was actually pretty good and I loved the stage. Despite the negative reviews, I think it was a pretty damn good concert
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:43 AM
Initiate

Just watched the Ustream broadcast, it definitely comes across better than being at the actual show....
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:57 AM
too late Initiate

I enjoyed it. But it wasn't even close to last year's amazing CDL.

Once again there was far too much focus on the dancers (last year we got a whole ballad section with barely any distractions).

And is it just me or were the interludes VERY frequent and put on more than usual? I find it very annoying when there's a 5-7 minute interlude and she just comes out in some silky nightwear... I dunno, maybe it's just me.

The setlist was fine (Party queen and how beautiful you are were brilliant ) and vocally she was fine (bar some cutesy parts... which needs to stop).

Ayu also seriously needs to stop making the show about her dancers and theatrics because it's getting to the point where I'm actually moving my head around as if I can see around them. I'm not taking time out of my life to see guys throw themselves the place...

Like I said; It was still enjoyable but last year's was so much better by a loooonnggg shot.

Thank you ownsarai for the amazing set

Old 3rd January 2012, 01:15 AM

So, I'm writing my comments as I watch this...so...this review is ungodly long I doubt anyone will read it. But oh well. I like commenting while watching.

Beginning - Countdown
Spoiler:
1. do it again - this was great until the weird outfits came out...wth. Some nice vocal moments.

Yeah, this choreography is ******. And why would they just stick her in the middle of the stage for a song like this. She needs to be somewhere epic...like she was before she came down. She's already lost on stage.

2. omg what is this...oh Happening Here lol Oh her outfit is so cute. She looks lovely.

This song is so awful But she sings it well. I think Timmy looks great, what are you guys talking about lol

Some of the dancers outfits are damn dreaful.

LOL omg Timmy is the best. He is SUCH A DIVA. I'd kinda rather watch him than Ayu. She so just got upstaged.

3. insomnia - her dancers inspire no interest for me.

The girls do better. Underutilized in Ayu shows. Nice song.

4. MOON - I wish it was just Ayu on stage on a bed singing to us. Songs like this don't need dancers. Just her powerful vocals. Ew and now she's interacting with them. Overdone.

I like Timmy backing her here. It does add a nice layer under there. Sounds fuller.

A giant for that performance.

5. fated - interesting choice, but I like it after MOON, And it's perfect just her singing...oh no, don't get up. omg go back to the bed. okay thank god.

no, omg, no more people coming out. Ugh. **** my life.

Also some nice vocal moments. Timmy too. Okay, too many people running on and off stage. I'm getting whiplash.

Okay. Look, you can't have an intimate moment between two people when there are 23245 other people on stage.

6. feedback - where my girls at? These guys are so tired and used. Ugh, those costumes...Once again, Japanese people overexaggerate the stuff they don't have. hahahaha they suck at sticking endings.

7. Oh hell yes I know that sound. NEVER EVER - I like her outfit. Red always reminds me of young Ayu. Hey, it's wonderful to hear what good songs sound like.

Oh, can I see up there? I actually like all of her back up singers. And I like Ayu sitting down here.

But you know Ayu, I don't need you falling on stage to show me how powerful you want me to think this part is. Use your voice darling. You obviously still have one.

8. sending mail - pretty transition. The verses for this song are awful. Who composed this mess. I think I would have liked her sitting for this song too lol Some nice vocal moments, but she also seems tired.

Timmy in the background is She looks good.

9. machine - these interludes are just for the concert right? Maybe all the people is supposed to be like, some big hotel party or something.

Awful outfits. Thought I was watching a Koda concert.

oh hell yes Sparkle!

10. Sparkle - lol the hood makes her look young. Oh please hold out those notes more. LOL DIVA TIMMY.

This song is epic. See ayu, This is a song you go down in the middle of the stage and just sing the hell out of with a bunch of dancers. This song also needs a bunch of lasers. Oh good, she came down. Finally! But aww she looks so tired

11. Humming 7/4 - I can't believe this song is so popular. I mean, I like it. But she has better rocking out songs imo.

This song is so boring. Guess you have to be there. Her poor voice.

12. evolution - oh **** lol This song is great. I'll never get tired of it. She can't really sing it anymore....but oh well.

I'll also never get tired of Timmy's vocals under hers. idk what you guys are talking about not liking it. Or maybe it's the other guys' idk.

lol cute little interlude from the singers. A little long.

13. RAINBOW - awwww this song omg. I'm gonna cry. You just know. When you hear the intro. Nice background vocals. Although Ayu's a little lost. I really hope no dancers come out.

UGH Spoke too soon. What's she talking about? Here's her MC part hahaha. Her talking voice is pleasant.

Oh it's the countdown I was expecting it later.

Aww, Happy New Year everyone

Best Countdown song ever. That might have just saved this whole concert.
November - End
Spoiler:
14. November - this is one of the best songs on that concept album. I hope someone steps on a balloon and falls. Ew. Shuya. EW. I hope it's him.

This song is wonderfully composed. Damn. He didn't step on a balloon. I would have stolen one of those balloons from the concert.

Pretty water. Oh, don't lose the pitch ayu, keep it up keep it up.-! aww Good for her. Very good.

That was one of my favorite performances. I'd watch that again. Even with Shuya.

15. music - they love the silks dont they. oh my, what was that awful sound? Pretty song though. Very grand.

16. YES Ladies Night - Oh hell yes. I love prominent intros. ew, I was expecting the curtain to fall when the guitars came on and an epic Ayu...not to watch her dancers. oh well.

Okay...instrumental and dancers. Ruining the epicness of this music..................

ummmm NO, you can't just start the song over. No. No. No.

LOL the cutesy voice. Okay. I know you guys talked about it, but wth I didn't think it was gonna be THAT bad.

Oh, this performance is a MESS. Oh, omg. NO.

She kinda looks like BENI. At least she looks good. But this performance...worst performance of the night so far.

I am dying inside having to watch this. Please be over.

oh thank the gods.

17. Party Queen - I'll just take the time now to say, these are some of the worst outfits and props for those dancers. Another reason why Ladies Night was so unbelieveably dreadful. ugh /shudder

Anyways...this is a nice song, but I dont like the melody enough during the chorus. It's so...one of these songs idk I could do without the KANPAI too. She looks really good though. Cheesy dancing.

Cutesy voice doesn't go.

18. Happening Here - Ew. But I guess a theme song is a theme song. Yeah, so many bad things happening here.

19. Love Song - Okay, thanks for the shot of the title lol This song IS out of place. A good song though. Her vocals are nice.

And I like the harmonies. Oh her outfit up close is so pretty.

SO SO PROUD of her for not losing the pitch during this song! Aww It's great.

*applause*

~~the dancing A part~~

Yo-chan...lol

Is this talking part short? It's long enough for me hahaha Timmy Damn, his voice is SEXY.

20. how beautiful you are - I haven't heard this song in full yet. Nice verses. See. Ayu on stage. By herself. Singing a pretty song with her pretty voice. NEED MOAR.

Okay, her english doesn't sound so bad live. The "you don't know" fits in much better when you listen to the whole song too. In the clip is sounded awful and disjointed.

I'm not sure how I feel about the arrangment. Half of me wishes it stayed simpler...and then the other half of me likes the build up.

A nicely composed ballad. So long since we had one. Damn. I'm already singing along with the backups lol

Oh, and her singing parts toward the end. So nice. Even with that last note Very Very Happy with this song.

21. Trauma - Trauma? Really? Okay, Ayu. Guess I'll do the dance then lol

22. Boys & Girls - I can't believe I still know the lyrics to this song after all this time.

TIMMY omfg.

I'll never get tired of this song either. lol they sound like wolves on stage.

23. MY ALL - Okay, this sounds like a pretty good ender...so I'll go easy on the hate lol Verses are awful though at the beginnings.

The chorus is great though. Very Ayu-ish. She's getting a little drowned out.

*applause* for Ayu. This was a good show.

Aww, she's gonna make me tear up.

Favorites:
RAINBOW
November
Love Song (cause her vocals )
how beautiful you are

Worst Performance:
Ladies Night...DIS-GUS-TING. I don't think I could bold, or upscale, or put in red how much this performance sucked.

Conclusions - 8/10 I actually kinda enjoyed this one. And her vocals. There were no cringing moments from me, so, that is just...wow. Wonderful.

Dancers are so so bad and not utilized properly. I don't think there's anything good about them here. They even looked hideous.

LOVE the backup singers. Such a fuller sound with the males back there. Wonderful.

She doesn't know when to sit, and when to stand. But I didn't feel there was TOO MUCH sitting. In fact, I could have used more during certain ballads. I think it was just bad timing.

I didn't think I was going to like the setlist at all, but I was quite entertained by it. And I'm hard to entertain tbh lol I didn't think there were too many things out of place, and it flowed really well for me.

So, I'm just gonna add myself to the list of people who liked this show and thought it was good. I don't think it was crappy, though some things were really quite bad ...I'd watch this again. And I'll definitely be watching the DVD.

I am quite pleasantly surprised

I don't have a judgement on whether people are being too positive or not. Maybe we are, but I think her vocals being really good has a lot to do with why I liked it, and let other things slide, like how bad stuff looked.

I don't let her dancers slide though. That **** has got to go Bad bad direction imo.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

Last edited by emi♡; 3rd January 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Tags
cdl 2011-2012, cdl11-12, countdown live 2011-2012, hotel love songs