Ayu & Avex - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 17th July 2012, 08:48 AM
YOU Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Labels don't have much control over their artists' touring schedule. In all actuality, the artist makes a very tiny fraction of the money generated from an album sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Generally, artists release material through a label to promote tours, not really the other way around. If people like the songs, they end up selling more tickets and this is how the artists will make their money.
^This breakdown was spot-on (to my knowledge) in terms of how it generally works.

I would like to mention that while the Japan and US recording industries have many differences of approach, the way profits work appears very much the same. Even in the United States, most artists make their money from concerts, while labels make it from album sales. So, it really pays to be a performer (which we know Ayu is very good at, and people recognize that up to now, as her concerts still attract many, many people regardless of album sales).

I am also not certain how it works in Japan, but if it is anything like the United States, then the fact that Ayu writes all of her own lyrics means that she actually makes even more money on average than the artists who do not. Songwriter royalties make up a quite a chunk (I believe 10%) of the money each time an album or song is purchased. (And also every time one of her songs is covered by another artist and put up for sale). For instance, after Whitney Houston died, iTunes sales for her signature "I Will Always Love You" skyrocketed. But actually quite a bit of money went to Dolly Parton, who wrote the lyrics.*

So anyway my point is that Ayu's involvement with the creative process (especially lyrics) likely also means that while her profits from album sales may be small compared to that of Avex, her portion is likely more than the average artist who does not write (or compose as Ayumi did for a time as CREA).

*Not a part of the US music industry, but I have spoken to people involved and this is how it was explained to me.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:29 AM
Replace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigodansu View Post
atleast Delirium Zero remembers not every song is about her personally. the few times she was actually seen with Nagase and Mannie, they are probably both more for publicity than even a real friendship of any kind. I don't think her real personal relationships have ever been made known (although 1 of them is very obvious is you look through all the photos she's posted and read an old interview or 2 when she couldn't stop talking about someone new in her life for 6 months straight) I did it myself for a long while too, but believing the relationships that were nothing more than a few photo shoots and hanging out a few times is just buying into what Avex is trying to sell. She seems to have a real relationship going back farther than the believed one of Nagase and still going currently, just takes some reading and looking through photos to notice because Avex has had her do so much to cover it up.
I think so too, actually
Old 20th July 2012, 02:30 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBoyLuke View Post
Personally I've been dissatisfied for a few years now, they seem to treat Ayu (and Koda Kumi) as cash cows releasing album after album with barely any time between releases which takes away anticipation people have for new material and results in a drop in sales as seen with Ayu and Kumi.
Avex has always been like this, and I don't think it has something to do with their drop in sales because just look at AKB48, they release things like crazy and sell like hotcakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBoyLuke View Post
Also it's so annoying that Avex don't get with the times and embrace youtube by uploading full videos and Itunes like most other labels do these days, It's not helping Ayu it's harming her... I discovered J-Pop on youtube but younger people these days are probably missing out because Avex pulls every video as soon as it's posted and refuses to upload them in full on their own channels...
Anyway please let me know your thoughts and feelings, I'm interested to know.
We only get short versions and low quality videos on YouTube. If they don't upload these on YT we could get it on internet anyway! I don't see the problem. If you want the full length and high quality thing buy their CDs.

I love Avex, the only thing I don't like is that they were so late with the opening of their YouTube channel (Which is free promotion) and that they don't spend much money on promotion for solo artists.

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!

Tags
avex, ayumi hamasaki, itunes, sales, youtube