New single 'Dreamed a Dream' by Tetsuya Komuro out July 31st, 2020 - Page 17 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2020, 08:35 PM
ourselves Initiate

This is so clearly a TK composition, and so it doesn't really remind me of her early music, but it does take me back to late 90s J -pop That's just TK's composition style though.

I really like it though and it's probably my favorite since we are the queens, which ended up being one of the my favorite ayu songs.

The one thing about TK's composition style and many of his tracks for ayu is that it sometimes feels like the verse, bridge and chorus are a bit disjointed, and in this case especially the bridge is drawn out a lot to the extent where it's a bit difficult to keep tension throughout, especially for people who are used today's pop music I guess. (The first chorus starts at 1:24, which is very, very late for any pop track and it's the same for many (but not all) of his tracks for ayu). Some of itmay be ayu's decision too though to fit the lyrics and musical story telling the way she likes it. In any event, TK's compositions are more melody-driven than most popular music today (both Western and K-pop) and he relies a lot on key changes to create tension. So this song is basically what I've come to expect from TK for ayu. Sometimes it works really well, but sometimes it makes the song feel flat and dragged out. And it makes the arranger's job more difficult I think because instead of coming up with one catchy hook that can be repeated again and again, he or she has to figure out a way to make it interesting in different ways throughout the song. I think they did a great job with Dreamed a Dream, but I also think this song could've benefited from cutting half of the first bridge and maybe the first verse too, but that might've messed up the lyrics!

travel, art and food!
Old 30th July 2020, 08:44 PM
appears Initiate

This song is a complete experience. I'm living for it!!
Old 30th July 2020, 08:45 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Petit* View Post
This is so clearly a TK composition, and so it doesn't really remind me of her early music, but it does take me back to late 90s J -pop
That explains why I scratch my head everytime when people say his songs sound like some of her early works, when they really don't sound anything like from her at that time.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:52 PM
ayu trance Initiate

^
Definitely she was not part of the TK boom so I don’t understand either the comparisons with her early work.

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Old 30th July 2020, 08:55 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
I really like it though and it's probably my favorite since we are the queens, which ended up being one of the my favorite ayu songs.
We are the Queens is fire. This song reminds me more of sending mail or snowy kiss but much better.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:07 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki-7 View Post
^
Definitely she was not part of the TK boom so I don’t understand either the comparisons with her early work.
Might be the impact and arrangement rather than the "TK-ness"?
Old 30th July 2020, 09:22 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

Here’s hoping Nakano isn’t the only arranger she plans on using for the foreseeable future...

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 30th July 2020, 09:25 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The future seems to mostly be Yuta, tasuku, ats-/Takehito Shimizu, basically mostly old H/\L then tasuku. I think CMJK rounded things out a lot, and it seems like he assisted in the last few lives as well so he could always come back!

Going over the last 5 years of releases, it's basically 80% Yuta, then the last 20% is tasuku/ats- with Shimizu/Shingo Kobayashi/RedOne.

Last edited by truehappiness; 30th July 2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:42 PM
ayu trance Initiate

It’s a bit sad she doesn’t hire a new arranger ! Her music would really benefit of even a small change in her team of arrangers. Her compositors & arrangers are aging as well some young talents would definitely bring something

Old 30th July 2020, 09:52 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Yuta was the 'new blood' in 2007 I think with talkin' 2 myself but at this point I think she really likes having him around so that's why he's become her mainstay.

The concern is probably... "if I go for someone new, will they make arrangements that I like?" so she stays with who she knows can create the sound she wants.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:02 PM
Initiate

Wink

Quote:
The one thing about TK's composition style and many of his tracks for ayu is that it sometimes feels like the verse, bridge and chorus are a bit disjointed, and in this case especially the bridge is drawn out a lot to the extent where it's a bit difficult to keep tension throughout, especially for people who are used today's pop music I guess. (The first chorus starts at 1:24, which is very, very late for any pop track and it's the same for many (but not all) of his tracks for ayu). Some of itmay be ayu's decision too though to fit the lyrics and musical story telling the way she likes it. In any event, TK's compositions are more melody-driven than most popular music today (both Western and K-pop) and he relies a lot on key changes to create tension. So this song is basically what I've come to expect from TK for ayu. Sometimes it works really well, but sometimes it makes the song feel flat and dragged out. And it makes the arranger's job more difficult I think because instead of coming up with one catchy hook that can be repeated again and again, he or she has to figure out a way to make it interesting in different ways throughout the song. I think they did a great job with Dreamed a Dream, but I also think this song could've benefited from cutting half of the first bridge and maybe the first verse too, but that might've messed up the lyrics!
You characterized TK’s composition so well!

I remembered when Tetsuya Yukumi first composed for ayu, its characteristics were the repetitive melodies (ANGEL’S SONG, Moments). When it comes to TK, it’s repetition got even more pronounced, plus the lengths of certain verses and double verses/bridges (like NO FUTURE), which makes the song really unorthodox and insane in today’s pop world. And I love them for exactly that reason! I think DaD has so much tension because of the long verse, not despite of it

Last edited by KPL; 30th July 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:03 PM
JEWEL Initiate

New doesn't always mean better lol.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:08 PM
ayu trance Initiate

It’s what I think. In 2007 yuta arrangements were fresh ! To me Decision is still astounding as ever but I think him and Ayu are going full circle now and I just can’t imagine any evolution for both of them musically. I don’t mind if she keeps him for the distinctive Ayu sound but I look foreword for something new... still Dreamed a dream is fantastic but Can’t help being curious if the arrangements would have be done by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
New doesn't always mean better lol.
That’s true but it’s good sometimes to takes some risks but I don’t want to sound annoying she prove with this song she can surprises us so I look forward for the next step.

Last edited by mizuki-7; 30th July 2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:10 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I love TK's unorthodox song structures. The LIGHTS albums being my favorite use of it. I love that it is evident here in DaD.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:23 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

I wonder if Yuta’s house is filled with chimes.

Old 30th July 2020, 10:27 PM

^lol
Old 30th July 2020, 10:29 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by love in music View Post
dude.... DUDE this gives me old school ayu vibes and I've been LIVING for her older music. this is absolutely perfect kdljfdklgjfd it's one of those rare songs that's fresh but still so ayu. I couldn't be happier with the finished song!
This is totally the old Ayu vibe, I agree. Like it reminds me of so many things but i can't pick it out. BUt maybe as some other people said here, it reminds you of so many 90s pop tracks and that's why it feels so familliar.
I don't hate the song actually. It's pretty good, but i'm not super impressed.

This is literally giving me TM Revolution's "HOT LIMIT" vibes

Last edited by BlackSilence; 30th July 2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:34 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbow View Post
Ayu probably makes a winky face at him and that's a sign to add the chimes.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:51 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I love the song!!! I havent been this excited since I heard NO FUTURE lol.

Similar to NF, my only critique is that I wish some interesting aspects in the arrangement would be brought out more. They're kind of lost in the mix, but I think they would add interesting color to the song if brought out more. They're very faint.

I definitely hope she is planning an album. I'd be in the mood for another Love songs lol. But we'll see what she wants to do.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 30th July 2020, 10:54 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbow View Post
That's not even funny anymore. I was enjoying this song until the very end. And boom, there it is. I hate that sound at least I can cut it on iTunes and forget about it.

Tags
dreamed a dream, kazuyoshi shimomura, tetsuya komuro