[Translation] A Song for XX liner notes from beatfreak vol. 132 / Jan '99 - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries > Ayu Library > Translations

Notices

Old 23rd September 2008, 04:10 AM
Two of us Initiate

Thnks so much 4 the translation.
Old 23rd September 2008, 05:11 AM
Initiate

This is so incredibly telling not only for Ayu's songs but Ayu as a person. I'm really impressed with all the thought she put into each and every track (driving four hours in a car trying to write a song! Jesus!), it just... sets her apart, you know?

She said this thing about her songs "poker face" and "YOU" having this fragile strength to them and I completely agree. I've been saying for a while now that Ayu's songs all have a feeling/sense of hope at their core but ultimately they're very vulnerable, almost tender/wounded - even her upbeat and cheery songs, or the popular ones, feature lines that are so contrary to what you'd find it typical pop songs (evolution's "reality is a liar" for instance, UNITE!'s "people are born weak"). That, too, sets her apart.

On a more personal note I found myself nodding in agreement with a lot of things she said about herself because I realized that I'm the same way, too! I think that's one of the biggest, if not THE reason, I love Ayu's songs so much, because I can identify even with them even if their meanings are obscure or not totally clear. Plus I find it interesting that even though I haven't familiarized myself with the lyrics to ASFXX's songs like I have her others (I've memorized several and have a "basic gist/summary" of almost all of hers from I am... onwards) the meanings of the song were made plain based on how she was singing in them. These notes just proved it for me!

Thank you for posting this and thank you to those who translated! It was REALLY well done.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 23rd September 2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 23rd September 2008, 05:15 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think that the thing about Ayu is that she wasn't raised as a normal singer. She was a normal person and then was thrust into the life of a singer.

It's really weird.. she's one of the only singers that kinda just.. came from nowhere, and is now like.. WOAAAH~~
Old 23rd September 2008, 05:17 AM
Initiate

^ I think that's what makes her work, you know? She didn't have any expectations for herself in this field so somehow it makes it all the more human or all the more impressive (or disappointing, considering the stance you take, heh). She may not be the best singer but she's a helluva lot more "real" than some other artists out there.

I think that makes her easier for people to relate to her - if that makes any sense.

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Old 23rd September 2008, 05:22 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

It does make sense. Honestly, I don't really get why people "hate" Ayu for her image and all that.. as a person, she's much... less fake.

It's like, weird. Ayu has this amazing gorgeous image, but deep down she's has this complicated side / thing as opposed to some artists who are like black holes inside.
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:12 AM
SURREAL Initiate

just had a big problem today... feel ashamed and down

reading this really give me extra boost to overcome things
thanks for the translation sean!

would love to see the details for LOVEppears, duty, n I am... album
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:15 PM
ayu trance Initiate

now replying i see
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:58 PM
rainy day Initiate

Good read, indeed! A very interesting person our Ayu is.
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:55 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

It's nice to see her grow with her music. It's kind of touching how her producer supported her and gave her the confidence to become who she is today.
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:04 PM
Lelio Protector

Thank you!

Really interesting.
It's nice to know what every song is about and what ayu felt while writing them.
I love that album ^_^.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:55 AM
independent Initiate

first things first:

thanx a bunch evolusean for translating this ...

I'm always waiting for you to pop out of nowhere to translate things we all are curious about.

I bow to you and your japanese skills.

and thanks to true-chan who is always there for us, to provide us with stuff (interviews, accurate numbers, etc. ...)
we need to know about our QUEEN-BEE.

You both are amazing ... really.

~~~~~

This interview is kinda sad cause, well, she's not that AYU anymore.

Not that she has changed so much but I kinda get the feeling,
that the lyrics in her earlier stage are more intense and goosebumps-making as the lyrics
she wrote in a later stage of her career.

I love AYU to death and ya'll should now it by now, but I think that she needs to rest and come back with a bang.

AND NO... It's not that the only AYU who delivers good lyrics is AYU in a "suicidal"-like stage (someone said that way back ), but
she kinda lost the fine touch of her past.

Maybe it's just me but that's how I feel.

and again ... I LOVE AYU to death and will support her till the end in everything she makes.

Last edited by Partino; 24th September 2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 24th September 2008, 01:39 AM
Dolls Initiate

^ I get what you say. I think her most recent well thought lyrics are in MY STORY
Old 24th September 2008, 01:52 AM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Max Matsuura falling asleep with his mouth wide open is too cute XD!

I find myself relating to Ayumi more than I originally thought I did. Building walls around people, not really depending on someone or someone depending on me sounds like me. I love the thought of 'If you trust someone a great deal, then you have trust in yourself'. It's great to see the change our Empress has taken from 10 years. Hopefully, some inspiration taps Ayu on the shoulder and we hear some different lyrics.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:04 AM
Sky high Protector

thank you very much
I love your translation^^
Old 27th September 2008, 07:15 PM
Who... Initiate

Wow so cool! Thanks!

But now I'll never be able to listen to FRIEND II again without thinking of Kaori Mochida's voice...
Old 28th September 2008, 02:59 AM
Mirror Initiate

thanks so much for this translation!
Old 28th September 2008, 08:48 AM
Heartplace Initiate

“If you’re gonna screw me over, you’re gonna screw me over.”
that's soooo true.
thanks for this translation! soooo interesting! a must read for an ayu fan ^^

Old 1st October 2008, 01:08 AM
YOU Initiate

I can understand what you guys mean by not saying that she is not the same lyricists as before, but honestly you have to look at the situation from all the angles and reliaze that she is a person. And one of the most beautiful things to witness in a person is a positive change, frankly I would not still listen to Ayu if her lyrics were the same as they were ten years ago. Because this would show that she, like so many people, are stuck in a rut. It seems that many fans have this belief that if her lyrics are not like POWDER SNOW, dearest, or poker face then they are not good. People they are still great, but at a different level, look at the despair in monemtum, the courage in marionette, the hope in walking proud,the reflection in life, the honesty in fated, the ability to move on in my all, or the sheer beauty in heaven. Honestly, A Song For XX has fantastic lyrics, but so does Gulity which shocked me because the album was just as raw as her first one. She appeared to be somewhat angry and frankly, that is amazing because we see someone who is human. Do not confuse designer clothes and new lyrics with someone who does not still have the ability to touch the hearts of people. Also just wanted to add that Ayu MIGHT have repititive lyrics, because she could have writer's block but Avex has continued to make her crank out more albums. Please excuse me if I offended anyone.
Old 1st October 2008, 07:59 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: where the Sexy little things Sparkle and sing Love songs (California)
This let me know a lot about Ayu's thoughts and how much she really put into ASFXX. Thank you so much for the translation~ I am so happy to be an Ayu fan. ^^

♥sweet&simple♥
ღGraphic Junkies, UNITE!ღ
Old 1st October 2008, 10:49 AM
SCAR Initiate

All I could think when reading this was "if only you knew what was coming...".

Tags
a song for xx, ayumi hamasaki, beatfreak, liner notes, translation