'M(A)DE IN JAPAN' out June 29th + 2015 TA TOUR (TA ver.) [II] - Page 11 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 22nd June 2016, 10:14 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Has anybody else noticed the difference in mixing quality with this album? I have been listening to the first two tracks + The bonus track during my workouts (on a stereo system), and when I switch to WARNING and other A ONE tracks I noticed a substantial difference. The tracks from MADE IN JAPAN sound fuller and fill my weight room much better, and I'm able to pick hear the layers more clearly than those other tracks. And this is merely a rip from the streaming service. I'm wondering if it's an issue with how people rip audio files. I'm curious as to whether the CD rip will sound worse than the rip that's out there now, because to me it sounds flawless when I play those tracks on stereo as they are now.
No, it's studio mixing/mastering. Actual trend in music industry is to making music less and less dynamic but more and more lauder. Such music sound "better" on your smartphone or mp3 player but when you put the CD to decent audio system it will hurt your ears. Turn on "GUILTY" album - it sounds like wall of sound (instruments are flat and mixed together - not separated from each other giving you feeling of space and air between them) and it's the worse (technically) album of Ayu (shame, because songs are good).

Install Foobar2000 and add Dynamic Range Meter to it - check some of your CDs and you'll see the problem (or here's some reference for Ayu recordings: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...ayumi+hamasaki). Tracks from "M(A)DE IN JAPAN" are dynamic on level 6-8 (most of songs 7). Most of tracks from "A One" has level 4-5 (the only track with level 8 is "The GIFT"). A good level is 14+ but you can forget about it in modern mainstream pop - anything with level bigger than 7 should make us happy nowadays.
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:55 PM
Voyage Initiate

Wow, thanks for the insight! I don't really know much about mixing/mastering.
Old 23rd June 2016, 01:24 AM

^ Check out this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7mUKbi8CEg - it explains whole subject.

The same problem is with remastering of CDs (like Ayu's BEST) - it doesn't make records sound better, after "cleaning" they sound louder and less dynamic. Example: original "No way to say" from "Memorial address" - 7, remastered version from "A BEST II" and "A COMPLETE" - 5. It's the same with other songs - they lost 1-2 levels down after "remaster". I'm surprised "A BEST -15th Anniversary Edition-" is a postitive exception (dynamic of some songs leveled up comparing to their original versions, like "M": original - 7, "A COMPLETE" - 5, "A BEST -15th anni-" - 8).

Last edited by Baernash; 23rd June 2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 23rd June 2016, 03:27 AM
still alone Initiate

When I first heard the music videos on youtube, I felt like the sound was a bit better than the rips from the streaming service. I think they sound kind of harsh with not much space or air in the sound. But still good overall. In the videos Ayu's voice also sounds less loud. What Baernash is saying is all true. I have come to expect that there will always be a chance that a new album might end up loud and flat.
I wish Ayu would have continued releasing her albums on HDCDs after RAINBOW. I love the sound those offer.

Last edited by EndOfTheWorld; 23rd June 2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:00 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Has anybody else noticed the difference in mixing quality with this album? I have been listening to the first two tracks + The bonus track during my workouts (on a stereo system), and when I switch to WARNING and other A ONE tracks I noticed a substantial difference. The tracks from MADE IN JAPAN sound fuller and fill my weight room much better, and I'm able to pick hear the layers more clearly than those other tracks. And this is merely a rip from the streaming service. I'm wondering if it's an issue with how people rip audio files. I'm curious as to whether the CD rip will sound worse than the rip that's out there now, because to me it sounds flawless when I play those tracks on stereo as they are now.
As others have mentioned, she got a new mixer around the time of Party Queen and it is super noticeable on both Love Again and A One. My main complaint about both of those albums was always that they both sounded flat. Like, pancake flat. I just don't understand how her sound took such an obvious downturn in quality. I wouldn't be surprised if Made in Japan has a different mixer.
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:49 AM
Love song H-Initiate

Mad World full PV http://v.yinyuetai.com/video/2603518
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:58 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I didn't notice any changes during Party Queen, but it is super noticeable during LOVE again and A ONE.

praying for your souls

Old 23rd June 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baernash View Post
No, it's studio mixing/mastering. Actual trend in music industry is to making music less and less dynamic but more and more lauder. Such music sound "better" on your smartphone or mp3 player but when you put the CD to decent audio system it will hurt your ears. Turn on "GUILTY" album - it sounds like wall of sound (instruments are flat and mixed together - not separated from each other giving you feeling of space and air between them) and it's the worse (technically) album of Ayu (shame, because songs are good).
To be honest I will never understand why people listen to music on their smartphones. It sounds horrible. I have a sony walkman (I'm pretty satiesfied for a mp3 player) for when I'm not home and sometimes I forget to charge it and have to use my phone. Everything suddenly sounds like a bunch of noise instead of music.
But it's no wonder that a lot of people don't hear a difference in quality regarding mixing/mastering when they just listen to their music through their phone and also use cheap headphones.
Old 23rd June 2016, 01:32 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aderianu View Post
"Not available in your region because of copyright matters."

Old 23rd June 2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi-Chan View Post
To be honest I will never understand why people listen to music on their smartphones. It sounds horrible. I have a sony walkman (I'm pretty satiesfied for a mp3 player) for when I'm not home and sometimes I forget to charge it and have to use my phone. Everything suddenly sounds like a bunch of noise instead of music.
But it's no wonder that a lot of people don't hear a difference in quality regarding mixing/mastering when they just listen to their music through their phone and also use cheap headphones.
I know what you feel but nowadays a lot of people listening on smartphones only - sometimes on laptops. Market has changed and young generation don't give a sh** about quality - they not even buying CDs (just downloading mp3s or buying on iTunes because it's handy for them). If you are an audiophile than you have a problem because music industry don't care anymore to give you "quality" music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aderianu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
"Not available in your region because of copyright matters."
I uploaded it to MEGA:

MAD WORLD (full PV)

Last edited by Baernash; 23rd June 2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 23rd June 2016, 04:35 PM
July 1st Initiate

Thank you !
I really liked it, and they actually cut the middle part for the short version.
I'm a little disappointed that the black ink wasn't more "used" : it just appears and Ayu does 1 o 2 slaps and that's all. The beginning is quite long.

Old 23rd June 2016, 05:28 PM
Because of You Initiate

It is interesting that the black ink would not be on her face when she smashes it..

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 23rd June 2016, 06:49 PM
Who... Initiate

^ she doesn't seem to touch her face tho and the ink seems to be something see through
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:50 PM

^^ It seems to be too thick to that.
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:03 PM
Initiate

If you don't want to DL Mad World here it is on streaming!

https://www.facebook.com/24854211883...4935267253835/
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:23 PM
Love song H-Initiate

that ink looks like blood on her hands
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:28 PM

^ I think that was the idea. It could be pretty cool if they would make it red while leaving the rest black and white.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:12 AM
Far away Initiate

Yinyuetai banner of M(A)DE IN JAPAN

Spoiler:

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Old 24th June 2016, 02:12 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

^ what is yinyuetai? It's is nothing official right? Because this looks... I don't even want to say fanmade, because even fans do much better jobs.

Old 24th June 2016, 02:15 PM
Far away Initiate

It's like youtube but for chinese people, I think.

http://www.yinyuetai.com/

By the way, Ayu is doing good in japanese top videos.

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Last edited by Uknow!; 24th June 2016 at 02:18 PM.

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, m(a)de in japan, made in japan